Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 1492

Thread: What attracts you to guys/girls?

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The land of Tea and Crumpets
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigglychu View Post
    If I can add my two cents into this little argument, I don't see how being sexually attracted to one race over another is racist. Racist implies you have prejudice. Lack of sexual attraction isn't racial prejudice. If you want to argue shallow, ok, but it's no more shallow than being attracted to blondes or redheads or big boobs or musclemen or whatever. It's all physical attributes, so same thing.
    This man talks sense! It is shallow, but all physical attraction is skin deep.

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    Keyword often. Not absolutely.

    You still haven't explained how race isn't superficial.

    Anyway, let me see if I got your stance clear: it's racist only if it's some ancient belief; not if you only like one skin color? Because liking one skin color is still exclusion (or not liking one; whichever).

    Both of them are doing the exact same thing. That's why it's inconsistent. You're letting someone go off of the hook just because they don't do it for the same reasons as skinheads even though they're doing the same exact thing.

    Edit: Once again, I reiterate, the exclusion based on race is what's bad to me. Not simply preferences. I would give as much **** to a guy who said he'd only date blondes.
    A guy who only dated blondes would also only date White people for the obvious reason. I would consider him shallow not racist.

    What about for religious reasons? A Muslim dating only other Muslims? I wouldn't consider that racist.

    Also consider someone who has been surrounded by people of a certain race since childhood. Them dating that race solely is simply sticking with what they are familiar with.

    What I'm trying to say is there are far to many variables to just flag everyone who dates solely one race as racist.

    Also what do you say we move this to a debate thread?

    EDIT: I've requested a thread in Misc Debates. Just need to see if it's approved.
    Last edited by Zwitter™; 13th April 2012 at 11:33 PM.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Of course finding a race generally physically unattractive isn't racist you clods.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    LAND OF TACOS AND SOMBREROS
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adalricus View Post
    i am also insainly attracted to guys with glasses, by some reason
    ^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^
    ~

    Banner made by ~FrozenConstellation~
    Image Credits: X/X/X

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,227

    Default

    If I might say something about the current topic, I'd like to point out that physical appearance is always a factor, no matter how much you do or don't believe it to be. We all know that it's superficial and wrong, but the truth is that on some psychological level, we're all attracted to people that are more visually appealing to us, and having similar heritage is almost always a part of that. It's akin to a mental reflex - we're almost all more comfortable with people of the same race, and there's not a lot we can do about it - we can, however, recognize that it's a questionably-moral bias and try to see past it, which is part of what makes us better people.


    Moving closer to the original intent of the question, I've always found people slightly on the heavy side of a normal weight attractive - not by much, mind. I just find really skinny girls to be unattractive. I also find that girls tend to look cuter with glasses rather than without, which is a bit odd by most media's standards but a more common opinion among average people, I find. The biggest three qualities I value, though, are humor, intelligence and compassion.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you.Don't you dare look
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Saying "I don't find *insert race here* attracting" is racist. Does this mean just because you don't date, or like a person in the race ATM racist? No.
    Still, off topic. Bleh.
    What I look in a girl? Somebody nice, pretty, and somebody who does not get mad easily. Nothing too specific. But hell, I can't even drive, so this will probably change overtime.
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."
    So please, learn how to use it correctly.

    Sincerely,
    Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by A Genius View Post
    Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The land of Tea and Crumpets
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillsPokemon View Post
    What I look in a girl? Somebody nice, pretty, and somebody who does not get mad easily. Nothing too specific. But hell, I can't even drive, so this will probably change overtime.
    How does not being able to drive affect your opinion on girls? I know you'll start to see them as hazards on the road as soon as you start

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you.Don't you dare look
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mawile_626 View Post
    How does not being able to drive affect your opinion on girls? I know you'll start to see them as hazards on the road as soon as you start
    Saying that was just to mention I'm still young, so my opinions will probably change overtime.
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."
    So please, learn how to use it correctly.

    Sincerely,
    Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by A Genius View Post
    Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The land of Tea and Crumpets
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillsPokemon View Post
    Saying that was just to mention I'm still young, so my opinions will probably change overtime.
    Yeah i know it was just an odd way to put it. I'm 19 and still haven't started learning in the nearly three years I could have so that's what made me chuckle about the post

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In the Underworld
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mawile_626 View Post
    How does not being able to drive affect your opinion on girls? I know you'll start to see them as hazards on the road as soon as you start
    Women are not that bad at driving..... I've only crashed my car three- no four times.

    And speaking of cars, I like guys who are interested in sports cars.
    Smile~

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillsPokemon View Post
    Saying "I don't find *insert race here* attracting" is rascist
    Why is that racist?

    An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Chapter 29 added 03-23-2014)

    -Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the amazing banner-


  11. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Iglootium
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    ^ Just a curious question.. race wasn't that bad, but acne and weight, which are more controllable, are? <_<
    He said it was fetish, that's entirely different.



    3DS FC: 0989-1762-1315
    Friend Safari: Normal (Teddiursa, Kecleon, Chansey)
    PM me if you'd like to add me.


    Soul Silver Team:


  12. #162
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I'm sorry, but that does not make sense to me. If you can, go back and quote a point where I said that race IS superficial.
    I'm asking you how it's not. This is a relevant question because you said it wasn't shallow for someone to only date one race; yet you define shallow as superficial.

    I'm pretty sure race is a superficial characteristic...

    No, its racist if at any point the reason is because of some obscene sterotype or biased prejudice. The god example I gave is an EXAMPLE of stupid racial prejudice. I gave that one because the area I live in is prone to moronic reasons like that.
    So it's okay as long as it's for a good reason?

    I argue that since we're talking about millions of people, there isn't any good reason to exclude all of them for one thing.

    I thought my rubber ducky example took care of that, but; take for example red tennis shoes. I like them, that's why I have two pairs. I don't have anything against green tennis shoes, I just simply like the color red. Attraction to one race and only one race is not shallow, it comes down to personal prefrence. It's not your right to argue wether that is wrong or not, as everyone is entitled to their own taste in what they find attractive. It only becomes shallow or rascist if the reason behind it is unfair prejudice that has no validity.
    And that is exactly the problem. Purposely excluding (and I emphasize the aforementioned phrase because people are still getting this confused with simple preferences vs exclusion) has no validity when you're talking about millions of people.

    I don't think you can compare objects to people, because objects have no more value than their physical traits. Human beings actually do. Red shoes will forever be JUST red shoes and nothing more. Humans on the other hand, are not simply defined by their race. Shallow is looking at the surface of something when there is clearly something below it. There's nothing below red shoes.


    Quote Originally Posted by mawile_626 View Post
    What about for religious reasons? A Muslim dating only other Muslims? I wouldn't consider that racist.

    Also consider someone who has been surrounded by people of a certain race since childhood. Them dating that race solely is simply sticking with what they are familiar with.

    What I'm trying to say is there are far to many variables to just flag everyone who dates solely one race as racist.

    Also what do you say we move this to a debate thread?

    EDIT: I've requested a thread in Misc Debates. Just need to see if it's approved.
    I'll be more than glad to participate.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you.Don't you dare look
    Posts
    683

    Default

    I don't think you can compare objects to people, because objects have no more value than their physical traits. Human beings actually do. Red shoes will forever be JUST red shoes and nothing more. Humans on the other hand, are not simply defined by their race. Shallow is looking at the surface of something when there is clearly something below it. There's nothing below red shoes.
    Thank You, and perfectly said.
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."
    So please, learn how to use it correctly.

    Sincerely,
    Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by A Genius View Post
    Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    I'm asking you how it's not. This is a relevant question because you said it wasn't shallow for someone to only date one race; yet you define shallow as superficial.

    I'm pretty sure race is a superficial characteristic...


    So it's okay as long as it's for a good reason?

    I argue that since we're talking about millions of people, there isn't any good reason to exclude all of them for one thing.


    And that is exactly the problem. Purposely excluding (and I emphasize the aforementioned phrase because people are still getting this confused with simple preferences vs exclusion) has no validity when you're talking about millions of people.

    I don't think you can compare objects to people, because objects have no more value than their physical traits. Human beings actually do. Red shoes will forever be JUST red shoes and nothing more. Humans on the other hand, are not simply defined by their race. Shallow is looking at the surface of something when there is clearly something below it. There's nothing below red shoes.



    I'll be more than glad to participate.

    Yes, shallow does mean superficial, but in that context it is not relevant to the conversation that were having. All this comes down to is personal preference. And just because you prefer one thing over another, does not make you shallow.

    I'm not saying that it is okay to exclude ALL other people either, but what were talking about is what YOU are attracted to, not wether its wrong or right to exclude different races. And of course rascism is not okay if its a GOOD reason. I'm sure you can gather that's not what I'm saying at all.

    But purposely excluding people, no matter what race, IS the idea when you're talking about WHAT ATTRACTS you. It doesn't make sense for you to say that people are wrong for being attracted to one specific race if that's what they are solely attracted to. It would be like me saying youre biased for not liking squash if you like carrots, because they are both vegetables.

    I'm not trying to argue that its okay to judge people based solely on their skin, because its not. Of course people are not red shoes, all humans are much more than objects. What I'm argueing is the fact that it is not rascist to only like one race as long as you don't have any racially prejudice motives behind it. We are talking about what you are attracted to, not wether its okay to exclude people based solely on race. Everyone is entitled to their own idea of what attracts them, and I know you know that.


    mawlie_626 you have some great points. If you are able to get the thread approved, I would be happy to participate as well

    An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Chapter 29 added 03-23-2014)

    -Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the amazing banner-


  15. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fluster Cluck, NJ
    Posts
    8,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    I don't think you can compare objects to people, because objects have no more value than their physical traits. Human beings actually do. Red shoes will forever be JUST red shoes and nothing more. Humans on the other hand, are not simply defined by their race. Shallow is looking at the surface of something when there is clearly something below it. There's nothing below red shoes.
    Those red shoes could have gel padded insoles, in turn making your feet feel good after a tiring day at work. Comfort boost
    Those red shoes could be designer, making the people around you compliment you. Happy Boost
    Those red shoes could have been acquired as the result of hard work. Self Accomplishment boost
    Those red shoes could look damn good, in turn making you feel cool enough to ask out that pretty lady. Self Esteem boost

    Those red shoes could mean more to someone than being "just red shoes" .

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    亜米利&#2115
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Ah. Well, I generally go for white people than black people and I happen to be black and white. That doesn't make me racist, it just means I'm attracted more to that race than another. Why don't people really get that and brush it off as being racist?
    岩根雅明=♡

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    My mom's basement
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
    Ah. Well, I generally go for white people than black people and I happen to be black and white. That doesn't make me racist, it just means I'm attracted more to that race than another. Why don't people really get that and brush it off as being racist?
    No. Being racist is that you are against/hate another race. Being attracted to another one is different. By they way, I feel the same way about the quote.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Yes, shallow does mean superficial, but in that context it is not relevant to the conversation that were having. All this comes down to is personal preference. And just because you prefer one thing over another, does not make you shallow.
    Then your definition of shallow is useless and you've failed to define it.

    Race is a superficial trait no matter how you slice it, and if you think it's not shallow, then you need to come up with a definition that makes sense.

    What I'm argueing is the fact that it is not rascist to only like one race as long as you don't have any racially prejudice motives behind it. We are talking about what you are attracted to, not wether its okay to exclude people based solely on race. Everyone is entitled to their own idea of what attracts them, and I know you know that.
    Of course everyone is entitled to their own idea of what attracts them no matter how shallow it is.

    But the kind I am talking about was exclusion, and I'm still confused on what you're trying to convey to me. I still get the idea that you think it's only bad if there is a prejudice motivation. You leave room for people to naturally feel only attracted to one race. Thing is, I don't think that's natural at all. Yes, it's natural to like one more than another race, but only one race? I really, really doubt a person's psyche can only find one race attractive for the simple fact that there are millions upon millions of people. We don't really have the knowledge to say "Yeah, I only find these types attractive."

    And please stop using inanimate objects with set physical traits as analogies. They don't cut it. Humans don't have set characteristics like objects, so it's a false analogy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Those red shoes could have gel padded insoles, in turn making your feet feel good after a tiring day at work. Comfort boost
    Those red shoes could be designer, making the people around you compliment you. Happy Boost
    Those red shoes could have been acquired as the result of hard work. Self Accomplishment boost
    Those red shoes could look damn good, in turn making you feel cool enough to ask out that pretty lady. Self Esteem boost

    Those red shoes could mean more to someone than being "just red shoes" .
    Still a false analogy. Simply because you can pre-judge even inanimate, characteristically set objects doesn't mean it's comparable to being shallow about humans.

    Quote Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
    Ah. Well, I generally go for white people than black people and I happen to be black and white. That doesn't make me racist, it just means I'm attracted more to that race than another. Why don't people really get that and brush it off as being racist?
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime
    Edit: Once again, I reiterate, the exclusion based on race is what's bad to me. Not simply preferences. I would give as much **** to a guy who said he'd only date blondes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime
    Edit: Once again, I reiterate, the exclusion based on race is what's bad to me. Not simply preferences. I would give as much **** to a guy who said he'd only date blondes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostanime
    Edit: Once again, I reiterate, the exclusion based on race is what's bad to me. Not simply preferences. I would give as much **** to a guy who said he'd only date blondes.
    Last edited by GhostAnime; 14th April 2012 at 2:52 AM.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    亜米利&#2115
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    I meant people in general... (I can fight big letters with more big letters)
    岩根雅明=♡

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The land of Tea and Crumpets
    Posts
    234

    Default

    U mad bro?
    Okay seriously now...
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    But the kind I am talking about was exclusion, and I'm still confused on what you're trying to convey to me. I still get the idea that you think it's only bad if there is a prejudice motivation. You leave room for people to naturally feel only attracted to one race. Thing is, I don't think that's natural at all. Yes, it's natural to like one more than another race, but only one race? I really, really doubt a person's psyche can only find one race attractive for the simple fact that there are millions upon millions of people. We don't really have the knowledge to say "Yeah, I only find these types attractive."

    Okay so consider people who are asexual, that is no physical attraction to anything. I have a friend who considered himself asexual until he met one person. This one person is the only person for him and he doesn't find himself attracted to anyone else at all. So, the human psyche has the ability to define who we're attracted to right down to single person and exclude everyone else. It could most likely do the same for a race, a hair colour or any other quality that a person could be defined by. It's not the person's fault if they don't find particular aspects attractive or have no desire to date someone with a particular trait.

    And please stop using inanimate objects with set physical traits as analogies. They don't cut it. Humans don't have set characteristics like objects, so it's a false analogy.
    Replace any inanimate object with a breed of dog. Same analogy, no longer false. You're just being picky really
    I'm in bold.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the grave
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syrus View Post
    Used to be looks.

    Then it was personality.

    Now it's whether they're a genuine person or not. ¬_¬
    True that, man. Robots make terrible life companions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Those red shoes could have gel padded insoles, in turn making your feet feel good after a tiring day at work. Comfort boost
    Those red shoes could be designer, making the people around you compliment you. Happy Boost
    Those red shoes could have been acquired as the result of hard work. Self Accomplishment boost
    Those red shoes could look damn good, in turn making you feel cool enough to ask out that pretty lady. Self Esteem boost

    Those red shoes could mean more to someone than being "just red shoes" .
    It's a little different if you can get a shoe that's exactly like that in a different colour. You can't exactly find a person you like, then ask the store manager whether that person comes in brown.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

    Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.


  22. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The land of Tea and Crumpets
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    True that, man. Robots make terrible life companions.
    Not true. They never have a headache.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mawile
    Okay so consider people who are asexual, that is no physical attraction to anything. I have a friend who considered himself asexual until he met one person. This one person is the only person for him and he doesn't find himself attracted to anyone else at all. So, the human psyche has the ability to define who we're attracted to right down to single person and exclude everyone else. It could most likely do the same for a race, a hair colour or any other quality that a person could be defined by. It's not the person's fault if they don't find particular aspects attractive or have no desire to date someone with a particular trait.
    You kinda disproved your own point by telling me an asexual person actually fell in love despite his asexuality.

    Replace any inanimate object with a breed of dog. Same analogy, no longer false. You're just being picky really
    The amount of complexity and potentially overlooked things in humans can't be compared to many things. It is not the same as being shallow things with lesser complexity. You yourself just gave a scenario where someone did but turned out wrong.

    You are more able to predict the full traits of a shoe or pet to the fullest extent. Human beings? Not so much.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The land of Tea and Crumpets
    Posts
    234

    Default

    My point was that if attraction can be reduced to such a small set of things that someone could consider themselves Asexual for the first 19 years of their life then I'm pretty sure it's easy for someone to be not attracted to a particular race just because they don't find them attractive.

    Also your avatar is really unnerving. I feel like I'm upsetting Mewtwo.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    559

    Default

    GhostAnime

    Seriously, race can be an a determining factor for people when determing what they are attracted to...it is not for ME or YOU to decide if that is wrong or right. If someone posted in this thread and said 'I only like white people because all other races are disgusting', that would be racist AND shallow. wether you believe inclusion is important or not is irrelevant. what people are attracted to are based on what they believe in. The only thing that could make them racist or shallow would be if they had raciallly prejudice reasons behind them

    An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Chapter 29 added 03-23-2014)

    -Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the amazing banner-


Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •