TANKgrowth
    @Left-overs
    Leaf Guard / Regenerator
    Relaxed [ 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 Atk ] or [ 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpAtk ]
    - Toxic
    - Knock Off / Synthesis / Leech Seed
    - Power Whip / Giga Drain
    - Earthquake / Hp [Fire]

Toxic hurts. Knock Off annoys Choice Bander/Scarfer/Specser, Life Orb, Eviolite, Left-overs etc. Synthesis restores HP. Leech Seed does the same. Moves remain are filler and can be used against taunt.

Offensive
    @Life Orb
    Adamant [ 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 Atk ]
    Chlorophyll / Leaf Guard / Regenerator

- Swords Dance
    - Power Whip
    - Earthquake
    - Poison Jab

Offensive 2
    @Choice Specs
    Modest [ 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpAtk ]
    Chlorophyll / Leaf Guard / Regenerator

- Giga Drain / Solar Beam / Energy Ball / Leaf Storm / Grass Knot
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Focus Blast
    - HP [ Fire ] / HP [Ground]

Basically, the damage-dealing set. Moves are self-explanatory.

Tangela@Evolite
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Att, 4 Def
    Ability: Regenerator
    -Sleep Powder
    -Leech Seed
    -Leaf Storm
    -Endeavor

Basic Set-up: Sleep Powder+Leech Seed, then switch out. This items and Evs makes tangela as bulky as it can, though more on the physical side given its really poor sp.def. Since Tangela is going to be switching out, might as well give it the most powerful Leaf storm. If you predict a powerful super-effective move, use endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    Doesn't leaf guard prevent rest from working at all...
    Edit: it doesn't cure preexisting conditions either...looks like sun teams get the shaft yet again
    What the Feraligatr!
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678

Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Set up on like a Volcarona and you're good. You take a Bug Buzz or a Heat Wave or a Hurricane or a Flamethrower or a Fire Blast or a Fiery Dance to the knee and Endeavor. Works great with Ice Beam, Blizzard, Air Slash, Sludge Bomb, etc.
    I've bolded my first issue with Endeavor sets. You need to avoid the random Status affliction to use it properly. Burn and Poison will KO you outright (SB has a whopping 30% chance). Freeze and Flinch will prevent Endeavor from being used. Confusion (from Hurricane) will potentially KO you outright.

On top of that, You need to make sure your opponent isn't going to set up against you. Many opponents will chip off a little HP with Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, or Knock Off, rendering your Focus Sash + Endeavor strategy unusable. Knock Off, while weak, is an asset against Tangrowth due to the potential for Base 100 HP + Leftovers.

Even worse is that 1 HP Endeavor is useless to Tangrowth's survival against Rough Skin and/or Iron Barbs Abilities (though not likely to be used against them) and can potentially backfire against Flame Body and/or Poison Point Abilities (Volcarona has Flame Body, remember). Worse yet, if the opponent switches outright when you select Endeavor, you've tipped your hand and they'll know you've given it your Focus Sash (which could've saved another Pokemon like Weavile, Accelgor, or Durant).
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    I've bolded my first issue with Endeavor sets. You need to avoid the random Status affliction to use it properly. Burn and Poison will KO you outright (SB has a whopping 30% chance). Freeze and Flinch will prevent Endeavor from being used. Confusion (from Hurricane) will potentially KO you outright.

On top of that, You need to make sure your opponent isn't going to set up against you. Many opponents will chip off a little HP with Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, or Knock Off, rendering your Focus Sash + Endeavor strategy unusable. Knock Off, while weak, is an asset against Tangrowth due to the potential for Base 100 HP + Leftovers.

Even worse is that 1 HP Endeavor is useless to Tangrowth's survival against Rough Skin and/or Iron Barbs Abilities (though not likely to be used against them) and can potentially backfire against Flame Body and/or Poison Point Abilities (Volcarona has Flame Body, remember). Worse yet, if the opponent switches outright when you select Endeavor, you've tipped your hand and they'll know you've given it your Focus Sash (which could've saved another Pokemon like Weavile, Accelgor, or Durant).
    Amen, I mean Volcarona is basically the grave digger for Tangrowth, but there are ways to defeat it, Rock Slide, Ancient Power, even Earthquake can do the trick, you just have to do it at the right time.
    Ya, Gallade and Whimsicott Rule.
    Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post

FEAR strategy better used by lvl 1 aron in the sandstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I'm just wondering why we're coming up with suicide sets on a Pokemon like Tangrowth, who has more physical bulk than Dialga. That's like buying a new Mac laptop and using it to hammer nails into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I'm just wondering why we're coming up with suicide sets on a Pokemon like Tangrowth, who has more physical bulk than Dialga. That's like buying a new Mac laptop and using it to hammer nails into a wall.
    I though that was the real use of a Mac laptop..

yeah there's no point to suiside.. also his special bulk isn't THAT bad it can survive non effective special attacks thx to his HP stat

Giga Drain should be his main STAB as it brings him lots of health back while inflicting damage and don't forgget 110 base special attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    Doesn't leaf guard prevent rest from working at all...
    Edit: it doesn't cure preexisting conditions either...looks like sun teams get the shaft yet again

No it doesn't... you can still use rest with leaf guard.
    IDK about healing preexisting statuses but I'm pretty sure that you can use rest with leaf guard.

Edit: OMG... I checked and you're right!!! Scratch my second set... It's now worthless...
    Although I read somewhere that we can still use rest but I guess they are wrong!!!
    Last edited by Rayofquazar; 2nd April 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post
    IDK about healing preexisting statuses but I'm pretty sure that you can use rest with leaf guard.

Edit: OMG... I checked and you're right!!! Scratch my second set... It's now worthless...
    Although I read somewhere that we can still use rest but I guess they are wrong!!!
    Wherever you read that, they were probably thinking that Leaf Guard worked like Hydration, which merely heals status at the end of every turn during rain. Which will lead to me making a separate post for Shelmet the week we cover Accelgor.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post

Being several people appear to be confused about this, I tested out a Leaf Guard Tangrowth on my White Version, aaaand...

...it is definitely not possible to use Rest when Leaf Guard is in effect.
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

Thank you so very much, Charizard Lizzy. There are so many mechanic changes in Gen 5 that an individual with lots of time cannot discover them all. Much like Healing Wish/Lunar Dance failing if there's no Pokemon to switch to. I found that out searching for Ditto in Black Version while building up Levels for my Synchronize Ability Pokemon (Clefairy use it quite often in the wild).

Not only curing, but also preventing. Much like a Full Heal when it first activates and a Safeguard until the weather changes. Good to know. Very good...

Kudos to you, C.L.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    Forgot to post about Tangela.

The Ball of Spong
    Tangela @ Eviolite
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
    Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Hidden Power Rock/Ground/Fire/Ice
    - Leech Seed
    Tangela can do pretty much the same as Tangrowth but although it has a higher Defense, it has lower HP and Special Defense, and a lack of Leftovers. So mostly use this in the Little Cup, where it will wall physical attackers to death.
    The main Tangela set I know of is

Tangela @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP/252Def/4SDef
    Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    -Sleep Powder
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power [Ice] / Stun Spore
    -Leech Seed / Knock Off / Stun Spore

Sleep Powder is for putting things to... Sleep. Giga Drain allows it to not be taunt bait (also beating several of the taunters in OU, where unfortunatly it's outclassed by Tangrowth, but I don't play LC though), while also providing it with a STAB recovery move. Hidden Power [Ice] allows it to revenge any dragons that are trying to sweep, while Stun Spore stops it from being set up fodder after it's used Sleep Powder. Leech Seed can be extra recovery and residual damage to the foe, while Knock Off can get rid of a foes inportant item, and doesn't get taunted. Regenerator is especially useful on this set, as it has no reliable recovery, and that 30% boost on it's HP every time it switches out is greatly appreciated.

Although... That set will be bad in OU (outclassed by Tangrowth) and I don't know about LC. I play too much NU, and that might be the only tier where my set is good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    The main Tangela set I know of is

Tangela @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP/252Def/4SDef
    Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    -Sleep Powder
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power [Ice] / Stun Spore
    -Leech Seed / Knock Off / Stun Spore

Sleep Powder is for putting things to... Sleep. Giga Drain allows it to not be taunt bait (also beating several of the taunters in OU, where unfortunatly it's outclassed by Tangrowth, but I don't play LC though), while also providing it with a STAB recovery move. Hidden Power [Ice] allows it to revenge any dragons that are trying to sweep, while Stun Spore stops it from being set up fodder after it's used Sleep Powder. Leech Seed can be extra recovery and residual damage to the foe, while Knock Off can get rid of a foes inportant item, and doesn't get taunted. Regenerator is especially useful on this set, as it has no reliable recovery, and that 30% boost on it's HP every time it switches out is greatly appreciated.

Although... That set will be bad in OU (outclassed by Tangrowth) and I don't know about LC. I play too much NU, and that might be the only tier where my set is good at.
    Oops, that second Leech Seed should've been Sleep Powder. I edited that.
    Yeah my set is somewhat similar to that set, I was just trying to be a little different so that we don't all post the almost same thing. From Smogon. Which a lot of people do.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Let me just say that in RU, perhaps the number one partner for Tangrowth is Slowking. Slowking's great special bulk pairs very well with Tangrowth's physical bulk, and the two cover several of eachothers' weaknesses very well. In addition, they have plenty of resistances between the two of them. But what's most interesting is that they both have Regenerator. TangKing Regenerator cores are very effective in RU stall, since they can switch between the two of them to soak up whatever attacks they need to soak up, as well as restore 1/3 of their health each time they do. To make things even more interesting, Tangrowth adds the extra utility of Sleep Powder into the mix, and Leech Seed can be used to not only restore health for itself, but for Slowking as well. Slowking also brings paralysis/burn support and Dragon Tail phazing to the table.

The core isn't perfect, though. Slowking does not resist Tangrowth's Flying and Poison weaknesses, Tangrowth does not resist Slowking's Dark and Ghost weaknesses, and both of them are weak to Bug. In addition, Tangrowth is not very bulky on the special side, meaning that powerful special Grass and Electric attacks aimed at Slowking, though resisted, can still do a number on Tangrowth. Luckily, these problems can, for the most part, be solved by a sturdy Steel type. Steelix and Magneton go a long way in solving TangKing's problems. I've found Magneton to be the most effective for a number of reasons. For one, it has better mixed defenses, synergizing with the defenses of TangKing much more easily. It can also trap opposing Steels and kill them off when necessary and, unlike Steelix, it can very reliably tank strong special Grass attacks that both Tangrowth and Slowking might have trouble with. For example, Specs Sceptile's Leaf Storm has a shot at 2HKOing Tangrowth and can OHKO or 2HKO Steelix, depending on the EV spread, while it won't have such an easy time against Magneton. Steelix, though, does have enormous physical bulk, meaning that few physical attackers will break through it and Tangrowth. It also has the advantage of Leftovers recovery, Stealth Rock support, and Dragon Tail phazing. Either way, both Steels may also benefit from Tangrowth's Leech Seed, which can be very useful. Then for the heck of it, you can throw on Clefable for Wish and Heal Bell support and you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    Forgot to post about Tangela.

The Ball of Spong
    Tangela @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
    Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Hidden Power Rock/Ground/Fire/Ice
    - Sleep Powder
    Tangela can do pretty much the same as Tangrowth but although it has a higher Defense, it has lower HP and Special Defense, and a lack of Leftovers. So mostly use this in the Little Cup, where it will wall physical attackers to death.
    But Tangela is banned from LC..

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    But Tangela is banned from LC..
    Sorry I did not know that. Even still, Tangela is a great abuser of Eviolite because it has stats for a once final evolution. I guess if you have something against Tangrowth but you love Tangela then it's the Pokémon for you.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

A slow set with Payback and Sleep Powder here. Don't have the inspiration to name this set.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp.Def - 0 IVs in Speed
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Regenerator

- Payback
    - Sleep Powder
    - Earthquake
    - Power Whip

This set might seem like a gimmick one, but it aims to lower Tangrowth's Speed as much as possible so that you can hit your opponent with full power Payback as many times as possible. Tangrowth needs to have a lot of bulk, but it also needs Max Attack. His Speed reaches 94 with a -Speed Nature and 0 IVs. Then, you can use Payback to hit Pokemon weak to Dark slightly more powerful than Power Whip, as well as picking off Pokemon resistant to Power Whip(for example, Latios is OHKOed almost always after Stealth Rock damage). Regenerator allows you to switch out of Flying-types that are preying on Tangrowth's weaker special defense, such as Tornadus, as well as keeping Tangrowth alive for a long time. Power Whip remains a strong STAB that hits Pokemon not resisting it very hard, and Earthquake destroys Fire-types that think this is a Physical Tank set, as well as offering very wide coverage. Sleep Powder is useful for crippling your opponent, but it's more like a filler move, since Tangrowth is so slow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12