Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who thinks GBA Pokemon games are harder than others.

i kept getting lost in the hoenn region there was a crossroads somewhere and I ended up walking in circles and confusedtthat was hard

Difficulty went like this for me

RBY-Holy **** what the **** is a pokemon (plays game for 2 hours) this is awesome! Hardest to train period

RSE-Sweet Milotic <3 (Everything changed for me when I got this!) Second hardest

GSC-Sweet more pokes! **** yea! (Gets to Red and whomp his his high leveled pokes) Third hardest but you get to keep fighting Red

DPPt-Infernape FTFW! (Confusing until I got the hang out of) Fourth hardest but it was slightly easy

FRLG-By far the weakest installments if you ask my opinion

BW-Picked up Black a few months ago and started getting back into pokemon and competitive battling again

I used to own a copy of SS but my friend lost it a while ago :/

My first playthrough for gen 3 took me a while becaus I'm pretty sure I took a break from pokemon for another game (I think the Megaman Battle Network series)

Oh god yes. third Gen was by far the hardest EVER.

srsly having no SEs againstWallace while having all your majorly underlevelled pokemon be weak to all his moves and winning is nigh-impossible (but I did it! (after like 50 or so tries)).

I found my Emerald much more difficult to beat than my Platinum. In Emerald I was looking at stats and move sets, while in Platinum I only had two or three Pokemon that I actually used.

I found RSE quite difficult because it's hard to train for the Elite Four. The first couple of times I played those games I didn't think to catch Rayquazza or the legendary trio.

There's not much you can do to train for the Elite Four in FRLG either but I'm much more knowledgeable on those ones.

Visit my Youtube Channel

Pokemon Y: Name: Yoda FC: 0001-3341-1988

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVader
    You may dispense with the pleasantries Commander; I am here to put you back on schedule.

People thought Witney's Miltank was the hardest Pokemon in the entire series. I completely disagree.

The third gen is the hardest gen I've ever faced. R/S/E had the hardest gym leaders. They also had a moderately difficult Elite 4. And Drake... don't get me started on him.

So yeah, the GBA games are indeed harder. HG/SS was a piece of cake until Red.

I never tried 4th or 5th gen pokémon games (don't have the right consoles for them), but I think that 1st 3 gens were fairly similar in terms of difficulty. I remember the 1st gen team rocket building in Saffron City with all the rocket guys, which was a total maze with all the teleporting panels. I got stuck in there so long. Or the cave with Articuno in it (forgot the name), which was also a true maze where you needed strength to push all the rocks and change the water flow. In terms of being mazes 1st gen was brutal. 2nd gen was a bit better, although the caves with Lugia in it where still a maze (though you didn't need to go there to reach E40. And 2nd gen also had those dreaded puzzles for the unown. 3rd gen didn't really have any mazes as far as I recall, everything was quite straigthforward. Finding the Regi's without looking up a help site took some clever observing though, and the Feebas mechanic is still the most sadistic thing ever put in a pokémon game. The E4 was quite easy for me because you have Kyogre there and Kyogre just blasts them away without any training. It's Ice beam obliterates Drake whilst its Hydro Pump obliterated Steven. I guess if you have Ruby that could be slightly harder, although I think that Groudon can also destroy Stevens steel types with ease. Just EQ and Fire Blast spam. In Emerald Wallace can be a pain, his Milotic keeps on recovering and his Double Team Ludicolo can be really annoying. My Sceptile had some trouble against Wallace due to the good Sp.Def stats of his pokémon. Gyarados, Milotic, Ludicolo, Tentacruel, a lot of good Sp.Def stats there to take Leaf Blade, and loads of them know Ice Beam.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 16th September 2012 at 4:00 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

I personallly dont think there is any varying degree in difficulty across the games

Spoiler:- Friend Code(s)/Trade Shop/Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by KingWiggins View Post
    I think it actually depends which gen. you play first which determines this.. for example, if you play gen. 4 before 3, when you do play 3, there are less items, less moves, attacks and special attacks are based on type, etc.
    On the other hand, if you played 1 and 2 first, you have more moves, items, pokemon, and natures.
    Depends how you look on it, really.
    Precisely which is why you have people saying they were harder than the 4/5th gen but easier then the 1/2nd gen. (then again is wasn't until the 4th gen came in which you see decent bug/fighting moves which was a pain for heracross).

I think 2nd gen was the hardest, since it extended a long way and if you wanted to switch pokes after the e4, it would take a loooooooong time to grind your way up their.

Dammit, I've been practically dead. Too busy fighting demons and shadows.......* points evoker at head*....... back to work...* fires*

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

The hardest pokemon game is Yellow, no contest. The interface was so much clunkier than the GBA games, you couldn't see how much damage your moves did, Mt Moon is a ***** the first time through and so are the Rocket HQs, the battles were alot harder, and there is soooo much grinding. Beating Brock with a pikachu definitely isn't easy. And I'll never forget that empty feeling I would get after I had been playing for hours without saving and dropped my Gameboy Color and the game would freeze or the batteries would fall out. :'( Still one of the best games ever though.
    Last edited by OldManJenkins; 4th October 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Gen 3 was much harder than Gen 5 and Gen 4, but waaaaaaaaaaay easier than Gen 1 and Gen 2. Mystery Dungeon was the hardest though.
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you better run, better run...

If you want to see my Event Pokemon, PM me

If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Well, I had a tough time with Ruby because I was young when I played it. If I played it now, I probably wouldn't have as hard of time.

"i know how to use a sword!" - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

Nope th hardest Pokemon game will always be Yellow. But I've been playing since gen 1 so......
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

I actually played Emerald and beaten it on 8hrs and 14 mins this time, last time was 9 hours....I'm getting lesser and lesser each time I restart it, nya~

I would have to say that I thought sapphire was harder than blue (says the man who is stuck in mewtwo's cave on blue, but has completed sapphire) I found the battles and training a lot more of a challenge than in the previous games, I also found gen 4 pretty easy, although it could just be I had gotten better at the games, and I'm currently doing quite well in black (only marginally harder than platinum imo)
        Spoiler:- games I want:

Click the banner to check out my semi-regularly updated chiptune filled soundcloud.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post
    This. The main reason I beleive games are easier for me now is I understand the mechanics. Before in the old GBA games I would use tackle on everything because I thought it was good. I didn't understand STAB boosts and I would just use my most powerful move on every pokemon I faced even if it resisted it. I thought every move that didn't do damage was a waste so most of my mon's had 3 moves of the same type and one garbage one xD. This is why I htink the GBA games were harder at least for me personally.
    Exactly, I remember my Dragonite having Surf. I taught everything Surf back then...

My FC (Y): 3995-6945-2972 (Fairy) ||Banner Credit to Sworn Metalhead!
    Trainer's Card ||
    http://9gag.com/chrysaries || Pokememes/Memebase||Battle FC: 3182 4147 0411
    Quote Originally Posted by 0LdSk00lMew View Post
    I'm not going to lie you have the best stuff around xD

RSE were a bit harder, yes.

I definitely found Generations 4 and 5 to be the hardest. My reasoning is that those were the first gens that enemy movesets seemed genuinely thought out. Gens 1-3 were easy in that when you fight a dark gym leader/E4 member you use your fighter and it's cake. In gens 4 and 5 there was a better chance the enemy would have a psychic move or two on their dark Pokemon so that you'd have to think and plan a little bit more. The gen 4 and 5 E4 was awesome because every member was like this. You could no longer slap ice beam on your water starter and expect to sweep the dragon guy.

~~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123