Thread: Team Of Sea And Sky Sun And Moon

Default Team Of Sea And Sky Sun And Moon

Team Of Sea And Sky Sun And Moon
    Chapter One: Leaving To Start A New Life

Shirayuki

As usual, on the morning the day before I met Zen, I was making another one of my early morning jaunts into the woods to gather herbs.

Despite everything that happened, I honestly can’t say that I regret it. Because meeting Zen and becoming an Exploration Team was definitely the best thing that could have happened to me. No matter the crap everyone else put us through because I was supposedly common-born (which I wasn’t, considering I had blood of the Royal House of Jurai running through my veins), no matter the crap that happened because I joined Zen’s team, I didn’t regret one single minute.

After all, he stood beside me when I literally stood against time and space, and the reason time was corrupted. Zen never once tried to leave, although I wouldn’t have blamed him if he had, and never complained about all the crap he went through because of me. All the crap everyone gave him because of my hair color and the fact that I was supposedly common born.

And I loved him even more for it.

The path that let me to meeting Zen began when someone told Raj, the First Prince of Tanbarun, about me. Not that I had any idea, of course. I was just doing what I always did. As usual, I was making a trip into the woods to collect herbs. The more herbs I had, the better medicines I could make.

After my morning jaunt into the forest to collect herbs, I opened up my shop, which had been owned by my grandparents before me, and after helping a few of my usual customers, I heard someone at the door.

“Did you forget something?” I called, amused, thinking it was an elderly lady named Kino. I turned around to find that it wasn’t Kino, but in fact was one of Prince Raj’s Royal Guards. I looked at him curiously after the man explained things. “You said Prince Raj’s concubine?” I questioned, tilting my head slightly, smiling. This had to be a joke.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t.

“Yes.” The guard confirmed, mirroring the gesture. “In other words you would be his mistress.

“Absurd!” I snapped. “I can’t believe he’d be interested in a common girl like me just because of the color of my hair. I’d be an embarrassment to him!”

“Still, Prince Raj has taken a liking to you.” The guard informed me, advancing and forcing me to retreat until I ran into my desk. “Therefore you are formally required to appear at the castle tomorrow morning. I suggest you look presentable.” To punctuate his threat, he gripped the hilt of his sword briefly, fixing me with a warning glare. Translation: appear at the castle tomorrow morning or else.

I went about my day mechanically after that, putting on a smile for all of my customers, but anyone who knew me could tell that something was wrong. They asked what was wrong, of course, but I wouldn’t tell them. I didn’t want them to worry about me.

I closed the shop early that day, citing that I wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want someone to suffer because I couldn’t think clearly. It was true enough, but not for the reasons people thought. Of course, the fact that I assured them I had just overworked myself a little and that I’d be fine in the morning probably helped. Not that anyone knew that being fine in the morning was a big fat lie, because I wasn’t going to be some spoiled prince’s play toy.

It was almost a shame he didn’t know I was a Legendary— he might not be so interested in having me as his concubine then.

From what my grandparents had told me, a long, long time ago, someone had the absurd idea to use magic to try to gain the powers of a Pokémon. Well, it didn’t work, but it did alter them, giving them the blood of a Pokémon. A few more people tried the ritual, and a few more, and a few more, until a vast majority of the population had the blood of a Pokémon. Obviously, some married humans and plenty married others like them, but a few actually mated with Pokémon.

The end result was that humans because more Pokémon-like and Pokémon became more human-like, until eventually humans and Pokémon became the same species. Now, everyone looked mostly human, but with Pokémon characteristics, such as ears and tails, or in my case, wings. Most of my customers assumed I was a Grass Type because of my affinity for herbs. However, I wondered what they would say if I showed them the brilliant seven-colored wings that marked me as a Ho-oh, the Legendary Bird Pokémon of Sun, said to bring happiness to anyone who saw it.

From what my grandparents told me, they’d probably think I was an omen of bad luck or something, because supposedly, Legendary Pokémon only appeared outside of the various Royal Families when there were times of great danger ahead. Maybe there was some truth in the old tale, because being a Legendary meant trouble no matter what family a person was from, but that didn’t mean that people actually had to hate Legendaries that aren’t royal.

I sat around for a while, wondering what in the world to do now that Prince Raj had taken an interest in me (the guard said he’d taken a liking to me, but he didn’t know me so he’d taken an interest in me, not a liking to me). But after a while, I realized that I had to do something, one way or the other. I couldn’t just sit and let life pass me by, and I could either accept the situation I now found myself in, or I could actually try to do something about it. So I stood up, lit the candles, and began grabbing herbs off the shelves, writing letters to everyone with their medicines explaining why I wouldn’t be around to help them anymore, and apologizing for leaving. I worked pretty much all night, until I had everyone’s medicines made.

I smiled, taking off my apron and wiping my forehead. “That takes care of everyone.” I murmured. I glanced out the window at Twilight Town— so named because Lugia and Ho-oh were supposed to be sacred protectors of the town— and picked up the scissors on my worktable, holding them to my hair for a brief moment.

Please know this wasn’t your fault. I thought to the town as a whole, and then with a determined snip, took my destiny into my own hands.

I left the cut hair on the windowsill and donned my traveling cloak, mentally saying goodbye to Twilight Town and Tanbarun as a whole. It had been my home my entire life, and I didn’t really want to leave. Unfortunately, unless I wanted to become a concubine— which I absolutely didn’t— I didn’t have any choice.

I convinced a cart driver to take me out of the country, traveling through the night and into the next morning. Once we crossed the border from Tanbarun into Clarines, I got off, thanked the driver, and made my way into the forest. It was cold and dark, and I debated calling a flame to my hands to help stay warm and light my way.

I hesitated; hadn’t my grandparents always told me to pretend I was a Grass Type? If I called up a fire, someone would know. “Conceal it, don’t feel it. Don’t let it show.” That was what they had always told me. But it was cold, and no one was around to see, so I decided that, unfortunately, just this once, I would break my grandparents' cardinal rule and use my powers. I wished I could spread my largely unused wings and take flight above the trees, but that would attract way too much attention. There was no way I could justify taking such a huge risk, even if really I wanted to.

So I sighed and called a ball of flames to my hands; that was my compromise. I walked through the forest until I found a house in the woods, one which didn’t seem to have any sort of light source, meaning it was probably empty. But to be on the same side, I knocked on the door a few times. “Excuse me?” I called out. “Excuse me! Is anyone home? May I come inside?” No one answered. I sighed. “I can’t just go in without being invited.” I grumbled knowing that if someone did live there they probably wouldn’t be happy with me barging into their house. So, even though it was dark and I was starting to get hungry, I reluctantly slept there.

I ate the few nuts I had and made a makeshift pillow out of my bag, and lied down to sleep there. I’d just have to figure out someplace better in the morning. The sun was already high in the sky when I woke up the next morning, and I was somewhat startled to hear a shout from a young man. “Mitsuhide, Kiki,” He called. “I’m going on ahead!”

“Hey, careful braggart, you’ll hurt yourself!” Another man’s voice warned. The young man seemed to ignore him, and a second later, I saw a white haired blue eyed man leaping over the stone wall. He had a big grin on his face and didn’t seem to even consider falling. He blinked as he caught sight of me, and his foot caught the wall, making him land less than gracefully. “I told you so, Zen!” A teal haired man groaned worriedly. “Are you hurt, did you fall on your head?! Tell me, what’s one plus one?!”

“Purple.” The white haired young man I assumed was “Zen” deadpanned, making my lips twitch in amusement. “Wait, who are you again?”

“Oh, I forgot.” Said the blond woman. “Was that your name?”

“Kiki!” ‘Mitsuhide’ shouted. “Not helping even a little bit!” The man called Zen began to laugh and I took this opportunity to try to crawl away before anyone saw me, until Zen called out to me, his voice sharp and commanding.

“Hold.” He said. “Mind telling me who you are?” His voice sounded amiable and friendly enough, but I knew that he wasn’t asking. “And what you’re doing in the woods all alone?” I tried to spin a story about wandering away from my house and getting lost in the woods, trying to excuse myself and get the hell away from there before he noticed my red hair, but unfortunately, he stopped me by hooking his sword on my hood and tugging upward to reveal the hair that had caused me so much trouble recently. “You have very unusual hair.” He noted.

I put on a fake smile. “Yeah, I know.” I tried to smile more. “I hear that frequently.” I happened to glance at his arm. “Oh, your arm.” I said, opening my bag up, looking for some of the medicine I’d been able to bring when I left Tanbarun earlier.

“I’ve had worse.” Zen shrugged, and I wasn’t sure what was more disturbing; the idea that he was lying, or that he was actually telling the truth.

“You’re in luck.” I informed him. “I’m an herbalist. I have a healing poultice you can use on it, that’ll help.” I started to fish it out of my bag, only to be interrupted.

“No thanks.” Zen drawled, leveling his sword at me. “It could be poison or something. I’m not going to fall for that little trick. I wasn’t born yesterday, you know. Trust is something earned, not given. In other words, we’re done here.” He put on an amiable smile. “So off you go then.”

I had to concede that he did have a point, and knew I’d have to convince him somehow. So I grabbed the hilt of his sword and slammed it down onto my own arm. As the people I thought were called Mitsuhide and Kiki stared on in astonishment and Zen started to question what I was doing, I grabbed the healing ointment out of my bag and smeared it onto a bandage, which I then placed on my arm and held it up to show him that nothing was happening to me. “Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t usually carry poison.”

Zen actually dropped his sword and Mitsuhide burst out laughing. “She sure got you there, Zen.” The other man wheezed through his laughter.

That was how I first met Zen Wisteria, leader of Team Healing Sword and the love of my life.

That was how I took the first steps towards discovering my true heritage.

That was how I became the strong future queen I was always meant to be.
    Wind in the sky. Stars in the heavens. An indomitable spirit in my heart. Grant your magic unto my hands!

Team Of Sea And Sky Sun And Moon
    Chapter Two: To Choose Your Own Path

Shirayuki

Zen crouched down to my level, laughing. At what, I wasn’t sure, but I didn’t think it was me based on the fact that he had a real smile on his face; I’d gotten good enough at faking my own smiles to tell when someone else was faking theirs. “I’m sorry about that.” The white haired man apologized. “My name is Zen.” I gave him my own name. “It’s lovely to meet you, Shirayuki.” Zen held up his arm. “However, I think you’re at least partially responsible for my less than graceful landing.” I wasn’t quite sure what to make of that as Zen led my inside and had me treat his injury. “No one lives here, but we spend time here.” He explained as I bandaged his arm after treating it. “So, the one getting beaten at chess over there is Mitsuhide. The one doing the beating is Kiki.”

“Zen!” Mitsuhide protested, annoyed. “How do you know I’m losing if you’re not even paying attention to the game?!”

Zen didn’t even look at him, an oddly smug expression on his face. “I can just tell.” He shrugged.

“I’m shellacking you.” Kiki said blandly.

I finished wrapping up Zen’s injury and informed him that he was all fixed up. He held his arm up. “Wow, you’ve got impressive skills, Shirayuki.” He praised. I told him I’d been at this awhile, and reminded him that I did say I was an herbalist as I began to bandage my own, self-inflicted injury. “Yes, you did.” Zen agreed. “So tell me, why would a talented herbalist run away from home?” I wasn’t sure how he knew that, but since he did, I needed to get away from here. I dodged the question and said the reason wasn’t important, and then excused myself, saying that I need air. But Zen insisted upon coming with me. So much for that idea. I walked through the forest for a while, Zen following me. Finally, I turned around to face him and questioned why he came with me. His response was “I couldn’t let you go into these woods all by your lonesome. That would be quite ungentlemanly.” He wouldn’t look at me, his eyes fixed on something else. Practically anywhere but me.

I smiled. “That’s nice of you, but you didn’t need to. I became quite comfortable in the woods and mountains studying to be an herbalist. In fact, I could probably pass for a Grass Type.”

Pass for a Grass Type?” Zen repeated. “So then what are you, a Fire Type?” It seemed to be a random guess, but it was spot on, so I nodded an affirmative, adding that I was also a Flying Type, prompting him to question “So then why haven’t I seen your wings?”

I sighed. “It’s complicated but essentially, my grandparents didn’t want anyone to know that I’m a Legendary even though I’m not part of a royal family. They told me to hide my wings, and I went along with it. Conceal it, don’t feel it; don’t let it show. It’s the mantra they taught me. I’ve had to live by it my whole life. I usually let people assume I’m a Grass Type and don’t give any specifics. Most people will automatically think of something to fill in the blanks, so I let them. As long as they don't think I'm a Ho-oh.”

“Your own grandparents really told you to pretend to be something you’re not?” At my nod, Zen scowled. “That’s ridiculous. You shouldn’t have to hide who you are.”

“Well, I don’t know if you know, but there’s a stigma attached to those who are Legendary who don’t belong to a Royal Family.” I began. “It’s said that whenever a Legendary born outside of a Royal Family appears, times of danger are sure to follow. And amazingly, there’s actually some truth to that. Before every major war, a Legendary has been born.”

Zen scowled. “That still doesn’t mean that you should have to hide who you are.” He muttered.

I leaned back up against a tree. “I’m glad you think so. But it’s probably better if I do. Besides, I don’t really mind.” I tried to pull away after a moment, but something pulled and it hurt. “Ow! That really hurt.” I muttered.

Concerned, Zen walked over to take a look. “Looks like your hair’s caught.” He deduced. “You have a strand that’s longer than the others.”

“I must have missed that piece earlier.” I realized, hopefully too low for Zen to hear. “Uh, hey, Zen, could you cut it off for me? It doesn’t have to be straight.”

“Possibly.” My white haired friend replied with a smug look that made me want to smack him. “But I’ll only do it if you answer a question for me. Did cutting your hair have something to do with why you ran away from home? If you tell me the reason, maybe then I can help you.”

“You’re a terrible person.” I deadpanned.

Zen smiled and spread his hands, and after he cut my hair for me, I reluctantly told him the story of why I ran away from home— in fairly vague terms, of course. If Zen knew what I was doing, he thankfully didn’t call me on it. He was silent, and then a few moments after I’d finished my story he exploded. “What?! You were ordered to be a concubine?!”

“Yes, by a very famous boy. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but he learned to speak in the red light district. He thought my hair was unique, so he wanted to keep it for himself like a prize.” I explained. “If I had obeyed his orders, it would have been just like he was buying an apple at the fruit seller. So that’s why,” I smiled at my new friend over my shoulder. “I thought I’d give him at least part of what he wanted, and I left my hair behind.”

He looked incredulous for a moment, and then burst out laughing, telling me it was ingenious thinking. I was glad he approved. “Good job escaping from that dunce.” He added, smiling widely. “It’s your lucky red, after all.”

“What do you mean?” I questioned.

“Well,” Zen turned to face me, sword on his shoulder. “Color has meaning, and red is supposed to represent fate. You may not like it much now, but your red might lead to something good when you least expect it.”

“Wow, you have an amazing outlook, Zen.” I said softly.

“Oh, some respect.” He smiled broadly. It seemed that Zen was a generally cheerful person. We walked back to the house in the woods, where Zen noticed a basket on the step. I stiffened when I noticed the ribbon tied around the handle. “Oh, what’s this?” Zen questioned, picking it up. For a moment, all I could do was stare before I finally managed to force myself to say that the ribbon around the basket handle was the ribbon I’d had tied to my hair. Zen led me inside and I sat down on the long chair as Zen inspected the note with the apples. “So you’re from Tanbarun I see.” I gave the barest of nods, wrapping the ribbon around my hand. “Meaning that the person who dropped off this basket traveled all the way to the boarder just to find you. He’s a determined fellow, I’ll give him that much.” I started to laugh, but Zen wasn’t happy. “This isn’t a joke!” He shouted. “How bad is it that you were forced to flee the kingdom?!”

I sighed. “I had to leave because of who he is.” I admitted, eyes on the ribbon. “Someone powerful. The First Prince of Tanbarun.”

Zen slammed his hands down on the table and pushed himself up. “Raj?! That— royal— moron!” He grunted, apparently having put too much pressure on his injured arm in his anger.

“Are you alright?” I questioned worriedly. “Yes, that’s him. He’s so stupid that even the neighboring countries know it.”

“I don’t blame you for running.” Zen scowled. “He doubtlessly had people all over tearing apart the border crossing records.” I asked if Zen really thought that Raj would go that far, and his rather grim response was “If there’s something he wants that bad, he probably assumes it already belongs to him.” I sighed, picking one of the apples out of the basket.

“Even if it means caging it. He’s awful.” I said sadly, looking at the apple. “It’s starting to go bad. Its red is no good to anyone.” Looking up, I realized how that must have sounded and tried to pretend I’d been kidding. Unfortunately, he didn’t believe it. Zen stood up and walked over, and then gently grasped my hand and lifted the apple up to take a bite out of it, and my heart absolutely did not beat faster as he did.

“How uncouth of you.” Mitsuhide said from the stairs, causing both of us to jump. “It’s her apple, Zen, why don’t you go get your own?”

“What’re you—” Zen choked but started to turn blue in the face.

“You should either talk, or eat, don’t to do both.” The teal haired man scolded dryly.

“Nobody asked you! Stay out of it!” His charge shot back.

“Well, now you’re just being rude.” The older man sighed. I called Zen’s name tried to tell him that I was just being foolish and tried apologizing. His eyes narrowed, and then he told me to put the apple down, asking Kiki and Mitsuhide not to get mad as he collapsed.

“Zen!” Kiki and Mitsuhide cried as they leapt over the railing and managed to catch their charge just before he hit the ground. Cursing, I rubbed the apple along my bandages and discovered it was poisoned, and reported this to my new friends.

“Can you help him?!” Kiki asked desperately. I immediately started digging around in my bag, but it was no use— I couldn’t prepare an antidote with what I had because I’d rarely encountered anyone who was poisoned. I knew that if I didn’t do something, Zen could die, but I had no idea what I could do to help him.

“My, my,” A familiar voice commented. “It looks as though someone else tasted the apple instead of Miss Shirayuki.” I looked to see the palace guard who had first informed me that I was to be Prince Raj’s concubine. Mitsuhide demanded to know who he was, but was ignored. “Hm, this changes things.”

“How could you do this?!” I demanded, only to be told to calm myself. I was told that a certain someone possessed the antidote, and he said he trusted that I would come quietly now? I had never been more tempted to ignore the manners my grandparents had drilled into my head when I was younger and spit in this bastard’s face, but I nonetheless did as I was told. Zen needed the antidote, and Raj had it, so I had to make sure Raj gave it to Zen. I was loaded into a carriage and taken to a nearby manor that was likely owned by Raj’s father.

“Oh, so you made it!” The prince cried delightedly when he saw me, looking me over. “I have to say, it’s quite a surprise; I didn’t believe that red hair you left behind was real.” I interrupted and tried to remind him about the antidote, but the prince ignored me. “All in good time. Just so you know, Miss Shirayuki, the world is very judgmental. The fact that I graciously courted you and you ran away has made me a laughingstock all over Tanbarun and the Royal Palace. Thanks to you, public opinion of me has plummeted drastically.”

Graciously courted me my left foot.” I muttered under my breath, too low for him to hear.

“However, despite my shame, the unanimous opinion is that it’s nobody’s fault but your own.” The spoiled prince continued. “Understand? We have to wipe the filth from my good name. And in order to do that, you’ll have to become my concubine. I would never dream of causing a woman embarrassment, not even a lowly commoner such as yourself. You can thank me for my generosity now.” He acted like he honestly expected me to thank him for his so-called generosity.

“Are you serious?!” I demanded. “And would you please focus?! What’s important is the antidote! My friend is very sick, and he needs to have it right away!”

“Oh, that’s right, of course. If you agree to my proposal, I will have it delivered to here for him immediately. Or dearest,” He picked up an apple and held it out to me. “Would you prefer I give him another apple instead?”

As the prince opened his hand and let the apple drop and it began rolling, I couldn’t help but remember the words that Zen had said to me earlier: “Color has meaning, and red is supposed to represent fate. You may not like it much now, but your red may lead to something good when you least expect it.” As the apple rolled to a stop at my feet, I scoffed; the only thing I’d led Zen to was poison. Hardly something good.

“I have to say,” Raj whispered as he stood up and walked over to me, hand seeming to cup my face. “Now that I can see how truly beautiful you are, I think I should keep you very close to me.” I briefly clenched my fist before I relaxed it. Then I brought my hand up and slapped his own hand away, to his astonishment. “Why’d you—”

“Oh, my apologies.” I said without a hint of sincerity. “Fine, Prince Raj, take me if you wish. But you should know what you’re getting.” To emphasize my point, I flared my rainbow colored wings that I decided I wasn’t going to conceal anymore.

“Wait, stay back!” I heard from outside before a guard came flying through the door to reveal none other than Zen in all his furious glory.

I OBJECT!” He all but roared, his wings plain to see. Zen was a Lugia?! Wow, talk about irony. Raj’s personal guard charged at my new friend, but was easily defeated by Zen’s still sheathed sword, which seemed more like an extension of his body than anything else. “You will stop spewing such disgusting filth that sullies that poor girl’s ears, you boorish pig.” Zen spat, his sapphire eyes much harder than when he’d thought I could be giving him poison.

“Zen!” I cried, running over to him.

“Shirayuki, hey.” He greeted, the rage leaving his features. He held out his injured arm with a bandage that had, at some point, come untied. “Tie this for me?”

I blinked at the sudden change. “Wait, before that, what about your body, are you okay?!”

“I’ve spent the last few years building up an immunity to different poisons.” He answered, completely dodging the question. As I started to call him on it, the moronic prince spoke up.

“Aha, so you’re the one who took a bite of the poisoned apple. Well, that was rather unfortunate. I was planning on immobilizing Miss Shirayuki so I could take her back home with me.” Raj continued, and I briefly shuddered at what he would have done while I was immobilized. Nothing good, that was for sure.

“Why am I not surprised that you were behind a bad apple?” Zen retorted.

Raj’s eye twitched. “Best mind your manners around me, country boy.” He snapped. “Peasants like you should show more respect to royalty.

“Oh, pardon me, delicate, soft-hearted, First Monarch of Tanbarun.” Zen drawled, and I could feel the sarcasm oozing from his tone. “I mean, Prince Raj Shenazard.” It really was amazing how much he could make a title sound like an insult. “I’m not one for formal introductions, but,” Zen thrust his sword into Raj’s face.

Color drained from Raj’s face. “I recognize that crest.” He breathed.

“As well you should, imbecile.” Zen spat, looking well and truly furious at Raj. “Meet the Second Prince of Clarines Kingdom! I’m Zen Wisteria.”

At that, my jaw dropped— Zen, the slightly paranoid, too damn perceptive, goofball I’d meet in the woods was a prince?! Well, that explained why he was as paranoid as he was and why he was so damn perceptive. And why he’d been building up an immunity to poisons.

“Zen, please calm down, get ahold of yourself.” I pleaded. “Wait, do you know who I am? What’s one plus one?”

And again, his Zen’s mood suddenly shifted as he smiled at me. “It’s true, Shirayuki.” His features hardened again as he turned back to Raj, suddenly furious all over again. “But I never thought I’d actually be poisoned by anyone, much less a halfwit prince from a neighboring country. It could mean war.” His mood shifting so quickly was getting a little confusing. Seriously. What was with all of this turning on a copper he was doing?

“No!” Raj quickly backpedaled. “Besides you— you have no proof that I poisoned the apple!”

“Oh, I think we have plenty.” Kiki refuted.

“Yeah, we’ll see what’s what when we make an official inquiry, liar.” Mitsuhide added.

Raj stumbled backward, stammering incoherently, and Zen suggested a trade, calling the other prince, fittingly, by the title of Prince Moron. Zen said that if Raj didn’t want his deceptive actions to become a matter of public record he would swear he’d never come near me again, or even dare to speak my name out loud. Raj was confused for a moment, wanting to know how Zen knew me, but

Zen just stuck his still sheathed sword out and Raj backpedaled, swearing frantically that he would.

Zen turned to look at me, a smile on his face. “Shirayuki, surely you have a few things you’d like to say to him. If you want to air some grievances, you should do it now.”

I briefly thought about unleashing my rainbow colored wrath on the pathetic prince of the country I once called home, but then thought of an even better way to get my revenge for everything he’d put me through. So I picked up an apple and walked over to Raj, squatting down in front of him. “Here, Prince Raj.” I said, holding out the apple. “To get your strength back. Since you’re so shocked you can’t even move. Also,” I added, my green eyes hard. “Give Zen the antidote, now.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Raj whimpered.

He was hauled away in the same carriage that brought me here, screaming the whole time. I wasn’t sure what he was screaming about, or why, and I didn’t want to know. If I ever had to see the moron again it would be too soon. I knew I probably would eventually, but for now, I didn’t want to see him until I was good and ready to forgive him for what he’d done.

After that was when everything really set in: Zen was a prince, and I was a commoner. I hoped that he would still want to be my friend despite everything that had happened. Although I somehow doubted he would have come storming in here so furiously if he didn’t want to.

Still, I probably did need to thank him for rescuing me.

“Thank you.” I said, eyes on the ground. Zen wanted to know for what, and I told him it was because he saved me from danger. He didn’t have to come rescue me but he did anyway. Zen could have easily decided that there was nothing he could do and left Raj to do whatever he wanted. But he didn’t and instead came to rescue me. I told Zen that it seemed like I was only poisonous to him. He wanted to know if it was a joke because he was poisoned by an apple and my hair was as red as one, but obviously, it wasn’t. Why would I joke about something like that? That was not something to joke about. There were some things that should never be joked about this was one of them.

“Don’t worry.” Kiki told me. “It’s not something for which you need to apologize. Zen made the choice to eat the apple himself, but we all should have been a lot more careful about it. That’s all.” She folded her arms, looking sidelong at her teal haired companion. “Although Mitsuhide carried on like the end of the world was here and started to weep like a child.” I felt a smile tugging at my lips; even in the brief time I’d known the three of them, that was something I could definitely see the teal haired man doing. Mitsuhide told her to shut up; she wouldn’t, instead just telling him “So tragic.”

“Okay, okay,” Zen conceded. “Next time I get fruit, I’ll have Mitsuhide test it out first.” As Mitsuhide objected to that, Zen rose and walked over to me, and knelt down so that he was making eye contact with me, his brilliant sapphire holding my own emerald. “Shirayuki. Do you remember what I said to you in the forest? I meant every word. And I truly hope our fate brought us together for something good. We both happened to be in the same place for very different reasons, and we saved eachother. Maybe poison isn’t always bad. Maybe our meeting wasn’t a fluke, but instead, the beginning of a new chapter. I guess it’s up to you now.”

“Is that true?” I questioned; my grandparents had always told me that Arceus-sama laid out a path for everyone when they were born and to stray from that path, to try to make one’s own path, was only to invite despair. “I can choose my fate for myself?”

“Of course.” Zen grinned. “That’s exactly what I’m doing, and nobody’s going to stop me. You can follow one path, or you can go a different direction, neither of which is wrong.” I told him that I liked the way he thought, and he told me it wasn’t how he thought, it was how he lived. “So what’s your answer?”

Well, I thought. It’s literally my story. If I had my way, on the path in front of us after this encounter, you could hear the sound of pages turning in this story. And they would echo like my footsteps, moving towards “Destiny.” I breathed aloud, reaching up to take Zen’s hand. I laid my hand in his, and that was the start of everything.
    Last edited by RaisingHeartSetUp; 12th February 2017 at 8:43 AM.
    Wind in the sky. Stars in the heavens. An indomitable spirit in my heart. Grant your magic unto my hands!