Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesect [Discussion]

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post
    Rain is still at high levels anyway, but it is possible. Genesect does have decent bulk already, so in rain it would probably help it to survive weak HP Fire attacks. Rain would also allow Genesect to use Thunder. One problem with that I see is that a lot of Genesect would like to run Flamethrower themselves, and with the rain that doesn't work out so well. So I am kind of on the fence about that one.
    You could just use it as a Rock Polish Sweeper in the rain. As long as you have a dedicated team member for taking out Steel types, most notably Jirachi and Ferrothorn, you could get away with a Rock Polish/Bug Buzz/Ice Beam/Thunder to decent usage. Being able to resist common attacks from late game sweepers, such as Lucario and Dragonite, gives it chances to set up Rock Polish and sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmnswampmaster View Post
    Now that I think about it Genesect could work well as a Weather counter, just change a move in it's mixed set, for example I would run Thunder over thunderbolt to hit Rain teams hard, HP Fighting and Ice Beam seem good for Sand teams, and I know it sounds stupid but if you think about it it could work in Sun since it gets Flamethrower but also it can use it's other moves to counter opposing weathers
    Not exactly. Against sun, you're still unable to hit fire types, factoring in Thunder's terrible miss under sun, Ice Beam and Flamethrower is not great against Fire types, and HP-Fighting does lol% damage to Heatran. HP-Fighting isn't going to do much against Terrakion or Tyranitar due to Sand's boost to Sp. Def.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by pkmnswampmaster View Post
    Now that I think about it Genesect could work well as a Weather counter, just change a move in it's mixed set, for example I would run Thunder over thunderbolt to hit Rain teams hard, HP Fighting and Ice Beam seem good for Sand teams, and I know it sounds stupid but if you think about it it could work in Sun since it gets Flamethrower but also it can use it's other moves to counter opposing weathers
    I also don't know if I'd call it a weather "counter" so much as a weather "abuser" sort of, in that case. Either way I agree with Eaglehawk that you aren't really going to beat any weather for sure except you could probably manage to KO Abomasnow :P

GodDamnZilla

I think it might even be UU. I certaintly dont like slow pokemon. Will it have something like Agility?

Banner credit to The Sloth

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny View Post
    I think it might even be UU. I certaintly dont like slow pokemon. Will it have something like Agility?
    UU? just cause YOU don't like slow pokemons seems legit..
    it get rock polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

No way in hell. Its far too versatile, powerful, and resistant. Also 99 spe isn't "slow" persay, it just is a "bad" speed tier to be in as you are almost fast enough, but not quite there.

GodDamnZilla

I'd like to add that Specially Defensive Jirachi is a good counter to Genesect. It is only 3HKO'd even after rocks and can Paraflinch or try to KO it with Fire Punch which OHKO's 50% of the time with rocks on the standard specially defensive set.
    Witness the truly awesome power of my claimed Gyarados.

Gyarados used Epic Awesomeness!
    It's super effective!
    The foe lost OVER 9000% of its health!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero View Post
    "I moved my Monopoly piece forward two squares when nobody was looking, but I didn't use an action replay so it's totally okay"

sounds like a reliable combatant, I'll add that.

GodDamnZilla

It's probably going to make a great choice scarfer. Download, 120 attack and special attack, great coverage, and U-turn to help it out on the ever so popular Volt Turn teams. It may also make a great choice specs wall breaker, yet again, because of download and coverage. It can outrun every common wall I think of, even if it is a little slow, that's only compared to other offensive pokemon.

Speed isn't a problem.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    If I get agitated or embarrassed, I have a tendency to say stupid things as a cover up. Think nothing of it.

Updating the Checks and Counters list with :

Chansey - Eviolite Chansey fears absolutely nothing from Genesect. It's U-turn will be laughed at and obviously any Special move will as well. Lacking recovery, Genesect will lose health and go down fast from Seismic Toss, or can be severly crippled by a T-Wave.

Chandelure - Chandelure really doesn't fear anything Genesect will carry. It can also threaten it with an extremely powerful STAB Fire move.

GodDamnZilla

I think for the counters list Blissey ought to be considered, for essentially the same reasons as Chansey. Even with the specs set, it still would only 4HKO, while U-Turn does only about 30%, which can be immediately Soft Boiled off. Special moves obviously will do nothing worthwhile to Blissey, while it can T-Wave then Flamethrower Genesect.
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.

Default Meet Solid Snake's Pokemon form, Genesect.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With Metal gear solid 3: Snake eater puns and references:

Currently unreleased, Genesect (Known as Metal Genesect Solid) is the last Pokemon (the only one who can defeat the Fire Cobra unit and THE BOSS) in the National Pokedex. It is a very powerful force (Train by the Fox Unit), as seen in the Dream World Tier. With a very effective movepool (with man made weapons)and great defensive (with environmental camouflage) typing, Genesect finds itself being a very large threat. Genesect also has a good ability in Download, that it can almost always use to its advantage (From long Range gun combat to CQC battles). Genesect can use the spA boost greatly with its Bolt/Beam, STAB Bug Buzz, or Flamethrower (The guns). Genesect can also benefit from the atk boost to throw powerful U-turns and X-scissors(CQC). Genesect does have its downfalls though. a base 99 speed leaves it in an undesirable speed tier, and allows it to be beat by base 100's such as Salamence with Fire Blast. This thread is here to discuss possible sets Genesect will use once it is released into standard play. This thread is also here to discuss if this Genesect will be "broken" enough to be removed from standard play and cast into the realm of Ubers.

Genesect has several useable offensive move options. These include:

- Bug Buzz
    - Explosion
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - U turn
    - X-scissor

* Note that its signature move, Techno Blast, is not worth using as Flamethrower,
    Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt are all stronger versions of what Techno Blast could become.
    Using these types for Techno Blast would also cause Genesect to lose out on a held item, which is also not worth it.

Support / Boosting Options:

- Charge Beam
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Rock Polish
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Toxic

Example Sets:

Spoiler:- Sets:

Checks / Counters: Meet the Cobra Unit IN POKEMON FORMS.

- Heatran (AKA 'THE FURY'): Heatran takes any hit Genesect throws at it well, bar HP Ground and throws a powerful 4x Super Effective Fire move at it.

- Magnezone (AKA 'VOLGIN') : Magnezone can trap and KO Genesect fairly easily with HP Fire. Magnezone must beware of Flamethrower from Genesect though.

- Jirachi : (AKA 'THE END') Specially defensive Jirachi can take a 3HKO from Genesect while being able to paralyze and cripple it or 1-2HKO it with a fire punch.

- Chansey : (AKA 'THE PAIN') Eviolite Chansey fears absolutely nothing from Genesect. It's U-turn will be laughed at and obviously any Special move will as well. Lacking recovery, Genesect will lose health and go down
    fast from Seismic Toss, or can be severly crippled by a T-Wave.

- Chandelure : (AKA 'THE FEAR') Chandelure really doesn't fear anything Genesect will carry. It can also threaten it with an extremely powerful STAB Fire move.

In conclusion, I personally can not wait until Genesect is released. I think it is a very interesting Pokemon and would like to see how it functions in standard play. Of course I am not against the ruling of it becoming Uber if it seems broken, though I really am not sure at the moment. It seems as though common threats like Heatran can really shut Genesect down. So I would like to see how you guys feel about Genesect. Also if you have any sets, or contributions you would like to make to this thread, feel free to post them.
    I hope you like the puns and similarities that I added cause Genesect IS Solid Snake. or Metal Gear Rex.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Thinking about it, it could be a great partner for any physical sweeper. I can't think of a single physical or mixed wall that can stop it, making it perfect for clearing the way for, say, Terrakion.
    If I get agitated or embarrassed, I have a tendency to say stupid things as a cover up. Think nothing of it.

Genesect will be a Scarf dick if it's OU. I'm more into the other 2, as Keldeo is a Special Terrakion while Pirquette Meloetta is a faster Terrakion (by far)
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613

Credit to Astral Shadow

Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

Quote Originally Posted by bobyjoe5000 View Post
    Genesect will be a Scarf dick if it's OU. I'm more into the other 2, as Keldeo is a Special Terrakion while Pirquette Meloetta is a faster Terrakion (by far)
    Problem with Pira~~~~ not even gonna try, Meloetta is that you have to set up with a move, which limits your movepool and well obv, you have to take the turn to set up. I think Keldeo will be cool as well, but I definetly think Genesect will be a big threat.

GodDamnZilla

Problem with Pira~~~~ not even gonna try, Meloetta is that you have to set up with a move, which limits your movepool and well obv, you have to take the turn to set up. I think Keldeo will be cool as well, but I definetly think Genesect will be a big threat.
    And you're probably better off using a different set up sweeper then Meloetta, since they can get more of a boost in one turn.

ya, even though you have to use Relic Song for a turn, that's why ou switch it to say a fighting type the will most likely switch. better hope a ghost doesnt come out though
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613

Credit to Astral Shadow

Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

Quote Originally Posted by bobyjoe5000 View Post
    ya, even though you have to use Relic Song for a turn, that's why ou switch it to say a fighting type the will most likely switch. better hope a ghost doesnt come out though
    The point is that the boost Meloetta gets from Relic Song isn't half as big as one that Terrakion, Infernape, or just about any other fighting type will get from something like swords dance.

Default Mao Genesect Moveset Mao

So umm... Mixed/Physical anyone?

JUST GOING TO HIT CHU HARD.
    Genesect (Hasty/ Naive)
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    EV Spread: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Sp. Atk/HP
    Moveset:
    -X-Scissor
    -Self Destruct (ONLY USE ON FOCUS SASH!) or Tri Attack/ Hidden Power Water
    -Shadow Claw/Ice Beam
    -Rock Polish/Flame Charge

So, ummm.... how about a mixed or physical Genesect? I mean, he has potential. Rock Polish is there to boost some speed. While you could use Flame charge to boost speed while hitting. X-Scissor is mixed/physical Genesect's main stab. Self Destruct is to EXPLODE when your at 1 HP or low HP (But fire types are mostly going to switch in so you'll be at 1 hp more often.) Tri Attack is to utilize a sp. attack boost, while Hidden Power Water will prevent Steel and Fire from ruining your party. Shadow Claw is there if you have Tri Attack/ Self Destruct, since it gets rid of pesky ghost types, while Ice Beam covers Flying, Ground, and rarely seen running into genesect grass types, and Dragon types!

So yeah.... I TRIED AT LEAST.

are you guys sure he wont be an Uber? I think he just may become :/ Excellent typing, amazing mixed attacking stats, decent speed.

Nah, he's made quick work of from Quiver Dancing Volcarona, who is an OU resident, right? Volcarona resists mostly all of Genesect's moves and some of his moves just do some damage. The only thing that can save Genesect is if he is carrying HP Rock or Water. Might as well add that to a counter. Yes or nah?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpocky View Post
    So umm... Mixed/Physical anyone?

JUST GOING TO HIT CHU HARD.
    Genesect (Hasty/ Naive)
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    EV Spread: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Sp. Atk/HP
    Moveset:
    -X-Scissor
    -Self Destruct (ONLY USE ON FOCUS SASH!) or Tri Attack/ Hidden Power Water
    -Shadow Claw/Ice Beam
    -Rock Polish/Flame Charge

So, ummm.... how about a mixed or physical Genesect? I mean, he has potential. Rock Polish is there to boost some speed. While you could use Flame charge to boost speed while hitting. X-Scissor is mixed/physical Genesect's main stab. Self Destruct is to EXPLODE when your at 1 HP or low HP (But fire types are mostly going to switch in so you'll be at 1 hp more often.) Tri Attack is to utilize a sp. attack boost, while Hidden Power Water will prevent Steel and Fire from ruining your party. Shadow Claw is there if you have Tri Attack/ Self Destruct, since it gets rid of pesky ghost types, while Ice Beam covers Flying, Ground, and rarely seen running into genesect grass types, and Dragon types!

So yeah.... I TRIED AT LEAST.
    Focus Sash won't save it from Self Fainting moves like Selfdestruct or Explosion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragalge View Post
    We'll get Mega Flygon/Milotic when Roy gets his job back in SSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster_Lord View Post
    Welcome to the Internet, enjoy your Ridley on smash claims, now with fairy type add on for 20% extra coolness factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Flare Riolu View Post
    Focus Sash won't save it from Self Fainting moves like Selfdestruct or Explosion.
    While that set could probably better, I think they were saying that it's a last resort for when you get low on health.

Nah, he's made quick work of from Quiver Dancing Volcarona, who is an OU resident, right? Volcarona resists mostly all of Genesect's moves and some of his moves just do some damage. The only thing that can save Genesect is if he is carrying HP Rock or Water. Might as well add that to a counter. Yes or nah?
    Does seem like a solid answer, I will add it.

Also on your mixed set I would probably run a moveset like :

Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    U-turn / X scissor
    Rock Polish / Flame Charge

GodDamnZilla

I doubt he'll even settle in OU with his typing.

Thing is, this is the kind of thing that people will make sets to counter. HP Rock Genesect will probably become pretty common. Granted, it won't then be as effective against other things, but it's one to watch out for...
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast