Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get out of there, stupid!

Default Get out of there, stupid!

Have you ever felt yelling that at someone's Pokemon when a direct hit's coming their way, yet they're just standing there doing nothing? Do you find it quite annoying that they don't even bother trying to escape or counter the move on their own? For example, in the episode The Symbol Life (AG136), Ash's Charizard is just standing/floating there while Noland's Articuno is charging up a Water Pulse (or something, can't remember), which could easily take him out upon impact, and Ash is just standing there as well, thinking, which in that time Articuno could easily fire that Water Pulse, but instead the writers give him an upper edge, give him like twenty seconds to think about what to do, then counters the attack. though Charizard could've just flown out of the way instead, if he was still strong enough to keep himself in the air.

Anyone get bugged in situations like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    Have you ever felt yelling that at someone's Pokemon when a direct hit's coming their way, yet they're just standing there doing nothing? Do you find it quite annoying that they don't even bother trying to escape or counter the move on their own? For example, in the episode The Symbol Life (AG136), Ash's Charizard is just standing/floating there while Noland's Articuno is charging up a Water Pulse (or something, can't remember), which could easily take him out upon impact, and Ash is just standing there as well, thinking, which in that time Articuno could easily fire that Water Pulse, but instead the writers give him an upper edge, give him like twenty seconds to think about what to do, then counters the attack. though Charizard could've just flown out of the way instead, if he was still strong enough to keep himself in the air.

No because I am not stupid and don't get worked over what is a kid's cartoon.

Also it isn't like they can hear you.
    Last edited by blaze boy; 7th April 2012 at 10:19 PM.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

No, for the same reason blaze boy said.

Now, I think you should have provided more examples to further validate your point.

Sometimes...I don't know if I pay attention enough xD but I do yell at the characters. Most of the time I pick on their questions or their expressions.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

I indeed think it's stupid, but if all Pokemon would evade all attacks, the battles would be too long, boring and defensive. Then, no Pokemon would ever be defeated and almost no attacks would hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post

No, as I see this in pretty much every show. Regardless, I don't take shows seriously so if a situation like this arises if anything I'll just joke around with it, but usually I just look the other way, it's never a big deal to me.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

This just reminds me of How The trainers never get frustraited when the Gym Leader uses a Hyper Potion on their Best Pokemon just before they are about to faint. That never happens in the animes.
    Signiture Underconstruction

I used to always yell, WTF ASH Y U SO STUPID
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaMilotic View Post
    I indeed think it's stupid, but if all Pokemon would evade all attacks, the battles would be too long, boring and defensive. Then, no Pokemon would ever be defeated and almost no attacks would hit.
    Or they could animate it more fast-paced, so that the attacks hitting seem more realistic. The way battles are paced has always been the big problem with the show.

It's been better in the latest series, but still quite lacking(most recent case- Burgundy's Dewott just standing there while Excadrill's Focus Blast slowly powered through it's Ice Beam)
    Help spread the Dragonbuster Love!
    Hail to Saint Georgia!

Nah it doesn't bother me, but i do sit there and think about how it could have been done.

Whenever i watch the battle in my head im like: "alright quick dodge and use -------", but that never happens, instead the Pokemon gets injured, or gets infinite amount of time to counter the attack when realistically it shouldn't have enough time.

This is kinda unrelated, but since pokémon has the same sort of (if not more advanced) technology as the real world why hasn't a trainer had the idea to hook there pokemon up with a bluetooth headset and give it commands through that so it's got the element of suprise. I mean surely it's gotta be a bit more calculated than yelling "TEPIG USE FLAMETHROWER!" right?

I said that when ash tried to make treeko use harden
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Multishipper / I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunset
    ChatanGo | BulbaGarden Forums | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Yeah, this is why the dodge action exists. Missy, you should know that!

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Yeah. I used to do that back when I was a yound lad. But now it's like it's not even important anymore.

My ideal battle ever!

I feel this way no matter what show it is (but I don't yell at the TV). I can understand if they're having a "deer in headlights" moment, but normally, someone, even an animal (sometimes), will run for it. I know it's for suspense, but it makes them look really dumb and helpless when they aren't.

And I find it really stupid how a Pokémon has to be told to dodge an attack. I didn't think of it much as a kid, but nowadays, it bothers me. I mean, what if the kid was distracted elsewhere or is a rookie (or just a really dumb kid)? You can't expect the Pokémon to stand there and take it without another thought. Guess it explains the many fan fiction that doesn't have the trainer screaming at their Pokémon to dodge, it's unrealistic that way.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    No because I am not stupid and don't get worked over what is a kid's cartoon.
    Guess I must be stupid. =P

This kind of thing is so frustrating! Sometimes, we see a Pokemon pull off this awesome last-second dodge away from an attack they've got no business avoiding (even attacks like Magical Leaf or Swift, if you'll believe it). Then other times, we see a Pokemon just stand there dumbstruck as what looks from our vantage point like a completely avoidable attack inches its way over and just smacks them right down. I can't stand it when they animate a Pokemon such that it looks like it has no inclination to dodge an incoming attack. u_u
    3DS Code: 2723 9573 9029

Spoiler:- Whitman's code:

Inclined to sticky this thread for its amusing title alone ;P

Surely there are instances where an attack simply can't be dodged, and moments where the Pokémon refuses to move or where the Trainer doesn't tell it to move are meant to be some of those instances. Most of the time they do a good job with it I think, but sometimes the animators fail to illustrate that the attack is unavoidable, I agree.

I'm perfectly fine with it when it's a large-scale move that's obviously unevadable (e.g. Drew VS May, when Combusken was simply staring at Absol's Surf-like Water Pulse approaching), the Pokémon shows obvious signs of being startled to immobility/'flinching' (e.g. Chimchar against Zangoose in the Tag Battle tournament), or when the animators show at least an attempt to evade the attack shortly before it hits (a Pokémon sitting up from a lying position, standing up from a sitting position, jerky motions that indicate it wants to run).

I don't yell at the screen any more, nor do I get annoyed at the fact that the Pokémon doesn't dodge in itself, but I do get miffed when an animator is too lazy to make it clear that an attempt to escape would've been pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    And I find it really stupid how a Pokémon has to be told to dodge an attack. I didn't think of it much as a kid, but nowadays, it bothers me. I mean, what if the kid was distracted elsewhere or is a rookie (or just a really dumb kid)? You can't expect the Pokémon to stand there and take it without another thought. Guess it explains the many fan fiction that doesn't have the trainer screaming at their Pokémon to dodge, it's unrealistic that way.
    It probably has to do with the fact that some Trainers are shown to have Pokémon block or repel moves instead of dodging them. Dodging often means increasing the distance between the two opposing Pokémon, which is disadvantageous for Pokémon who're proficient in close combats, or causing the Pokémon to be in mid-air for a few seconds (when it has to jump high to avoid something), which leaves it vulnerable and unable to attack with full power. Then there are Pokémon with Bide, Revenge and similar moves, which can only be unleashed upon absorbing the damage they receive from the opponent's attacks.
    Last edited by Sushi; 9th April 2012 at 3:58 PM.

I stopped trying to apply reason to the show when Pikachu aimed for the horn.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I never shout at the TV (for this or any show), but it is definitely frustrating. It's possible that they're trying to make it more like the games, where attacks usually hit. Still, the battles would be much faster paced and more exciting if the Pokemon were always trying to dodge attacks gracefully. They could at least show the Pokemon getting backed into a corner or have some other explanation as to why it couldn't possibly dodge.
    ~ * My Photobucket Album * ~

Thousands of screencaps of Pokémon, Toradora!, Shugo Chara!, Clannad, K-ON!, and many other anime.
    Use them however you want!

~ * GoodSearch * ~

Search engine that donates a penny to the charity of your choosing every time you do a search. Spread the word, help the world!

Click here to read my one and only Pokemon fanfic! I hope you enjoy it!

I only post on Serebii sporadically, just so you know.

It doesn't really pisses me off, but I admit sometimes I can't help but get a bit bothered with the pokemon standing still until the move hits. But it's not something that annoys me in a way that makes me feel shouting "get out there!"

It REALLY annoys me. Really Pokemon writers!?! Battles could be a LOT more interesting if Pokemon could dodge or do other stuff on their own free will in battles.

White FC: 4728-9093-6439
    Black FC: 3182-0667-6113
    White 2 FC: 1206-7086-4447

I currently have: 1625 Events recorded, with thousands more to come

Well to be fair, I couldn't react that much quicker myself.
    I have claimed Empoleon, Super Mario Galaxy, and Rosalina!
    3DS FC- 1762-3779-2632
    I have a Fairy Type Safari with Kirlia, Jigglypuff, and Clefairy!

paul was the most annoying in this case,he just stood there and let his pokemon get hit.
    I did yell at my tv when paul lost to ash,just to find out how pointless it was(which i already knew was pointless).Thankfully,i didn't make a fool out of myself 'cause,i had my door shut and my parent's were asleep at the moment.

doesn't matter,there's still a kid hiding inside me

Oh my gosh yeah, I do it all the time. I can't remember a moment from the top of my head though. :/

"If someone tells me it's wrong to hope, I will tell them they're wrong every time. I could tell them that countless times" -Madoka Kaname

Quote Originally Posted by rohit_1997 View Post
    paul was the most annoying in this case,he just stood there and let his pokemon get hit.
    I did yell at my tv when paul lost to ash,just to find out how pointless it was(which i already knew was pointless).Thankfully,i didn't make a fool out of myself 'cause,i had my door shut and my parent's were asleep at the moment.

doesn't matter,there's still a kid hiding inside me
    I agree. When Chimchar was about to get pumbled, I was very upset and jumpy. Gary wanted to make me jump through the screen and smack him some times too. But that was because his voice was so scratchy that it killed my ears.

My ideal battle ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast