Page 332 of 340 FirstFirst ... 232282322328329330331332333334335336 ... LastLast
Results 8,276 to 8,300 of 8476

Thread: Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Perhaps he figured that the player character was strong enough to be able to beat Team Plasma and thought his help would be unnecessary.

It's the only logical explanation I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    He must be at least a considerably ruthless person to know Team Plasma goes around stealing Pokémon and is about to freeze the whole region and still not be bothered by them.
    Actually, the whole point was that Marlon -didn't- know that Team Plasma did those things. Marlon had never witnessed them doing so, and Humilau City is fairly detached from the rest of Unova (with mountains to the west and Undella to south, neither of which are exactly hubs of people), especially compared to where Team Plasma was active. All he has to go on is what Hugh had told him. He even implies this in his dialogue at Humilau City:

Sup yo! What's this Team Plasma you're talking about do?
    As such, he didn't have much of a way of knowing whether or not Team Plasma was good or evil, and therefore had no reason to be working against them. He's still big-hearted in that he helps you by lowering the boarding plank to the Plasma Frigate to help you accomplish your own goal, but he leaves right after because it isn't his place to do more. Again, I'm going to point you to what he actually says in-game at Humilau City:

Nope! When the ocean's your home, you don't worry about things like that. 'Cause the ocean accepts all rivers! So you think Team Plasma's bad, then?
    as well as at Route 21:

Hey, friends! Team Plasma's not botherin' me. They could be up to no good for reals, and… It's not my style to go around decidin' Team Plasma's bad without thinkin' 'bout it just 'cause everyone says so! But, eh, you're havin' trouble, so I've got to help out! That's what I want to do!

Listen, 'K. Believe in somethin'! Searchin' for stolen Pokémon is fine! Keepin' Unova from bein' iced over's fine too! It's all good. But think 'bout why you're doin' that. The strength of your beliefs is what gives you and your Pokémon power! I made some noise, so some people came out! Hey, be careful, 'K!
    Suggesting that Marlon is "ruthless" because he didn't help you out more than he did is nothing more than a complete misunderstanding of his character.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Actually, the whole point was that Marlon -didn't- know that Team Plasma did those things. Marlon had never witnessed them doing so, and Humilau City is fairly detached from the rest of Unova (with mountains to the west and Undella to south, neither of which are exactly hubs of people), especially compared to where Team Plasma was active. All he has to go on is what Hugh had told him.
    Well if he's not amoral, he's certainly very uninformed and irresponsible. As a gym leader, he should be more aware of the goings on throughout the region and more in touch with other gym leaders and authority figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Well if he's not amoral, he's certainly very uninformed and irresponsible. As a gym leader, he should be more aware of the goings on throughout the region and more in touch with other gym leaders and authority figures.
    Again, Humilau City is fairly detached from the rest of Unova. The north and east are nothing but ocean, the west has a rockier area leading up to a big ol' Chasm full of nothing, and to the south is a bay leading to another resortey city with nothing going on there, not even a Gym. Humilau City is presented as being a paradise away from the srs business that is the rest of Unova, and Marlon's ignorance of Team Plasma makes perfect sense in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Again, Humilau City is fairly detached from the rest of Unova. The north and east are nothing but ocean, the west has a rockier area leading up to a big ol' Chasm full of nothing, and to the south is a bay leading to another resortey city with nothing going on there, not even a Gym. Humilau City is presented as being a paradise away from the srs business that is the rest of Unova, and Marlon's ignorance of Team Plasma makes perfect sense in that context.
    That's no excuse. The "srs business" is their business, too, just because they're far away from it doesn't mean they can ignore it.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

That's no excuse. The "srs business" is their business, too, just because they're far away from it doesn't mean they can ignore it.
    It's a fairly realistic opinion to hold.

You'd probably be a lot more concerned with the clusterf*ck that is Africa if you lived there.

