Page 122 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 3908

Thread: Unova Region Discussion/Speculation Thread [Read First Post]

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    Well what do they lose from that?
    Oh no you don't get to go in circles or an offshoot route

How often do you really notice this without frequently checking the map or whatever?

How much would it honestly, really matter which way you go in a given region
    Optional areas increase game length and replay value. You're getting a much richer experience because you have more to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    Fine, Johto. That's a better example of another linear region.
    Johto's pretty much the only region that compares, and even then, it's still slightly better. At least in Johto you had a branching path where you could choose where to go after Ecruteak.

And BW2 involved you going to the Eastern Unova from Mistralton, going to Opelucid, then going back to Undella. It was still pretty damn linear though but still, it didn't feel like it was questioning my intelligence like BW1.
    They both kind of do since there's no optional paths aside from one or two branching routes that lead nowhere. The backtracking to Undella kind of helped, but not much since you had to wait until beating Drayden to go back.

And what else in BW was lazy?
    It's mainly BW2 that's lazy, you can quite clearly see through the Pokemon distribution and the lack of available features like breeding and fossil resurrection (or at the very least given us Archen/Tirtouga through some other method) that when they changed the storyline path they didn't put enough thought into how the region would be affected. There's also level pacing issues, especially towards the end of both games, and some of the Gym Leader rosters are slightly lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Johto is less linear when compared to Unova. Johto isn't line-loop-line like Unova is (one line goes from Nuvema to Castelia, the loop is the hexagon, and the other line is Route 10 and Victory Road). Yeah, BW2's additions helped, but region design-wise, those additions were only made to make the region look less linear.
    Not by much, aside from the split at Ecruteak, it's still pretty linear.

I would've appreciated if it were on Route 4 (an extension of it, where there is no desert), Route 5, or Route 16, even for Black and White. Having the day care on Route 3 and having an invisible interaction wall just never seemed right to me.
    IMO, the Daycare should've been in Rt. 5 to begin with, that's a much more appropriate place in both games for it than Rt. 3, which is too early in BW1 to the point where they had to restrict its features until Nimbasa, and too late in BW2. At any rate, the Daycare should've definitely been moved in BW2, it's far too crucial to the game for them to restrict it until post game, and anywhere that's not post game would've been a much better choice for it.

Yeah, I think they had to find a place to put HM04 last minute due to neglect in design. Otherwise, I'm sure the HM would've been well-integrated into the game. :/
    I don't mind as much where they put it as I do how you're supposed to figure out it's there. The only hint they give is from some random forgettable NPC in Hearthome City that you may or may not encounter, and if you don't, you won't need Strength until much later on (after the 6th gym to be exact) and then you'll be stuck having to retrace your steps back through the entire region. It would've been better if someone in Canalave City would tell you to go back to Lost Tower. The problem with how they handled it in DP was that you were supposed to get it long before you need it, and there's very little prompting you to enter Lost Tower at any point in the game.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 2nd October 2012 at 3:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    It's mainly BW2 that's lazy, you can quite clearly see through the Pokemon distribution and the lack of available features like breeding and fossil resurrection (or at the very least given us Archen/Tirtouga through some other method) that when they changed the storyline path they didn't put enough thought into how the region would be affected. There's also level pacing issues, especially towards the end of both games, and some of the Gym Leader rosters are slightly lacking.
    I have to agree with the pacing issue of BW2 actually. It can literally take you under an hour for the first two gyms, then the third to sixth gym can take you another few hours. But after that it is soooo damn long to get from gym to gym it's not even funny. IDK, I kind of liked that. It felt like it was building up momentum.

Although, BW2 is the longest Pokemon games I have ever played

And they fixed the Strength problem in Platinum when they had Riley provide it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Not by much, aside from the split at Ecruteak, it's still pretty linear.
    Yeah. It's pretty much exactly that split (along with the ability to go south from Blackthorn before getting the Rising Badge) that prevents Johto from restraining the player too much. Unova pretty much always restrains the player in terms of the number of explorable areas.

IMO, the Daycare should've been in Rt. 5 to begin with, that's a much more appropriate place in both games for it than Rt. 3, which is too early in BW1 to the point where they had to restrict its features until Nimbasa, and too late in BW2. At any rate, the Daycare should've definitely been moved in BW2, it's far too crucial to the game for them to restrict it until post game, and anywhere that's not post game would've been a much better choice for it.
    In my opinion, needing to move the Day Care would've been better, design plan-wise, than not moving the Day Care at all. At least with moving the Day Care, the designers would've acknowledged that the placement of the Day Care in BW was wrong (so wrong that restriction of features had to be implemented). By not moving the Day Care, either the designers are ignorant and acknowledge bad placement but didn't do anything about it, or they just never realized their design plan mistake.

Of course, if they put it at a place similar to where the Day Care was in every other game, then that'd be ideal.

I don't mind as much where they put it as I do how you're supposed to figure out it's there. The only hint they give is from some random forgettable NPC in Hearthome City that you may or may not encounter, and if you don't, you won't need Strength until much later on (after the 6th gym to be exact) and then you'll be stuck having to retrace your steps back through the entire region. It would've been better if someone in Canalave City would tell you to go back to Lost Tower. The problem with how they handled it in DP was that you were supposed to get it long before you need it, and there's very little prompting you to enter Lost Tower at any point in the game.
    In terms of letting the player loose, I think Sinnoh let the player a bit too loose on getting HM04. Yeah, exploration should be implemented, but not so much that not deviating from the story's path at all prevents you from actually beating the game.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Remember awhile back when I asked if we got a unfrozen map yet? Some of you said we might get one in the english guides. Well I just got mine and there is an unfrozen map in there.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    Remember awhile back when I asked if we got a unfrozen map yet? Some of you said we might get one in the english guides. Well I just got mine and there is an unfrozen map in there.
    OMG! Pictures please!

Anyway, I dunno if this has been mentioned yet but I just noticed a few things...

Here's an interesting description from the Town Map for the Cave of Being: "They say the deepest part of the cave leads to the Sinnoh region."
    So... I guess it's safe to assume that Unova is somewhere around south/southwest/west of Sinnoh.

Also, we know that Flocessy was derived from Floccus. The "-cessy" part seems to be derived from Prophecy, based on the town's tagline.
    I haven't seen Lentimas and Humilau's yet.

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    OMG! Pictures please!
    Don't get too excited, I can't really upload pictures. But I'm sure someone will have it up eventually. But it's one of those maps that has everything labeled. So while it is unfrozen it still covered up a bit. I'll keep going through the guide and see if there is a blank one somewhere.

And they did a very good job keeping Humilau city hidden from us. There's a giant glare right on it when you look at the frozen map.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    So... I guess it's safe to assume that Unova is somewhere around south/southwest/west of Sinnoh.
    It's meant to be FAR from Sinnoh or Kanto or Johto or Hoenn. Maybe the cave is based on the myth that if you dig deep enough, you'll reach China or something. Or you're teleported by the Lake Trio.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Yeah I think Unova is nowhere near the rest, not even remotely touching. It's like US to Japan

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    It's meant to be FAR from Sinnoh or Kanto or Johto or Hoenn. Maybe the cave is based on the myth that if you dig deep enough, you'll reach China or something. Or you're teleported by the Lake Trio.
    It could also be a very, very long tunnel that stretches across the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    It could also be a very, very long tunnel that stretches across the ocean
    Normally, I'd say that this is blasphemous, but seeing the Marine Tube, I don't think that making such a tunnel is an impossible feat.

Yeah I think Unova is nowhere near the rest, not even remotely touching. It's like US to Japan
    Just go off the west coast :P

In fact, that could be how R_N's tunnel is set up.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Just go off the west coast :P

In fact, that could be how R_N's tunnel is set up.
    Hmm. If Unova is east or west of the other four regions--or whether or not the Pokémon world is flat, even--we don't know.

Hmm. If Unova is east or west of the other four regions--or whether or not the Pokémon world is flat, even--we don't know.
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume that it's round.

Otherwise, all that stuff Cynthia said about the world being a giant, metaphorical egg would make no sense.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume that it's round.

Otherwise, all that stuff Cynthia said about the world being a giant, metaphorical egg would make no sense.
    Yeah. That, and the fact that the anime depicts the world as being round.

(Yes, the anime and the games are two separate continuities, but nothing in the game contradicts the depiction of the world in the anime.)

I highly doubt even in the games the world of Pokemon is flat... Don't be absurd

I highly doubt even in the games the world of Pokemon is flat... Don't be absurd
    If the world is round, why is gravity so easily manipulable?

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    The move Gravity is just a game-play mechanic. Plus Pokemon are powerful beings. If they can create energy to shoot out of their bodies in various ways, I don't think a few Psychic types would have any problem manipulating the gravity in the arena around them.

I <3 Quagsire

Roundness if the world doesn't affect how easy it is to manipulate Gravity. Besides, pokemon are powerful things and gravity is a very weak force considering that an entire planet's gravity can be overcome by an air pressure difference on a planes wings.

Anyway, besides the anime there's no evidence as to how the pokemon world is shaped. It could be an oblate spheroid like Earth, flat as the maps GF gives or even a toroid. Yep, millions of people living on a freakin' massive donut.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 9th October 2012 at 9:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetlight View Post
    If they can create energy to shoot out of their bodies in various ways, I don't think a few Psychic types would have any problem manipulating the gravity in the arena around them.
    Gravity is based on mass. Manipulating gravity in that manner would mean somehow decreasing the mass of the entire planet. Having a flat planet makes more sense, because you only need to reduce the gravity of the mass in the general area.

I, personally, continue to maintain that the notion that the Pokemon world is shaped like a long Mobius strip. Like, really long.

Gravity is based on mass.
    According to our understanding of the world, yes.

Let us not apply the logic of reality to a children's game.

Pokemon can control gravity, it's that simple

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Let us not apply the logic of reality to a children's game.
    I REFUSE TO NOT DO SO

Pokemon can control gravity, it's that simple
    Oh, I guess that makes sense.

I don't understand why people try to apply real life logic into Pokemon attacks, I mean the fact it comes out of creatures means it's a whole new thing to deal with. It also explains why Ash doesn't die from all the burns and zaps he receives. Pokemon stuff is a lot less lethal

I don't understand why people try to apply real life logic into Pokemon attacks, I mean the fact it comes out of creatures means it's a whole new thing to deal with.
    Because we have far too much time on our hands.

It also explains why Ash doesn't die from all the burns and zaps he receives. Pokemon stuff is a lot less lethal
    Or humans have very thick skin in the Pokémon world. Et cetera, et cetera.

It also explains why Ash doesn't die from all the burns and zaps he receives. Pokemon stuff is a lot less lethal
    That's one of the reasons trainers can be so near their pokemon while battling even though they are near the pokemon attacks.If those pokemon's attacks could hurt them a lot then they probably could not just randomly battle some bicycler who is nearby.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

Page 122 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132 ... LastLast