Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist & Agnostic Family

So I was in a debate with a theist just now and they said unless we could solve thermodynamic's entropy, she wouldn't believe.

How does entropy of matter, well matter?
    Thunder Ghouls is getting low on members and we could use your support. Join us
    FC for Trading and Battling:2666 3899 5906
    Name: Azukan(happyface) Record: 3W-8L
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/344uwsj.gif[/IMG] I have alot of bred Deinos. They need homes.

My Best Friend Pokemon: Smashy Gorebyss Honchkrow     Spoiler:- Credits:

Theist or creationist? I've heard the argument that, since evolution by natural selection claims to generate order and design from chaos, it violates the law of entropy (generally that the universe continuously moves towards ultimate diffusion and chaos); since those two scientific theories conflict, they're both useless and God's hand in creation and maintenance is the correct explanation for our universe's existence and variety. But I don't know if that's what you experienced, Azukan. =x

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Theist or creationist? I've heard the argument that, since evolution by natural selection claims to generate order and design from chaos, it violates the law of entropy (generally that the universe continuously moves towards ultimate diffusion and chaos); since those two scientific theories conflict, they're both useless and God's hand in creation and maintenance is the correct explanation for our universe's existence and variety. But I don't know if that's what you experienced, Azukan. =x
    Thats actually it but I did some research on the second law and found that her conception of the second law was flawed.
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/344uwsj.gif[/IMG] I have alot of bred Deinos. They need homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve23 View Post
    I just never have heard someone saying they wanted to be a virgin until the day they died.
    Why would someone do that?

Quote Originally Posted by AzukanAsimbu View Post
    Its not that creepy. I'd also like to know why someone would want to be a virgin forever (aside from religious reasons)
    ...I'm not religous, I'm pure Athiest!

Do you guys REALLY want me to say why?

Also, are we for or against Deism?

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Leave moonlight alone guys, if she doesn't want to tell you then she doesn't have to >.>.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    Leave moonlight alone guys, if she doesn't want to tell you then she doesn't have to >.>.
    ...Thank you so much, 7 tyranitars.

That akward moment, when I was right and Moonlight's decisions weren't of our concern
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Absol View Post
    Why would someone do that?

...I'm not religous, I'm pure Athiest!

Do you guys REALLY want me to say why?

Also, are we for or against Deism?
    I'm personally not a fan of deism. Its really, as Dawkins described it, "watered down theism." Its really just a last resort to theism. Its the "well its not the Christian God, but I still want to believe."

Thats actually it but I did some research on the second law and found that her conception of the second law was flawed.
    Ah, well, that's understandable. I haven't retained plenty of the information about physical and chemical laws I learned back in high school, and I paid pretty close attention to learning them. Knowledge you don't use tends to fade over the years, and if you start out potentially resistant to it anyway, chances are you're not going to understand it all that well no matter what.

I'm personally not a fan of deism. Its really, as Dawkins described it, "watered down theism." Its really just a last resort to theism. Its the "well its not the Christian God, but I still want to believe."
    I guess it might be described as a sort of "last resort" compared to theism, but I'd say it's because it's much harder to counter the idea of a very minimalist "prime mover" sort of deism than it is to counter the various personal and complex kinds of god you find in theism. Traditional arguments for God's existence all fail to prove any specific god, but they point to a deistic entity to the extent that they convincingly point to anything at all. So even if you can really show how unlikely, unnecessary, and undesirable a theistic God might be, those arguments don't really touch a deistic conception. And given our best cosmologies today are still only just scraping at the kinds of explanations for how there's something rather than nothing (particularly since that latest report about the unfortunate and perplexing lack of evidence for antimatter/dark matter that our inflation-expansion and flat universe theories depend on), an original something to oomph the rest of it into action remains a respectable option.

That sounds awfully deistic of me, doesn't it? I don't happen to be a deist, but I guess I can accept the more or less reasonability of the points made in its defense. *shrug*

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

But Profesco, if the universe was created by God, who created God? If God was always there, why couldn't the universe be always there? :x
    THIS DAY IS GOING TO BE PERFECT
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

But isn't it just believing in nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeet View Post
    But Profesco, if the universe was created by God, who created God? If God was always there, why couldn't the universe be always there? :x
    Ooh, nice question!

Any more questions about my virginity will be met with a slap.

Ooh, nice question!

Now don't start with it again :P.

Ooh, nice question!

Believing in Nature isn't deism. I guess that could a personal form of pantheism or paganism

Believing in Nature isn't deism. I guess that could a personal form of pantheism or paganism
    I'll look it up.

Diesm is more like you believe there was a supernatural being who set everything in motion but left afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    Diesm is more like you believe there was a supernatural being who set everything in motion but left afterwards.
    Makes a little more sense than Christianity and all that stuff.

Makes a little more sense than Christianity and all that stuff.
    Yes, it makes more sense than the mayor religions, but it still has no logical explenation to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Geek View Post
    Yes, it makes more sense than the mayor religions, but it still has no logical explenation to it.
    I was reading this book, and apparently God is an Invisible Flying Clown. '-_-

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Geek View Post
    It would imply that the creator had to have a creator of itself, which leads to an infinite regress of creator beings.

Also there is no evidence of such a being. "Beauty of nature" doesn't count.

The catch to religion really just is "believe and great reward will come your way at death". People simply think that "OMG we should believe because we will go to heaven!". But where is the proof?

The catch to religion really just is "believe and great reward will come your way at death". People simply think that "OMG we should believe because we will go to heaven!". But where is the proof?
    I think thats why people always get duped by Pascal's Wager. It is either, believe and be rewarded or don't believe and be punished. Theists haven't really stopped to question, "Is there even a reward or punishment?"

I think thats why people always get duped by Pascal's Wager. It is either, believe and be rewarded or don't believe and be punished. Theists haven't really stopped to question, "Is there even a reward or punishment?"
    There is no proof for either, seeing its the "afterlife" sort of thing. Heaven vs Hell, you know?

So I have an old friend who got a controlling girlfriend this year that turned him into a Christian and made him go from Bi to Straight. Now he's not himself anymore. What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaMaster View Post
    So I have an old friend who got a controlling girlfriend this year that turned him into a Christian and made him go from Bi to Straight. Now he's not himself anymore. What should I do?
    Remind him of who he is. Don't let an oppressive relationship make him into something he isn't. I've been through it myself and i was fortunate to realize it and break away.

Quote Originally Posted by Raddaya View Post
    That's a sufficient question to end the discussion in most cases, but if I was a deist and really wanted to press the issue, I'd say that the universe and a deity are two different ... (well, I would typically say either "things" or "matters" here, but as the next couple of sentences will show, those words don't actually work here!). The universe is material and a deity is immaterial so their "beginnings" aren't the same kinds of events. The universe is a something and so does need a measurable start as all [i]things[/i[ do, but a deity is not a something. A deity might be (and has been) described as the "essence of existence" or the "eternal force that is" or some other pseudomystical gobbledegook that doesn't really translate into understandable, definite terms or concepts. So one probably does need a finite beginning, while one may or may not need such a beginning - the point is they're not perfectly comparable on the "eternal" question.

But it's still a flawed and useless response to your question, because we don't - can't? - know much at all, if anything, about the nature of such an immaterial whatchamacallit and can't yet say it's the case with any confidence. All it gives us is a might-be of a possibility, and to rely on it as an explanation is no less a "god of the gaps" fallacy than those we encounter in the argument over evolution. (You read my review, after all, and see how I attempt to critique the idea of eternal and irreducibly complex immaterial entities, so rest assured I'm not advocating the argument - just explaining it.)

Either way, deism survives some of the arguments that demolish theism.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast