Page 132 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 3908

Thread: Unova Region Discussion/Speculation Thread [Read First Post]

  1. #3276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I don't. I think instead of Rock Climb, they should bring back the Acro Bike and use that instead.

    I think this should be the HM list:

    Cut
    Surf
    Strength
    Waterfall
    Dive
    Whirpool

    Fly would be downgraded to a TM.
    I don't think they should have either...
    I'm tired of HMs that are useless after you use them. Like Cut. That should be a TM or at least make it to where the trees stay cut down like they did w/ boulders & Strength. I wasn't a huge fan of Whirlpool either. It was cool back in GS with the Whirl Islands but after that, no.

    I dream of the day they make Fly a 1 turn move... 8(

  2. #3277
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    Hell no. I like the ability to go faster on my bike, and Rock Climb looked a lot cooler and it was faster. It also made for some interesting dungeon navigation (I loved the way it was handled at Mt. Silver)
    I was thinking having the Mach Bike and Acro Bike as a sort of upgrade to the actual bike so that the Acro Bike wouldn't make you go slower. Maybe it can work exactly like Rock Climb if they bring it back.

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I don't think they should have either...
    Why not? It allows you more mobility.

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I I'm tired of HMs that are useless after you use them. Like Cut. That should be a TM or at least make it to where the trees stay cut down like they did w/ boulders & Strength.
    You just contradicted yourself. Strength is useless after you've pushed every boulder in its hole, and yet you want Cut to be more like Strength? No, that makes no sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I wasn't a huge fan of Whirlpool either. It was cool back in GS with the Whirl Islands but after that, no.
    It's slightly more useful in HGSS. In GSC, it was like every other HM, all it does is simply remove the whirlpool temporarily. But in HGSS, it doesn't remove the whirlpool, it only lets you cross it to the opposite side. This implementation has more potential for water mazes, that's why I think it should be brought back.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  3. #3278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    You just contradicted yourself. Strength is useless after you've pushed every boulder in its hole, and yet you want Cut to be more like Strength? No, that makes no sense.
    I don't get where the contradictory is...

    Most, if not all, the places where you use Cut are for items. Once you obtain all those items, Cut is pointless. I'm just saying the effect of Cut should be the same as the permanent effect of Strength. When you use the Strength, the boulders are permanently gone and Strength is still good in battles as well. I want the trees you use Cut on to just stay cut down permanently. I could care less if Cut has a battle use because Strength would be stronger anyways

  4. #3279
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Go away, why do you care?
    Posts
    8,084

    Default

    I really wish we'd only have ONE water HM. I don't wanna cram my only water type with HMs move or have to constantly go to the PC to get my slaves. Even two is irritating, but in Johto it was awful

  5. #3280
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    That way
    Posts
    6,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    I really wish we'd only have ONE water HM. I don't wanna cram my only water type with HMs move or have to constantly go to the PC to get my slaves. Even two is irritating, but in Johto it was awful
    I agree, I would keep Surf as a HM since some non-Water Pokemon like Stoutland can use it.

  6. #3281
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Go away, why do you care?
    Posts
    8,084

    Default

    Surf is actually my favourite water type move so I don't really care. Even if it was a TM I'd teach it to my water types

  7. #3282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    I really wish we'd only have ONE water HM. I don't wanna cram my only water type with HMs move or have to constantly go to the PC to get my slaves. Even two is irritating, but in Johto it was awful
    It would be neat if they took out HMs and made the effects of them side abilities for Pokemon. You wouldnt be able to use them in battle either unless you put them in a move slot

  8. #3283
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I don't get where the contradictory is...

    Most, if not all, the places where you use Cut are for items. Once you obtain all those items, Cut is pointless. I'm just saying the effect of Cut should be the same as the permanent effect of Strength. When you use the Strength, the boulders are permanently gone and Strength is still good in battles as well. I want the trees you use Cut on to just stay cut down permanently. I could care less if Cut has a battle use because Strength would be stronger anyways
    That's no different than any other HM. That has more to do with how they design the areas. Keep in mind that they explicitly designed Unova so that you didn't need HMs that much for the storyline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    I really wish we'd only have ONE water HM. I don't wanna cram my only water type with HMs move or have to constantly go to the PC to get my slaves. Even two is irritating, but in Johto it was awful
    That's a more legitimate complaint. I do think all of them have uses, though, so maybe they could give one of them extra use to cut down on the amount of HMs you need. Or maybe they could make it so you don't need to know the move to use it outside of battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  9. #3284
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Go away, why do you care?
    Posts
    8,084

    Default

    I don't mind HMs and kind of like them for puzzle purposes as long as their battle effects are good. Like Strength, Rock Climb, Surf, and Fly.

    Defog is the stupidest HM ever created though.

  10. #3285
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    Defog is the stupidest HM ever created though. [/size][/font]
    Yeah, that and Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  11. #3286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Yeah, that and Flash.
    I liked Flash...I admit I was an accuracy hack abuser for a bit. They did make it harder to get through dark places though in gen 5

  12. #3287
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I liked Flash...I admit I was an accuracy hack abuser for a bit. They did make it harder to get through dark places though in gen 5
    Outside of battle it's pretty useless, though. You can get through the game without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  13. #3288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Outside of battle it's pretty useless, though. You can get through the game without it.
    Definitely. I'm pretty sure that's why it's a TM now. I think Cut is the next to go.

  14. #3289
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Go away, why do you care?
    Posts
    8,084

    Default

    Flash is also a bit stupid, but lighting up caves sounds like a much more needed tool than GETTING RID OF FOG

  15. #3290
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Definitely. I'm pretty sure that's why it's a TM now. I think Cut is the next to go.
    Nah, because if they were to place a tree in the middle of the road, you'd need it to get through. Cut can be used for more than just items, but it depends on the area. Take Ilex Forest for instance, without Cut you'd never be able to get from one end to the other. No, anything that clears an obstacle is inherently useful. With that in mind, I think if any HM is going to be removed, it's Fly. You don't use that for anything but instant transportation, you don't really need it technically. They should either downgrade it to a TM or give it an extra use that allows it to be used to clear an obstacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  16. #3291
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Go away, why do you care?
    Posts
    8,084

    Default

    I never put Cut on one of my main team

  17. #3292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I think if any HM is going to be removed, it's Fly. You don't use that for anything but instant transportation, you don't really need it technically. They should either downgrade it to a TM or give it an extra use that allows it to be used to clear an obstacle.
    I use Fly in battle. I think its good. The only downside is that it's a 2 turn move.

    I agree Cut is important in some instances, but its starting to see almost as much use as Flash these days.

  18. #3293
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,942

    Default

    If Cut insists on staying a HM it needs a severe buff to it
    Make it lower defense
    Make it stronger
    Make it a Fury Cutter clone
    Give it a high crit ratio
    Change its typing

    Give it something, anything to make it not-terrible.
    Even the items you get access to are horrible

  19. #3294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    If Cut insists on staying a HM it needs a severe buff to it
    Make it lower defense
    Make it stronger
    Make it a Fury Cutter clone
    Give it a high crit ratio
    Change its typing

    Give it something, anything to make it not-terrible.
    Even the items you get access to are horrible
    Esp. in Gen 5. It has no purpose during the story like it did in the past where you had to have it

  20. #3295
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    If Cut insists on staying a HM it needs a severe buff to it
    Make it lower defense
    Make it stronger
    Make it a Fury Cutter clone
    Give it a high crit ratio
    Change its typing

    Give it something, anything to make it not-terrible.
    Even the items you get access to are horrible
    That won't really help make it useful outside of battle, which is arguably more important. What do you think they can do to make Cut useful outside of battle?

    I think there's several things they could do. They could bring back the ability to cut grass like you could in the older games. They could also make it so Cut can cut through more than just skinny trees. Logs, vines, rope, etc. Maybe they could do the same thing with other HMs like Strength and Rock Smash, maybe even combining them. For instance, let's say there's a giant log in the way. In order to get rid of it, you'd need to use Cut to slice it into pieces, then use Strength to roll them away. Stuff like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Esp. in Gen 5. It has no purpose during the story like it did in the past where you had to have it
    Again, that's because they specifically designed it that way, so HM obstacles weren't in your way as you progress through the game. That doesn't make them useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  21. #3296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Again, that's because they specifically designed it that way, so HM obstacles weren't in your way as you progress through the game. That doesn't make them useless.
    I think it's a matter of opinion whether it's useless or not. To me, it's useless

  22. #3297
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,942

    Default

    Who cares if Cut isn't more useful outside battle? It cuts down obstacles, the only way to "improve" that is to add more Cut Trees to areas for more goodies and junk.
    But if they do that the point is if the thing has to be in my party (you know in order to get through areas, create short cuts, access side areas WHATEVER), the move itself should be useful.

    Surf is an amazing move, Strength is a good hold over until you can get Return to full power, Fly has been buffed to be somewhat usable in-game, Waterfall is physical surf
    Flash at least reduced Accuracy and Defog had....some...form...of use I guess. Rock Smash at least reduced defense commonly enough. Rock Climb dealt ok damage and could confuse

    Whirlpool was only a HM once so it can get a pass on being terrible

    Cut has nothing going for it whatsoever. It is pure dead weight

  23. #3298
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I think there's several things they could do. They could bring back the ability to cut grass like you could in the older games. They could also make it so Cut can cut through more than just skinny trees. Logs, vines, rope, etc. Maybe they could do the same thing with other HMs like Strength and Rock Smash, maybe even combining them. For instance, let's say there's a giant log in the way. In order to get rid of it, you'd need to use Cut to slice it into pieces, then use Strength to roll them away. Stuff like that.
    This is definitely a way to increase the usefulness of HM's outside of battle; it sound a lot like Golden Sun puzzles, actually. It makes it so a move isn't completely useless after using it to clear one obstacle needed to progress. Of course, that doesn't help Cut become a useful battle move any way whatsoever.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia



  24. #3299
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    Who cares if Cut isn't more useful outside battle? It cuts down obstacles, the only way to "improve" that is to add more Cut Trees to areas for more goodies and junk.
    It's more than that. If all Cut is used for is random items, it's less useful. It'd be less worth it to teach your party Pokemon or get out your HM slave for a few random items. But if they put something more there, like exclusive Pokemon (either through otherwise inaccessible Grass, an overworld encounter, or something else), access to a new area (I like that they made it so you don't need HMs as much in the main storyline, but maybe they could use it to block optional areas) , or something else, then there's more incentive to use it. That being said, I'd love to see HMs gain more versatility.

    As for their use in battle, I agree that Cut could use something more, but I can't figure out what. I also think that if Rock Smash becomes an HM, it needs to be powered up. Like, no less than base 50 damage.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 18th October 2012 at 3:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  25. #3300
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Make HMs Key Items Game Freak. Do it. Or Field Abilities.

Page 132 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •