Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Fanfiction Awards - NOMINATIONS

Default 2014 Fanfiction Awards - NOMINATIONS

Alright, it's nominating time again. There are a couple changes since last year.

----
    The rules:

-Anything posted from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014 is eligible.

-Nominations will last from today - January 1, 2015 - to February 13, 2015. If necessary due to low nomination totals, an extension to February 26, 2015 will be given.
    UPDATE 2/13: The extension is in effect. The new date is February 26, 2015.
    UPDATE 2/26: One final extension, to March 5, 2015.

-Each nomination form must nominate at least four different authors/fics. No nomination form may nominate the same story more than five times total, or the same author more than six times total.

-As a clarification, the awards are for material posted in 2014, not older moments in fics that were updated in 2014.

-Do not ask people to nominate/vote for you, as it is cheating and can result in disqualification. And no, you cannot nominate yourself either.

New:

Dragonfree has created a new site that can be used for nominations.

The link is here: http://serebii-fanfic-awards.herokuapp.com/

Link to the list of current nominations: http://serebii-fanfic-awards.herokua...omination/all/

Where to register for the site: http://serebii-fanfic-awards.herokuapp.com/register/

By registering at the site and verifying your Serebii account as per the instructions, you will be able to more easily submit and keep track of your nominations. The site will assist you in adhereing to the various nomination limits, and when the voting phase comes, it can also be used for that.

If you so wish, you may continue to post your nominations here as in past years. Dragonfree will handle entering such nominations and checking them for compliance with the rules.

In other words, the site is here to help make everything much more efficient and easy. Use of it is not required, but it will help make everything about nominating, keeping track of existing nominations and voting all smoother.

----
    Here is the list of categories. You may enter up to two nominations for each category.

Overall Fiction Awards

Best Pokemon Chaptered Fic
    Best New Pokemon Chaptered Fic
    Best Pokemon One-Shot
    Best Non-Pokemon Chaptered Fic
    Best Non-Pokemon One-Shot

Other Fic Awards
    Best Plot
    Most Original Overall
    Best Writing Style
    Best Description
    Best Setting
    Best Expansion of Canon
    Best Character Development
    Best Characterization in a Short Story
    Best Romantic Relationship
    Best Non-Romantic Relationship/Interaction
    Most Suspenseful Fic
    Most Heartbreaking Fic

Pokemon Genre Awards
    Best Trainer Fic
    Best Horror Fic
    Best Comedy Fic
    Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Fic
    Best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Fic
    Best Pokemon-Centric
    Best Canon Character-Centric

Character Awards
    Best Human Main Character
    Best Non-Human Main Character
    Best Human Supporting Character
    Best Non-Human Supporting Character
    Best Human Villain
    Best Non-Human Villain
    Best Minor Character
    Funniest Character

Fic Moments Awards*
    Funniest Scene
    Most Frightening Scene
    Most Heartbreaking Scene
    Most Heartwarming Scene
    Best Action Scene
    Best Cliffhanger
    Most Memorable Quote

Author Awards
    Best Established Writer
    Best New Writer
    Most Dedicated Writer
    Most Improved Writer

Reviewer Awards**
    Most Helpful Reviewer
    Most Dedicated Reviewer

* For the Fic Moments categories, please provide a link to the post containing the nominated moment, or a quote within spoiler tags of the moment itself if possible.

** For the Reviewer Awards categories, please provide a link to a review done by the nominated reviewer that you feel is an example of their excellence in that category. This will help voters choose who to vote for.
    Last edited by The Great Butler; 26th February 2015 at 5:31 AM.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 19: The Weight of the World (Part 1)
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 2)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Do we need to provide a description for why we made each nomination?
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 28 is up.

No, you do not. But you can always do that, and the external site version of making nominations by Dragonfree also allows the optional comment to be provided for every nomination.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Fandex! Browse/upload Pokemon Fanworks!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: Top 5 Best Ways to Make Your Pokemon Game Run More Challenging!
    Previous Article: Fan Work Reviews: insaneintherain's Jazz Covers!! VG music with sax! And interview!
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Nomination comments are simply an option provided for those users who want to share the reasoning for their nominations; it only exists because some users were doing that already in the nomination threads in previous years (see for example Jax's nomination post last year), and I didn't want the new system to make anything impossible that was possible on the forums (other than breaking the rules).
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 12th January 2015 at 7:12 PM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Reminder that there are eleven more days to get in your nominations, though the deadline may be extended.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Is it just me or has only one person made nominations? I mean, I don't mind winning Most Dedicated Writer by default, but I should think last year's nominees should feel pretty embarrassed if I do. :P
    Chapter 28 is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff4815 View Post
    Is it just me or has only one person made nominations? I mean, I don't mind winning Most Dedicated Writer by default, but I should think last year's nominees should feel pretty embarrassed if I do. :P
    Yeah, no, only one person submitted nominations.

Granted, mine has been delayed due to real life issues (including a Mystery Virus I'm battling right now), but still. Perhaps people who notice that only one person has submitted nominations could throw in a few of their own...?

(Not to put that too bluntly or anything. It'd just be an immense help if people just jumped in and ... kinda threw some nominations in here.)

Fair point. I normally would, but I haven't actually read any fics here over the past year. I find that whenever I start, I end up wanting to write instead. I can probably try to read a few that I'm interested in if I can find the time, but I'll have to see.
    Chapter 28 is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff4815 View Post
    Fair point. I normally would, but I haven't actually read any fics here over the past year. I find that whenever I start, I end up wanting to write instead.
    If it helps, I wrote a guide for this kind of situation last year. Feel free to look it over and see if it makes the nominations process a little bit easier.

Because, yeah, if we don't want to make this year's awards hilariously iffy, we're all going to have to pitch in and throw in nominations.

Edit: AND MINE ARE IN. \o/
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 9th February 2015 at 4:32 AM.

Would Sike Saner's two "new chaptered" fics fit better in the regular "chaptered fic" nomination section since they're edited versions of what was written and released years ago?

Otherwise I'm super happy other people pitched in. Keep it up, guys

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | the epitome of obscurity and innocence, combined |
    | letters 5/6 released 4/29/15 |

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving |
    | chapter 8 released 4/11/15 |

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpearl876 View Post
    Would Sike Saner's two "new chaptered" fics fit better in the regular "chaptered fic" nomination section since they're edited versions of what was written and released years ago?
    Y'know, I was going to say that they're new threads and that there is a history of rewrites being in the new chaptered fic category, but I realized that it really depends on whether or not Sike/the folks running this believe those fics have been edited enough to be considered entirely new stories. (I sort of did a side-by-side comparison when chapters started coming out because I have to admit I never read the original Origin of Storms and haven't gone through most of Communication, so on a structural level, I could tell there was a lot of editing going on. I can't entirely say that this is true on a plot level.) If other folks believe these would be better off in the other category, then I'd happily retract my nomination and ask someone else to submit a ballot on behalf of Sike in order to ensure her place. I'd unfortunately not be able to do so myself, as both of my nominations for that particular category are already accounted for, I'm afraid.

Terribly sorry for the trouble, but you can probably see why I'm hesitant to edit my nominations! x_x
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 10th February 2015 at 4:23 AM. Reason: Trying to edit that last line so that it DOESN'T sound weird.

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    Y'know, I was going to say that they're new threads and that there is a history of rewrites being in the new chaptered fic category, but I realized that it really depends on whether or not Sike/the folks running this believe those fics have been edited enough to be considered entirely new stories. (I sort of did a side-by-side comparison when chapters started coming out because I have to admit I never read the original Origin of Storms and haven't gone through most of Communication, so on a structural level, I could tell there was a lot of editing going on. I can't entirely say that this is true on a plot level.) If other folks believe these would be better off in the other category, then I'd happily retract my nomination and ask someone else to submit a ballot on behalf of Sike in order to ensure her place. I'd unfortunately not be able to do so myself, as both of my nominations for that particular category are already accounted for, I'm afraid.

Terribly sorry for the trouble, but you can probably see why I'm hesitant to edit my nominations! x_x
    I wasn't really sure how it had been done in the past, but from what Sike Saner has said in reply to my reviews, I think it's changed more in terms of structure and character focus. It was a pretty stupid question, so I apologize instead >_>

| survival project |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |

| limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving |

tbh when I suggested the category I didn't intend for rewrites to be eligible. The idea was more to give some appreciation to fanfics that were just starting out and which often have difficulty competing with the incumbents, many of which have had multiple years to build up a reader base. A rewrite typically carries over much of its audience from the previous incarnation and acquires more along the way, and I haven't yet seen one dramatic enough that I'd consider it a different story entirely. Restricting the eligibility to stories that were posted for the first time in any form in the past year would be more in keeping with the spirit of the category, I think.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

Yeah, I think it makes sense to reserve that award for new stories.

Another concern I noticed: Creepychu nominated Phoenixsong's The Best Game a couple of times, citing time zones, but given the fic was considered eligible and got numerous nominations last year, I think it should probably be considered a 2013 fic - in general one-shots are only eligible for one year's awards, and it seems somewhat unfair for one posted in the right time range on New Year's Eve to manage to get nominated in two consecutive years where other one-shots cannot. What does everyone else think?

Finally, I noticed JX Valentine and starliteevee both nominated the same bit of Fairy Tale by bobandbill for Funniest Scene, but JX Valentine's nomination has more context around it. Do you think we should consider them different, or should they be combined? The system automatically combines identical nominations into one, but for technically distinct ones like this to be combined, one has to be edited to match the other exactly (this can be done by the awards staff if we want to go that route, but I figured we'd want to discuss it rather than just go in and edit when the nominations are meaningfully different). If they were to be combined I think we should probably go with the longer version.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 10th February 2015 at 10:59 PM.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
    tbh when I suggested the category I didn't intend for rewrites to be eligible. The idea was more to give some appreciation to fanfics that were just starting out and which often have difficulty competing with the incumbents, many of which have had multiple years to build up a reader base. A rewrite typically carries over much of its audience from the previous incarnation and acquires more along the way, and I haven't yet seen one dramatic enough that I'd consider it a different story entirely. Restricting the eligibility to stories that were posted for the first time in any form in the past year would be more in keeping with the spirit of the category, I think.
    Welp. That makes last year's results rather awkward considering the runner up for that category, but fair enough. Retracting both nominations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    Another concern I noticed: Cutlerine nominated Phoenixsong's The Best Game a couple of times, citing time zones, but given the fic was considered eligible and got numerous nominations last year, I think it should probably be considered a 2013 fic - in general one-shots are only eligible for one year's awards, and it seems somewhat unfair for one posted in the right time range on New Year's Eve to manage to get nominated in two consecutive years where other one-shots cannot. What does everyone else think?
    I'd hate to say it (because I wholeheartedly believe that fic deserves all the accolades it can get), but I really think that if a one shot was presented in one year's fic awards, it shouldn't be presented in the next year's. It's just awkward that way, y'know?

Finally, I noticed JX Valentine and starliteevee both nominated the same bit of Fairy Tale by bobandbill for Funniest Scene, but JX Valentine's nomination has more context around it. Do you think we should consider them different, or should they be combined? The system automatically combines identical nominations into one, but for technically distinct ones like this to be combined, one has to be edited to match the other exactly (this can be done by the awards staff if we want to go that route, but I figured we'd want to discuss it rather than just go in and edit when the nominations are meaningfully different). If they were to be combined I think we should probably go with the longer version.
    Honestly, I was about to ask concerning this. I was hesitant about submitting a nomination for that scene, knowing that starliteevee has nominated basically the same thing before I could, but I strongly felt that the joke is in the context, including that paragraph. But still, they're basically the same thing.

So! It's good to know that there are options, and I'd be okay with seeing them combined.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 10th February 2015 at 5:59 AM.

Can a mod approve Sike Saner's fics being moved to Best Pokemon Chaptered Fic considering how both me and Jax have made our nominations for that category? We both agree they should be nominated... It's just placement I was confused about

| survival project |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    Another concern I noticed: Cutlerine nominated Phoenixsong's The Best Game a couple of times, citing time zones, but given the fic was considered eligible and got numerous nominations last year, I think it should probably be considered a 2013 fic - in general one-shots are only eligible for one year's awards, and it seems somewhat unfair for one posted in the right time range on New Year's Eve to manage to get nominated in two consecutive years where other one-shots cannot.
    Did I? That's odd. I don't remember doing that. At any rate, I think you're right; if it was nominated last year, it probably shouldn't be this year. It wouldn't be fair. Sorry about that. I don't know what I was thinking. I will go and retract that!

Edit: Upon logging on to the awards site, I discovered that it wasn't me who made the nomination but rather Creepychu. Which, now I think about it, would explain why I don't remember doing it. Anyway, I guess my opinion still stands -- it probably ought not to be nominated again.
    Last edited by Cutlerine; 10th February 2015 at 11:42 AM.
    TIME AND TIDE
    Post-post-apocalyptic memoirs from a pirate poet.

A LEASH OF FOXES
    You wake up. You get to your feet. You step into the wild, wild East.

SNOW
    Christmas. But weirder.

I agree with that as well. Once nominated, it's out of bounds if it is a one shot. Also would agree with the Sike Sanner fic location too; I'm sure we can nominate it (at worst, count it as one of my nominations for the Best Chaptered Fic section... or maybe I'll just do it when I get around to a few nominations within a couple days anyway. People are free to ninja if they feel likewise with the above though).

Regarding the Fairy Tale nominations, as I'm the author (:V) I'm throwing my support behind the longer excerpt as well and hence combining the nominations. Extra context does help for the scene and joke imo, and after all both contain the same section as well.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Fandex! Browse/upload Pokemon Fanworks!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: Top 5 Best Ways to Make Your Pokemon Game Run More Challenging!
    Previous Article: Fan Work Reviews: insaneintherain's Jazz Covers!! VG music with sax! And interview!
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill
    Regarding the Fairy Tale nominations, as I'm the author (:V) I'm throwing my support behind the longer excerpt as well and hence combining the nominations. Extra context does help for the scene and joke imo, and after all both contain the same section as well.
    That settles it; I'll retract my nomination I guess it was really stupid of me to include only a small bit; I'm so sorry about that, and I'll try to do better in the future. This is my first time dong this stuff, and I'm still discovering how it all works.

As for the one-shot issue, I'm going to jump aboard the bandwagon and say that it's only fair to be nominated one year (sorry!). It just seems like then they'll be on equal footing with everyone else who writes one-shots, if that makes any sense.

My fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to Sketchie of Coronet Designs

In the future it might be a good idea to put a time as well as a date restriction on when stories are eligible (e.g. "12:01 AM EST January 1st, 2014 through midnight EST December 31st 2014", or whatever timezone you want to use) so there's no gray around whether a particular story qualifies.

Would it be possible to get an extension through the weekend for nominations?

An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Final Chapter added 05-15-2014)

-Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the banner above, and Sworn Metalhead for the banner below -

All Hail the Six Kings...
    Chapter Three added (03-31-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Would it be possible to get an extension through the weekend for nominations?
    I was going to put in the extension to February 26 anyway, so I may as well go ahead and do it now.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Hey. Just to let everyone know, I've just edited some nominations:

- Removed Creepychu's (not Cutlerine, whoops) nominations for The Best Game, as discussed previously.
    - Moved PhalanxSigil's nomination for Anima Ex Machina: REBOOT in the Best New Pokémon Chaptered Fic category to Best Pokémon Chaptered Fic, as the fic is not only a reboot but also started in 2013.

Additionally, a couple of other concerns I noticed while going through things:

- Kukansis, nominated for Best New Writer, started PMD: Sentience at 4:17 AM UTC on January 1st 2014, but actually won the same category after being nominated last year. Presumably it makes sense to move that nomination to Best Established Writer since we agreed to disqualify The Best Game, no? (I have to suggest we make the general cutoff point be midnight UTC, though, so that unless they were already nominated in the 2013 awards, stories posted from 00:00 UTC January 1st 2014 to 23:59 UTC December 31st 2014 are eligible for the 2014 awards. Since this is a forum with members all over the world, UTC just makes the most sense as the canonical timezone for something like this.)
    - The sample review Negrek provided when nominating me for Most Helpful Reviewer is from 2015. I'm honestly not sure whether that should be allowed or not; on the one hand, it is only a sample and not being nominated in itself, but on the other hand, this is the 2014 awards and the assumption is that people are being nominated for what they did in 2014, so it would make sense if samples were samples of their reviews in 2014. Opinions?

Morphic

Do what you need to with the stuff I've nominated. Honestly, I didn't remember he was nominated for it last year, so it makes sense.
    Pokémon: Convergence

"Dimension-hopping shenanigans." Need I say more?

Next Chapter: Chapter 5

----------------------------

Mother of the Cave

One-shot about an aggron watching over her den...until poachers appear and screw everything up.

Next Chapter: N/A

I'm still taking criticism for this story.

The sample review Negrek provided when nominating me for Most Helpful Reviewer is from 2015. I'm honestly not sure whether that should be allowed or not; on the one hand, it is only a sample and not being nominated in itself, but on the other hand, this is the 2014 awards and the assumption is that people are being nominated for what they did in 2014, so it would make sense if samples were samples of their reviews in 2014. Opinions?
    Whoops. I do think review samples should be from within the story eligibility time window; people change their review habits, after all. That was just an oversight on my part, and I'll get it fixed up in a second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast