Page 318 of 340 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328 ... LastLast
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 8476

Thread: Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I don't think he's saying that just taking opponents as they come is grinding?
    I don't get what you're saying or asking.

Shouldn't grinding only be grinding if it's intentionally done by the player and not the mechanics of the game? (Meaning that even if the player intended to fight a non-avoidable trainer, it wouldn't be grinding because the game forces the player to.)

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

It was all going so well, and then - Haxorus... Going to have a rethink before I take them on again. I was knocking them all straight out until that freaking wrecking ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Would it really be considered grinding if all the player does is fight the wild Pokémon that they naturally encounter while going through the grass? The player isn't intentionally running around in circles in the grass to encounter wild Pokémon.
    Oh geez, if I did that on top of fighting every possible trainer, I'd imagine that I'd be way overlevelled for the Pokémon League. I'd personally consider it grinding.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

Battled Challenge Mode Elesa last night. Used Magnemite, Trapinch, Pinsir, and Servine, levels ranging from 27-31 I believe. I was able to get Flaffy out I think, that or Zebstrika, still lost in the end though. I'm going back in with Magneton, Trapinch, Pinsir, and Servine, levels ranging from 29-31 I believe. Wonder if this will be another Cheren/Homika fiasco, 5/6 loses is going to be a pain on my cash, but it's not hard to make money in the game anyways(Plus I don't use most of it until post league for Join Avenue), plus I rather take the defeat instead of restarting the game.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

I've beaten Cheren and Roxie so far, and both of them are a walk in the park if you use type matchups. For Cheren, you can 1HKO his Pokemon if you put in the extra mile and teach your Riolu Force Palm, and for Roxie, I used a Lv. 16 Psyduck and a Lv. 17 Growlithe and 2HKO'd both her Pokemon. I had a Magnemite but I didn't even use it, but I know that would've made the fight even easier. Magnemite is like god tier this early in the game. Immunity to Poison, Sturdy, and at Lv. 11 it gets Sonic Boom which is an automatic 2HKO at this point in the game. I'm going to ditch it for Joltik when I get to Chargestone Cave (although I might evolve it first if I can get away with that without too much grinding), but I'm definitely going to enjoy using it in the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I've beaten Cheren and Roxie so far, and both of them are a walk in the park if you use type matchups. For Cheren, you can 1HKO his Pokemon if you put in the extra mile and teach your Riolu Force Palm, and for Roxie, I used a Lv. 16 Psyduck and a Lv. 17 Growlithe and 2HKO'd both her Pokemon. I had a Magnemite but I didn't even use it, but I know that would've made the fight even easier. Magnemite is like god tier this early in the game. Immunity to Poison, Sturdy, and at Lv. 11 it gets Sonic Boom which is an automatic 2HKO at this point in the game. I'm going to ditch it for Joltik when I get to Chargestone Cave (although I might evolve it first if I can get away with that without too much grinding), but I'm definitely going to enjoy using it in the meantime.
    It took a while to get Rilou to learn Force Palm, it only learned it for me because I kept losing but was able to get it a win against Cheren here and there to give it enough EXP. But even then, it still doesn't make it all that easy, his Pokemon have Work Up which give them enough power to knock Rilou out, plus Pidove is neutral against Force Palm.

As for Homika, Magnemite has someone waiting for it in the form of Grimer and it's Mud-Slap. Even with it's immunity, it's going to get messed up from Mud-Slap.

Challenge Mode has more counters for type advantage.

Elesa is just as annoying to beat now, as she was in BW. But at least her Emolga does not know Double Team this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    Elesa is just as annoying to beat now, as she was in BW. But at least her Emolga does not know Double Team this time.
    I think it was cool they took out that 2nd Emolga and added a Gen II Pokemon. It made her much more manageable to not have to deal with 2 Electric/Flying Pokemon

Yeah, also you're supposed to believe that Zebstrika represents Elesa, but with two Emolga's you think that's her main

Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    Yeah, also you're supposed to believe that Zebstrika represents Elesa, but with two Emolga's you think that's her main
    Distractions!

Also, she should have got that o-so-dynamic Tynamo like in the show.

Still don't understand that...

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post

Well, Tynamo's not exactly the toughest Pokémon for a Gym, only knowing Tackle, Thunder Wave, Spark and Charge Beam.

I love how if you try to leave Iris after she says "I've been waiting for this!", she goes "Whaa?! Where are you going?" (or something like that).
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalPotato View Post
    Well, Tynamo's not exactly the toughest Pokémon for a Gym, only knowing Tackle, Thunder Wave, Spark and Charge Beam.
    Ya but in the show it was apparently this extremely fast, awesome Pokemon. It was more of a sarcastic remark than anything.

Lost to Challenge Mode Elesa one more time(Or was it two...my memory is terrible) before I beat her, so a total of 2/3 loses to her until I won, so not as bad as Cheren and Homika, better then Burgh.

Went in with Magneton, Trapinch, Pinsir, and Servine around level 29-31 and came out with level 29-32. Magneton was my last Pokemon against Flaffy, Magneton was Paralyzed and I did lose in the same situation before so I was a bit worry although Magneton had more HP this time and Confusion wore off quickly so it wasn't too bad, was left with half HP.

It's nice that I keep falling for the same thing again and again. I start with Magneton and use Thundershock on Emolga, and what happens, Zebstrika gets switched in, it was either that or use Mirror Shot which wouldn't do much damage, I tried Metal Sound before but Emolga would just use Volt Switch after that(I use Thunder Wave first to Paralyze it so it moves after Magneton) so Metal Sound ends up being useless.

Trapinch isn't the greatest help since for one, it's really slow, and isn't going to be taking too many hits, plus Elesa has a Joltik with Energy Ball so Trapinch's only real help is against Zebstrika and Flaffy and again, it's not great at taking hits and it's slow(Even with Bulldoze it's not outspeeding stuff). I believe it did manage to take out Zebstrika though(I believe it was weaken by Servine first though).

So I had a hard enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Distractions!

Because that thing would be a joke to defeat?

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    It took a while to get Rilou to learn Force Palm, it only learned it for me because I kept losing but was able to get it a win against Cheren here and there to give it enough EXP. But even then, it still doesn't make it all that easy, his Pokemon have Work Up which give them enough power to knock Rilou out, plus Pidove is neutral against Force Palm.
    I beat both of his Pokemon before they could even land an attack. Also, Pidove is Challenge Mode only, and I wouldn't used Riolu for Pidove anyway, I'd use Mareep.

As for Homika, Magnemite has someone waiting for it in the form of Grimer and it's Mud-Slap. Even with it's immunity, it's going to get messed up from Mud-Slap.
    Eh, as long as you can get two Sonic Booms in, Magnemite can defeat it no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

...I destroyed Roxie with Magnemite

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I beat both of his Pokemon before they could even land an attack. Also, Pidove is Challenge Mode only, and I wouldn't used Riolu for Pidove anyway, I'd use Mareep.

Eh, as long as you can get two Sonic Booms in, Magnemite can defeat it no problem.
    I'm talking about Challenge Mode Cheren and Roxie. Normal Mode was fine with me, but Challenge Mode was an increase in difficult for me. Plus I didn't have Mareep to use against Pidove, didn't want to make things that much easier for me. Plus I have the Shift/Set option set on Set, so if I were to switch out Riolu, someone would probably get hit by Pidove or it would just power up, of course I could just put it on Shift, but, again, trying to keep the game difficult as possible without using easy ways out.

...I destroyed Roxie with Magnemite
    On Normal Mode or Challenge Mode?

Oh. Normal mode, my bad

Am I the only one who felt that Unfezant fit Skyla more than Swoobat or Sigilyph (Challenge Mode) do? Especially in the case of Sigilyph, I just don't really see it fitting Skyla.

Lost to Challenge Mode Elesa one more time(Or was it two...my memory is terrible) before I beat her, so a total of 2/3 loses to her until I won, so not as bad as Cheren and Homika, better then Burgh.

Went in with Magneton, Trapinch, Pinsir, and Servine around level 29-31 and came out with level 29-32. Magneton was my last Pokemon against Flaffy, Magneton was Paralyzed and I did lose in the same situation before so I was a bit worry although Magneton had more HP this time and Confusion wore off quickly so it wasn't too bad, was left with half HP.

It's nice that I keep falling for the same thing again and again. I start with Magneton and use Thundershock on Emolga, and what happens, Zebstrika gets switched in, it was either that or use Mirror Shot which wouldn't do much damage, I tried Metal Sound before but Emolga would just use Volt Switch after that(I use Thunder Wave first to Paralyze it so it moves after Magneton) so Metal Sound ends up being useless.

Trapinch isn't the greatest help since for one, it's really slow, and isn't going to be taking too many hits, plus Elesa has a Joltik with Energy Ball so Trapinch's only real help is against Zebstrika and Flaffy and again, it's not great at taking hits and it's slow(Even with Bulldoze it's not outspeeding stuff). I believe it did manage to take out Zebstrika though(I believe it was weaken by Servine first though).

So I had a hard enough time.
    Elesa uses a joltik with enery ball? that's broken

I wonder how Skyla counters electric types, since I OHKOd everything with Jolteon
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

I purposely kept using Thunder Wave on her Grimer, and her Grimer never used Mud-Slap. :/

How is it broken?

How is it broken?
    I personally don't see how that would be broken, either. It's a perfectly viable counter for Ground-type Pokémon (but then again, Ground-type moves are neutrally effective against Joltik to begin with). And besides, Joltik's Sp. Atk stat isn't even that high.

Oh right I forgot you're supposed to use ground type moves. Durr. See I beat it with my Lucario

Oh right I forgot you're supposed to use ground type moves. Durr. See I beat it with my Lucario
    But Joltik's Bug-type kind of negates Ground's super-effectiveness on Electric-type Pokémon. o:

I'd personally use Fire.

Page 318 of 340 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328 ... LastLast