Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Most Improved Pokemon of this Generation

Quote Originally Posted by TerraWolf View Post
    Most improved Poke of this Generation? I'd have to say Xatu. You'd go around seeing a Xatu in DPP maybe once or twice every 100 or so battles. Now Xatu has become a common place on teams, some even use it over Espeon due to extra coverage. Magic Bounce has been a great addition to this more of a glass cannon Pokemon.

Another major improvement this generation would probably have to go to an item, the Eviolite. The eviolite allows NFEs with very high stats already have their defenses even better. Eviolite also changed how the Little Cup tier is played greatly.

My final Most Improved Pokemon would probably be Gliscor. The addition of Poison Heal on him makes him a great Pokemon in Rain, Sun or even Clear Skies. With the advent of BW2 and the move tutors, Gliscor just got a great flying STAB in Sky Attack and a reliable healing move in Roost. Gliscor might be looking to be a top 10 OU Pokemon, stretching to maybe even top 5 very soon
    Sky attack is a good STAB? if you want to use power herb so badly use acrobatics with flying gem it is SO much better.

Most improved in BW2 should be amoongus from a NU pokemon who you could never see to one of the most common OU pokemons
    same for ditto from something no one would even try to use outside of DW OU to a top OU threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I like to think that it's Ditto.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

The pokemon that improved statistically most are Politoed and Ninetales, however they still can't do much for a team other than their abilities, and would probably both be NU without Drought/Drizzle. I would argue that they haven't really improved much as pokemon generally, they're just very useful for the fact that they have no competition. If more pokemon got Drizzle/Drought, then they wouldn't have been improved as much.

Dugtrio also got a pretty good boost this generation, due to the large amounts of weather wars. This means that it has a very good position as a pokemon for a sun team, or a team that just generally needs to counter the other weather abusers, such as a hail team.

The pokemon that can actually add the most to team on itself, which it couldn't do before, and therefore improved most on its own, is probably Espeon, seeing as it can now abuse its Magic Bounce to help keep the whole team steady against hazards. It can also abuse a pretty good CM set now, as people try and play around it expecting a more defensive set, such as Dual Screens. I personally think that Espeon improved most this generation.

I would also argue that pokemon such as Mew, who have finally been let out of Ubers, have now had a lot of potential in tiers they can keep up with better. Deoxys-D is also being able to be used as a great Screener and Hazard supporter.

I think there are two pokemon in particular which have improved greatly in BW2: Haxorus and Liepard. Both had poor movepools and while the former was more or less a one-trick pony in the form of Outrage, Earthquake, and then Dragon Dance/Swords Dance. The latter was a support pokemon with things like Thunder Wave and Encore.

Haxorus gained Superpower and Aqua Tail for extra coverage. Superpower hits harder than Brick Break could, but might not be as good if the opponent is using Dual Screens. Aqua Tail lets it hit Ground pokemon for super effective damage. To my knowledge, Haxorus is OU at the moment, and I believe it will stay where it is.

Liepard got a much bigger improvement though, since it got Gunk Shot, Seed Bomb, U-Turn, Hyper Voice and Trick. Gunk Shot is the poison version of Focus Blast and is good with Hone Claws to make it a bit more accurate and stronger. Seed Bomb gives it some coverage over bulky waters like Swampert, Milotic and Vaporeon. U-Turn could work as a scout pokemon. Hyper Voice could be used with Nasty Plot as a filler move with base 90 power. Trick can be used effectively in the lower tiers with it's base 106 speed, or you can use it's Prankster DW ability to make sure it uses Trick against faster pokemon before being killed. With these new things that Liepard has now, I really do think that maybe Liepard could see some play in RU, maybe UU if it's lucky.
    Pokemon X Team:

3DS Friend Code: 1478-3034-6420
    My Friend Safari is Ice-type, and includes Bergmite, Spheal and Cloyster.

Gastrodon for sure. While it didn't get any new tools besides a buffed Storm Drain, the metagame has changed in Gastrodon's favor. With al the rain teams running around, everyone is looking for a Water immunity to take all those Surfs/Hydro Pumps/Waterfalls, and what makes Gastrodon so special is it gets +1 in its Special Attack every time it gets hit by a Water attack, which Vaporeon can't do. It even can hold its own in Sand due to its killer secondary Ground typing and resistance to Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstRate View Post
    Gastrodon for sure. While it didn't get any new tools besides a buffed Storm Drain, the metagame has changed in Gastrodon's favor. With al the rain teams running around, everyone is looking for a Water immunity to take all those Surfs/Hydro Pumps/Waterfalls, and what makes Gastrodon so special is it gets +1 in its Special Attack every time it gets hit by a Water attack, which Vaporeon can't do. It even can hold its own in Sand due to its killer secondary Ground typing and resistance to Rock.
    Its probably one of the best rain/sand counters in the game, at least in OUr. Also Gastrodon is versatile enough that it works with sun and hail and even non weather teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Sky attack is a good STAB? if you want to use power herb so badly use acrobatics with flying gem it is SO much better.

Most improved in BW2 should be amoongus from a NU pokemon who you could never see to one of the most common OU pokemons
    same for ditto from something no one would even try to use outside of DW OU to a top OU threat.
    I was just using an example seeing that Sky Attack's power is much higher than Acrobatics

Venusaur and Blastoise also got a nifty improvement this gen.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Kyruem, in BW it was banned to UU BW2 w/new forms it's probably going to be the #1 threat in all of Ubers thanks to that 170 attacking stat.

Name: Houdini
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by playplayj View Post
    Kyruem, in BW it was banned to UU BW2 w/new forms it's probably going to be the #1 threat in all of Ubers thanks to that 170 attacking stat.
    Huge stats don't make good pokemon.

Deoxys-D and Rampardos and Slaking
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    Venusaur and Blastoise also got a nifty improvement this gen.
    Sadly, Charizard still sits in the slums of NU due to its double Rock weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post

You forgot about Shuckle and Regigigas. Speaking of the two, I find Regigigas got a nice boost with Drain Punch's increase in power and PP while Shuckle got the gimmicky Power Spit allowing it to cripple the foe on the spot while gaining a well needed attack boost. Most improved? Their NU status proves they're far from it but they're still loads of fun to use (even in higher tiers).
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post

*cough* blissey/chansey *cough*

they have mediocre typing, standard normal-type movepool, yet are the most hated things in history. well, special wall wise

Agree on everything except Deoxys-D.

And the new forms are considered different Pokemon on Smogon and Pokemon Online, so KyuW and KyuB have no impact on Regular Kyu, but I do agree that Kyu is a rising threat. With its new toys Earth Power and Roost, it gives it better coverage as well as an option to abuse its amazing bulk.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post
    *cough* blissey/chansey *cough*

they have mediocre typing, standard normal-type movepool, yet are the most hated things in history. well, special wall wise
    Normal isn't a bad typing, it just doesn't stand out and although their move-sets are typical, they work well for their build. As for Happiny in little Cup...

Cinccino anyone, god that chinchilla is so annoying, at least Misdreavus is a check to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Cinccino anyone, god that chinchilla is so annoying, at least Misdreavus is a check to it.
    ...okay...

This set was great fun.... at least in BW1(when weather had not yet taken the share of the metagame it has today) and a vast improvement over what it did in every other generation.

Piloswine@eviolite
    trait thick fat
    Careful nature (+spdef-spatk)
    252 hp/252/spdef/4 atk
    curse
    ice shard
    earthquake
    rest

Talk about a holdover! very similar to curse lax in earlier generations, the piloswine of bw1 was abused by only a tiny amount of users, despite it's intestense anti weaither and anit offense cabaibliltes. Trying to remove it late game would cost your tanks a lot of damage, and it stood up to staples like hydrein ,landorus-i, terrakion, and the forgotten mienshao with alarming tenacity, trying this pokemon a generation, or even 3 generations before would have been an utter waste of time. But the early days of bw1(and presumably clear skies)gave it its one and only chance to shine. Do yourself a favor and use it the next time you play a clear skies match, you'll enjoy it.
    Beyond Names: everything has a counter.
    Beyond Names: its called hax.
    Tuan Sixtus: Color is a stupid gimmick that only amateur film makers use.
    Villain of Time: Even though he is a bot, he is better than the rest of you, because he believes that he is alive.
    Villain of Time: Please note that in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Collector's Edition I actually do have red blood.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456