Page 151 of 157 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 3908

Thread: Unova Region Discussion/Speculation Thread [Read First Post]

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I can see them doing version exclusive storyline paths (although it would probably amount to something like "go either left or right at this fork in the path" or something like that), but the region would probably have to be designed around that decision. They can almost get away with it in Unova due to its symmetrical design, but it doesn't quite work out because of how certain areas important to the storyline are placed.
    I'd definitely agree with the fact that different region paths based on version would have to be the primary design factor when designing that region.

In fact, I don't think it'd work, either. Even if one assumes for a second that the left part of the hexagon and the right part of the hexagon have the same things, they wouldn't be encountered at the same time, which would make one version inherently at a disadvantage compared to the other version. For example, if the right half's Chargestone Cave were put between Undella and Lacunosa, it wouldn't really work, because by the time you're at Undella Town in one game, you wouldn't have encountered the Electric-type Pokémon that you would've otherwise encountered.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    In fact, I don't think it'd work, either. Even if one assumes for a second that the left part of the hexagon and the right part of the hexagon have the same things, they wouldn't be encountered at the same time, which would make one version inherently at a disadvantage compared to the other version. For example, if the right half's Chargestone Cave were put between Undella and Lacunosa, it wouldn't really work, because by the time you're at Undella Town in one game, you wouldn't have encountered the Electric-type Pokémon that you would've otherwise encountered.
    They could probably get away with it, they just need to take into account when you need each Pokemon and adjust the design and distribution accordingly. For instance, let's say you go through the left half of the hexagon earlier in Black 2, and as a result you fight Skyla earlier as well. Since Chargestone Cave has plenty of Pokemon that you can use against Skyla, it's right where it needs to be. Sure, Black 2 gets many of those Pokemon earlier, but it also needs many of those Pokemon earlier, and as long as the Pokemon in it are available at a reasonable point in the game. The problem with changing the storyline path is that the Pokemon placement is designed with the original path in mind, the Pokemon distribution has to be altered to accommodate the new path and make sure the locations are still reasonable, and that you have enough options to suit the storyline's need (particular in regards to upcoming gym leader battles). And with version exclusive paths, you need to make sure the distribution is reasonable for both paths. This would require careful design and planning, we've already seen what can go wrong if they mess it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

They could probably get away with it, they just need to take into account when you need each Pokemon and adjust the design and distribution accordingly. For instance, let's say you go through the left half of the hexagon earlier in Black 2, and as a result you fight Skyla earlier as well. Since Chargestone Cave has plenty of Pokemon that you can use against Skyla, it's right where it needs to be. Sure, Black 2 gets many of those Pokemon earlier, but it also needs many of those Pokemon earlier, and as long as the Pokemon in it are available at a reasonable point in the game. The problem with changing the storyline path is that the Pokemon placement is designed with the original path in mind, the Pokemon distribution has to be altered to accommodate the new path and make sure the locations are still reasonable, and that you have enough options to suit the storyline's need (particular in regards to upcoming gym leader battles). And with version exclusive paths, you need to make sure the distribution is reasonable for both paths. This would require careful design and planning, we've already seen what can go wrong if they mess it up.
    I definitely see where you're coming from with that. I'm just worried that the experience yield of the Pokémon on one side makes one version have an advantage over the other version.

But then again, if this were put in a future game, maybe the Pokémon would have the same experience yield to account for this fork-in-the-road style of gameplay.

I definitely see where you're coming from with that. I'm just worried that the experience yield of the Pokémon on one side makes one version have an advantage over the other version.

But then again, if this were put in a future game, maybe the Pokémon would have the same experience yield to account for this fork-in-the-road style of gameplay.
    Experience yield shouldn't be too much of an issue anyway.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Experience yield shouldn't be too much of an issue anyway.
    I just fear that if the experience yield favored one version more than the next that either one version would have a significantly easier time beating gym leaders, or that the gym leaders' levels wouldn't be symmetrical between the two games. :/

I just fear that if the experience yield favored one version more than the next that either one version would have a significantly easier time beating gym leaders, or that the gym leaders' levels wouldn't be symmetrical between the two games. :/
    That won't be an issue. They don't have to have symmetrical levels between versions, just whatever would be reasonable for that point in the game.

That won't be an issue. They don't have to have symmetrical levels between versions, just whatever would be reasonable for that point in the game.
    Could you please create an example of your region design. Start/Middle/End (any details that prove vital)?

I think if we have a visual of some sort, we can discuss the holes more clearly

It's not really a vital issue that would make the idea not work and fall apart, but personally I just like to retain level symmetry. (:

I haven't found a topic for Unova Link or the key system. But lets say my friend completed Black 2 and I just started White 2. I want the challenge key so he sends it. Now I have the challenge key and I haven't defeated the elite four, can I send the challenge key to someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Foyboy View Post
    I haven't found a topic for Unova Link or the key system. But lets say my friend completed Black 2 and I just started White 2. I want the challenge key so he sends it. Now I have the challenge key and I haven't defeated the elite four, can I send the challenge key to someone else?
    Unfortunately no, pretty much all your friend did was unlock the lock on your game, not give you the Key.

I prefer keeping the Pokemon levels how they are for future games. It really makes training Pokemon a lot easier.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

I hope the next region is both more open ended and not very HM dependent.

I would love the next region to be more non-linear than Unova and have more Surf routes.
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I hope the next region is both more open ended and not very HM dependent.
    Unova isn't HM dependent at all. You need HMs no more than twice in both games.

The only HM you NEED is Strength.

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post
    The only HM you NEED is Strength.
    No, you need Surf as well. And in BW1, all you need is Cut.

Forgot about the Frigate lol.

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

I hope that one day they will make the Trees you chop down w/ Cut stay cut down much like the boulders w/ Strength.

On top of that, make the areas accessible w/ Cut more worth it and have better items.

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I hope that one day they will make the Trees you chop down w/ Cut stay cut down much like the boulders w/ Strength.

On top of that, make the areas accessible w/ Cut more worth it and have better items.
    Amen to that. HM Cut is slowly becoming more obsolete like Rock Smash did. In Kanto those trees were everywhere. Towns/cities, most routes and even the way to one or two gyms were blocked by Cut trees. Now there occasionally seen in early Routes and Forest areas, but otherwise they're nonexistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Meanwhile, the number of ridiculous roadblocks continues to grow exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Meanwhile, the number of ridiculous roadblocks continues to grow exponentially.
    I think they are good, but I just think they need to be more worth the effort

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    Amen to that. HM Cut is slowly becoming more obsolete like Rock Smash did. In Kanto those trees were everywhere. Towns/cities, most routes and even the way to one or two gyms were blocked by Cut trees. Now there occasionally seen in early Routes and Forest areas, but otherwise they're nonexistent.
    The problem is that Cut doesn't have much use anymore. Its simply there to remove an obstacle and that's it. Compare that to the more commonly seen ones and you'll see why:

-Surf and Dive create new mediums for transportation, exploration, and catching Pokemon (Fly does the same thing in terms of transportation, but is useless because it does nothing for exploration)
    -Strength adds a puzzle element, plus in its current implementation is useful for restricting passages until a certain point in the storyline

Actually, I'd say Waterfall is starting to get useless, too. It's merely an obstacle and nothing else. Heck, even HGSS Whirlpool is more useful, because its most recent implementation is useful for mazes (too bad that potential was never realized in HGSS).

They need to figure out how to make them more interesting out in the field. Also, I think they all need to be more useful as battle moves, that way they're something that you'd want to teach your team members instead of loading them on an HM slave.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 12th November 2012 at 9:35 PM.

I think they are good, but I just think they need to be more worth the effort
    how is progressing with the story not "worth the effort"

The problem is that Cut doesn't have much use anymore. Its simply there to remove an obstacle and that's it.
    Considering the recent fates of Flash and Rock Smash, it's entirely possible that Cut may be removed as an HM and simply used as a TM, if at all. Its use has declined to the point where it's not necessary to have much of the time, and deleting it from a Pokemon couldn't get you permanently stuck in any situations, given that TMs are now infinitely resuable and every evolution of Cut-learning Pokemon also learns Cut.

Of course, trivializing Cut just means one or two more obligatory roadblocks for the fanbase to b!tch about.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    how is progressing with the story not "worth the effort"
    That is always an exception. But outside of the story itself, the items and areas they lead to just don't seem worth going out of your way to get

That is always an exception. But outside of the story itself, the items and areas they lead to just don't seem worth going out of your way to get
    Necessary roadblocks by nature are always story or plot related.

Page 151 of 157 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155 ... LastLast