Page 320 of 340 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 8476

Thread: Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I think one of the reasons for this is because the trainers can potentially have any type of Pokémon (assumptions only based on their trainer sprite), whereas the player tends to know the type of Pokémon the gym leader uses and accomodates their team to perform the best based on this knowledge. In other words, the surprise factor that trainers have that gym leaders don't.
    Nah, even when I use type matchups, it's still problematic. I know what it is, it's the level pacing. One moment the trainers you're fighting are the same level as you, and then when you go to the next route, they're 5 levels higher. And I think the short distance between gyms is to blame for that. I don't mind if the gym leaders are a little easier due to type matchups and all that stuff, but is it a little too much to ask that they be a bit tougher than the random mooks nearby by default?
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Nah, even when I use type matchups, it's still problematic. I know what it is, it's the level pacing. One moment the trainers you're fighting are the same level as you, and then when you go to the next route, they're 5 levels higher. And I think the short distance between gyms is to blame for that. I don't mind if the gym leaders are a little easier due to type matchups and all that stuff, but is it a little too much to ask that they be a bit tougher than the random mooks nearby by default?
    They are, though. If you look at their levels compared to nearby mooks with the same amount of Pokemon, their secondaries are two to three levels stronger, and their aces are four to five levels stronger.

Battled Challenge Mode Clay with Servine(Level 33), Crobat(Level 31), Pinsir(Level 31), and Vibrava(Level 35), won the first time. I didn't end up even using Vibrava, Pinsir finished Excadrill off.

I started with Servine which was able to take out Krokorok and Onix, then it lost to Sandslash. Crobat took out Sandslash then lost to Excadrill. Probably should have used Crobat first, or maybe I shouldn't have used Servine at all(Although I didn't want to use Magneton and Zorua was too low on the levels and I didn't want to bother leveling it up). Oh well.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    They are, though. If you look at their levels compared to nearby mooks with the same amount of Pokemon, their secondaries are two to three levels stronger, and their aces are four to five levels stronger.
    Yeah, but it's more problematic with the Pokemon that you don't use for the Gym Leaders, they usually end up severely underleveled.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Yeah, but it's more problematic with the Pokemon that you don't use for the Gym Leaders, they usually end up severely underleveled.
    I dunno, I've never had that problem. Usually what I do is if a Pokemon's underleveled, I just level it in the next area, through switch-training or Exp. Share if I absolutely need to. Generally even Pokemon with disadvantages type-wise can handle -some- of the Gym Trainers' Pokes.

It also helps to plan ahead; if you know you're going to have to fight Clay next, maybe Magnemite needs more Exp. so it's not underleveled after Gym fight.

Speaking of Clay, he's the first gym leader I've fought that's actually been remotely challenging, and even then, it's only because of the level pacing. My Servine was ****ing Lv. 22 when I got to the gym, and even after beating Clay's underlings, it's still only Lv. 27. So yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. I really wish the other end of Relic Passage was open for training at this point.

Ugh. Cheren was actually a challenge for me. I battled him yesterday thinking that my team consisting of Oshawott, Riolu and Mareep would be enough, but I underestimated him. That Lillipup tore up my team and I'm still reeling from the battle. I guess it's partially my fault though. I thought his Patrat and Lillipup were at level 9 and 11, respectively. I guess I should've done more research. Anyway, I'm about to challenge Roxie, but my Pokemon still feel under-leveled; I've been training at the Virbank Complex area with Lucky Eggs attached to my Pokemon, but Roxie still seems daunting. I'm upset with the leveling system in these games; even the Audino aren't helping my training.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    Ugh. Cheren was actually a challenge for me. I battled him yesterday thinking that my team consisting of Oshawott, Riolu and Mareep would be enough, but I underestimated him. That Lillipup tore up my team and I'm still reeling from the battle. I guess it's partially my fault though. I thought his Patrat and Lillipup were at level 9 and 11, respectively. I guess I should've done more research. Anyway, I'm about to challenge Roxie, but my Pokemon still feel under-leveled; I've been training at the Virbank Complex area with Lucky Eggs attached to my Pokemon, but Roxie still seems daunting. I'm upset with the leveling system in these games; even the Audino aren't helping my training.
    You serious dude lol !!!?? My rival actually....almost beat me during my very first match

Strongest Gym Leader in my opinion is Clay...wow Excadrill totally caught me off guard
    Pokemon Black 2 Team

Pokemon White Team

Yea, at the beginning Audino really didn't help me either. I started training against them before I battled Elesa.

Work Up is a pain in my *** sometimes

As far as Virbank goes, if you have a Steel-type, you'll rock the roof off that place

Yeah...I got really lucky on Cheren...I had Genesect at the time, and it wouldn't obey me, so Cheren just set up like 8 or 9 work ups and I got really scared he was gonna one-shot my whole team.

Yup, if you're not careful you can get underleveled quickly. I had to level my whole team by about 5 levels before Drayden's gym....it sucked.

Thankfully, I haven't had any trouble finding Audinos.

Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Yup, if you're not careful you can get underleveled quickly. I had to level my whole team by about 5 levels before Drayden's gym....it sucked..
    Which is why I usually take advantage of trainer battles and whatnot. I'm also tactical on type advantages so I don;t have to worry about Lv. all that much.

Audino does help a lot though. I have yet to use them before post-game, but I bet they are extremely helpful in-game

Speaking of Clay, he's the first gym leader I've fought that's actually been remotely challenging, and even then, it's only because of the level pacing. My Servine was ****ing Lv. 22 when I got to the gym, and even after beating Clay's underlings, it's still only Lv. 27. So yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. I really wish the other end of Relic Passage was open for training at this point.
    Skyla is another pushover, in challenge mode her pokemon might be fast, but you outrun and OHKO with Jolteon.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Skyla is another pushover, in challenge mode her pokemon might be fast, but you outrun and OHKO with Jolteon.
    That's why in my White 2 BQ (when I finally get a post-Toxic Badge Pokémon >_>), I'm going to be using Mareep. Not to challenge myself purposely, of course, but because it's one of the shiny Pokémon that I'd be using on my main team in that game.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Well I'm going to be using Joltik/Galvantula against her, and since it's not resistant to Flying, I might have a slightly tougher time. I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out, I guess.

Well I'm going to be using Joltik/Galvantula against her, and since it's not resistant to Flying, I might have a slightly tougher time. I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out, I guess.
    Personally, I'd use Thunder Wave and Electro Ball. Getting lucky on the paralysis almost guarantees a one-hit KO.

Of course, if her Pokémon is neutral to Electric...

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Personally, I'd use Thunder Wave and Electro Ball. Getting lucky on the paralysis almost guarantees a one-hit KO.

Of course, if her Pokémon is neutral to Electric...
    None of them are, and her main (Swanna) is x4 weak to it. I'm more worried about it surviving whatever she can throw at me.

None of them are, and her main (Swanna) is x4 weak to it. I'm more worried about it surviving whatever she can throw at me.
    Not to mention Galvantula lacks defense hardcore so that makes it better

There's Galvantula or Joltik's innate Speed to consider too... Joltik isn't that quick, and Galvantula's Speed isn't too high... plus there's their Defense stats to worry about and stuff...

I guess using Galvantula is harder than it looks, huh?

Galvantula has 108 base Speed. That's quite high for a Pokemon that's available on the middle of the storyline, not near the end of it. Even Hydreigon has 10 less base Speed. Haxorus is even worse, its base Speed is only 97.
    I'm sure it will outspeed Skyla's Swanna, since the base Speed for Swanna is the same as Hydreigon - it's only 98. Especially if the Galvantula has Timid Nature.

But Joltik is indeed rather slow. 65 base Speed.....

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Hm, then I suppose my strategy should be "hit hard before they can hit you". And if Galvantula's Speed is really that great, Electro Ball should be very effective, so that's a good thing.

Hm, then I suppose my strategy should be "hit hard before they can hit you". And if Galvantula's Speed is really that great, Electro Ball should be very effective, so that's a good thing.
    And there's always your friend Paralysis. Nothing wrong with setting up your field for advantage

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    As far as Virbank goes, if you have a Steel-type, you'll rock the roof off that place
    I had a Lucario, so that battle wasn't so hard. I was thinking of capturing a Magnemite for the battle as well, but I decided against it since I was already training an Electric-type (Flaaffy). The Castelia City Gym battle has me worried though. My Pokemon seem incredibly under-leveled at the moment. I may have to train at the sewers for hours just to get their levels up.

I had a Lucario, so that battle wasn't so hard. I was thinking of capturing a Magnemite for the battle as well, but I decided against it since I was already training an Electric-type (Flaaffy). The Castelia City Gym battle has me worried though. My Pokemon seem incredibly under-leveled at the moment. I may have to train at the sewers for hours just to get their levels up.
    The only real problem on Burgh's team is his Leavanny. If you have Paralysis then it helps a lot. A good thing to know as well if you are under-leveled is that you can always set up the field to your advantage.

If you have a Fire type that's at least Lv. 20, Burgh's an utter cakewalk.

Page 320 of 340 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330 ... LastLast