Page 334 of 340 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 8476

Thread: Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

  1. #8326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AhTreyYou View Post
    They seriously should of made the 8th Gym in BW2 a Dark Gym
    It wouldn't have fit anywhere to me. Plus if they would have done that, Humilau City would not be what it is now, and I like that place.

  2. #8327
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    It wouldn't have fit anywhere to me.
    A Dark type gym would've been perfect for Lacunosa Town, but I don't think it would've been appropriate to make it the 8th gym in that case, maybe 6th or 7th.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  3. #8328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    A Dark type gym would've been perfect for Lacunosa Town, but I don't think it would've been appropriate to make it the 8th gym in that case, maybe 6th or 7th.
    I don't think it would have fit there :/

    Plus I don't like when they just cram Gyms somewhere and the Gyms end up being too close together and there's really no point of the gym being there story-wise

  4. #8329
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AhTreyYou View Post
    They seriously should of made the 8th Gym in BW2 a Dark Gym
    And why is that?

    I think I'm the only one who's not all that thrilled about a Dark-type Gym nor thinks they have to give us one.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

    "Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

  5. #8330
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I don't think it would have fit there :/
    It totally would've. Think about it, the people of Lacunosa Town stay inside at night because they're scared of the "monster" eating them. So maybe the gym leader could be a night guard of sorts that uses Dark types to protect the city. That would've been perfect for a Dark type gym leader.

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Plus I don't like when they just cram Gyms somewhere and the Gyms end up being too close together and there's really no point of the gym being there story-wise
    That would be an improvement in that regard, since gyms 3-6 were too close together. Removing one of those gyms and adding one in Lacunosa would've been better for pacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  6. #8331
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    It totally would've. Think about it, the people of Lacunosa Town stay inside at night because they're scared of the "monster" eating them. So maybe the gym leader could be a night guard of sorts that uses Dark types to protect the city. That would've been perfect for a Dark type gym leader.
    Seems to me a Fire type leader would work better (light up the night, keep the monster away, fire trumps ice)
    Or even a rock type leader (giant stone walls keep out kyurem. also rock>ice)


    Meanwhile Dark would have to deal with several decades worth of stories and traditions that associate the night and darkness with the giant human eating freezing cold monster
    edit: it would be like having an ice type gym in Lacunosa, basically

  7. #8332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    It totally would've. Think about it, the people of Lacunosa Town stay inside at night because they're scared of the "monster" eating them. So maybe the gym leader could be a night guard of sorts that uses Dark types to protect the city. That would've been perfect for a Dark type gym leader.



    That would be an improvement in that regard, since gyms 3-6 were too close together. Removing one of those gyms and adding one in Lacunosa would've been better for pacing.
    There would be too many altercations story-wise and Gym-placement that would need to be made. Plus I tend to enjoy the towns that don't have a gym.

  8. #8333
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    There would be too many altercations story-wise and Gym-placement that would need to be made. Plus I tend to enjoy the towns that don't have a gym.
    Not really. Gym placement usually doesn't have that much to do with the storyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  9. #8334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Not really. Gym placement usually doesn't have that much to do with the storyline.
    I think it did w/ Gen V when they had Gym Leaders interact w/ the storyline.

  10. #8335
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I think it did w/ Gen V when they had Gym Leaders interact w/ the storyline.
    To a degree, but they're usually not essential to the storyline, they just show up during whatever's happening. At any rate, I don't see why the Lacunosa Town gym leader can't show up while the old lady is explaining the legend or when Team Plasma ambushes you.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  11. #8336
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Re-exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    5,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    To a degree, but they're usually not essential to the storyline, they just show up during whatever's happening. At any rate, I don't see why the Lacunosa Town gym leader can't show up while the old lady is explaining the legend or when Team Plasma ambushes you.
    Lacunosa doesn't have a gym, right?

    .: Pumping it up for November!!! | Drawn by me, do not steal. :.
    ~ My Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Speculation & Wishlist ~

    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.


  12. #8337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    Lacunosa doesn't have a gym, right?
    Right. We are discussing the possibility of it having one.

  13. #8338
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    'Straya mate!
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Did anyone have a lot of trouble with a specific Gym Leader, and had to keep rebattling them over and over again? I haven't had that problem since the good old days of R/S/E against Norman and Winona. I assumed that I was going to be overlevelled for most of the gyms, but up against Burgh, I was really disadvantaged. I'd gone from overlevelled pokemon against Roxie to underlevelled Servine, Lucario and Drilbur. But I didn't want to just go and get Growlithe or something (because he wasn't part of my planned team), so I had to really buckle under.


    All credit to SM of Daedric Design for this awesome banner!

    Y Team: Talonflame, Roserade, Aegislash, Goodra, Blaziken, Greninja
    3DS Friend Code: 1160 - 9940 - 3351
    Rock Type Friend Safari: Nosepass, Onix and Barbaracle.
    I has officially claimed

  14. #8339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GildedScizor View Post
    Did anyone have a lot of trouble with a specific Gym Leader, and had to keep rebattling them over and over again? I haven't had that problem since the good old days of R/S/E against Norman and Winona. I assumed that I was going to be overlevelled for most of the gyms, but up against Burgh, I was really disadvantaged. I'd gone from overlevelled pokemon against Roxie to underlevelled Servine, Lucario and Drilbur. But I didn't want to just go and get Growlithe or something (because he wasn't part of my planned team), so I had to really buckle under.
    I play a lot of Type mismatches so I didn't really have trouble. I owe a lot of that success to Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone as well as it was the MVP of many of the Gym Leaders.

    I think in BW1/BW2 a big part of your success in the Gyms comes from your approach and I found a vast majority of the approaches to be very successful. The difficulty of the Gym was more in your hands.

  15. #8340
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Smelling the cat food
    Posts
    9,241

    Default

    I've found that I usually don't ever end up losing Gym matches any more, but I'd probably just attribute that to my better understanding of the game mechanics and foresight of what I'm going up against.

  16. #8341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    I've found that I usually don't ever end up losing Gym matches any more, but I'd probably just attribute that to my better understanding of the game mechanics and foresight of what I'm going up against.
    I would agree with this. The difficulty of the Gym really depends on your knowledge of mechanics and tactics within the game. The only thing that's a challenge to me the 1st time I play a game is not knowing their line-up. I don't really like to research it either

  17. #8342
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I would agree with this. The difficulty of the Gym really depends on your knowledge of mechanics and tactics within the game. The only thing that's a challenge to me the 1st time I play a game is not knowing their line-up. I don't really like to research it either
    Funnily enough the first time trying challange mode I actually lost to Cheren and Roxie. Although to be fair that might have more to do with the fact I was raising 4 pokemon at once whereas in earlier games I usually have at most 2.
    Pokemon Y
    Friend Code: 4742-7095-3187

    Badges: 4
    Current Team: Charizard Y, Chesnaught, Greninja, Tyrantrum & egg

  18. #8343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer_legend View Post
    Funnily enough the first time trying challange mode I actually lost to Cheren and Roxie. Although to be fair that might have more to do with the fact I was raising 4 pokemon at once whereas in earlier games I usually have at most 2.
    Ya. I prefer to develop 1 Pokemon that I know will perform well in the current Gym. I don't like clutter in my teams.

    Although, I do enjoy the occasional "rotation" tactic and having a vast selection to choose from.

  19. #8344
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Ya. I prefer to develop 1 Pokemon that I know will perform well in the current Gym. I don't like clutter in my teams.

    Although, I do enjoy the occasional "rotation" tactic and having a vast selection to choose from.
    Ah yes the rotation tactic or as I like to call it the Ash Ketchum reflex. In all honesty it's simply because most of the pokemon I wanted in my team could be caught really early at the Floccessy Ranch. I have to admit though it's pushed me alot harder than I thought (much like R/B/G/S) did back in the old days. It's good fun. =D
    Pokemon Y
    Friend Code: 4742-7095-3187

    Badges: 4
    Current Team: Charizard Y, Chesnaught, Greninja, Tyrantrum & egg

  20. #8345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer_legend View Post
    Ah yes the rotation tactic or as I like to call it the Ash Ketchum reflex. In all honesty it's simply because most of the pokemon I wanted in my team could be caught really early at the Floccessy Ranch. I have to admit though it's pushed me alot harder than I thought (much like R/B/G/S) did back in the old days. It's good fun. =D
    Even then I have to keep it under control so that I know what I have and what needs to be trained

  21. #8346
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    'Straya mate!
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    I've found that I usually don't ever end up losing Gym matches any more, but I'd probably just attribute that to my better understanding of the game mechanics and foresight of what I'm going up against.
    I'd agree with this. I also do a fair bit of grinding just to make sure I'm a bit overtrained, even though I try not to research their lineups, but in this case I was just caught out by a bit of bad luck against Burgh. My approach to Gym Battles has been pretty much the same since D/P which has always worked, but there's still a fair few mechanics even now in 5th gen I'm adjusting to.


    All credit to SM of Daedric Design for this awesome banner!

    Y Team: Talonflame, Roserade, Aegislash, Goodra, Blaziken, Greninja
    3DS Friend Code: 1160 - 9940 - 3351
    Rock Type Friend Safari: Nosepass, Onix and Barbaracle.
    I has officially claimed

  22. #8347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GildedScizor View Post
    I'd agree with this. I also do a fair bit of grinding just to make sure I'm a bit overtrained, even though I try not to research their lineups, but in this case I was just caught out by a bit of bad luck against Burgh. My approach to Gym Battles has been pretty much the same since D/P which has always worked, but there's still a fair few mechanics even now in 5th gen I'm adjusting to.
    I like to put myself in somewhat mismatch situations to where I barely win. Magnemite was my favorite for this.

  23. #8348
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwest England
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I like to put myself in somewhat mismatch situations to where I barely win. Magnemite was my favorite for this.
    For me i try as hard as I can to underlevel my team. I do this by getting as many team members in the early game as possible, so that I'm at 4-5 by the second gym. GF don't expect you to get a full team of 6 until about halfway through, so it's much harder to maintain a large team like this. I still fight every trainer, but I almost never grind against wild pokemon. When i come to gym leaders I skim over their movesets, and then use type advantage and my other prior knowledge to defeat opponents.
    It's great because the game is still challenging, I can use a full/near-full team for the longest amount of time and it can still be experienced to the fullest without any grinding. Only problem is I often can't go to large side-areas, particularly in the early game as it can inflate my levels too much and ruin the challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

  24. #8349
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    It's great because the game is still challenging, I can use a full/near-full team for the longest amount of time and it can still be experienced to the fullest without any grinding. Only problem is I often can't go to large side-areas, particularly in the early game as it can inflate my levels too much and ruin the challenge.
    I wouldn't worry about it in this game, the gyms are so clustered together that even if you venture into the side areas, you'd still end up underleveled because the gym leaders are getting the same level bump across a shorter distance than usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  25. #8350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it in this game, the gyms are so clustered together that even if you venture into the side areas, you'd still end up underleveled because the gym leaders are getting the same level bump across a shorter distance than usual.
    I still see that being an issue. Especially in between Castelia and Nimbasa

Page 334 of 340 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •