Page 158 of 163 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4051

Thread: Expanded Pokedex Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

  1. #3926
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I think they did this to promote trading through other games and not isolate players to only playing BW/BW2
    But there are still plenty of Pokemon that aren't available in any of them. Pikachu, for example. You can't catch it anywhere in BW1 or BW2, the Dream World, Dream Radar, or anywhere universally available. The only way to get it without Poketransfer is from one of two events that never made it to the West. Unown is another one, and I don't think people will be very happy to Poketransfer or trade for 28 different forms of Unown. There's also all of the past gen starters and a few of the past gen legendaries. There's no reason to make post game BW2 so barren of National Dex Pokemon when there's still plenty of them that are difficult or impossible to catch in 5th gen.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  2. #3927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    But there are still plenty of Pokemon that aren't available in any of them. Pikachu, for example. You can't catch it anywhere in BW1 or BW2, the Dream World, Dream Radar, or anywhere universally available. The only way to get it without Poketransfer is from one of two events that never made it to the West. Unown is another one, and I don't think people will be very happy to Poketransfer or trade for 28 different forms of Unown. There's also all of the past gen starters and a few of the past gen legendaries. There's no reason to make post game BW2 so barren of National Dex Pokemon when there's still plenty of them that are difficult or impossible to catch in 5th gen.
    Well I think the PokeTransfer is the key concept mention here.

    I think they were really trying to push it's utilization and the use of the GTS

  3. #3928
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Well I think the PokeTransfer is the key concept mention here.

    I think they were really trying to push it's utilization and the use of the GTS
    Poketransfer is kind of unfair to force on people. You can't expect everyone to have two DS's.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  4. #3929
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Skyship Palidor
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Well the two reasons you mentioned would be rectified by a re-release of RSE, although that's just my hunch. In fact this generation hasn't even had a Safari Zone-type area yet; perhaps those Pokémon not available in both regions will be available there.


    Anyone saying Red is a good trainer please explain to me how he can have a Jolteon get OHKO'ed by a Thunderbolt. From a Rhyhorn.

    Proud owner of an English Unnerve Mewtwo.

    I'm currently in Sinnoh and Johto-Kanto at the moment. If you want to do a trade, notify me when as I won't be online in Kalos (Gen VI).

  5. #3930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Poketransfer is kind of unfair to force on people. You can't expect everyone to have two DS's.
    It's Game Freak.

    They expect you to be able to pass by __ amount of people to utilize the infrared feature as well.

    The fact is they will always try to push you to use such things to obtain Pokemon that aren't available.

  6. #3931
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaby View Post
    Well the two reasons you mentioned would be rectified by a re-release of RSE, although that's just my hunch. In fact this generation hasn't even had a Safari Zone-type area yet; perhaps those Pokémon not available in both regions will be available there.
    I don't think they're making another main series 5th gen game. We're two years into 5th gen, and most generations last about 3-4 years, plus I think they want to move on to 3DS ASAP. I think the only way they're going to add in more Pokemon is through the DW or other add ons like the Dream Radar.

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    It's Game Freak.

    They expect you to be able to pass by __ amount of people to utilize the infrared feature as well.

    The fact is they will always try to push you to use such things to obtain Pokemon that aren't available.
    True, they do seem to be a bit out of touch with the fanbase. I don't mind Pokemon's interactivity, but they should tone it down to a more reasonable level.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  7. #3932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    True, they do seem to be a bit out of touch with the fanbase. I don't mind Pokemon's interactivity, but they should tone it down to a more reasonable level.
    I don't mind what they do as much when it comes to obtaining Pokemon. But when it comes to features that promote interactivity w/ other DS's just to interact, having little to no effect on the game, that's where I think I get disconnected with the whole thing.

  8. #3933
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I don't mind what they do as much when it comes to obtaining Pokemon. But when it comes to features that promote interactivity w/ other DS's just to interact, having little to no effect on the game, that's where I think I get disconnected with the whole thing.
    They shouldn't rely on using interactivity as much as a mandatory way to catch every Pokemon. They have to consider who does and does not have access to such features. Some people might not have any friends nearby who play the same Pokemon games. Some people might not have access to Wi-Fi or internet. Some might not live within a reasonable distance of certain retail stores. Some might not be able to afford an extra game or console. They have to accommodate for these things. Usually they do a pretty good job of that, but they're slipping this gen. There's still a ton of Pokemon that are only available through Poketransfer or the DW, and that's not very fair. That's not to say they need to make every Pokemon available through every medium, certainly not. But they should have more options than they do now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  9. #3934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    They shouldn't rely on using interactivity as much as a mandatory way to catch every Pokemon. They have to consider who does and does not have access to such features. Some people might not have any friends nearby who play the same Pokemon games. Some people might not have access to Wi-Fi or internet. Some might not live within a reasonable distance of certain retail stores. Some might not be able to afford an extra game or console. They have to accommodate for these things. Usually they do a pretty good job of that, but they're slipping this gen. There's still a ton of Pokemon that are only available through Poketransfer or the DW, and that's not very fair. That's not to say they need to make every Pokemon available through every medium, certainly not. But they should have more options than they do now.
    I guess I could agree.

    It would be nice to be able to obtain said Pokemon through easier, more accessible means. I just don't see it being realistic w/ the evolution of the games.

  10. #3935
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwest England
    Posts
    4,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    They shouldn't rely on using interactivity as much as a mandatory way to catch every Pokemon. They have to consider who does and does not have access to such features. Some people might not have any friends nearby who play the same Pokemon games. Some people might not have access to Wi-Fi or internet. Some might not live within a reasonable distance of certain retail stores. Some might not be able to afford an extra game or console. They have to accommodate for these things. Usually they do a pretty good job of that, but they're slipping this gen. There's still a ton of Pokemon that are only available through Poketransfer or the DW, and that's not very fair. That's not to say they need to make every Pokemon available through every medium, certainly not. But they should have more options than they do now.
    Apart from Gen 1 (obviously) and maybe Gen 2, its impossible to catch every pokemon with just the games within that generation. With more Pokemon than ever, its going to be increasingly impossible to fit every pokemon into the games. Of course this means you'll need to trade, poketransfer, pal park, Dream World, whatever to complete the pokedex.
    And really, the amount of people who play pokemon and don't have internet access is fantastically minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

  11. #3936
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Putting boobs on the ground
    Posts
    9,622

    Default

    Also, bear in mind that we don't know for certain whether or not this generation of games is over yet.

    Not implying anything, mods.

    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

  12. #3937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    Apart from Gen 1 (obviously) and maybe Gen 2, its impossible to catch every pokemon with just the games within that generation. With more Pokemon than ever, its going to be increasingly impossible to fit every pokemon into the games. Of course this means you'll need to trade, poketransfer, pal park, Dream World, whatever to complete the pokedex.
    And really, the amount of people who play pokemon and don't have internet access is fantastically minute.
    It would be nice to have better option of accessibility.

    Though I still dream of a day they bring back the distribution methods of Gen 1. The ability to catch all the Pokemon, except version exclusives, within the game was very nice. Even if they made it accessible through limiting Pokemon throughout the time of day/season/area/outbreak, it would still be nice to have back.

  13. #3938
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    Apart from Gen 1 (obviously) and maybe Gen 2, its impossible to catch every pokemon with just the games within that generation. With more Pokemon than ever, its going to be increasingly impossible to fit every pokemon into the games. Of course this means you'll need to trade, poketransfer, pal park, Dream World, whatever to complete the pokedex.
    And really, the amount of people who play pokemon and don't have internet access is fantastically minute.
    That's not quite accurate. 1st, 3rd, and 4th gen all did a good job of making every or at least nearly every Pokemon accessible within their particular generation. And of course those extra methods will always be there, but what I'm saying is we shouldn't have to rely on them all of the time. As for future generations, they need to fix that by careful planning. For instance, with this generation, BW1 had a 150 Pokemon regional dex with a good 100-200 more reasonably available in post game. BW2 had a 300 Pokemon regional dex and about 50-100 more post game. Put those two games together and you'll find yourself pretty close to the 649 total. That means that had they intended and planned BW2 from the beginning, and had they put in completely different Pokemon in BW2 so as not to repeat species, they would've been close to if not past the point where they could comfortably fit all 649 in those two games alone. Now of course I'm not suggesting that they cram as many Pokemon into the game as possible. But what I am suggesting is that they be mindful of which Pokemon get put in which game, so they are careful not to unnecessarily repeat themselves when another Pokemon could use their place more.

    Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Also, bear in mind that we don't know for certain whether or not this generation of games is over yet.

    Not implying anything, mods.
    True, but I don't think a full retail game is necessary to pick up the stragglers, maybe another app like the Dream Radar or a new area of the Dream World.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  14. #3939
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Putting boobs on the ground
    Posts
    9,622

    Default

    As you said yourself, though, Pokemon games within the same generation do share some families. A new game wouldn't consist of nothing but what they still need to make available, obviously.

    Besides, IIRC, the only 'mons that weren't available in DP via some means were some starters, legends, Tropius, and Tangela/growth. That didn't stop GameFreak from releasing Platinum or HGSS.

    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

  15. #3940
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    As you said yourself, though, Pokemon games within the same generation do share some families. A new game wouldn't consist of nothing but what they still need to make available, obviously.

    Besides, IIRC, the only 'mons that weren't available in DP via some means were some starters, legends, Tropius, and Tangela/growth. That didn't stop GameFreak from releasing Platinum or HGSS.
    There's other factors as well, though. Next gen is approaching fast, and the pressure is on to jump to 3DS. Since the first main game on the 3DS is going to be the 6th gen games, I don't think they're going to want to squeeze in another 5th gen game in between. It'd be better to make the remaining Pokemon available through either the DW or some small app like the Dream Radar.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  16. #3941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    There's other factors as well, though. Next gen is approaching fast, and the pressure is on to jump to 3DS. Since the first main game on the 3DS is going to be the 6th gen games, I don't think they're going to want to squeeze in another 5th gen game in between. It'd be better to make the remaining Pokemon available through either the DW or some small app like the Dream Radar.
    Looks like GF is going to make it difficult for more people again :/ Pokemon only available through 3DS features is going to be a pain for people like me who don't own a 3DS nor can afford one so they're going to have to compensate somehow

  17. #3942
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    670

    Default

    It's kind of inevitable isn't it? The population of Pokemon increases by a little over a hundred with every generation, yet the geographical scale of the game remains fairly small. I mean, we do get larger looking cities with the improvement in graphics, but the game hasn't really have much diversity for Pokemon locations. I was rather annoyed by the way BW1 try to fit tons of new Pokemon in that couple of grass patch in the post-game area. It's just unrealistic in terms of game design. Even if the two BW2 games had each taken up approximately half of the total Pokemon species such that we have a hundred or so version exclusive, the game is still lacking enough prominent locations to place the Pokemon in fitting location and form some sort of ecological system.

    I've actually never seriously try to "catch 'em all" starting from the second generation, since I often restart my game a couple of times before I settle down with one playthrough, after which I'll only breed and train a couple of Pokemon I like.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  18. #3943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    It's kind of inevitable isn't it? The population of Pokemon increases by a little over a hundred with every generation, yet the geographical scale of the game remains fairly small. I mean, we do get larger looking cities with the improvement in graphics, but the game hasn't really have much diversity for Pokemon locations. I was rather annoyed by the way BW1 try to fit tons of new Pokemon in that couple of grass patch in the post-game area. It's just unrealistic in terms of game design. Even if the two BW2 games had each taken up approximately half of the total Pokemon species such that we have a hundred or so version exclusive, the game is still lacking enough prominent locations to place the Pokemon in fitting location and form some sort of ecological system.
    This is a good point. Though I do enjoy the larger scale cities so that doesn't really bother me.

    I think they have a good amount of areas available to catch Pokemon, I just think they need to put more Pokemon in each area, which is very doable. They could just implement a more vast encounter % system and make each area very fruitful w/ Pokemon. Especially post-game where they could unlock more Pokemon per-area after you have beaten the game.

  19. #3944
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    It's kind of inevitable isn't it? The population of Pokemon increases by a little over a hundred with every generation, yet the geographical scale of the game remains fairly small. I mean, we do get larger looking cities with the improvement in graphics, but the game hasn't really have much diversity for Pokemon locations. I was rather annoyed by the way BW1 try to fit tons of new Pokemon in that couple of grass patch in the post-game area. It's just unrealistic in terms of game design. Even if the two BW2 games had each taken up approximately half of the total Pokemon species such that we have a hundred or so version exclusive, the game is still lacking enough prominent locations to place the Pokemon in fitting location and form some sort of ecological system.
    Well first of all, Unova is pretty smallish for a main series region. If they made the regions about the size of Hoenn and Sinnoh, they could comfortably fit in more Pokemon per game. Also, you're forgetting that BW1 added in Shaking Spots and Double Grass, which more than doubles the amount of Pokemon they can fit per area. At any rate, you guys are missing the point. It's not about trying to cram in as many Pokemon as possible into each game. It's about using the resources they have to fit a reasonable amount in. There's no excuse for not being able to fit in the missing several dozen Pokemon into BW2 when they're wasting wild Pokemon slots on repeats for Double Grass (making it a highly pointless mechanic), evolved forms for Shaking Spots (several of which probably shouldn't even be catchable), and Unova Dex Pokemon post game.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  20. #3945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Well first of all, Unova is pretty smallish for a main series region. If they made the regions about the size of Hoenn and Sinnoh, they could comfortably fit in more Pokemon per game. Also, you're forgetting that BW1 added in Shaking Spots and Double Grass, which more than doubles the amount of Pokemon they can fit per area. At any rate, you guys are missing the point. It's not about trying to cram in as many Pokemon as possible into each game. It's about using the resources they have to fit a reasonable amount in. There's no excuse for not being able to fit in the missing several dozen Pokemon into BW2 when they're wasting wild Pokemon slots on repeats for Double Grass (making it a highly pointless mechanic), evolved forms for Shaking Spots (several of which probably shouldn't even be catchable), and Unova Dex Pokemon post game.
    So are you saying they should or shouldn't fit more in? Cuz right now it sounds like you're siding w/ us...

    I wasn't saying the point was to cram as many Pokemon as they can, I was saying that they could have added a lot more than they did. And they definitely have the means to do so

  21. #3946
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    So are you saying they should or shouldn't fit more in? Cuz right now it sounds like you're siding w/ us...
    They should, but not excessively.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  22. #3947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    They should, but not excessively.
    Alright. Then we agree here ^^

    I think there was so much missed opportunity in BW2 as far as distribution. Don't get me wrong, I thought the Pokemon available and where they were available was near perfect for me, but the only change I'd really make was adding a little more here and there.

  23. #3948
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    I think there was so much missed opportunity in BW2 as far as distribution. Don't get me wrong, I thought the Pokemon available and where they were available was near perfect for me, but the only change I'd really make was adding a little more here and there.
    I think they should shift most of the Pokemon somewhere earlier in the game. Especially some of the ones that are post game or otherwise unreasonably later. Meanwhile, they should've added in some of the harder to get National Dex Pokemon in post game (Pikachu, Unown, Snorunt, Machoke, and Tentacruel to name a few).
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  24. #3949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I think they should shift most of the Pokemon somewhere earlier in the game. Especially some of the ones that are post game or otherwise unreasonably later. Meanwhile, they should've added in some of the harder to get National Dex Pokemon in post game (Pikachu, Unown, Snorunt, Machoke, and Tentacruel to name a few).
    Inside the Mystery Door would have been a nice place for the Unknown to be. And I have always been a fan of Tentacruel, so that would have been a nice addition.

  25. #3950
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Inside the Mystery Door would have been a nice place for the Unknown to be. And I have always been a fan of Tentacruel, so that would have been a nice addition.
    They "Mystery Door"? IDK what you're talking about. I was thinking the Underground Ruins where you catch 3/4 of the Regis. IDK if that's what you mean, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Page 158 of 163 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •