Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 574

Thread: Atheist & Agnostic Family

  1. #501
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    4,705

    Default

    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the later for not having faith?

    I don't really believe in any of it either. It's what they say: "Heavens net is wide, but lets nothing through"
    If I did believe in it, I would probably go to hell.

    Also: Sorry for inactivity. I really just don't have much to talk about here lately.
    And same swx marriage.. For my own future happiness, I am for it
    Last edited by Schade; 28th May 2013 at 3:34 PM.

  2. #502
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Boaz, AL
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the later for not having faith?

    Dont believe in either but I'd more then likly end up in hell...I've always seemed to want what others dont lol

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North east England, IT EXISTS!
    Posts
    553

    Default

    Atheist/Pastafarian here. May I join? I don't exactly know what the protocol is.


    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the later for not having faith?


    I don't really care about heaven or hell. I would like to think that if there was a God he would be reasonable enough to put the nice people in heaven, and the mean people in hell rather than putting the necessarily religious in heaven and the non-religious in hell.

  4. #504
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Route 12
    Posts
    870

    Default

    First time actually contributing to this thread. I really feel like unloading a lot off my chest tonight. For me it's one of those nights where I've been thinking for to much.

        Spoiler:- This is probably going to be long. So fair Warning!:

    An a good 2 hours later.
    I put it all in a spoiler because it is rather long.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

    3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Well back past members and new members

    L.F.D.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the latter for not having faith?

    This seems to be a formulation of the rather more straightforward question "What if you're wrong?" I could probably come up with something eloquent and respectful to say in response to the question, but I do hope you all enjoy the response provided by this enviably bright and handsome young man.

    Edit: And on a more frolicsome note, allow me to share with you this tongue in cheek adaptation of the peculiarly Biblical view of existence: link. Note that I don't often approve of the tactic of reducing theistic viewpoints to only their most absurd and trivial tenets, but I'm sure in this case the humor can be appreciated by both the faithful and the faithless alike. =p
    Last edited by Profesco; 15th June 2013 at 5:51 AM.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Route 12
    Posts
    870

    Default

    That's the thing that really annoy's me is when they say People that don't have faith go to hell.
    I've over heard my family a few times who are real believers in god, an they pretty much have that thought stuck in their ways. At one moment I believe it was my cousins birthday party, my uncle, his mother, his brother, an his brother's wife all in the same room as me. Everyone else had left to do something else, but something was on the news that got them riled up. It lead to the point were one of them said "It makes me sick to see these non-believers, doesn't matter though they'll get their punishment when their burning in the fiery pits of hell.", an the other's said yup.
    I honestly wanted to say something right then an there. I can't believe you seriously think that way an say someone will be punished so sever just because they simply don't believe in "your god". But here I am a 16 year old kid(This is a few years ago) going up against 4 adults who are strong in their belief. I just sat back an said WOW in my mind.


    There's this story/series I've been working on for a few years now, an it has sort of my own way of what I believe in mixed into it. The way I see it there could be a god, but then there could be multiple gods. I believe these gods are nothing more then regular living beings like you or me, they've simply ascended in a way an possess knowledge an power that we currently don't possess or could even fathom at this point an time.
    In my series there are three beings that I've nicknamed "The Master's" their capable of creating life simply because they have the knowledge an power to do so. They either created or discovered different dimensions(haven't thought that part out yet, their still relatively new idea), an they create other beings with the same ability of creating life an sends them out to create their own world. However the three didn't just have this ability right from the start they had to learn it all. You can consider them as gods, an even their creations as gods too, but they don't demand to be worshiped by their own creations. In fact they don't communicate them as apposed to what Christians believe their god has done. They create simply because they can, in a way there's really no purpose for it, there's no ultimate plan. An with the proper learning an understanding any living being can become just like one of The Masters.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

    3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Nice to see you Profesco, and thanks for the link.

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyon View Post
    That's the thing that really annoy's me is when they say People that don't have faith go to hell.
    I've over heard my family a few times who are real believers in god, an they pretty much have that thought stuck in their ways. At one moment I believe it was my cousins birthday party, my uncle, his mother, his brother, an his brother's wife all in the same room as me. Everyone else had left to do something else, but something was on the news that got them riled up. It lead to the point were one of them said "It makes me sick to see these non-believers, doesn't matter though they'll get their punishment when their burning in the fiery pits of hell.", an the other's said yup.
    I honestly wanted to say something right then an there. I can't believe you seriously think that way an say someone will be punished so sever just because they simply don't believe in "your god". But here I am a 16 year old kid(This is a few years ago) going up against 4 adults who are strong in their belief. I just sat back an said WOW in my mind.


    There's this story/series I've been working on for a few years now, an it has sort of my own way of what I believe in mixed into it. The way I see it there could be a god, but then there could be multiple gods. I believe these gods are nothing more then regular living beings like you or me, they've simply ascended in a way an possess knowledge an power that we currently don't possess or could even fathom at this point an time.
    In my series there are three beings that I've nicknamed "The Master's" their capable of creating life simply because they have the knowledge an power to do so. They either created or discovered different dimensions(haven't thought that part out yet, their still relatively new idea), an they create other beings with the same ability of creating life an sends them out to create their own world. However the three didn't just have this ability right from the start they had to learn it all. You can consider them as gods, an even their creations as gods too, but they don't demand to be worshiped by their own creations. In fact they don't communicate them as apposed to what Christians believe their god has done. They create simply because they can, in a way there's really no purpose for it, there's no ultimate plan. An with the proper learning an understanding any living being can become just like one of The Masters.
    Yeah that's pretty typical of the "Bible thumpers" I've gotten a fair share of it myself, as I'm sure most of us probably have. It's something that will probably always exist, but hopefully we can all continue to coexist, even if some people don't want it that way, and don't even get me started on the Nik Wallenda thing, of course that even annoyed some Christians. Religion to me is just a phenomena of the human psyche to seek out a higher being for guidance, like children do to a parent. During the course of my 23 years I've transitioned from Christian to Wiccan to Atheist, but I do still love the beauty of Wicca.



    Your story has an interesting concept behind it, i myself do enjoy stories like this, just watch out for being too vague about how they acquired the knowledge, that's probably where most critics will attack you from.

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    438

    Default

    I hope it isn't too late to join.

    I don't really have religion anymore.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

  11. #511
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    What brought you to that?

    L.F.D.

  12. #512
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darato View Post
    Nice to see you Profesco, and thanks for the link.
    It's nice to see you too, Darato~ ^_^

    Here's another interesting link, but this one is rather scary or sad compared to my usual kinds. I've never had to experience anything even remotely like the girl in that link did, thank goodness. I hope the same for everyone else here, both members and non-member readers.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  13. #513
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Route 12
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Dynamo View Post
    Your story has an interesting concept behind it, i myself do enjoy stories like this, just watch out for being too vague about how they acquired the knowledge, that's probably where most critics will attack you from.
    Thx, although they don't get introduced until the end of the series. In fact how they came to be probably will never actually be explained in the series it's self, perhaps a shorten summary but nothing more.

        Spoiler:- Putting it in a spoiler since this is a little off topic.:
    Last edited by Zyon; 28th June 2013 at 5:01 PM.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

    3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

  14. #514
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    So this is a FB page by Ray Comfort. Now I don't want to see anyone spam it up, but it's just fun to see him and some of his posts towards other people who don't share his faith

    https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort?fref=ts

  15. #515
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Route 12
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Here's something I've pondered about dozens of times over. What happens when you die?

    I believe what people's religion says what happens when they die is like their security blanket. Their to afraid to admit that they don't know what truly happens when they die, believing in what their religion says happens when they die will make it less freighting for them.
    I'm Agnostic an I'll admit I have absolutely no idea on what happens when we die. I'm rather curious to see what truly happens when we die, however I'll wait for when my time comes to find out. The possibilities are really endless weather that being good or bad, or simply nothing happens, Game Over, The End, everything just stops.

    Here's just a few that I've thought of. One the simplest one that nothing happens. Second we become ghosts an continue living eternity, possibly going insane, or eventually fading into nothing, or whatever. Third we arrive in another dimension either retaining are memories or simply be reborn just like we have done in this life.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

    3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

  16. #516
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darato View Post
    So this is a FB page by Ray Comfort. Now I don't want to see anyone spam it up, but it's just fun to see him and some of his posts towards other people who don't share his faith

    https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort?fref=ts
    I checked out one post by a university student who politely requested a dialogue with Comfort to correct the mistakes he makes on evolution in one of his children-friendly books, but although it said Comfort did respond to the comment, the whole page was filled with other people arguing - I couldn't find a post by Comfort or by the original student author. It's a shame, because I wanted to see how he replies to such allegations and requests. He's promoting a new film about evolution versus God that is, according to some of the scientists he interviewed for it, a collection of nothing more than edited conversations, mined quotes, and deliberate misrepresentations of the interviewees' words - including, at times, outright deletion or denial of the arguments and evidences they offer him!

    People like Ray Comfort help me clarify why I read and talk about the "activist" kind of atheism despite pretty much being an agnostic atheist with accommodationist sympathies: it's because of the persistent attempts of religion to distort and undermine science education (and also ethical concerns re. health and discrimination).

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  17. #517
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    I checked out one post by a university student who politely requested a dialogue with Comfort to correct the mistakes he makes on evolution in one of his children-friendly books, but although it said Comfort did respond to the comment, the whole page was filled with other people arguing - I couldn't find a post by Comfort or by the original student author. It's a shame, because I wanted to see how he replies to such allegations and requests. He's promoting a new film about evolution versus God that is, according to some of the scientists he interviewed for it, a collection of nothing more than edited conversations, mined quotes, and deliberate misrepresentations of the interviewees' words - including, at times, outright deletion or denial of the arguments and evidences they offer him!

    People like Ray Comfort help me clarify why I read and talk about the "activist" kind of atheism despite pretty much being an agnostic atheist with accommodationist sympathies: it's because of the persistent attempts of religion to distort and undermine science education (and also ethical concerns re. health and discrimination).
    I'm pretty much on par with how you feel

  18. #518
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I would like to join.

    Just your standard atheist here.

    As for the most recent questions.

    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the later for not having faith?

    No. Because I don't believe there is either a heaven or hell. Case in point.

    Basically you're asking us if we have ever contemplated Pascal's Wager, which is a common question. I return with my own question, if you are believing just as insurance then isn't that just as bad as not believing at all?
    Gamertag: PhantomX0990

  19. #519
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
    I would like to join.
    Welcome and added to the list.


    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    I checked out one post by a university student who politely requested a dialogue with Comfort to correct the mistakes he makes on evolution in one of his children-friendly books, but although it said Comfort did respond to the comment, the whole page was filled with other people arguing - I couldn't find a post by Comfort or by the original student author. It's a shame, because I wanted to see how he replies to such allegations and requests. He's promoting a new film about evolution versus God that is, according to some of the scientists he interviewed for it, a collection of nothing more than edited conversations, mined quotes, and deliberate misrepresentations of the interviewees' words - including, at times, outright deletion or denial of the arguments and evidences they offer him!

    People like Ray Comfort help me clarify why I read and talk about the "activist" kind of atheism despite pretty much being an agnostic atheist with accommodationist sympathies: it's because of the persistent attempts of religion to distort and undermine science education (and also ethical concerns re. health and discrimination).
    Sad thing is that's how it is with a lot of people. You say one thing and they yell ten things wrong with it before even looking. Like the video he's making. when he asks the guy can you give me an example, and he tells him I can give you a many, but he says just one. making him out to look like he's just biding time, while many people say they have many examples of God being around us each and every day.

    So I got asked to run and be on board of my condo today, now while I know I have a few supporters already, I also have a few people I know won't vote for me cause I'm nor LDS, and they are. Really sad to know that people are like that still today.

    L.F.D.

  20. #520
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Boaz, AL
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
    I would like to join.

    Just your standard atheist here.

    As for the most recent questions.

    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the later for not having faith?

    No. Because I don't believe there is either a heaven or hell. Case in point.

    Basically you're asking us if we have ever contemplated Pascal's Wager, which is a common question. I return with my own question, if you are believing just as insurance then isn't that just as bad as not believing at all?
    There she is again

    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the later for not having faith?

    No, you can't believe in one without the other lol The bible is some kinda kids story book to me, but if Heaven and Hell turns out to exist, I'll save ya a seat in hell

    New Topic:

    If you had faith before, what made you lose it?

    As for me, I grew up in a family of 10 with parents picking favorites. I starting getting in troble alot, drugs, cussing, and things like that, I come from a religious family. So later on around the age of 13 or 14 I relized I was attracted to both sex, which of course added more hell on me...went family member to family member. Till I had one that would keep me...I lost my faith durring my time looking at other religions and relizing there all pointed toward the same god. Then I hear on the news of a gay man being stoned alive because of religious nutjobs, thats when I lost faith.
    Last edited by CGS; 15th July 2013 at 10:44 AM.

  21. #521
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Is it me or are some parts of the bible seem hypocritical??

    An example would be on how "God" Loves everyone yet being gay is a "sin" That dpesnt sound very loving to me xD

    Also who here prefers to not be around over religious people? I know i don't. It's like every single thing they do or say it's related to "God" >.<


    Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

  22. #522
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I'd like to join if possible.

    Do you ever wonder what if there is a heaven and hell and you end up in the later for not having faith?

    Yes I have wondered that, but I believe that if the God that every Christian, Jew, Jahova's Witness, and Muslim claims exists actually does then it shouldn't matter what religion someone is as long as they were a good person. Now that's not to say that I "know" for a fact a higher power doesn't exist, because I don't. Unless someone can provide proof of either existence or non existence then I will just speculate. I will never claim to know one way or the other because how could I? But if this "God" punishes everyone who doesn't believe in him I don't understand that because he or she has not given us a reason to believe. We live in an age of science and we need tangible evidence to support that a higher power exists, so without that I will say I think it is highly unlikely that there is a God.

    Quote Originally Posted by zombieoverkill12 View Post
    Is it me or are some parts of the bible seem hypocritical??

    An example would be on how "God" Loves everyone yet being gay is a "sin" That dpesnt sound very loving to me xD

    Also who here prefers to not be around over religious people? I know i don't. It's like every single thing they do or say it's related to "God" >.<
    I know exactly what you mean I am living in the Bible Belt right now(temporarily) and it's insane how judgmental people here are.
    Last edited by Thor72; 15th July 2013 at 8:00 PM.
    White 2 fc: 4084-6411-0409


        Spoiler:- Credit:

  23. #523
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Boaz, AL
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I have a question I haven't gotten a clear answer to.

    If "God" created us, who created him?

  24. #524
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    495

    Default

    And to add to that if god is a supernatural being then why people refer to him as a white male? Doesn't make sense


    Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

  25. #525
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zombieoverkill12 View Post
    And to add to that if god is a supernatural being then why people refer to him as a white male? Doesn't make sense
    Lol ya. My favorite though is the argument for black or white Jesus. He's from Jerusalem it's not that hard to figure out what color he was.
    White 2 fc: 4084-6411-0409


        Spoiler:- Credit:

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •