Page 256 of 340 FirstFirst ... 156206246252253254255256257258259260266306 ... LastLast
Results 6,376 to 6,400 of 8476

Thread: Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I meant what the name itself meant, not your opinions on TPCi's capabilities on naming characters. You wouldn't be saying that if you never knew of the JPN names.
    What makes you say that? If anything, knowing the Japanese name gives insight into why they named him Corless.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    What makes you say that? If anything, knowing the Japanese name gives insight into why they named him Corless.
    I mean, liking the name on its own without the basis being your prior knowledge of the Japanese names mostly.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    I don't know, how does a Marlon look?
    Like this:

I hear Marlon, I think Brando. *shrugs*

It's not a horrible name...it's just not a 'young, cool, tanned big-bro type fisherman dude' name. At least not to me. But ah well. I still love his character design, so I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. He seems like a great character.
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

Hot damn. I never realized the humongous amount of discontent localized names made.

Marlon is fine. Corless is fine. There's nothing wrong with either of them.

The future surrounds us.

Let us begin.

Quote Originally Posted by SasakiThePikachu View Post

It's not a horrible name...it's just not a 'young, cool, tanned big-bro type fisherman dude' name. At least not to me. But ah well. I still love his character design, so I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. He seems like a great character.
    When you think about it, old people with old sound names had those exact name when they were young.

Hot damn. I never realized the humongous amount of discontent localized names made.
    When you get use to a character's name from one version and a different name is given to another version that's being released in your country, it can take some time to get use to. Some people take the change harder than other's, hence, the discontent. This wasn't (much of) an issue back before Generation four/five.
    Last edited by matt0044; 28th June 2012 at 5:39 PM.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    Marlon is fine. Corless is fine. There's nothing wrong with either of them.
    Yes, there is.

When you think about it, old people with old sound names had those exact name when they were young.
    But we do not happen to know them when they are young.

Which means the names we have right now are gonna sound old when we're old, and our name species will soon die out. Then the cycle repeats :S

Whatever happens, Akuroma is still the coolest person in the games so far. For me at least.
    3DS Friend Code: 0404 - 7523 - 0951 - Feel free to add me

International hype anthem of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnzqWlm59A

X Team (Dale): Kangaskhan, Weavile, Starmie, Garchomp, Chansey, Gliscor
    Y Team (new!; Lucina): Combusken, Aerodactyl, Frogadier, Gloom, Whirlipede, lol
    Shinies: Abomasnow, Floette, Zubat, Murkrow, Qwilfish, Relicanth, Gyarados, Illumise

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Yes, there is.
    Mind telling me then what the objective faults with either of those names are?

The future surrounds us.

Let us begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Yes, there is.
    No, you simply don't like the names.

Unless the name is essentially insulting, there can never be a problem with a name, it's a name. It's simply a matter of personal like and dislike, of which is an opinion and as such, holds no grounds in determining if there is "something wrong" with a name.

How can there even be "something wrong" with a name...I mean come on.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    No, you simply don't like the names.

Unless the name is essentially insulting, there can never be a problem with a name, it's a name. It's simply a matter of personal like and dislike, of which is an opinion and as such, holds no grounds in determining if there is "something wrong" with a name.

How can there even be "something wrong" with a name...I mean come on.
    There is nothing wrong with the name Marlon, but, oh, come on, it doesn't really suit our 8th gym leader who is a diver with an incredibly dark tan on only half of his body, who is teenage, and one of those "big-bro" kind of people. When I hear Marlon, I think of a 60-year old guy wearing a tux.
    I'm awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster5394 View Post
    When I hear Marlon, I think of a 60-year old guy wearing a tux.
    Who know? Maybe that 60 year old man was once a surfing dude in his day. Plus, Marlon IS named after a fish.

There is nothing wrong with the name Marlon, but, oh, come on, it doesn't really suit our 8th gym leader who is a diver with an incredibly dark tan on only half of his body, who is teenage, and one of those "big-bro" kind of people. When I hear Marlon, I think of a 60-year old guy wearing a tux.
    He isn't a "big bro" at all
    He doesn't even bother helping you with plasma.

Also old people were young once!

Who know? Maybe that 60 year old man was once a surfing dude in his day. Plus, Marlon IS named after a fish.
    Yea, I'm sure they actually had surfing in the late 1940's.
    I'm awesome

You mean 1950s, right? And I meant that old people had those "old-sounding names" when they were kids.

For centuries surfing was a central part of ancient Polynesian culture. Surfing might have been first observed by Europeans at Tahiti in 1767 by Samuel Wallis and the crew members of the Dolphin who were the first Europeans to visit the island in June 1767. Another candidate is the botanist Joseph Banks[1] being part of the First voyage of James Cook on the HMS Endeavour, who arrived on 10 April 1769 on Tahiti. Lieutenant James King was the first one who wrote about the art of surfing on Hawaii when completing the journals of Captain James Cook upon Cook's death in 1779.
    yes, quite

...Praying that this is a joke.

And yes it may not sound like a perfect fit to you, but that does not mean there's anything wrong with the name itself.

The future surrounds us.

Let us begin.

Marlon is Shizui's English name? Oh my God. It's genuinely terrible. I was hoping that he would have a cooler-sounding name like Finn. Ugh. I'm so depressed, but at least I still have Roxie. I've grown to like that name.

First off, Marlon is more mid twenty. And seriously, stop judging by names. It´s just a name to call someone. You guys are making such a big deal out of this..

Also, I would love to know what exactly a Roxanne would be, or a Misty, an Erika, a Norman, a Whitney.. how about Clair? Candice, Gardenia, Lenora.. seriously. What stereotype fits their name then?
    I claimed Machoke in the Official Claim a Pokémon thread.
    And I unofficially claim Shizui/Marlon and Brawly.

Let the people dislike the name. No one is obligated to like everything in the franchise.
    I am getting used to Marlon, even though the name does not fit him.

Corless is just bad.

1) Marlon reminds me of Malon. Cute.

2) What's this about the Elite 4 being downloadable content over at the Discovery forum?

3) I'm sad that Wallace doesn't have a Lumineon. It suits him perfectly.

Please don't whine on English names, the french ones are the ugliest ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by sSerenity View Post
    Please don't whine on English names, the french ones are the ugliest ever seen
    I've just seen "Amana"... which, in fact, is even worse a choice than Marlon.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

"Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

What are they then? Strykna for Roxie and Amana for Merlon? Sound okay to me. Then again, they all look fine to me.
    I claimed Machoke in the Official Claim a Pokémon thread.
    And I unofficially claim Shizui/Marlon and Brawly.

Marlon's fine to me. Corless is just terrible to me though, so obvious and yet nonsensical at the same time. Achroma had the same meaning and would have been fine for English.
    Breeder of many Treeckos, master of none.

Guys, lets shut up about Marlon. The real bad naming here is Corless. What f****** parent would name there kid Corless?
    I'm awesome

Page 256 of 340 FirstFirst ... 156206246252253254255256257258259260266306 ... LastLast