Ah he's just a Gym Leader, not the town mayor. He could be worse, like a certain Gym Leader who's an evil mastermind bent on world domination.

Anyone saying Red is a good trainer please explain to me how he can have a Jolteon get OHKO'ed by a Thunderbolt. From a Rhyhorn.

Proud owner of an English Unnerve Mewtwo.

I'm currently in Sinnoh and Johto-Kanto at the moment. If you want to do a trade, notify me when as I won't be online in Kalos (Gen VI).

I couldn't disagree more. Though Marlon didn't know what was going on, he wasn't quick to pass judgement, which I felt was a very noble and respectable thing to do. So he just stood out of it and asked you if they were bad people. It fits his carefree demeanor. It doesn't make him irresponsible @ all.

I disagree with Bolt as well. It is how he was raised and how he looks at the world. Not everyone has the same morals and ideals.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post
    I disagree with Bolt as well. It is how he was raised and how he looks at the world. Not everyone has the same morals and ideals.
    Right. And for him to jump into a fight/situation and pick sides w/o knowing the situation, that's more irresponsible than simply not knowing and not doing anything because of that

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Right. And for him to jump into a fight/situation and pick sides w/o knowing the situation, that's more irresponsible than simply not knowing and not doing anything because of that
    That's just it, though. He should know about the situation to begin with. I have no problem with the fact that he doesn't want to pick sides, I get that, but that he's so incredibly uninformed, makes him look incredibly dense and lazy.

Yeah, I'd rather not know stuff than jump into something I have no idea about.
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

That's just it, though. He should know about the situation to begin with. I have no problem with the fact that he doesn't want to pick sides, I get that, but that he's so incredibly uninformed, makes him look incredibly dense and lazy.
    Maybe he just doesn't get out much. Partially with what @a person said, "...Humilau City is fairly detached from the rest of Unova." It really is.

Maybe the rest of the Unova League didn't think it mattered if he knew. I think they have a set group of Gym Leaders that handle that crap kind of like Unova League Admins.

In my opinion, overall, I think it has nothing to do w/ Marlon being dense/lazy/irresponsible. All I know is that he did the right thing by staying out of it.

Heck are the Elite Four jerks too? They did nothing to stop plasma this time, and they had their homes pierced by them the last time they clashed.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlygon08 View Post
    Heck are the Elite Four jerks too? They did nothing to stop plasma this time, and they had their homes pierced by them the last time they clashed.
    You know, actually thinking about it, outside of Lorelei I don't think any of the Elite Four have assisted in stopping the local villain team. Usually it's the Champions that do all of the dirty work when the situation escalates.

You honestly have to wonder what all of them are doing when the world's going to hell around them.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 13th November 2012 at 6:40 AM.

Maybe he just doesn't get out much. Partially with what @a person said, "...Humilau City is fairly detached from the rest of Unova." It really is.

Maybe the rest of the Unova League didn't think it mattered if he knew. I think they have a set group of Gym Leaders that handle that crap kind of like Unova League Admins.

In my opinion, overall, I think it has nothing to do w/ Marlon being dense/lazy/irresponsible. All I know is that he did the right thing by staying out of it.
    I agree, because it didn't involve him. Hugh did the right thing defeating Team Plasma with the character's help.

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Apart from Flint(and apparently Lorelei), the Elite 4 never do anything apart from battling you. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

That's one of the confusing things that I don't understand about Gamefreak. With every new generation, we get gym leaders and champions with actual personalities outside of their actual gym leader roles. However, the Elite 4 are just 4 people that appear when the time is right to battle you and lose. They barely have any role or impact on the game besides being an obstacle in front of the champion.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    That's one of the confusing things that I don't understand about Gamefreak. With every new generation, we get gym leaders and champions with actual personalities outside of their actual gym leader roles. However, the Elite 4 are just 4 people that appear when the time is right to battle you and lose. They barely have any role or impact on the game besides being an obstacle in front of the champion.
    I would love to see them more throughout the story. But in order to do that I think they would have to expand and lengthen the story to fit everyone in there and give them a role. Which I wouldn't mind of course.

Here's what it would have looked like if I'd made the leaders/E4/champion and chosen their pokemon (Note: all levels for these pokemon are based on my adventure through the first time). Not entirely accurate but just roll with it. I realise the towns may not entirely fit with the types of pokemon used, but again, just go with it.

Gym 1 - Aspertia City: Kirk
    Fighting Type
    Muscle Badge

Riolu Lv 10
    Scraggy Lv 12

Kirk was one of the original founders of Aspertia City in his youth and has now lived to a ripe old age. He preferred to do a lot of the manual labour and problem solving in his life without the help of pokemon due to his stubbornness for the majority of his youth but has since opened his mind and they have become a part of his everyday life in helping train the youngsters at his martial arts-style gym.

Gym 2 - Virbank City: Regulus
    Normal Type
    Rural Badge

Audino Lv 15
    Cinccino Lv 17

Regulus is an absolute shop-a-holic and so he co-designed the idea for Join Avenue and revolutionised modern shopping convenience for Pokemon lovers by combining the two and has helped set up Join Avenues all across the world. His duties as Gym Leader and Join Avenue founder mean it is difficult for him to continue his passion of shopping.

Gym 3 - Castelia City: Alice
    Ice Type
    Arctic Badge

Cubchoo Lv 21
    Glaceon Lv 22
    Cryogonal Lv 24

Creator of Castelia's world famous CasteliaCones, Alice is also the one of the youngest Gym Leaders in Pokemon League history. After the creation of her legendary CasteliaCones, she decided to take on a part-time role of making frosty sweets with her world-renowned parents from Hoenn (their most famous delicacy to date is Hoenn's Lava Cookie) in addition to her Gym Leader duties. Despite her youth she is able to maintain her cool in battle and her love of pokemon is only rivalled by her love of making sweets.

Gym 4 - Nimbasa City: Rosie
    Grass Type
    Bloom Badge

Lilligant Lv 30
    Roselia Lv 29
    Sawsbuck Lv 32 (I'm aware it doesn't evolve until Lv 34)

Unova realised a year or so after the events of B/W how much electrical energy and resources Nimbasa City was using to power it's various attractions and the threat of removing such attractions was very real. Rosie spearheaded the campaign to introduce more environmentally friendly measures across the city such as greenhouses and solar panels in order to save the amusement park she had loved since she was a child. Elesa, the former Gym Leader, had moved her supermodel tour to another region and so the city asked Rosie to step up in her place after her actions earned the respect of all of Unova.

Gym 5 - Driftveil City: Cliff
    Ground Type
    Terra Badge

Gligar - Lv 33
    Vibrava - Lv 35
    Excadrill - Lv 36

After a serious mining accident, Gym Leader Clay decided it was time to call it quits and had made more than enough money from his mining business to settle into an easy retirement. He handed over the gym, his mining business and his most prized pokemon (Excadrill) to his younger, but still experienced brother Cliff. Cliff in his childhood had watched his older brother Clay revolutionise the mining industry and vowed to become just as good, if not better, than Clay.

Gym 6 - Mistralton City: Charlene
    Electric Type
    Lightning Badge

Emolga Lv 37
    Electabuzz Lv 38
    Ampharos Lv 39
    Galvantula Lv 41

An agreement between Nimbasa City and Mistralton City meant that Mistralton Air Service would be able to help deliver the environmentally friendly materials for Nimbasa City who, in return would be able to use their extensive technology to further enhance the undeveloped Mistralton City. Charlene was the most experienced electrician in all of Unova and she helped incorporate a lot of that technology into the development of Mistralton City. Due to the influx of technology however, Gym Leader Skyla felt the negative effect it would have on her Air Service, and so she left to go set up somewhere else, but entrusted her close friend Charlene with whom she had a few tough battles with before, with the continued running of the Gym.

Gym 7 - Opelucid City: Daria
    Dark Type
    Mystery Badge

Absol Lv 46
    Mandibuzz Lv 47
    Drapion Lv 47
    Zoroark Lv 49

During his last days as Gym Leader, Drayden was walking through Village Bridge, still incapable of finding the next protege to take over his role of Gym Leader. He could hear some sombre and sorrowful music somewhere around him, and so he looked over the edge of the bridge and crouched in a corner with a saxophone, surrounded by a few pokemon such as Zorua and Absol listening intently, was a dark-haired teenage girl. He slowly made his way down to her and politely introduced himself to her and the pokemon. She introduced herself as Daria as he acknowledged her talent with music. She claimed it was how she communicated with pokemon, as they were the only real friends she had. Drayden pointed out the trust those pokemon had for her and noted how important such a thing was. Before long, she invited him to battle (without knowing he was a Gym Leader). Drayden was incredibly impressed and surprised with how she held her own and offered to help train her pokemon.

Gym 8 - Humilau City: Archie
    Rock Type
    Ruin Badge

Aggron Lv 50
    Crustle Lv 48
    Archeops Lv 50
    Gigalith Lv 51

Archie is an experienced archaelogist from the Sinnoh region, taking after Cynthia, and had moved to the Unova region to extensively study the Giant Chasm. As such he was on an extended stay in nearby Humilau City, and extended it further after taking a shine to the resort city. The news came out one day that a pokemon Gym was going to be situated in Humilau City! However, a Gym Leader had not yet been decided but an upcoming Humilau Pokemon Tournament would. Archie figured he could use a break from his research and signed up, having always thought himself rather handy at battling, despite the massive disadvantage of the locals using Water type pokemon and he using his trusty Rock pokemon. Nonetheless, he made it to the final round and in an incredibly close match with local deepsea diver Marlon, took the prize, but still continues with his research as well.

Elite Four #1: Marlon
    Water Type

Wailord Lv 56
    Starmie Lv 55
    Lapras Lv 58
    Jellicent Lv 56
    Carracosta Lv 59

His loss at the Humilau Pokemon Tournament didn't faze Marlon in the slightest. Instead as he was just about to go on another dive, Marlon was approached by one of the Pokemon League representatives who'd been there to witness the tournament. He identified Marlon as someone with a lot of potential, despite little experience. The representative asked him if he'd accompany him to the Pokemon League itself, to which Marlon in his cool-as-cucumber attitude, agreed. The representative asked if he wouldn't mind challenging each of the Elite Four members there. No need for badges, just an evaluation he had said. Marlon's incredibly cool, but keen adaptability kept him completely at ease against the three Elite Four members. Neither side gained an advantage, and when Marlon questioned the lack of a fourth Elite Four Member, the representative extended him an invitation to become the final Elite Four member! Dude! Marlon was concerned with the responsibilites of being an Elite Four member as they tried to negotiate on his freedoms, and afterwards accepted!

Elite Four #2: Colress
    Steel Type

Magnezone Lv 56
    Escavalier Lv 55
    Metagross Lv 58
    Probopass Lv 56
    Klinklang Lv 59

Dun, dun DUUUUUNNNN!!!! Colress, head of Neo Team Plasma is an Elite Four member?!? A scientist dedicated to his research and already an Elite Four member was persuaded by close acquaintance Ghetsis to become head of Team Plasma. Colress' complete focus on his research meant he couldn't pass up an opportunity to recognise the potential in pokemon. Ghetsis knew that being an Elite Four member meant Colress was the strongest person he could get on his side to help rule Unova. Good thing he didn't otherwise Colress would have had a lot to explain to the Pokemon League when they inevitably found out. It's still a secret to this day that Colress was the head of the currently disbanded Team Plasma.

Elite Four #3: Fletcher
    Fire Type

Arcanine Lv 56
    Camerupt Lv 55
    Chandelure Lv 58
    Darmanitan Lv 56
    Volcarona Lv 59

Grandfather of Gym Leader Flannery, Fletcher was already a member of the Hoenn Elite Four before heading into retirement. He told his family it was for the best and decided to move to Unova for some quiet life. But in truth, shortly after his retirement he felt a passion to explore and seek thrills, but in his age, his family wouldn't approve. A while after settling into Unova, Fletcher decided to see if he was still able to battle like he used to. He took the Pokemon League challenge and acquired eight Gym Badges in no time. His reputation preceded him as before he took on the Pokemon League challenged former Champion Alder. Fletcher dominated the battle, and his heated passion for battling skyrocketed, and Alder recommended him for a position on the current Elite Four due to the leave of Psychic user Caitlin, who would be tending to her battle facility full-time. Unfotunately, before accepting he didn't factor in Flannery's participation in the PWT....

Elite Four #4: Ariel
    Flying Type

Skarmory Lv 56
    Swanna Lv 55
    Altaria Lv 58
    Gliscor Lv 56
    Braviary Lv 59

Ariel is renowned as world-record breaker in most extreme sports such as skydiving and rock climbing and always tries to find the limit in challenging herself. She is a trained stunt pilot, and her Flying type pokemon are almost always seen with her when performing stunt shows and demonstrations. She is a very kind Trainer, and is always willing to give tips, not just in extreme sports but also in pokemon battles and raising pokemon. Due to her stunt training and Flying type speciality her pokemon are incredibly strong in air combat.

Champion: Iris
    All-round

Eelektross Lv 58
    Espeon Lv 59
    Beartic Lv 57
    Flygon Lv 60
    Seismitoad Lv 59
    Hydriegon Lv 62

Not much different here than in the standard game.

Please tell me what you think. It's not perfect, but nothing ever is
    Last edited by GildedScizor; 17th November 2012 at 8:36 PM.

All credit to SM of Daedric Design for this awesome banner!

Y Team: Talonflame, Roserade, Aegislash, Goodra, Blaziken, Greninja
    3DS Friend Code: 1160 - 9940 - 3351
    Rock Type Friend Safari: Nosepass, Onix and Barbaracle.
    I has officially claimed

i would have had falkners dad be the flying type elite 4 member because hes been mentioned by falkner but never been seen. i got a few ideas for gym leaders and elite 4 members for a future generation. but i dont wanna get off topic so, i like your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by GildedScizor View Post
    Champion: Iris
    All-round

Eelektross Lv 58
    Espeon Lv 59
    Beartic Lv 57
    Flygon Lv 60
    Seismitoad Lv 59
    Hydriegon Lv 62
    Her team should be more Dragon/Dragon-looking oriented :/

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    i would have had falkners dad be the flying type elite 4 member because hes been mentioned by falkner but never been seen. i got a few ideas for gym leaders and elite 4 members for a future generation. but i dont wanna get off topic so, i like your ideas.
    I thought Falkner's dad passed, since he mentions in some of his diologue, that his dad is watching and supporting from above.

I thought Falkner's dad passed, since he mentions in some of his diologue, that his dad is watching and supporting from above.
    if thats true maybe hes flying above him

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    That did cross my mind along with a few other possible connections, but I figured there were enough leaders/E4 members with relationships to strong foreign trainers. Plus at least one of the Elite Four should be a girl.

Her team should be more Dragon/Dragon-looking oriented :/
    Yeah, but I was never a fan of the Dragon orientation. And I wanted to mix it up from what it's like today.

All credit to SM of Daedric Design for this awesome banner!

Y Team: Talonflame, Roserade, Aegislash, Goodra, Blaziken, Greninja
    3DS Friend Code: 1160 - 9940 - 3351
    Rock Type Friend Safari: Nosepass, Onix and Barbaracle.
    I has officially claimed

Page 332 of 340 FirstFirst ... 232282322328329330331332333334335336 ... LastLast