Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people hate on Gen I enthusiasts?

Default Why do so many people hate on Gen I enthusiasts?

From what I can tell, as merely an observer, people tend to hold the first pokemon game they ever picked up closest to their heart. If your first game was Diamond/Pearl, you might find yourself more drawn to the game that introduced you to the Pokemon world.

Which is why I don't understand why Gen I enthusiasts get so much hate. If Red/Blue was the first Pokemon game they ever picked up, why should they get flamed for loving Gen I more than the later generations? It's only natural. But people seem to think they love them because they're pricks who think the originals are always better. But speaking as a first gen lover, I can honestly say I only like those Pokemon better because they remind me of my childhood, and the anime, and all of Ash's adventures when I was a kid. They're the Pokemon that I know down to every last detail, and yes, even now I still find myself singing the Pokerap every now and then.

I just think the amount of hate people get for preferring Gen I Pokemon is ridiculous. It's not a matter of being snobby, it's a matter of nostalgia...

/rant

Because its a reaction from all Gen 1 fans hating on newer generations.

Logically you'd expect retaliation from the opposing sides. That's how fandom works.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Because its a reaction from all Gen 1 fans hating on newer generations.

Logically you'd expect retaliation from the opposing sides. That's how fandom works.
    Why does there even need to be any hate? From either side? Why can't people just accept other people's preferences...

Quote Originally Posted by mankeyonmyback View Post
    It's not a matter of being snobby, it's a matter of nostalgia...
    It's never a matter purely of nostalgia. Nostalgia is a lot like gasoline - it's well and good when you keep it inside and use it as fuel, it's less fine when you spread it everywhere and use it as a means of trying to burn everything else.

People don't get hate for preferring Generation I. People get hate for using its trappings - its Pokémon, usually - as grounds to decry everything else since as being objectively inferior, which is not at all the case. Guarantee you that a statement like "it's not that the later stuff is bad, I just prefer the original games for [whatever reason]", you won't get anywhere near as much hate as you're trying to claim. Change that to "I prefer Generation I because everything else since SUCKS BALLS!" and yes, there's a problem.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

You misunderstand. There's nothing wrong with having a favorite generation. I still think that the Kanto starters were by far the best ones.

But there's a difference between liking Gen 1 better than the others, and saying stuff like "There's only 151 Pokemon! All the others suck! They're running out of ideas!" when it's such BS. The ones who continually refuse to consider that anything past Gen 1 is worthwhile and have a double standard for the Pokemon they criticize. Those are the ones we call nostalgiaf*gs, and those are the ones people hate on.

EDIT: If you have seen hate for the former group I described, it's probably a knee-jerk reaction from people who have dealt with "nostalgiaf*gs" before. It's become so commonplace that when people say "I like BW but you can't beat the originals" they hear, "OMG GEN 5 SUCKS 151 FOREVER!!"

So while people can say Gen 3 is their favorite and nobody will bat an eye, people who say Gen 1 is their favorite (even if they have a BW friend code in their sig) are automatically assumed to be the "151 only" people I just described and get unfairly blasted for that.
    Last edited by Hejiru; 25th April 2012 at 9:14 PM.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with preferring Gen I pokemon to other pokemon. It's when they refuse to even acknowledge future generation's existence and say that the original 151 pokemon are the only true pokemon and things like that what is really annoying.
    [IMG]http://oi44.*******.com/2r2chw2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglychu View Post

EDIT: If you have seen hate for the former group I described, it's probably a knee-jerk reaction from people who have dealt with "nostalgiaf*gs" before. It's become so commonplace that when people say "I like BW but you can't beat the originals" they hear, "OMG GEN 5 SUCKS 151 FOREVER!!"
    I agree though, I've seen those nostagiaf*** before. Just read the comments under the pokemon BW2 trailer on youtube... But at the same time, they give normal Gen I fans a bad name. Guess that's just how things go though... Someone's probably gonna hate on my siggy now haha :P

Well, actually, no. Generally (not all the time) it is the gen 1 enthusiasts who hate the others and it can be annoying the way some of them only bash new stuff from pokemon. But people only hate the mean ones (after all no one likes hearing 'UGHHHHH THE NEW POKEMON ARE SO RUBBISH AND DAWN IS SO ANNOYING' all the time.

"If someone tells me it's wrong to hope, I will tell them they're wrong every time. I could tell them that countless times" -Madoka Kaname

I began with gen 1 but don't like it as much as gen 3.

I agree though, I've seen those nostagiaf*** before. Just read the comments under the pokemon BW2 trailer on youtube... But at the same time, they give normal Gen I fans a bad name. Guess that's just how things go though... Someone's probably gonna hate on my siggy now haha :P
    I think the difference is that the "nostalgiaf*gs" are the vocal minority. Go look at a site with a voting system, like youtube or reddit. Those kinds of comments get way more downvotes than upvotes. Even on the intellectual utopia that is youtube, I rarely ever see a "Gen 1 only" comment that doesn't have "This comment has received too many negative votes" and about 20 people replying to it.

Most of these things occur on Pokemon-related videos and pictures, so naturally most people commenting are Pokemon fans. While most of the Gen 2-5 haters are the people who stopped playing when they were teenagers.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

I agree with the above posts. It isn't anyone is hating on Gen I. But the people who love Gen I and trash everything else just get pointed out that they have unrealistic double standards.

IE: Food Pokemon have been around since Gen I. But so many Gen I nostalgia freaks only say "LOL ICE CREAM POKEMON????".
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    IE: Food Pokemon have been around since Gen I. But so many Gen I nostalgia freaks only say "LOL ICE CREAM POKEMON????".
    Um. Aside from Exeggcute, which isn't actually based on eggs, but plant seeds, which food Pokemon was introduced in Gen I? Not that I have a problem with food pokemon... But your statement is groundless.

There's some truth to that, although a lot of Gen 1 "enthusiasts" I've met have been Gen 1 "judgemental craps". XD
    You do have a point, though. The Pokémon I first raised are indeed the closest to my heart.
    "When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
    - James Matthew Barrie (Peter Pan)

Um. Aside from Exeggcute, which isn't actually based on eggs, but plant seeds, which food Pokemon was introduced in Gen I? Not that I have a problem with food pokemon... But your statement is groundless.
    I'm sure a lot of people could make a case for the many fish-like Pokemon and shellfish Pokemon (lol), even moreso Parasect and its mushrooms. But seriously, there's also Chansey to consider, which is based around the egg it carries. It's even classified as the "Egg Pokemon."

As others said, I don't think it's the Gen 1 fans that others get mad at; it's the downright radicals that try to throw all other Gens away like last month's garbage. I don't care if you prefer Gen 1 Pokemon myself, but I can tell you that saying that Pokemon like Blaziken and Haxorus are crap just because they are a part of later Gens is only an arrogant comment that will tick someone off.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people could make a case for the many fish-like Pokemon and shellfish Pokemon (lol), even moreso Parasect and its mushrooms. But seriously, there's also Chansey to consider, which is based around the egg it carries. It's even classified as the "Egg Pokemon."
    lolol Yeah I was thinking about that. I guess technically you could consider Magikarp & Krabby food Pokemon... Unless you're vegetarian. But that reminds me of that episode of Pokemon where James loses it and tries to eat his Magikarp. Dat **** ain't for eating.

Are you seriously telling me Exeggcute isn't at least partially based on eggs? Look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
    Origin

Exeggcute appears to be a mixture of a batch of eggs and seeds, though it may have been inspired by the "Egg Yolk" tomato or possibly a visual pun based on the eggplant.
    The species name is even "Egg Pokemon".

See, this is just flat out denial. I saw in another thread someone say "Cat and dogs shouldn't be Pokemon". I wonder if they hold the same standard to Meowth, Persian, and Growlithe.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Well, Gen Wunners tewnd to be very unjust and annoying, for example the people who say that Gen V sucks because of Vanillite and Klink and the such when actually Gen 1 has Magnemite and Grimer, etc, as well as the even worse anime fans who refuse to watch anything other than OS just becasue Misty isn't there or it's better than all the other series (which is not true).

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    Well, Gen Wunners tewnd to be very unjust and annoying, for example the people who say that Gen V sucks because of Vanillite and Klink and the such when actually Gen 1 has Magnemite and Grimer, etc, as well as the even worse anime fans who refuse to watch anything other than OS just becasue Misty isn't there or it's better than all the other series (which is not true).
    Exactly. Every generation has plenty of WTF Pokemon.

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Are you seriously telling me Exeggcute isn't at least partially based on eggs? Look at it.

The species name is even "Egg Pokemon".

See, this is just flat out denial. I saw in another thread someone say "Cat and dogs shouldn't be Pokemon". I wonder if they hold the same standard to Meowth, Persian, and Growlithe.
    It's not flat out denial. I'm nitpicking the details of your statement to give you a taste of your own annoying as **** medicine. And btw, Bulbapedia states, "Despite looking like eggs, Exeggcute are actually more closely related to plant seeds."

I wouldn't say there are any wrong with Gen I enthusiast, Gen I purists however...
    What really gets me irritated from them is that they only believe that Gen I is the only generation of Pokemon while knowing full well that there are now five generation and when they say that any Pokemon is not a Pokemon just because it is not from Generation I and that these "Pokemon" have been becoming less and less original which is absolute bull-droppings!

It's not flat out denial. I'm nitpicking the details of your statement to give you a taste of your own annoying as **** medicine. And btw, Bulbapedia states, "Despite looking like eggs, Exeggcute are actually more closely related to plant seeds."
    So you're seriously saying that Exeggcute isn't at least partially based on eggs? Despite Bulbapedia's "Origin" section saying it is and despite the species name? Despite how Exeggcute looks (I've never seen a plant seed crack like the upper left Exeggcute egg)? Even though egg is in its name?

I agree with mankeyonmyback on most parts.

But the fact of the matter is that every person has his own experiences and relates differently to every generation of Pokémon.
    I personally think that's the beauty of it, because otherwise everyone starts to use the same Pokémon.
    (not that this happens too much already on wi-fi, yes Tyranitar and Rotom-W, I am looking at you.)

I think it's the best for everyone if we just accepted the way Pokémon has grown over the last few years and just don't give a damn about people who need to flame on other people just because they don't like particular Pokémon or generation. I mean, why bother? Just play the games. It's for fun right?
    First MM Shiny Hunt Completed!
    After:2648 eggs!

Because not all Gen 1 enthusiasts want to broaden their horizons. Some of them don't know anything about the Pokemon outside of Kanto. My teacher, for example, hasn't even watched Johto Journeys, nor has he played the Gold, Silver and Crystal versions. And my younger cousin saw me playing my Black version and said "Nah. That's not Pokemon." I assumed his knowledge of Pokemon was limited to Gen 1.

The problem with Gen I enthusiasts is that they think all other generations suck, because it isn't the original pokemon or it's copied from the original.
    THE IDEA FOR GEN V WAS TO MAKE POKEMON FANS NOSTALGIC. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE SO SIMILAR TO GEN I 'MONS.
    Generation One was cool and all, but with the new generations, there are not only cool(er) pokemon introduced, but better game mechanics as well, making the game more than just "Pokemon A uses tackle! Pokemon B retaliates with Scratch!"
    Plus, if Nintendo only kept Gen I instead of making new Gens, the series wouldn't continue. Fans would get board too quickly. Not only that, but from a financial standpoint, more pokemon means more toys to sell.
    /rant.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Eggs or not, they're still inanimate creatures, which the Gen Wunners seem to hate on (the ones in later gens, I mean).

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast