Just use Skarmory, it walls Shiftry hell and back

Shiftry@Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    EV's: 252 Atk| 252 Speed| 4 Hp
    ~Sucker Punch
    ~Seed Bomb
    ~Rock Slide
    ~Swords Dance/Brick Break

I don't are sure about setting up with him. He have 6 weakness, but only 3 really counts, Fight/Ice/Bug.
    With Fighting Types running wild, Ice moves being rather common, and Heracross being OU, Shiftry would have a hard time in the play. But with appropiate team support, he can be very dangerous, since he packs a 100 Atk and a useable 80 Speed.
    Counters:
    Skarmory is one of the best options. He resists his STAB, and take neutral damage from Rock Slide. Skarmory have acess, and make great use of, Roost and Brave Bird, that render Shiftry useless, since he can't do enough damage to KO a Skarmory. Also, Steels and Abomasnow usually wall Shiftry badly!
    The Black Mages!

Thanks to Flower Paradise Graphics for the awesome Banner and the Profile Picture!

Quote Originally Posted by TanBun View Post
    No. i don't nickname them. looks idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    You've GOT to nickname your Pokemon. They're your bros. In arms. In combat. In friendship.

Swords Dance
    Shiftry@ Life Orb
    adamant nature: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
    -Swords Dance
    -Sucker Punch
    -Seed Bomb
    -Nature Power/Low kick

Nasty plot
    Shiftry@ life orb
    modest nature: 4 Hp, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
    -Nasty Plot
    _Giga Drain
    -Dark pulse
    -Focus Blast/ HP fire
    god you guys are noobs- WHY would you use solarbeam? ttar switches in, takes it like nothing, superpower. giga drain...

Sunny Day Mixed Sweeper
    -Chlorophyll
    -252 Spe, 128 Sp. Atk, 128, Atk
    -Hasty
    -Life Orb
    -Moveset
    *Dark Pulse
    *Brick Break
    *SolarBeam/Energy Ball
    *Growth
    COUNTERS AND TEAMMATE OPTIONS:

Heracross resists Brick Break, SolarBeam and Dark Pulse and can OHKO with a 4x Megahorn or a 2x Close Combat. To alleviate this, one can partner Shiftry up with a Fire-type such as Magmortar.

Shiftry has a 4xlong weakness to one of my favorite types to spam... bug isnt that uncommon of an attacking type due to things like U-Turn and Megahorn being so awesome for their utility / power respectively...
    Personally, i dont see how solarbeam would work (we kinda put a nail in that cofffin last week) due to all the different weather starters running amuk... with all things considered, this is the set i've decided is best:

Full Sun Abuse
    ———————
    Shiftry +Chlorophyll +Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Hasty + 252Att/252Sp.Att
    -Growth
    -Bullet Seed
    -Hidden Power Fire
    -Dark Pulse/Focus Blast/Brick Break /Toxic

Ok, here's a little explanation of some of my wacky choices...I don't trust Shiftry's paper thin defenses, so i thouht the best choice would be a focus sash (life orb is still viable tho)...I like the power that Bullet Seed has to offer after the Growth boost and that it can break thru subs...Hidden Power is a big duh in there because shiftry naturally attracts things like Scizor and Ferrothorn as well as being a nifty fire type attack...now, you could go for Dark Pulse for a reliable STAB attack with darn swell coverage, or you go for the added coverage that Fighting presents...or you could take a completely different route to give non steel type walls a big middle finger by spamming Toxic on them...Blissey getting trolled by shiftry = priceless

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Another great counter is abomnasnow. Changes weather to hail and then it has 100%accuracy with blizzard to OHKO shiftry
    Volcarona does well if there isn't sun,scizor beats it quick, blissley soaks its special hits with ease
    No! Abomasnow will get raped by HP fire or low kick! not at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Potato View Post
    Yes, but it is slowed down by hail, so no speed boost, so a choice scarf abomnasnow would destroy shiftry. Also, how common is low kick. You would expect brick break or focus blast. Hp fire is unreliable out of sunny teams, and also, bronzong is a good counter,bringing out trick room or rain dance. Hp fire is outclassed by focus blast

To above abomasno is *4 weak to fire HP fire from almost everything KOes him..

I wonder why I forgot shiftrys' existance never considered him indtead of venusaur but... he is actually decent even for OU decent attacking stats with a boosting good move with a good ability the bad side is the weaknesses and the defenses but hey it is a sweeper.

Shift the shiftry
    @life orb
    Chlorophyll
    252 attack, 252 speed, 4 special attack (it can be balanced between sp.attack and speed as long as it have more than 530 speed in the sun it is ok (you want to outrun scarf terrakion)) if you are using more special attacks then 252 sp.attack
    Naive or something that boost sp.attack or attack for a random defense stat
    -Leaf Storm/Giga Drain
    -Sucker punch/rock slide/dark pulse/HP fire
    -Brick Break
    -Growth

A sun sweeper set, leaf storm is great to beat something really bulky but weak to grass like hippowdon Giga drain regains the life orb damage and doesn't have a sp.attack drop, sucker punch works against weak priority users like infernape although resisting it can get lots of damage of a +2 sucker punch it is also a back up if you lose a weather war, rock slide... IDK it have good coverage it beat volcarona and other dangerous stuff,dark pulse is a special STAB should be used with giga drain, brick break wreak tyranitar and chansey
    Growth boost offenses in the sun.

Every Grass type set
    @leftovers
    Chlorophyll
    252 HP, 252 speed, 4 sp.attack
    Modest/timid

-Giga Drain/Leaf Storm
    -HP fire
    -Subtitute
    -Leech Seed

shiftry got the speed in the sun for a sub seed set not as good as whimsicott but not as whimsicott shiftry got offensive precense and he is one of the fastest subseed users in the sun tied with venusaur (who mainly outclass shiftry in OU with lot's of stuff)
    I hope I don't need to explain.

partners: NINETALES shiftry needs sun to work well on OU Volcarona resist most of shiftrys' weaknesses (all except flying) and work well on the sun.
    in other ters you should use shiftrt on a sunny day team

counters: bug attacks or in general super effective attacks get shiftry KOed.
    Volcarona is a great shiftry counter it resist almost all of shiftrys' attacks and it KOes with bug buzz except if shiftry have the rare rock slide.
    Chansey is Bulky enough to take most of shiftrys' attacks and toxic/paralyze him and so ruining him.
    If not mixed then you can use skarmbliss for physical/special sets leech seed can be shut down with a taunter.
    Last edited by Ilan; 18th April 2012 at 6:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Potato View Post

???
    Abomasnow aren't a Counter? For what reason? It summons permanent Hail, and if the trainer is a wise guy, he gonna give Abomasnow a Choice Scarf and OHKO Shiftry with a STABed Blizzard. Abomasnow only fail when the oponent have Sun Support. Also, people are suggesting Solarbeam to Shiftry 'cause he need team support, and since he needs support, Sunny Day is The Best option!
    Last edited by Ana_Julía; 18th April 2012 at 6:07 PM.
    The Black Mages!

Thanks to Flower Paradise Graphics for the awesome Banner and the Profile Picture!

You've GOT to nickname your Pokemon. They're your bros. In arms. In combat. In friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana_Julía View Post

???
    Abomasnow aren't a Counter? For what reason? It summons permanent Hail, and if the trainer is a wise guy, he gonna give Abomasnow a Choice Scarf and OHKO Shiftry with a STABed Blizzard. Abomasnow only fail when the oponent have Sun Support. Also, people are suggesting Solarbeam to Shiftry 'cause he need team support, and since he needs support, Sunny Day is The Best option!
    counter= switch in to most attacks safety and KO abomasno fails to switch to the common hidden power fire or brick break also most abomasn are not scarfen= no counter

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    counter= switch in to most attacks safety and KO abomasno fails to switch to the common hidden power fire or brick break also most abomasn are not scarfen= no counter

Huh? I know what is counter. But i don't are sure if someone would use Hidden Power Fire on Shiftry. Aren't Brick break or Focus Fail Blast a better option?
    The Black Mages!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana_Julía View Post

Huh? I know what is counter. But i don't are sure if someone would use Hidden Power Fire on Shiftry. Aren't Brick break or Focus Fail Blast a better option?
    HP fire gives good coverage on ferrothorn,scizor and forretress,jirachi,metagross,sarmory (most OU steels) and get a nice boost from the sun why not use it?
    Last edited by Ilan; 18th April 2012 at 6:18 PM.

HP fire gives good coverage on ferrothorn,scizor and forretress,jirachi,metagross,sarmory (most OU steels) and get a nice boost from the sun why not use it?
    quite hard to get, and focus blast and brick break are stronger, and can be used in rain(if against water types) and focus blast is great against steels

rain can't switch into shiftry. Also, +2 sucker punch, brick break and focus blast will also OHKo abomasnow. Sunnt day support is the olny that makes shifrty usab;le in standard. A good counter would be toxicroak?conkeldurr for revenge killing or resistances to most moves. Aslo SubSeed is better left to pokemon that are bulkier with better defensvie typing
    Guns don't kill people. I kill people.

A few things:

1) Low Kick is usually a better option than Brick Break for a physical Fighting attack, since most of the Pokemon in OU that it would be useful against are heavy enough to take 80 or more damage from it.

2) In the Sun (which is honestly the only time Shiftry should ever be used in OU), HP Fire gets pseudo-STAB, bring it to 105 base power. This leaves it only 15 base points weaker than Focus Blast, while also being far more reliable. This makes it a better option than Focus Blast most of the time, unless you're just really scared of Hydreigon and Heatran.

3) Abomasnow is not a counter to Shiftry since it is greatly threatened by HP Fire and Low Kick/Focus Blast. A Scarf set can handle Shiftry once it's in, but since it cannot switch in safely, it's only a check.

4) The problem with Toxicroak is that it can only safely switch in on those sets lacking both Nature Power (which becomes Earthquake) and HP Fire, since the damage of a Sun-boosted HP Fire is only magnified by Toxicroak's Dry Skin.

Unfortunately, hp fire is an uncommon thing:hard to get right
    Shiftry is never seen in ou tier. More like ru tier.
    Try chansy/blissley vs shiftry sp, and watch it fall. Shuckle counters with sandstorm,toxic and swagger.
    What about skarmory and mantine. Skarmory walls shiftry, bar hp fire :-( mantine is a special wall, countering with rain dance, ice beam or a flyingtype move

Not really. On PO and PS!, where most competitive battlers play, HP Fire is just a few clicks away.

According to the last usage stats, Shiftry was used on almost .4% of OU teams. It may not sound like much, but it's still more than its usage in all other tiers besides NU.

Try chansy/blissley vs shiftry sp, and watch it fall. Shuckle counters with sandstorm,toxic and swagger.
    What about skarmory and mantine. Skarmory walls shiftry, bar hp fire :-( mantine is a special wall, countering with rain dance, ice beam or a flyingtype move
    Getting a proper Hidden Power Type and Power is no problem if you have lots of time and very little sanity. Seriously. I've done it before on a whim for my Gastrodon - took 3 weeks' time. Total. Not on-and-off-for-3-weeks, I mean a grand total of 504 hours! I'm still working on Hidden Powers for a wide variety of Pokemon, just for the right Types alone...

Gets easier with PO and PS! like jesusfreak94 said because you can just set and forget instead of jumping through so many breeding hoops to nail the perfect Hidden Power, Nature, Ability, and more...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Special delivery from 4th gen!

Modest nature
    Item: Choice specs
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves:
    Leaf Storm/Energy Ball
    Dark Pulse
    Extrasensory
    Air Cutter/Silver Wind/Toxic

Shiftry straight from D/Pea/Pla/HG/SS can do some things when dealt with correctly after that semi-annoying mini game to get it to Black and White. Leaf Storm should be seldom used if you don't want to lose Sp. Attack, but can pack a rather big punch, while Energy Ball can lower the opponents Sp. Defense, but doesn't pack as big a punch as Leaf Storm. Dark Pulse, learned through TM 79 in 4th gen, is the best special dark type move for Shiftry, but Speed would make the Flinching thing not as useful. Extrasensory is the same deal as Dark Pulse, and has a lot of PP for an 80 power psychic type attack that covers Poison types. Air Cutter, learned through paying up 48 BP in HG/SS and through shard exchange in Platinum, covers bug types and is the most referred since Shiftry is pretty weak to bug types, while Silver Wind, learned through TM 62, isn't very reliable, but can raise all of Shiftry's stats by 1 stage, and Toxic is just there if you don't want either of the other 2 options. Choice Specs raise Shiftry's Sp. Attack by enough to equal the power of Shiftry's Physical Attack.

This deserves mention, right? right?
    73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Getting a proper Hidden Power Type and Power is no problem if you have lots of time and very little sanity. Seriously. I've done it before on a whim for my Gastrodon - took 3 weeks' time. Total. Not on-and-off-for-3-weeks, I mean a grand total of 504 hours! I'm still working on Hidden Powers for a wide variety of Pokemon, just for the right Types alone...

Gets easier with PO and PS! like jesusfreak94 said because you can just set and forget instead of jumping through so many breeding hoops to nail the perfect Hidden Power, Nature, Ability, and more...
    Next time use RNG it will cut the time in 99%.
    you only need to find the root and you can get perfect IV/nature/HP/abillity in less than 5 minutes.

But yeah in PO use HP fire it is great in the sun 105 BP.

Edit: actually started using shiftry cause I noticed I ignored him I found out smogon have a tab for EVERY tier it is actually pretty uncommon for NU pokemons.

I use the following set:

Shiftry (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Growth
    - Low Kick
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sucker Punch

I have a huge problem switching him in I always have to use him as a revenge killer but for that it does nicely.

I find myself using Leaf Storm a lot it is great to finishing off foes it have a really good damage .
    Sucker punch help me beat lots of psychic types and some other stuff too but I think I will put HP fire because I find myself against scozor too many times.
    Low kick proved itself usefull it hit lots of stuff for lots of damage especially tyranitar and heatran.
    Growth is rarely used, but when it is used I have a powerful Pokemon.

I use him as a core and he have the following support: wish from chansey,drougth from ninetales and for synergy I added donphan and volcarona (the last slot is skarmory because it is useful).

I didn't take the set from smogon I randomized the EVs.
    Last edited by Ilan; 19th April 2012 at 6:34 PM.

Anyway, i would still use focus blast, as it smacks straight into heatran,and hp fire won't work against it. Basically it depends on what you go for-hp for skarmory and focus blast for heatran. Also, you are ruined if your foe changes the weather. Hp fire then is a base 70 move. Not good as it is common to see rain and sandstorm more often.

Anyway, i would still use focus blast, as it smacks straight into heatran,and hp fire won't work against it. Basically it depends on what you go for-hp for skarmory and focus blast for heatran. Also, you are ruined if your foe changes the weather. Hp fire then is a base 70 move. Not good as it is common to see rain and sandstorm more often.
    I hope you realize that the majority of Heatran are specially defensive or fully offensive...also, heatran has identical defense and special defense, so it takes hits well on both sides...use low kick or brick break if you really need that fighting type attack for heatran...or nature power for earthquake over wifi for that precious 4x damage against said heatran...

Next time use RNG it will cut the time in 99%.
    you only need to find the root and you can get perfect IV/nature/HP/abillity in less than 5 minutes.
    Never liked to exploit the RNG in any game. Feels too much like a cheat to me. I like the true randomness.

That said, Hidden Power is more of a Type-filler Move. Not "Filler" as in an extra Moveslot, but to "fill in" any gaps in your coverage. With the Dark-Fighting combo and Grass-Dark STAB, Toxicroak and Heracross are the only Pokemon to resist all 3 of those Types. Hidden Power (Psychic) is inferior to Extrasensory, (Fire) gets nerfed by Rain and Rock Types in a Sandstorm, and (Flying) has better options instead of it. While HP (Fire) is great for a Chlorophyll/Leaf Guard/Solar Power Ability Pokemon, the fact that weather can suddenly change quickly denies it enough usage, in my mind.

In fact, Extrasensory is a decent Special Move for Shiftry. Combined with a Chlorophyll boost, you can potentially Flinch opponents while sweeping. I've found Psychic Type Moves to synergize quite well with Fighting and either Dark or Ghost Type Moves.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

I am still trying some chlorophyll pokemons except the obvious venusaur which I tried I found out sawsbuck is a great chlorophyll abuser more than the shiftry I used it have slightly better bulk and more powerful moves in Stab return and he is the fastest chlorophyll user! which means he is not so slow even outside the sun and he have also decent attack. which means
    if you wanna use shiftry you need to use it differently than sawsbuck
    they also have the same weaknesses but sawsbuck isn't double weak to bug.

After a day of using shiftry I never felt like sweeping it always felt like I kill one then die it can't survive like others sadly...

also both check none agility terrakion

Special Sweeper
    Chlorophyll
    @ Choice Specs
    Modest [ 252 SpAtk / 40 HP / 216 Spd ]
    - Solarbeam
    - Dark Pulse
    - HP [ Fire ]
    - Focus Blast

Solarbeam and Dark Pulse as STAB. HP [ Fire ] kills Bug, Grass and Steel type. Focus Blast also kill Steel Type.

Partner
    Ninetales

Countering
    Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave users.

Evo Corner

Seedot
    Chlorophyll
    @Eviolite
    Impish / Careful [ 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpDef ]

- Toxic
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Swap / Substitute / Amnesia
    - Seed Bomb / Bullet Seed

Toxic + Leech Seed = Combo! Power Swap ruins attackers. Substitute for SubSeed. Amnesia boost SpDef that you're lacking. Seed bomb as offensive move while Bullet Seed for Sub Breaker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast