View Poll Results: Does grammar matter on the forums?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please type correctly.

50 84.75%
  • nobody carz, we cn tok hw we wont

9 15.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gramr n de interwebz

Question gramr n de interwebz

So, I've noticed that people, when posting, tend to have... some grammatical errors. In little off-topic debates in threads I've seen, some people have argued that posting on (this, among other) forum(s) is more similar to texting, where people don't really nag too much about correct grammar, while others think that people should watch their grammar more, as if this is more of a formal discussion.

So what I'm wondering is: Do you think that people should make an effort to have better grammar here, or do you think it honestly doesn't matter?

Let me rephrase that: Does grammar matter on the forums?
    Last edited by Indigoodra; 11th April 2012 at 2:06 AM.

My Friend Safari is Light type.

Eh, it's up to the poster to decide on whether or not they want to be good with their grammar.

You can't really force things on the internet so it's all up to the poster not the people around them.

But, yah they really should considering that it makes them look much more "intelligent" and cleaner then the people that go

"OMG YOUR SUC A FRIKEN NUB LARN 2 PLAY!"
    I'm back I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SasoriSand View Post
    Eh, it's up to the poster to decide on whether or not they want to be good with their grammar.

You can't really force things on the internet so it's all up to the poster not the people around them.

But, yah they really should considering that it makes them look much more "intelligent" and cleaner then the people that go

"OMG YOUR SUC A FRIKEN NUB LARN 2 PLAY!"
    I suppose I worded that a little strongly.

Basically, what I'm asking is: Do you feel that grammar on the forum is important?

My Friend Safari is Light type.

Yes, of course I do. Improper grammar really does nothing for one's decorum, nor is it particularly pleasant to read. It's truly not that arduous to gather such minuscule effort required to compile a somewhat presentable post.

Having bad grammar is like painting a big red text on you saying: "I is trollz yo".

And I don't wanna troll. That often.

Quote Originally Posted by SGG View Post
    You're not bringing people with poor grammar to concentration camps and gassing them, are you?

Spoiler:- Misc. Pokemon things:

I can't be assed to read some sl*tty post that misspells "you".

One or two spelling errors or even a missing word don't bother me, but if I have to reread sentences several times to understand what you were saying, there's a problem.

I already have a thread put up covering bad grammar, this really isn't much of a different post. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...uot-discussion

if your post is unreadable nobody will read it, simple as that.

As a representative of the Grammar Nazi party, my opinion is that I hate it when people don't put effort into making their posts presentable. Yes, it's acceptable to use a bit of poor grammar if the situation calls for it (mostly for ironic purposes). Yes, taking English as a second language is a bit of an excuse. But in all other cases, there's really no reason we shouldn't use proper grammar. Poor grammar gives the poster a semblance of immaturity and lack of intelligence, damaging their credibility and making it seem like their opinions shouldn't be trusted because they come from someone who doesn't even have the decency to make his or her posts presentable.

That's just how I see it though. I've mostly become desensitized to poor grammar; now, I never even go into a prolonged twitching fit every time I see a dangling participle.

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    As a representative of the Grammar Nazi party, my opinion is that I hate it when people don't put effort into making their posts presentable.
    You're not bringing people with poor grammar to concentration camps and gassing them, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by SGG View Post
    Don't spread rumors. Even if they are true.

I hate people who can't type for their life, but I won't bother people who make few mistakes in their typing. That type of thing just doesn't matter to me, and all it makes me think of people who do correct small mistakes such as "alot" and change it to "a lot" is that they need to get out more.

As a representative of the Grammar Nazi party
    I stopped reading there and laughed my donkey off.
    Last edited by KingWiggins; 11th April 2012 at 3:40 AM.
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."
    So please, learn how to use it correctly.

Sincerely,
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by A Genius View Post
    Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

I hate it when people use improper spelling and grammer. I can understand spelling errors when you actually don't know how it's spelled and you do your best. (happens to me) It's just the people that put no effort into their posts that irk me.

Credit to FrozenConstellation

Quote Originally Posted by WillsPokemon View Post
    I stopped reading there and laughed my donkey off.
    To which donkey do you refer

I think textspeak/leetspeak is a great way to identify little kids who are new to the Internet.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

I don't know, but it seems like some form of animal cruelty.

The jackass, you jackass.
    SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!?!??
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."

Sincerely,
    Everyone

Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

Quote Originally Posted by WillsPokemon View Post
    The jackass, you jackass.
    SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!?!??
    no but i see what u did ther

Sometimes I wonder what these people think. Do they realize no one can understand what their posting? Do they think everyone types like that?
    No sig. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalzapdos View Post
    Sometimes I wonder what these people think. Do they realize no one can understand what their posting? Do they think everyone types like that?
    It's basically how children my age type, and usually why I wish I was older...I hate being the 'brat generation' as my Dad calls it.

Sincerely,
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by crystalzapdos View Post
    Do they realize no one can understand what their posting?
    Oh the irony

Oh the irony
    Oh, how the forum loves you, Gela. xD

Sincerely,
    Everyone

I think grammar always matters, no matter what the situation is. The more you practice it, the better that you'll be at it when you decide that you REALLY need good grammar (such as on school papers or when you're trying to sound extremely formal). Also, it just makes you look like a more intelligent person if you always pay attention to your grammar, even if you don't need to.

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | he's hiding something. she just doesn't know it. |
    | on hiatus|

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving. |
    | chapter 1 released |

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpearl876 View Post
    I think grammar always matters, no matter what the situation is. The more you practice it, the better that you'll be at it when you decide that you REALLY need good grammar (such as on school papers or when you're trying to sound extremely formal). Also, it just makes you look like a more intelligent person if you always pay attention to your grammar, even if you don't need to.
    As much as I love writings and typing that is easily read, I don't think you always have to type/text correctly. Texting slangs/whatever were made to make texting easier, but heck, people just abuse it now. Usually when I text my friends I honestly don't give two thirds of a shizz (I'm in Infraction trouble, deal with it) if my friends text correctly or not. It only gets on my nerves when they text like a complete dumbdonkey (infraction trouble still). Anyways, considering I used misspelled words in this paragraph, I guess I can't say to much, eh?

Sincerely,
    Everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast