Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncommon Shippings Discussion

Default Uncommon Shippings Discussion

There's a plethora of shippings available in pokemon, which leave it open for some interesting discussions. Unfortunately a lot of the threads about obscure pairings die pretty quickly, sometimes get bumped and unfortunately have to be closed. Never met pairings are also hard to discuss on it's own thread, especially if there's a lack of material. So any pairing that dosen't have an active thread, is free to be discussed here. This is now your chance to express your love to your favourite obscure pairings. All terms and conditions from the forums apply. :3

Best place to talk about Pokemon x Pokemon pair is this thread. and the Best place to talk about pokemon x human pairs would be here. But I'll let you discuss them here.

Here's some questions to get the ball rolling.
    Which shipping do you feel is severely underrated and why?

I think Egoshipping is very underrated because the two of them have such interesting personalities and I've been impressed by the fan art and fics I've seen of them.

Which two characters do you think would be an instant hit if the two met in the canon universe?
    Last edited by ChloboShoka; 20th April 2012 at 8:42 AM.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Which two characters do you think would be an instant hit if the two met in the canon universe?

I think Max and Mira. They're both young kids, they both like Psychic-Type Pokemon (I think - right?), and one's a nerd while the other's a bit reckless. I'd like to see what really happens between them if the two met.

Obscure shippings... I ship loads of them. For example, I ship Grimsley x Dahlia and Drayden x Bertha. Blame my urge to ship every possible character out there ^^;

Do ships from games that don't get a lot of attention in the shadow of the main stories (the main games, Special manga, and anime) count?

I wanna know if anyone has ships from any of the Pokemon Ranger games, or from Colosseum or XD. C: I guess I'll put down a list while I'm at it:

Lunick/Solana
    Spenser/Solana
    Kate/Keith
    Kate/Isaac
    Ollie/Elaine
    Wes/Rui

And others, too. I'm also looking to get introduced to some new ones if possible, because... hey, why not?

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

I feel like Sommeliershipping is underrated, well at least here. Their rivalry is a very interesting one, especially since it's about who's the best sommelier and not about battling. I like the few moments they share, but maybe that's why it's underrated since they don't have a lot of screen time right now.

If Barry and Bianca ever met, it would be canon instantly XD They just have so many things in common. They can both be really hyper at times and always filled with energy. Besides, they look really cute together...

Shingeki no Kyojin | Jean Kirstein
    FF.Net
    * Tumblr

Spoiler:- Credit:

I always felt Fatherlyshipping (Falkner x Janine) was. It's a cute ship, especially in Pokemon Special and the games. I see people support it here and there but it's not as much some other pairings. :< It was my OTP for a while. ^^;

As for Anime Pairings...I'd say Flavescentshipping. While I don't support it myself I still find it cute, and it's rather sad given by a huge fanbase of a similar ship (Ikarishipping) and Flavescent seems to be biting dust...

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
    Do ships from games that don't get a lot of attention in the shadow of the main stories (the main games, Special manga, and anime) count?
    I don't see why not.

Wes/Rui from Pokemon Colosseum. I think if there was an anime spin-off in Orre and Wes and Rui where featured, that the pair would get a lot more attention. Wes changed his ways whilst Rui didn't mind that he used to be in Team Snagem. They worked very well as a team and they had some of the qualities of other popular ships.

Advancers Tumblr

I always liked uncommon pairings. From NarutoxFem!Kyuubi to the insane crossover pairing of Dean Winchester (Supernatural) x Kathrine Pierce (Vampire Diaries). The only cannon pairing I really like from any fandom is NxWhite/Touko (No, I will not say Hilda, it's an ugly name). Oh come on, we all know it's there.

As for 'mon pairings, right now, I'm really into RayShipping. Duno why, but people write better fanfics with rare pairings better than common ones.

Also, I've been reading the Moemon stories by Espion of Shadows *Nosebleed*. I enjoy them, lol.
    Last edited by TuGaWaR 545; 20th April 2012 at 10:00 AM.
    What I do is for me. Just get out of the way if you don't agree.

My Fanfiction Page: Shadowman 747

Quote Originally Posted by TuGaWaR 545 View Post
    Duno why, but people write better fanfics with rare pairings better than common ones.
    I know, right? A lot of the fics with mainstream shippings such as PokeShipping and ContestShipping are getting a bit stale and unoriginal now, it's so sad.

Also, I'm getting a bit attracted to Hilda x BW2 Rival, which is totally weird... Haha. ^^;

I think that the Wes X Rui pairing is underrated because its obvious that the two have something going on (even though Wes doesn't talk). I mean really, who do you think of when you think of a certain spinoff? Wes and Rui from Colo. Its sad how there's so little fanfiction and fanart involving the shipping. They make a cute couple. Wes is the mysterious, calm guy, and Rui is the talkitive bright and cheery girl. They're opposites. ^_^

I feel that Jetshipping is a little underrated. There is plenty of Japanese fanart but in the US,no fanart of this pairing. It has a Facebook page and a couple of fanfictions but I sort of wished that it was just as supported as Ferriswheel and Dualrival. And Othelloshipping is underrated as well. The mainstream ships are fun but I agree with Flame Mistress, it gets boring half the time.

Banner made by Skiyomi

Hmm, interesting thread, but it's also rather relieving, you know? There are so many little pairings here and there people would love to share, so this hopefully better be a nice haven for them.

Anyhoo, if you know me pretty well, you can pretty much tell what uncommon pairing I support , but for those who don't it's Mewshipping (Mewtwo and Mew). I actually once made a thread for them years ago that did get quite a bit of activity, but I really, really doubt I'll get half of the activity if I was to make a new thread.

As for human pairings... um... I'll have to come back to you on that one. I have to think of it a bit.

I'll agree with Egoshipping, but I'm also going to go with AshxMolly, or Childshipping. It did get quite a bit of attention when the third movie came out, especially since the two have met before due to their parents being childhood friends... unless they're cousins? Even then, that doesn't really raise eyebrows in Japan.

Anyway, I feel that has some severe underrating going on. I would like to see how it is the two really know each other, and how much they got along as kids. I'm sure there might've been a little crushing here and there that just got forgotten or just went over Ash's head, who knows. It's small questions like those that make me wonder about the two's connection with each other. It has to be more than just having parents who grew up together.

Well, any pairing can become an instant hit if done right, to be honest with you. But, um... hmm, this is a hard one, since I haven't watched Pokémon since it moved to cable. Dawn and Ritchie, I guess? Ritchie is pretty much an Ash clone, she could fall for him. *shrugs*
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I think the main reason that rare pairings make better fics because they're out of the ordinary and allow the author to use their creativity to the max. Those with mainstream pairings are more likely to have their fics recycled. Although there are some exceptions. I remember the time where I was part of many shipping threads like egoshipping, bishieshipping, redshipping ect. ect. I could imagine Ritchie getting along well with Dawn, May and Iris.

Advancers Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by C.Gholy View Post
    Those with mainstream pairings are more likely to have their fics recycled. Although there are some exceptions.
    Exactly. Of course, any story can be recycled, directly or indirectly, no matter the popularity. While there is no limit to creativity, unless it has a freshness to it, every story will have some similar copy floating around out there with different characters and different fandoms, I guarantee it. Though that can just be me thinking that what with all the high school AU romances and journey fics floating around.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Highschool AUs... *Shudder* I hate them. With EVERY fiber of my undead being.

So I'm not alone? Thank god. Every time I see a high school AU Poké/Ikari/Contest/Oldrival fic or in general, any old fic that contains all those shippings, I want to reach into the screen, grab a paper fan, and hit the author screaming "YOU FOOL!". They're so overused, and most of the time they're so ridiculous they're not even funny. There are tons of Poké/Ikari/Contest/OldRival fics out there, and to be honest, almost none of them are that good.

Hey, yay, finally a thread like this!

I feel like Sommeliershipping is underrated, well at least here. Their rivalry is a very interesting one, especially since it's about who's the best sommelier and not about battling. I like the few moments they share, but maybe that's why it's underrated since they don't have a lot of screen time right now.
    Ditto that! I feel like lot of Best Wishes -shippings, besides the main two (or three if you count Cafemocha) are so underrated here. :/ I ship so many characters in BW, even the Pokémon! And I haven't done that since Squirtle/Bulba. But damn that Scraggy/Axew bromance...

Okay, from anime, anything with Shooti. He's so shippable and there hardy anything D: I mean, I can so picture him with anyone on the main trio, so that shouldn't be a problem... Okay, I feel like anything besides Ash/main girl and some rival pairings is underrated in anime.

And in games, thanks to N, Cheren/Hilda or Hilbert get way too little love! I don't really care for N, but damn if he isn't stealing Cheren's rival spotlight big time.

In mangaverse, I guess Silver/Blue, because of Oldrival. :/

Fanfics make everything possible! I try to think of something but only pairing I get into my head is for some reason, Brock/Cilan. What even...

There are tons of Poké/Ikari/Contest/OldRival fics out there, and to be honest, almost none of them are that good.
    I feel like, they work alone in the fic, meaning the fic only has like Poke or Contest -shipping. But when put together, all I see is CLICHÉ! Then again, who I am talking about clichés, when I'm currently writing High School AU xD.

I think that academy fics are fine. It's just that when they contain those four notorious shippings that I think is bad and cliché. I mean, I wouldn't mind, say, Pearl/Sommelier/Ego/Mock or something like that, but... well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zino View Post
    And in games, thanks to N, Cheren/Hilda or Hilbert get way too little love! I don't really care for N, but damn if he isn't stealing Cheren's rival spotlight big time.
    I think this is more because N/protag fans like to flanderize Cheren by exaggerating how uptight he is sometimes, and thus villainizing him for the sake of cheap conflict in the process by making him a jealous ex/stalker with a crush or whatnot. This even happens outside of N/protag ships, actually, and it annoys the crap out of me.

In general, I think Cheren ships that aren't Dualrival are pretty underrated.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Cheren x Dawn would be really interesting in my opinion, as would Cheren x Cynthia. I'm quite fond of Paul x Cynthia after on old AMV I watched once.

Advancers Tumblr

Cheren x Dawn would be really interesting in my opinion, as would Cheren x Cynthia. I'm quite fond of Paul x Cynthia after on old AMV I watched once.
    I remember when I was into Paul x Hilda for a short while, thanks to a piece of fanart I found on the internet. Amazing what these little fan-made things can do to you, huh? =P

AbilityShipping is a good one. Almost nobody makes fics on it sadly. And it's practically canon...

The few fanfics for it are good though. Most actually take Ash's obliviousness into play, as opposed to just giving him a crush and forcing them to kiss.
    Last edited by TuGaWaR 545; 8th May 2012 at 1:04 AM.

I love AliasShipping (NxYellow). One of my favorites Crack ship. Why? Because both of them are look alike(even N is more antisocial). Prefer Pokemon to Their Friends. Understand what pokemon are saying and feeling.

And ImaginationShipping(AshxBianca). Both of them almost have the same character and they are pretty cute
    Last edited by Ludger; 15th May 2012 at 5:14 AM.
    Credit for Spockisnotimpressed's Tumblr

If you think the world should be a better place for everyone put this in you sig. (started by Mewmie the shiny Mew)

I think Egoshipping is very underrated because the two of them have such interesting personalities and I've been impressed by the fan art and fics I've seen of them.
    THIS> I see a bucketload of fic and fan art all over the place. I actually wrote one on my first fan fiction account and got a pretty good amount of reviews for it. I think it is underrated because people usually see Pokeshipping as the only way to go. Then again I haven't been able to catch up on everyone updating. I defiently agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    I think that academy fics are fine. It's just that when they contain those four notorious shippings that I think is bad and cliché. I mean, I wouldn't mind, say, Pearl/Sommelier/Ego/Mock or something like that, but... well.
    You know I actually tried to write one of those with a bunch of characters in it. Like pearl/ego/contest/ and one sided ships stories together. I have to admit all of those ships together make me want to avoid them and I like the contestshipping stories.
    Last edited by couplesupporter; 25th May 2012 at 6:09 AM.

Credits to pokefan#493! Thank you SO much!
    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

SPOKESHIPPING (Bianca x Stephan)

It got a good amount of cute interactions, especially with that one scene where Bianca jumped on his back and admired his muscles. It was adorable. Unfortunately I don't see it get much love now that the two have not appeared for a while. It's a really cute ship; I wish more people payed more attention to it.

Other ships that are uncommon/underrated that I like: Redvine (Zoey x Gary), Against (Zoey x Paul), Belle (Dawn x Drew), Imagination (Ash x Bianca), Ingo/Emmet x Elesa, Shampoo (N x Cynthia), N x Ash/Dawn, Ash x Stephan, Platinum x Thorton, Glitter (Dawn x Candice), Dawn x Maylene, Cynthia x Volkner, Cynthia x Lucian, every other Cynthia ship except for Girlpowershipping, etc.

(Yes I have actually considered and grew fond of all of these)

From the anime, Maylene and Reggie (I think it's called Curtainshipping ... ?) They were obviously friends and I thought it would be cute. I know there are other Curtainshippers out there, they're just very rare to find. I also like Steven and Cynthia (I have no idea what it's called), despite being a nevermetshipping.

Oh, and here's another really weird nevermetshipping of mine that would totally rock, but I'm pretty sure no one else has even conjured up its existence: Burgundy and Ursula.

... I don't really have a reason for that one.
    Last edited by I am Lu; 25th May 2012 at 6:17 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast