Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #67

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    lol its not that Tangrowth didn't get love, its that there are only a few things that it can do. We should do more interesting Pokemon.. Come on, Gigalith? What does it do. Stone Edge?
    It could be worse. Just wait until we get Skarmory. It has literally one good set, with the only real variation being physically defensive V.S. specially defensive and Leftovers V.S. Shed Shell.

Can sturdy let gigalinth survive its own explosion?

Also, as limited as its movepool are, rock/ground combo is actually good. The only pokemon that resists both are nincada, torterra and grass/fighting mons.
    Last edited by pikadon92; 10th April 2012 at 4:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikadon92 View Post
    Can sturdy let gigalinth survive its own explosion?
    Unfortunately, no. Now, what it can do is let Gigalith survive with 1 HP, use a Custap Berry, and then fire off Explosion before the opponent has the chance to attack. I don't think the Custap Berry is available in BW yet, but that will be a neat trick when the berry becomes available.

Exclamation Response (I already made some changes)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Please don't use solar beam on sets it is pitiful...
    Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    How will Abomasnow counter Gigalith? At the very least, Aboma will die as well.
    Also, no Explosion?
    The biggest reason I even put Solarbeam up at all is because it might be used against water and ground-type pokemon espically those with Damp ability, like Quagsire and Poliwrath. Besides, I have no intention on using Explosion. As for Abomasnow, I thought it might use Energy Ball while Hail is in effect at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondClass View Post
    Salamance@Dragon Gem
    Moxie
    Jolly
    252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

- Dragon Dance
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    Are you stating a possible partner for Gigalith or are you being off topic?
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Partners
    Bronzong- trick room always is good and resists sandstorm
    Tyranitar/hippowdon- sandstorm is there for gigalith
    Landourus,excadrill- murderous in sandstorm
    Swampert-bulky enough to stop ground types

Puns:
    Lithin on a Prayer
    The roggenrolla (rock 'n roller) is just here for a gig

I know, these puns aren't exactly a gold mine, but I hit rock bottom recently....

EDIT: For what purpose would you teach a Gigalith Solar Beam?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    Alternatively, the Pokemon fandom is on a whole entirely unable to be pleased, and no matter what Game Freak does, a loud minority will always ***** about how they could have done it better. :P

Fun with SI prefixes:

What do you call a 2000 g. mockingbird?

2 kilo Mockingbird

That pun was like 1 trillion bulls: terra-bull

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    The biggest reason I even put Solarbeam up at all is because it might be used against water and ground-type pokemon espically those with Damp ability, like Quagsire and Poliwrath. Besides, I have no intention on using Explosion. As for Abomasnow, I thought it might use Energy Ball while Hail is in effect at the time.
    No explosion= use return no one uses damp LOL

Solar Beam= useless using an earthquake is much more effective than a *4 solar beam which also takes 2 turns to charge on sandstorm that's where gigalith should be btw.
    abomasnow is weak to it's STAB so no... it might be a counter but no check.

It have a bad special attack and a HUGE attack, using special attacks is like using deoxys-A or rampardos defensively.

I think when DW gigalith will be released we will see some in sand teams on UU or trick room sand teams.

more bad puns:
    Mighty Monolith( gigalith= giga + monolith)
    I have only ONE (referring to gigalith's pitiful movepool)
    Giga Band (choice band)
    Last edited by Ilan; 10th April 2012 at 4:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Lololol...on the point of using solarbeam in sand...its base power is reduced to 1/2...aka a base 60power power grass type special attack that takes 2the turns to charge...very trolly, if i say so myself

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    It could be worse. Just wait until we get Skarmory. It has literally one good set, with the only real variation being physically defensive V.S. specially defensive and Leftovers V.S. Shed Shell.
    I think we did Rollout Shuckle, so maybe SD Skarm?

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

I still hold true to the fact that 'lith can use Rock Blast quite well. An opponent Sub-Stalling to activate a Berry can be bad for 'lith's health. Getting the same Power as Smack Down, Rock Slide, Stone Edge, and better in one Move:
    -2 hits, you get a pseudo-Smack Down or chip off some decent HP past a Sub.
    -3 hits is an effective Rock Slide or a fake Smack Down past a Sub
    -4 hits gives an impressive mock Stone Edge or Rock Slide beyond a Sub
    -5 hits is beyond Stone Edge or a Stone Edge-Powered Move through a Sub

Random, yes, but coming into a Sub gives an opponent a chance to KO you first without it...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Rock Blast out damages Stone Edge only on a 5th hit (though it has better accuracy so its also "better" on the 4th hit). Sadly Rock Blast only has a 33% chance of hitting 4 or 5 times. Stone Edge may suck but at least its damage is consistent (err, as long as it hits).

Solar Beam= useless using an earthquake is much more effective than a *4 solar beam which also takes 2 turns to charge on sandstorm that's where gigalith should be btw.
    Even with Power Herb and Sunny Day partners, I understand enough to abandon Solarbeam. I already change the moveset to an all-physical one.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Meh, smogon has some interesting other options...I'll just improvise some sets...feel free to edit these...

Rock-et Launcher
    Sturdy/Sand Force
    Leftovers/Life Orb
    Jolly/Adamant Nature
    252 atk/252 spd/4 sp def
    ~Autotomize/Rock Polish
    ~Rock Blast/Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    ~Earthquake
    ~Return/Frustration/Explosion/Substitute/Stealth Rock/Heavy Slam
    You may be wondering, how fast can something with base 25 power speed go? Well, at +2 speed and a Jolly nature, you're looking around a whoping 326 speed. What does that outspeed? Figure it out yourself! That's in OU, too, by the way. Anyways...rock moves for stab, eq for coverage, and a normal move for even more coverage...sub so you can hopefully get +4 speed and outspeed a more common threat...stealth rock just cuz it has no better moves...and explosion just in case you want to go boom...heavy slam cuz you weigh a lot.

Yes, I stole Curselax's EV spread.

Sturdy/Sand Force
    Leftovers/Life Orb
    Careful or some other Nature that I don't care to think about
    208 HP / 124 Def / 176 SpD
    ~Curse
    ~Rock Blast/Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    ~Earthquake
    ~Return/Frustration/Explosion/Heavy Slam
    In the words of Smogon, "Curse is fairly viable, both in a conservative fashion and offensively in a Trick Room setting, though it certainly requires support to pull off." As for the rest of the moves...yada yada yada, you've heard it all before and I'm lazy...it's 1020 at night and the only dinner I've had so far is a cereal bar, don't bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Rock Blast out damages Stone Edge only on a 5th hit (though it has better accuracy so its also "better" on the 4th hit). Sadly Rock Blast only has a 33% chance of hitting 4 or 5 times. Stone Edge may suck but at least its damage is consistent (err, as long as it hits).
    ...and that's the tradeoff. Ability to hit more accurately and through Subs VS ability to deal consistent damage with a high Crit chance. That's always why certain Moves of the same Type are considered for sets instead of being...eh-heh...set in stone...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Another good move is facade. If gigalith is burnt, then it can survive if burnt, or get stronger if paralysed or poisoned. a good sub for explosion if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Another good move is facade. If gigalith is burnt, then it can survive if burnt, or get stronger if paralysed or poisoned. a good sub for explosion if you want.
    There's no point to facade... burn wreaks it anyway... stone edge have 150 BP after STAB always
    facade have 140 BP when paralyzed/poisoned
    overall facade is for pokemon who like to get statused (guts,poison heal,quick feet etc) gigalith is NOT one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

There's no point to facade... burn wreaks it anyway... stone edge have 150 BP after STAB always
    facade have 140 BP when paralyzed/poisoned
    overall facade is for pokemon who like to get statused (guts,poison heal,quick feet etc) gigalith is NOT one of them
    I'm not that muck of a fan with explosion. It is just there if you are burnt-which is quite common in all tiers.

2 words - rock moves!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Here is a wall set
    -use in trick room sandstorm
    SS gigalith
    -toxic
    -protect
    -swagger/rest
    -Stone edge/earthquake
    Nature:sassy
    Evs 200 hp, 52 def, 252 sp def
    Item leftovers/lum berry/iron ball
    Ability: sturdy
    Ss is short for sandstorm squad, a team which I use (sandstorm based)
    Boosts sp def in sandstorm and sassy makes it good in trick room
    Toxic causes damage. Protect stalls the foe. Swagger means less likely to hit, but rest is recovery( use lum berry here)
    Earthquake is more favourable , as teamed with iron ball, takes out steels, eg. Skarmory, but stone edge is STAB, so its you choice

I recently caught a shiny Roggenrolla too! Shiny Gigalith is awesome.

The set I would probably use would be:

Cursed Paperweight
    Sturdy
    Chesto Berry/ Leftovers
    Careful/Impish
    252 HP/ 252 Sp. Def/ 4 Def
    Curse
    Rest/ Stealth Rock/Protect
    Stone Edge/ Rock Slide
    Earthquake/ Stealth Rock/ Explosion/Protect

Gigalith's titanic stats are sadly undermined by pathetic speed, shallow movepool and defensively poor typing, being weak to common Water, Fighting, Ground and Grass moves. Being weak to Steel sucks too since Scizor's Bullet Punch kinda hurts... I would also mention that the weakness to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave is bad if it didn't matter at all whatsoever because of it's awful speed. Despite it's many flaws, I think it may be able to somewhat function in a Sandstorm or under Trick Room with this set. In fact, I would say to use this primarily in Sandstorm conditions, for that sweet and nifty 1.5x Sp. Def. boost it picks up. That with Curse can make it bulky, however, the fact it doesn't have a good recovery move other than the Rest/ Chesto Berry combo means that despite the stat gains, it still won't last too long. Sturdy is the preferred ability since it's a free Sash so if you opt to use Stealth Rocks over one of it's other moves you can set them up, or you can Explode, or Curse (Although it's useless if they bring you to Sturdy anyway...), but it's basically a free turn as long as you're 100%... He gets access to the nice EdgeQuake combo which is nice. I have Rock Slide listed as an alternative if you HATE Stone Edge's less than stellar accuracy, but you miss out on OHKO's that could give you the game, and Rock Slide's Flinch might as well not exist on Gigalith due to his speed.

Doubles/Triples: LOL! Weakness to Surf and Earthquake make him useless. Sturdy isn't as useful in Doubles either. The only way to make ROMOTELY useful is Air Balloon... But that would be a waste of a good item...
    If you like this, see this and much more at...

http://superartninja.deviantart.com/# - Deviant Art Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    A lucky use of Scald that scores a Burn is an effective 1HKO. Omastar is also Sandstorm-immune and has STAB Scald. Golduck has access to Cloud Nine Ability and STAB Scald. Speaking of Cloud Nine Ability, Lickilicky can fight back with Muddy Water and tank hits rather well.
    Also true, I was mainly trying to break the habit of coming with specially oriented counters by showing some physically oriented ones. Still watch out for EQ when countering with Omastar, I'm pretty sure that Giga 2KOs Omastar with EQ, perhaps even 1KO with a boosting item and Sand Force active.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

All of those counters are lower tier, and not as viable in OU. Better counters are things such as Skarmory, which resists the rock thing's moves. QuakeEdge resists are good counters, and so are pokes with a generally high defence. Especially Ferrothorn, as it can fight back with Super-effective STABS (not that you should be using steel moves).

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    I'm not that muck of a fan with explosion. It is just there if you are burnt-which is quite common in all tiers.
    Then use return/frustration.

explosion is a suggestion cuz gigalith has a shallow movepool...if there was a better move it could learn, it would learn it.

And, eh, facade ain't a bad idea, but as suggested, it's best with stuff that relies on status to sweep or stall. The only time it would ever outclass return/explosion/frustration is if you switch it in on toxic spikes since the burn pretty much nullifies facade's effect of power doubling--before the burn, it's base 70; after the burn, it's base 35*2...which is 70. It is more powerful than return/frustration tho at base 70 when burned, however, gigalith won't be able to do much else with a base 70 move; at that point, it's pretty much crippled since its stab attacks and eq won't be doing much...so the only thing left would just be to go boom or use it as death fodder.

More counters:
    Skarmory- if there is no iron ball- as it resists eq and not badly hit by anything in giga's shallow move pool
    Gliscor- same as skarmory
    Mold breaker/zekrom and resharim - no sturdy to save it =]

use explosion to take out pokemon that's not steel, rock, ghost. earthquake+stone edge
    White2 FC: 1077 7567 6538
    White1 FC: 1507 2540 5128
    Always looking for events!
    I currently live in Taiwan(GMT+8)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast