Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #70

I think we all agree Heatmor stinks, but maybe he could stand a chance in doubles/triples? His speed problem can be tailwind support, and he could have potential on a sun team with Heat Wave for a powerful multi hit move as well as Sucker Punch to deal with Lati@s, who causes problems for sun teams. Sure, he's outclassed by almost every fire type in the game, plus he needs a ton of support, but hey, we have to say something positive.

If you're on Smogon, come join the

We're a social group devoted to having fun, so come join! We have chat rooms, games, tournaments, RPGs, spam rooms, and more!

Serebii, let me just say that I admire your optimism.

You know what Heatmor would really like? No Guard. With that kind of utility, Heatmor could run a decent set of Inferno/Focus Blast/Sucker Punch/HP Grass or Ice in NU. Its defenses and speed may be terrible, but at least it could take advantage of decent offensive stats. As is now, though, there's not a single reason to use this thing over Magmortar besides Sucker Punch, which isn't exactly striking fear into the hearts of people. At least there's always Hone Claws, which will let him use powerful low-accuracy attacks more effectively and give a little boost to Sucker Punch. Still...I thought Flareon had it bad...

Counters:
    A Bug/Flying type followed by Heatmor. I guess I can take a holiday at this rate. It doesn't really need to be said but Heatmor is bad. He's a bit like Ampharos except he's ugly and even worse than it. He's got the short end of the stick in movepool and stats. Literally the only thing he has over other Fire types is Sucker Punch and Stockpile(and its related moves).

Water, Rock and Ground types own him, especially the first 2 thanks to their resistance. Dragons are also very effective. In fact, if you resist Fire and you aren't weak to Fighting or Dark then you should be well on your way to beating this thing. Watch out for Hidden Power Grass and Ice though. Another thing to watch out for is if see this thing under Sun(in fact this is the only situation in which you can be scared of it). Even then it's powers only extend to powered up Fire moves and Solarbeam.
    If you happen to see the stall set then Toxic renders its Stockpiling futile.

The bottom line is that Heatmor isn't inherently bad like Unown but he's just outclassed by almost every Pokemon of his type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Item: Choice Specs
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SATk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Moveset:
    - Fire Blast
    - SolarBeam
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power (Ground)

Simple, power through. With Heatmor's awful defences you will only get one chance to attack anyway.
    I like a good fight, and I NEVER turn off the power when I'm about to lose a battle. Because of others doing this, and me not turning off, my record does not look how it should. It's shame that the pokemon world allows these cowards to escape a loss.

If more people don't do this, then pokemon battling will become more fair and fun.

If anyone wants to battle, I'm up for it. My Immence Salamences need their training.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Serebii, let me just say that I admire your optimism.

You know what Heatmor would really like? No Guard. With that kind of utility, Heatmor could run a decent set of Inferno/Focus Blast/Sucker Punch/HP Grass or Ice in NU. Its defenses and speed may be terrible, but at least it could take advantage of decent offensive stats. As is now, though, there's not a single reason to use this thing over Magmortar besides Sucker Punch, which isn't exactly striking fear into the hearts of people. At least there's always Hone Claws, which will let him use powerful low-accuracy attacks more effectively and give a little boost to Sucker Punch. Still...I thought Flareon had it bad...
    Even then, low speed and low defences, what can it do? Heatmor would probably best on a Trick Room team tbh, where it can atleast have some speed. But even then, it's Heatmor. Heatmor.

I guess you could do a Focus Sash thing to try and trick Tyranitar and KO it on sun teams?
    Last edited by Barbeller; 29th April 2012 at 8:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    Even then, low speed and low defences, what can it do? Heatmor would probably best on a Trick Room team tbh, where it can atleast have some speed. But even then, it's Heatmor. Heatmor.

I guess you could do a Focus Sash thing to try and trick Tyranitar and KO it on sun teams?
    Stealth Rocks would still rain on that parade...
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Stealth Rocks would still rain on that parade...
    Actually, the biggest problem for Heatmor wouldn't be its Stealth Rock weakness, but its low defences. Once Trick Room is up, you only have a few turns to get in and try to sweep. Heatmor just can't find the safe switches. Granted, Stealth Rock would be a problem however, especially if there's phazing.

It's Pyro!

The Kamehameha Taunt:
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 252 HP, 189 Sp. Att, and 67 Attack
    Item: Balloon, Red Card or sunglasses
    Ability: White Smoke or Flash Fire
    Moves:
    Hone Claws
    Focus Blast
    Inferno
    Sucker Punch

Hone claws benefit all moves. It gives accuracy to Focus Blast and Inferno and it makes sucker punch pack more of a punch. Best used if in a trick room team. Don't forget to spy check!
    Last edited by GirlKirbyZombie; 29th April 2012 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Sunglasses isn't an ability. XP

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

In NU, Heatmor can function as an effective Jynx check (needs to avoid Psyshock/Psychic), as well as a Jumpluff check (doesn't like Sleep Powder). Also, Steelix check provided Sturdy is broken. Heatmor does have a use in NU..

not. CB Rapidash does all the above better.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    In NU, Heatmor can function as an effective Jynx check (needs to avoid Psyshock/Psychic), as well as a Jumpluff check (doesn't like Sleep Powder). Also, Steelix check provided Sturdy is broken. Heatmor does have a use in NU..

not. CB Rapidash does all the above better.
    You forgot Delibird counter.

items that would work well
    Air balloon negates damage from eq. Zoom lens needs a mention, as heatmor's awful speed makes it work with focus blast and inferno, making them better to use,as they are more accurate.
    hidden power options
    Hp grass takes care of water types and other counters.
    good counters
    Swampert,quasmire and seismotoad. Resist the fire moves, and they are all quite bulky, but they need to watch out for hp grass or solarbeam. Milotic is great if heatmor runs a special set. Also blissley sees potential here, sponging up all the attacks, except focus blast.

Heatmor!!! Oh boy! What happened to you?
    A pure fire type pokemon, that got really really really rare after generation one. Anyway heatmor is a failed attempt to make a decent fire type pokemon. But in the pokemon world there is teams. This is the saving grace for this pokemon. What make this pokemon unique among the fire types is that it needs a lot of team support to function well (Rapid spinners, screeners, baton passers, etc...). There is something in the pokemon world that makes or breakes a pokemon, and that's stat distribution, and for this particular case is aweful. A "good" HP stat (85) is counterbalanced with aweful defenses on both sides (66). While it's offenses are high enough to make a super powerful sweeper, it's speed is more than a disappointment. It can have blissey's HP stat in attack, but with a 65 speed it won't be hurting anything. What makes it's so wrong is that many many pokemon outrun it under normal situations, and many many pokemon outrun it under trick room. I hate middling speed!! To make matters even worse, as mentionned before, it's defenses are so bad, that it won't take even a neutral hit! So, how to use this pokemon successfully?

As much as bad this pokemon sounds, it has some redeeming options notably in it's movepool, that although it lacks some good moves, is enough for this pokemon to use. First and most importantly, it has access to sucker punch that let it bypass that horrible speed. Other useful attacks are the generic fire typed moves, solarbeam, hone claws/focus blast...
    It also has flash fire giving it opportunity to switch in and set up in front of a fire type pokemon locked into a fire type move. White smoke is also good allowing it to switch in front of intimidaters.

I never really used heatmor but I guess a set consisting of:
    -Flamethrower/Heat wave/Fire blast
    -Solarbeam
    -Sucker punch
    -Will-O-wisp/Focus blast/Hone claws.

I'm not gonna get into Evs, nature, or items because I never really tried this set before. But imagine this with me: the field is clear from entry hazards, a teammate just successfully set up double screens and the sun is in the middle of the sky (I know, I know... Plz continue reading, I did say imagine). With doubled defenses this pokemon can take hits with a decent 85 HP and then retaliate with powerful attacks that sends opponents running. Pick your favorite fire type move, couple it with solarbeam to make counters think twice before switching in this dude, Sucker punch is for a surprise attack seeing that opponents will quickly aim for a OHKO to this pokemon. The last move is what you really feel would help you the most. Will-O-wisp will put an end to physical attackers while focus blast has a great coverage with sucker punch, albeit the aformentioned three moves have good coverage too. Hone claws will boost the power of sucker punch while fixing the accuracy of fire blast. If you succeed at giving heatmor all this support, it will be a hard pokemon to take down, but it's a hard pokemon to support succeddfully!!!
    Another "Good" idea is to baton pass some agility or dragon dances and in the best cases shell smash.... if you could of course.

All in all, if you like challenge or you like to build your team around some extreme strategies, heatmor is a good pokemon, but it still remains a pokemon that needs a LOT of support to function well and severely outclassed!

Please dont miss.... :/
    Flash Fire
    Modest/Timid
    Leftovers

252SpA/122Atk/130Spe

Hone claws
    Shadow Claw
    Focus Blast
    Inferno

BURN ANTS!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
    Modest/Timid
    Choice Specs/Life Orb
    Modest: 252 SpA 108 Spe 150 HP
    Timid: 252 SpA 252 Spe 4 HP

Inferno
    Fire Blast
    Hidden Power (Water/Grass/Ground)
    Focus Blast/Shadow Claw
    Last edited by Leaf_Umbreon; 30th April 2012 at 1:19 AM. Reason: Forgot some EV's
    My Youtube Channel

Come Join me on Playstation!
    PSN: TehLoneRaZoR
    Games: CoD: Black Ops, CoD: MW2, CoD: Black Ops 2, Battlefield 3, Assassin's Creed 3

-Thanks FrostStorm

With awful defenses, awful typing and weakness to Stealth Rock, a Stall set on Heatmor is as viable as a remote inside a pickle jar (?).

What's that? What'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthat what'sthatwhat'sthat?

AS: Sceptile, Sableye, Flygon (?), Relicanth, Muk, Girafarig

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    He's a bit like Ampharos except he's ugly and even worse than it.
    Ouch. Kinda harsh with the Ampharos comment, there. However, Heatmor may have slightly...slightly...more usability in Multi than Singles due to Heat Wave and Taunt support to prevent the occasional Haze, Roar, or Whirlwind...if you use Hone Claws.

The possibility of using Bind to trap a mostly-non-Attacker like Shuckle or Mandibuzz while Hone Claws boosting yourself can be...effective, I guess...for Singles, though. Heatmor really did get short-end-of-the-sticked, but it is a viable-enough Fire Type.

P.S. Mav-san, your signature's Homika GIF is rather hypnotic to watch.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Funny, I actually usually thought Heatmor's problem's were in it's mediocre stats, it's movepool seems pretty usable to me. Fire Blast, HP, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, SolarBeam, Stockpile.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

I'm afraid I've never posted in the Pokemon of the Before, but I'm really interested in Heatmor. I think he should evolve, and also that he has a really odd movepool. The only thing setting him back are his stats...but Trick Room could take care of that.

Slow Anteater.
    Item: Leftovers.
    Ability: Flash Fire.
    Nature: Brave.
    EVs: 252 Hp, 148 Atk, 110 Sp. Atk
    Moves:
    -Heat Wave -Sucker Punch
    -Stockpile -Swallow

This isn't the best set but it takes advantage of his low speed and mixed attack sets. Sucker Punch for priority and Heat Wave for a chance to burn, both utilizing an attack stat. Stockpile and Swallow and here to take advantage on the advance in HP. I run a trick room team and after writing this I'm interesting in trying to run one. Just for kicks though.
    Black FC: 5028 7872 0522 (Travis)

My shiny pokemon:

Try trick room + Brave/Quiet nature on heatmor. It will only be outsped by many bulky Pokemon in general.

Sunny is a notable weather in the nu tier now that swasbuck and charizard's tier had dropped. Now, solarbeam is a notable option to heatmor if used in sunny teams, or you can use it to suck in charizard's fire stabs, though it's the only move it can safely switch into. HP Rock will make heatmor a real threat, though charizard is faster and can switch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lickilicky.my.Skitty View Post
    Stockpile and Swallow and here to take advantage on the advance in HP.
    I think Stockpile would be better used without Spit Up or Swallow. Boosting both defenses is something quite useful for Heatmor with those below-average-bordering-bad Base 66's it has. It won't help much with HP because of Stealth Rock being so wide-spread, but if you can get in beforehand, bonus.

As for Speed, Base 65 is bad either way you go. Base 50 is a general maximum for Trick Room usage and Base 80 is a bare-minimum for non-Trick Room. Heatmor floats in no-mon's-land when it comes to Speed. You have to rely on both being Paralyzed and getting Speed debuffs for Trick Room to effectively succeed with Heatmor. Even then, Trick Room only lasts 5 turns and being that slow after it elapses is a death sentence...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    I think Stockpile would be better used without Spit Up or Swallow. Boosting both defenses is something quite useful for Heatmor with those below-average-bordering-bad Base 66's it has. It won't help much with HP because of Stealth Rock being so wide-spread, but if you can get in beforehand, bonus.

As for Speed, Base 65 is bad either way you go. Base 50 is a general maximum for Trick Room usage and Base 80 is a bare-minimum for non-Trick Room. Heatmor floats in no-mon's-land when it comes to Speed. You have to rely on both being Paralyzed and getting Speed debuffs for Trick Room to effectively succeed with Heatmor. Even then, Trick Room only lasts 5 turns and being that slow after it elapses is a death sentence...
    There is an item called iron ball,which halves your speed, but it is wasted without dig or hp ground(dig is only if you are desperate). Seriously, heatmor should have earthquake.
    It pulls of a very similar set to typhlosion, but typhlosion does it better.
    Try this set
    Typhlosion wannabe.
    Quiet nature
    Evs 128 def,128 sp def, 252 sp att.
    Fire blast/overheat/inferno
    Solarbeam
    Focus blast
    Hp ice
    Flash fire
    Item/power herb/white herb/zoom lens
    Fire is stab. Focus blast for heatran or others. Solarbeam for water types. Hp ice for dragons or gliscor.
    Counters-sturdy rocks are useful-golem and gigalith work well. Gliscor, if not running hp ice. Terrakion deal hefty damage to heatmor.

Like said the only useful thing it have is sucker punch in other stuff it is outclassed like hell and even with sucker punch he sucks...

plz no stockpile... even with that he isn't bulky at all.. why not use something like torkoal or flareon if you want a bulky fire type?

Also Solar Beam isn't usable without sun support.

really just use scarf magmotar.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

@philzone don't use heatmor in OU, and UU

Anyway Heatmor is an awesome looking fire type but outclassed by Magmortar and even Simisear and is sad that Durant is the better rival(woo hoo).
    Counters, Armaldo is a great counter, resisting everything heatmor throws at him

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Heatmor...uh...hmm...looking at your Stats, your Base defenses are 1 point higher than Emboar's, your HP is equal to Volcarona's, your attacks are barely better than Magmar's, and your Speed is equal to, again, Emboar's. Heatmor is a lot of copy-paste when it comes to stats, but it has a wide variety of unusual Moves for a Fire Type.
    Well lots of Pokémon can be seen of copy-pastes of stats of other Pokémon that they are compared to.
    Heatmor is supposed to defeat Durant but Durant can just kill it with Rock Slide or Dig or even a STAB move after a Hone Claws or two. Again, Heatmor better pray to Game Freak to get something redeeming in Black and White 2.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Like said the only useful thing it have is sucker punch in other stuff it is outclassed like hell and even with sucker punch he sucks...

plz no stockpile... even with that he isn't bulky at all.. why not use something like torkoal or flareon if you want a bulky fire type?

Also Solar Beam isn't usable without sun support.

really just use scarf magmotar.
    Where you been? Heatmor stinks and is outclassed by almost every fire type in the game. We know. However, this is the POTW, so we have to find something you can use it for, so we stick to the only thing it has over other fire types, which is its unique movepool. Yes Stockpile stinks and is completely outclassed, but hey, it's something we can do with Heatmor. Yes, their are plenty of better Sucker Punch users, but Heatmor is the only fire type that can use it, so by golly we're going to it.

Plus, that's half the fun: trying to find uses for useless Pokemon and making bad puns about them.

If you're on Smogon, come join the

We're a social group devoted to having fun, so come join! We have chat rooms, games, tournaments, RPGs, spam rooms, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by P!ppy View Post
    Where you been? Heatmor stinks and is outclassed by almost every fire type in the game. We know. However, this is the POTW, so we have to find something you can use it for, so we stick to the only thing it has over other fire types, which is its unique movepool. Yes Stockpile stinks and is completely outclassed, but hey, it's something we can do with Heatmor. Yes, their are plenty of better Sucker Punch users, but Heatmor is the only fire type that can use it, so by golly we're going to it.

Plus, that's half the fun: trying to find uses for useless Pokemon and making bad puns about them.
    Doesnt houndoom get sucker punch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast