Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Improved Pokemon of this Generation

venasaur politoed ninetales and dragonite

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow, Drac Buttons to EG

Whatever. If everyone feels Dragonite should make the list, then I give up. I'll add him on.

Looking for an LC Tutor! Requirements:
    - 6 month minimum experience
    - Appropriate ladder points (1250pts+)
    - PO for communication
    - Must have acceptable schedule

If you have any questions, PM/VM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puretrainer View Post
    I think one of the best improved Pokemon is Slowbro. With his new ability Regenerator he effectively became one of the premiere bulky waters of this generation. With access to Slack Off as well Slowbro has become a physical tank of incredible proportions easily being able to stop mons that he couldn't stop last generation due to not being able to find a place to heal etc. Other pokemon have gotten new tools and abilities that have made them amazing too but Slowbro has always been a favorite of mine so it was really great seeing him get an ability that made him even better than he used to already be.
    Seconded.

Slowbro is a great bulky water and with its half Psychic, and phys bulk it makes a great answer for the likes of the rampant fighting types this gen. like Conkeldurr, and Terrakion (bar Banded X-scissor). And (expect for on Conk) Slowbro loves passing a burn onto phys attackers making them even worse off against his tremendous bulk. Regenerator is a great ability added to it this generation. Regenerator is just a great ability and works itself well into a defensive core, where switching to someone who can take a special attack aimed at Slowbro can benefit him, and not just help to rack up hazard damage.

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by MatchMaster View Post
    Study users, like Donphan, Skarmory, and Forretress; just one extra move can change the game, especially with all those special attackers out there who plow through the aforementioned Pokemon who have low special defense. I also have to agreed on Politoad especially; Drizzle gives it something worthwhile to use. I don't think Dugtrio has been mentioned yet either; it used to be in UU, now it's capable of functioning in ubers, thanks to Hone Claws and its ability, arena trap.
    Sturdy didn't do much. The Pokemon you have named have kind of improved, but not much. Those guys with Sturdy hardly use it because the only Pokemon who OHKO them are the ones the try to get away from in the first place.
    Also, when has Dugtrio been used in Ubers. If he is functionable, remind me never to go there because Dug is roadkill in OU anyway.

- PO for communication

Dugtrios main boost is due probably to the huge amount of weather wars. When your team needs a reliable way to beat the sun and sandstorm, what better way then to trap and KO them w/ SE moves. Outside of this dugtrio has few benefits due to rampant priority and its frailness.

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by ROBO PIKA View Post
    Sturdy didn't do much. The Pokemon you have named have kind of improved, but not much. Those guys with Sturdy hardly use it because the only Pokemon who OHKO them are the ones the try to get away from in the first place.
    Also, when has Dugtrio been used in Ubers. If he is functionable, remind me never to go there because Dug is roadkill in OU anyway.
    .........what?

No, seriously, what? Sturdy is what makes Skarmory and Donphan so formidable this gen! Both are now given a guarenteed chance, if at full hp, to either lay a hazard down or get rid of hazards on their side of the field!

And dugtrio is possibly the best at trapping weather users in OU. Tell me how that is not roadkill.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Slowbro
    Gastrodon
    Venusaur

^^should be added to the list imo

Thank you for adding Dragonite! While it may not have jumped up a whole tier, it has jumped within it's own tier to greatest DRagon threat in OU, championing even Salamence. That deserves Recognition.

I think Toxicroak also deserves some mention due to it becoming a beast on the now ever present Rain team.
    PM or VM me for more trade info

I can agree with Venasaur. It has a tremendous jump and it can be a very big threat in the sun. Chansey also derserves some recognition. It went from never being acceptable over its evolution to an alright substitute in situations where leftovers recovery isn't required.

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    .........what?

No, seriously, what? Sturdy is what makes Skarmory and Donphan so formidable this gen! Both are now given a guarenteed chance, if at full hp, to either lay a hazard down or get rid of hazards on their side of the field!

And dugtrio is possibly the best at trapping weather users in OU. Tell me how that is not roadkill.
    The only time Skarm and Donphan really stick around is near physical attackers who can hardly touch them. Only an idiot would keep there Skarm or Phan (As some say) around a a special attacker. Sturdy kinda helps survive and scout a mix set but not many people do that which is why I said that it kinda helps.

But you guys are right about weather, I was being a moron there.

- PO for communication

The only time Skarm and Donphan really stick around is near physical attackers who can hardly touch them. Only an idiot would keep there Skarm or Phan (As some say) around a a special attacker. Sturdy kinda helps survive and scout a mix set but not many people do that which is why I said that it kinda helps.

But you guys are right about weather, I was being a moron there.
    You're proabably right about donphan (never used him before), but there is a specially defensive skarmory for a reason. The fact that sturdy can sometimes make the difference between a win or a loss is what makes it so useful now. As if skarmory wasn't a good enough physical wall before.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Some other greatly improved mons are:

Alakazam
    Tentacruel
    Gastrodon
    Venusaur

each received a very important ability, which gave each of them a niche in the current metagame

Click my Sig to go to our xat!!!

credit to EG and extroph

You're proabably right about donphan (never used him before), but there is a specially defensive skarmory for a reason. The fact that sturdy can sometimes make the difference between a win or a loss is what makes it so useful now. As if skarmory wasn't a good enough physical wall before.
    Most people use physically defensive anyway. I've only fought specially defensive maybe twice.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Most people use physically defensive anyway. I've only fought specially defensive maybe twice.
    I heard that a lot of people used specially defensive skarm in Gen 4. I would have thought that would have transitioned into gen 5, but I guess I was wrong. Well, I don't think any good players would keep skarm in on a rotom-w or something.

Gotta go with Dragonite. Simply cause of Multiscale.

All credit goes to Trickster44!
    Thanks for the awesome UserBars Trickster44!

Dragonite is incredibly bulky with Multi-scale, making it difficult to kill. Great defensive typing and stats prolong its life, and with solid Atk and SpA, deals good loads of damage. Mediocre Spe is its weakness but compensates with Extremespeed. Has a truckload of other useful offensive moves, such as Superpower (illegal with Multiscale), Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Fire Punch, or Fire Blast, Dragon Dance Draco Meteor, Outrage, Surf, Stone Edge, and Hurricane. With great HP and defensive stats, access to useful support moves such as Roost, Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, and Heal Bell, and a typing with resistances to common special attacks, Dragonite makes an excellent and annoying defensive threat. Multiscale makes it all the more bulkier when at 100% HP.

Gliscor Poison Heal has given it a new lease on life, though it didnt really need it. Still very physically bulky, but now harder to kill with constant HP regeneration. Decent offensive stats, but great defensive typing gives it a bulky attacker niche. Available to it are Stone Edge and Fling + Acrobat. Makes an excellent defensive threat due to its high Defense stat, access to support moves such as Fling, Substitute, Roost (illegal with Poison Heal), and Stealth Rock (illegal with Poison Heal).

Jolteon usually overlooked but is Lightning-fast and hits pretty hard with its special attacks. Doesn't have much of a useful movepool. Hidden Power Grass/Ice is an alternative to hit Ground-types while Thunder is usable under rainy conditions.

Gastrodon was outclassed by Swampert last generation. but it has received a gift from the heavens, Storm Drain not only absorbs Water attacks, but also raises Gastrodon's SpA by one stage, making it an acceptable offensive threat as well. With Toxic, Recover, and a useable offensive movepool, Gastrodon is arguably the best rain counter in existence. It counters Thundurus that lack Grass Knot, Rotom-W, Starmie, Tornadus... the list goes on and on.

Chansey despite Blissey having better stats and the same support movepool, with the new item Eviolite, has higher Defense and Special Defense than Blissey.

Venusaur combined with Ninetales's Drought its scary violent... Under the sun, Growth's boosts doubles to +2 for each attacking stat and Venusaur's Speed is doubled via Chlorophyll. Has some solid counters depending on the Hidden Power. Solid stats too.

The list goes on and on really, but i'm lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    Gliscor Poison Heal has given it a new lease on life, though it didnt really need it. Still very physically bulky, but now harder to kill with constant HP regeneration. Decent offensive stats, but great defensive typing gives it a bulky attacker niche. Available to it are Stone Edge and Fling + Acrobat. Makes an excellent defensive threat due to its high Defense stat, access to support moves such as Fling, Substitute, Roost (illegal with Poison Heal), and Stealth Rock (illegal with Poison Heal).

Jolteon usually overlooked but is Lightning-fast and hits pretty hard with its special attacks. Doesn't have much of a useful movepool. Hidden Power Grass/Ice is an alternative to hit Ground-types while Thunder is usable under rainy conditions.

Gastrodon was outclassed by Swampert last generation. but it has received a gift from the heavens, Storm Drain not only absorbs Water attacks, but also raises Gastrodon's SpA by one stage, making it an acceptable offensive threat as well. With Toxic, Recover, and a useable offensive movepool, Gastrodon is arguably the best rain counter in existence. It counters Thundurus that lack Grass Knot, Rotom-W, Starmie, Tornadus... the list goes on and on.

Chansey despite Blissey having better stats and the same support movepool, with the new item Eviolite, has higher Defense and Special Defense than Blissey.

Venusaur combined with Ninetales's Drought its scary violent... Under the sun, Growth's boosts doubles to +2 for each attacking stat and Venusaur's Speed is doubled via Chlorophyll. Has some solid counters depending on the Hidden Power. Solid stats too.

The list goes on and on really, but i'm lazy.
    Here is the problem:
    We've discussed Gliscor so look around for him on the thread.
    What is your point with Jolteon? What new did he get?
    Chansey is alright, but then more Pokemon would have made the list because of the eviolite ans so I just left that out completely.
    Venusaur is kind of Border Line ultimate improvement (Ha! Thats the tier he's in).

- PO for communication

Porygon 2 is a big one imo. It had nothing going for it until Eviolite came along, and turned it into a bulky troll-thing.
    Speaking of which, Eviolite was a god-send to a lot of pokemon. Chansey also benefited from it, making it UU material now.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Still no Cloyster?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Here is the problem:
    Chansey is alright, but then more Pokemon would have made the list because of the eviolite ans so I just left that out completely.
    Venusaur is kind of Border Line ultimate improvement (Ha! Thats the tier he's in).
    lrn2playonsmugun

Jolteon got Volt Switch.

Still no Quagsire mentions? It went from very rarely seen Kyogre counter to the bane of HO teams everywhere. It also got Scald to burn all the things!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    lrn2playonsmugun

Jolteon got Volt Switch.

Still no Quagsire mentions? It went from very rarely seen Kyogre counter to the bane of HO teams everywhere. It also got Scald to burn all the things!!!!!!!
    *insert all the things pic here*

Here is the problem:
    I have to admit gliscor shouldn't be up there, but maybe a slight mention for the less improved pokemon. Poison heal allows him to function outside of sand much more efficently.

Since chansey is now better than blissey, it should be up there. Just because a pokemon didn't jump up a million tiers doesn't mean it does not deserve a mention. He was one of three most improved pre evo's this generation, the other two being (imo) dusclops and porygon2.

Seriously, dusclops should be up there. I used an underrated CM set on him, and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    Jolteon got Volt Switch.
    Yeah, so did 29 other Pokemon. Does that mean he should make the list?

- PO for communication

Here is the problem:
    lol **** dont you sound a bit conescending
    Jolten didnt really get anything new, but with so many Ground and Dragon types running a round its always been something of a stable, like i said earlier, its seemly 'overlooked'
    Chansey should be put on the list, went from UU to OU with just the revision of the tiers
    Venusaur is great, and will wreak **** up lol

Porygon2 should be mentioned, with great defenses on both sides supported by the new Eviolite item, Porygon2 makes an incredibly sturdy Pokemon. Has a wide movepool, access to Recover, and a useful ability capable of bouncing back abilities such as Intimidate, Flash Fire, Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, and Water Absorb to name a few. Can also use Toxic and Magic Coat fairly well.

Nidoking despite overall low stats, it's a powerful offensive threat. Its mostly seen using its ability on the special side. Wide movepool gives it coverage. can also go physical but thats more of a surprise to use

Dusclops under used but incredibly sturdy. Only two weaknesses but costs of few resistances. Terrible offensive stats your doomed to use Seismic Toss or Night Shade. Can also use a Calm Mind + Ice Beam set to decent success. Torment is also a good option. It can run a crippling Curse set to threaten last-mon scenarios,...If you get a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Still no Cloyster?
    Right, Shell Smash. I haven't seen a Cloyster like that in months.
    While it did improve Cloyster dramatically, I guess it just isn't as popular anymore, especially with CS Terrakion so common. It can't set up with one of those around.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Alright, then. I'll give a mention to Pokemon who can use the Eviolite well.

- PO for communication

The awkward moment when +2 Cloyster outspeeds Scarf Terrakion.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast