Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: Was SPPf meant to have this nature?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    703

    Question Was SPPf meant to have this nature?

    Now look, I've been on this site since February 2010 and I love it so much. It's the best Pokemon site I've ever visited and I've had a good experience here. But for some reason I feel like some things are done a little overboard, that's the only way I can phrase it for now. So here's the main intention of the thread, a question:

    Does SPPf purposefully have a strict environment, or has it always been like that? That's the best word I can find to describe the entire forum. I just want to know why everything is so seriously played out, and by that I mean all the rules in different sections. Of course this may be classed as a stupid question because any site/forum rules are obviously not just there to say "Don't do this" or "Always do that".

    I defined SPPf as being quite strict when I found out that forum games had to go through approval of mods/admins. A while ago I posted in the Corrupted Wish forum game that I wished (as a slight joke, of course) that Serebii wasn't so strict. The next persons' response?

    "Granted, trolls bash and obliberate people on the site."

    That's when I half-understood everything. The site aims to keep the forum 100% troll-proof. This is completely natural for any forum, but I feel that Serebii is more, let's say focused, on the matter.

    So the main question is: Was SPPf originally a strict environment, or did something happen to cause it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Still inside a pumpkin.
    Posts
    332

    Default

    I seem to remember that it has always been like this. Even though I am a relatively new member. Joe Merrick just wants to make sure that SPPf is safe from trolls and spammers.
    Shinies:

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco
    Listen to PerseusRad.
    http://i.imgur.com/EUkIomS.jpg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I can't say I can remember how things were when I first joined too well, but this place was stricter than some other communities I was a part of at the time. I'd chalk it up to having a polite and respectful community free of trolls, drama, and hate.

  4. #4

    Default

    Probably all the trolls such as Ethan and the Dattebayo incident, it's been more strict.

    キバゴ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Dying World
    Posts
    3,603

    Default

    SPPf can never truly be free of drama/trolls/hate, but I'm impressed by how well it's under wraps. If you took a quick glance through the forums you'd see nothing of the sort, that's what I'm thinking, but to answer your question it's not so much strict as it's more like people aren't so retarded as to disobey the (loose) rules.


    "History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Lol, troll-proof? There's no such thing.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,185

    Default

    SPPf is not strict at all. I don't know what you're talking about.

    Though sometimes rules enforcement basically seems to be a matter of random chance, sometimes, considering the sorts of people who aren't banned.
    Last edited by Mariya Shidou; 2nd April 2012 at 11:41 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerseusRad View Post
    I seem to remember that it has always been like this. Even though I am a relatively new member. Joe Merrick just wants to make sure that SPPf is safe from trolls and spammers.
    How do you know Serebii's full name? O_o

    And I bet it got stricter thanks to a bunch of old Trolls. (people that have been here for a while should know)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    sunshine and rainbows land
    Posts
    4,112

    Default

    I like it here. I don't find it strict. It keeps the place in order, without the rules this place would be retarded.

    Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    How do you know Serebii's full name? O_o
    It wouldn't be too hard if you look up Serebii.Net on another site like Bulbapedia.

    if you have some free time, check out my new demo! ~ last.fm ~ steam

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    And I bet it got stricter thanks to a bunch of old Trolls. (people that have been here for a while should know)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGG View Post
    It wouldn't be too hard if you look up Serebii.Net on another site like Bulbapedia.
    It's hardly even a secret then. I don't know if it's regularly used, though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Still inside a pumpkin.
    Posts
    332

    Default

    *Ahem*

    Let's not derail this thread. Get back on topic. Though it has been mostly covered.
    Shinies:

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco
    Listen to PerseusRad.
    http://i.imgur.com/EUkIomS.jpg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    16,221

    Default

    The reason we enforce the rules is because, as the largest Pokémon community on the net, we get many people and as such, chaos would ensue if we did not have guidelines.

    Compared to some other communities, we are actually more lenient with our infractions and we give people more chances that some deserve

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Philippines. (GMT+8)
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    The reason we enforce the rules is because, as the largest Pokémon community on the net, we get many people and as such, chaos would ensue if we did not have guidelines.

    Compared to some other communities, we are actually more lenient with our infractions and we give people more chances that some deserve
    Correct. If they weren't so strict and if they didn't made infraction systems, this would be a World of War and Chaos.




    "Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until they speak."

    ~~~Black FC: 0175 6765 7656~~~
    ~~~X FC: 0259 1258 2670~~~

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    The reason we enforce the rules is because, as the largest Pokémon community on the net, we get many people and as such, chaos would ensue if we did not have guidelines.

    Compared to some other communities, we are actually more lenient with our infractions and we give people more chances that some deserve
    Of all the internet sites I've been to Serebii is by far the most casual. I can't remember the last time I had to ban someone. Heck, I can't even remember the last infraction I gave out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    16,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Of all the internet sites I've been to Serebii is by far the most casual. I can't remember the last time I had to ban someone. Heck, I can't even remember the last infraction I gave out.
    And yet we're known as being the strictest on the net. Interesting

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    The reason we enforce the rules is because, as the largest Pokémon community on the net, we get many people and as such, chaos would ensue if we did not have guidelines.

    Compared to some other communities, we are actually more lenient with our infractions and we give people more chances that some deserve
    By "we" I think you mean "you", bro. 8|

    But it's kind of a mixed bag. I don't think mods are incapable of or completely beyond being occasionally prickly, whether it's warranted or not (sometimes, people just don't listen, so obviously that's going to be frustrating when warnings go ignored), but even now, I feel like it could be a lot worse.

    Especially on a forum that is bound by both popularity and fandom choice to get more younger kids who may not be all that well-versed in forum/internet etiquette. I mean, in one sense, it helps not to drive people away by being a massive, unapproachable jackass, but at the same time, coddling them and repeatedly giving them little slaps on the wrist for things they know they can get away with isn't exactly a great long-term approach to modding.


    SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

    Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    First, while I do agree with most of the rule enforcement here (mainly because it does make sense 99 percent of the time), it does sometimes seem that mods in certain sections of the site do need to lighten up a bit.

    If you look at the Anime section, you'll probably see an example of this in five seconds. Topics get closed constantly, because Mods feel they go nowhere without even giving the topic a chance to breathe. Character threads centering around people that are no longer in the Anime often get closed so fast, that it's going look like this site just hates the older characters to anybody that's new here. It also seems like when these topics are closed, it punishes everyone, when in actuality it's only a few people that ruin it for everyone. A minor nitpick to be sure, but one that shouldn't be totally ignored.


    Second, I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts like this:

    Revisit the rules and lurk a bit more before posting.
    They're not always worded exactly like this, but alot of Mods are guilty of this, and probably don't realize just how unprofessional this post sounds to the general public and how bad it makes the site look in general. I hate to say it this way, because it's going to sound like I'm insulting the Mods, and that's not my intention. This is simply constructive criticism. But any topic closing post that says 'read the rules' and doesn't specify what rules were broken should never be posted as a reason for closing a topic, on ANY message board. This post gives anyone who's new on the site the impression that the mods either:

    a - Don't know what specific rules were broken

    b - Are too lazy to post the rules in question

    I know this makes it sound like I'm calling out the staff, and that's not the purpose of this post. Generally speaking, the staff does a very good job. But while veterans like me know exactly what rules were broken just by glancing at these topics most of the time (even without reading the reason for a topic being closed), this isn't about me. It's about what every message board's priority typically is (or should be), getting new members to permanently join. New members are the type of people that will take one look at that kind of post, turn around (hit the <- key) and find another board to join. There is absolutely no excuse for any Mod to not take 20 extra seconds to click the rules section and copy and paste what rule was broken as the reason for closing the topic. Then by all means, you can refer them to the rules.


    This part's a bit off topic, but it needs to be said because otherwise, there will be a post containing this sentence on this topic anyway. Mods like to use this as a response to what I just said.

    We simply don't have enough time to make those posts on every topic we close.
    So I'm going to address that pre-emptively. If it's a question about not having enough time to do that, then you clearly don't have enough Moderators. This should never be an excuse, because it makes any business (yes, Message Boards are a form of business) look amateur. If time versus manpower becomes an issue, then it's time to get more Moderators. There is at least one Admin and 2 Mods on every section of every board my company runs. This excuse has never once come up in the open on any of those boards, and one of them takes in over 10000 posts a day.

    I'm not saying it's not a valid statement. Just that it's one that should stay behind closed doors and should never be seen by the public. If Mods have to make that kind of remark at all, then it's probably a strong indication that the board is under-staffed.


    Finally, remember that this is a Pokemon site. You are going to get young kids on this board. It's inevitable. And contrary to what any member on this site will say, this is a fact:

    KIDS ARE IMPATIENT! KIDS LIKE TO HAVE FUN! KIDS ARE POKEMON'S TARGET AUDIENCE!

    They don't pay attention to rules on message boards, especially when there are as many as there are on this board. Anyone that tells you otherwise is probably uninformed (and is probably not very good with kids).

    And let's not BS each other, this board has ALOT of rules, more than most boards do, and (HARD TRUTH) probably more than any Pokemon board really needs. Kids do not have the patience to search for each and every rule to make sure they aren't violating some clause that's buried under everything else here or posting a topic that the rules don't want them posting for whatever reason. They're here to talk about Pokemon, not to stress over whether a topic is ok to post or not, and saying 'Read the rules' and closing the topic is not going to get you anywhere with those people, and it isn't going to help them become better members. It's just going to make them want to go to another site.


    Finally, I see alot of topics being closed where the poster will ask a question and the Mod will close the topic and respond by either saying this is the wrong place, or posting a link to the rules. Ok. But why not just answer the question in the closing post? Then you can refer the person to that section. This ties into the whole topic closure issue. There really is no viable excuse for not taking the extra few seconds to answer a question before closing a topic.


    Ok. I think that's about it. I don't close posts very well, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Last edited by SBaby; 5th April 2012 at 2:57 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Your computer screen.
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Personally, I don't really find the forums that strict, but that's because I use some common sense. Skimming the rules and having common sense are really the only things you need to not get infracted. Sure, everyone makes mistakes sometimes, but the rare infraction for something small really isn't that big of a deal. The main reason I think that the site has so many rules is because Serebii wants to keep the site professional and running well. Yes, there's a reason for all of the rules here, and it's a good thing that there are so many. Helps make the site look more professional and be more well-run.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    Personally, I don't really find the forums that strict, but that's because I use some common sense. Skimming the rules and having common sense are really the only things you need to not get infracted. Sure, everyone makes mistakes sometimes, but the rare infraction for something small really isn't that big of a deal. The main reason I think that the site has so many rules is because Serebii wants to keep the site professional and running well. Yes, there's a reason for all of the rules here, and it's a good thing that there are so many. Helps make the site look more professional and be more well-run.
    Having rules is important (and most of them do make sense, to some degree), nobody's arguing that. But honestly, there are far too many here. Most kids are not going to have the patience to read them all. And make no mistake about it, Pokemon's target audience is, and always has been, kids. So therefore, message boards centered around Pokemon must also have that demographic in mind during their conception.
    Last edited by SBaby; 5th April 2012 at 3:04 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Second, I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts like this:
    This happened not too long ago, someone asked this:

    Quote Originally Posted by darkkyurem
    hello i wanted to know how i can add a pic to my sig. i have a picture i would like to add but it wont let me add it. someone please help me. Thanks
    The first reply to the thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf
    The answer is in the Newbie FAQ in the Newbie Forum, which is where this question should have gone, not Serebii.net Discussion.
    And it was closed.



    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    The reason we enforce the rules is because, as the largest Pokémon community on the net, we get many people and as such, chaos would ensue if we did not have guidelines.
    We already know that, it's pretty obvious.
    Last edited by Green Blockhead; 7th April 2012 at 5:40 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,878

    Default

    Kids have to learn to do things themselves, and not expect everything to be done for them. If a mod replies with "Read the Rules" or "Go to this forum", then it's encouraging that person to find the information for themselves. Lest we have people posting "Can someone find this thread for me?" again, because they can't be bothered to look for it themselves.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dragon Roost Island
    Posts
    5,137

    Default

    Too strict, what? This is one of the most lenient sites that I know of. A lot of other sites just ban you right off the bat, and have no real infraction system other than mods just telling you off. The rules are no different than any other forum, really.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    If you look at the Anime section, you'll probably see an example of this in five seconds. Topics get closed constantly, because Mods feel they go nowhere without even giving the topic a chance to breathe. Character threads centering around people that are no longer in the Anime often get closed so fast, that it's going look like this site just hates the older characters to anybody that's new here. It also seems like when these topics are closed, it punishes everyone, when in actuality it's only a few people that ruin it for everyone. A minor nitpick to be sure, but one that shouldn't be totally ignored.
    Lurk in anime a bit more and you'll see why. People erupt into arguments over the slightest things in that section, they can't afford to just leave threads centring on a character open. Enough threads already turn into Iris/Misty/Piplup hate, there's no need for a thread about them. It's not the mod's fault that people can't discuss whether or not Piplup should be executed civilly B|

    They don't pay attention to rules on message boards, especially when there are as many as there are on this board. Anyone that tells you otherwise is probably uninformed (and is probably not very good with kids).
    Um, there are not that many rules here. I'm a member of some other forums, and this one is bar far the most lenient in regards to rules, and in my opinion works better with it. The majority of the rules (no spamming, no flaming, don't evade bans etc.) are just common sense and are on practically every forum. The only iffy rule would be the image macro one, and that's never enforced anyway.

    And let's not BS each other, this board has ALOT of rules, more than most boards do, and (HARD TRUTH) probably more than any Pokemon board really needs.
    Again, no there isn't. Please, show all of these excess rules that you're talking about. As I said, the only unneeded rule in my opinion is the gifs one.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterFoster111 View Post
    This happened not too long ago, someone asked this:



    The first reply to the thread?



    And it was closed..
    And, uh, what was the problem with that? The FAQ exists for a reason: to be used in situations like that.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in a geometric concept.
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Lets take Pokecommunity!
    "If you earn up to or have exceeded 9 infraction points, your account will be suspended for two weeks.
    Earning 15 points or more will result in your account being suspended for one month.
    Earning 18 points or more or at least 10 infractions, whether expired or not will result in a three month suspension.
    You will be banned permanently if you accumulate 20 points or more.
    In addition, receiving 15 cards or more, whether expired or not, will also result in your account being banned permanently."
    Therefore, yeah.
    gone.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you.Don't you dare look
    Posts
    683

    Default

    This site is pretty strict. And I do agree when you say "Read the Rules" and close threads like teenagers kids like me, all you do is get us confused and make us want to leave. I honestly do not think that's the point of the site. At that, why don't Mods just MOVE the threads like they can do instead of closing them all the time (including the threads that new people make)?
    Um, there are not that many rules here.
    Maybe not for you, but think about this sites' younger audience, who are not used to this much rules.
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."
    So please, learn how to use it correctly.

    Sincerely,
    Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by A Genius View Post
    Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dragon Roost Island
    Posts
    5,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AudinoHunter View Post
    Lets take Pokecommunity!
    "If you earn up to or have exceeded 9 infraction points, your account will be suspended for two weeks.
    Earning 15 points or more will result in your account being suspended for one month.
    Earning 18 points or more or at least 10 infractions, whether expired or not will result in a three month suspension.
    You will be banned permanently if you accumulate 20 points or more.
    In addition, receiving 15 cards or more, whether expired or not, will also result in your account being banned permanently."
    Therefore, yeah.
    Exactly, this is a perfect example of how strict other sites are. Sppf is much better in that regard.

    Quote Originally Posted by WillsPokemon View Post
    Maybe not for you, but think about this sites' younger audience, who are not used to this much rules.
    People have yet to point out what "all of these rules" are. Just look at the rules:

    -No illegal content talk: Common sense, not unique to Sppf.
    -Limit swearing: Obvious, not unique to Sppf.
    -Don't spam: Common sense, not unique to Sppf.
    -Don't bump topics: Pretty much every forum has this rule.
    -Don't double/triple post: Obvious, almost every forum has it.
    -Stay on topic: Obvious.
    -No porn: Obvious.
    -No flaming: Common sense, not unique to Sppf.
    -Don't minimod: Pretty much every forum has this.
    -No alts: Obv.
    -Don't ban evade: Common sense.
    -Don't advertise: Obv.
    -No gifs: Really the only rule that we don't need.
    -Don't seek attention: Obv.

    See? The rules are easy to understand, even if you are young. It's not a strict site at all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •