Thread: Dear Purrloin, (one-shot)

Default Dear Purrloin, (one-shot)

Dear Purrloin,

How are you?

I really miss you.

I keep asking Mom when you’ll come back and when I can pet you again.

But she always tells me the same thing:

“I don’t know.”

Then I feel sad, and Mom feels sad, and Dad feels sad, too.

And Hugh gets mad. Very, very mad.

I still remember the day you went away. I was playing with you and Hugh in the living room with a paper bag, your favorite paper bag. You were very happy, and I was very happy, and Hugh was even happier than both of us! And then...

And then…

They arrived…

And you were gone.

Whenever I feel sad or mad or bad about missing you, Dad tells me to try writing a letter to you. He says that writing letters to someone will make you miss that someone less.

I tell him that writing a letter is hard and that he can do it better, and that you won’t be able to read it. So I never write one.

But Dad says that no one can write a better letter to you than I can. And he says that just writing the letter, even if I don’t send it to you and even if you won’t read it, will cheer me up.

And he told me that you’ll be happy because you’ll know that I’m thinking about you.

I want to be happy, and I know you want to be happy, too.

So here goes.

Do you remember the first time we met?

Grandpa visited me that day and gave me a Poké Ball. I told Mom and Dad that I really wanted my own Pokémon, so I was very excited. I never told you about this, but Hugh had to teach me how to use your Poké Ball that day! I was so scared of breaking it.

When you came out of the Poké Ball, I thought you were the cutest Pokémon I’ve ever seen. Grandpa said you were the cutest out of all the Purrloin in the day care center, too! And when I heard you meow for the first time, it made me very, very happy.

That happened a long, long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Do you remember that day too, Purrloin?

Purrloin is such a cute name. Hugh told me that many trainers nickname their favorite Pokémon, but I wanted you to keep the name Purrloin.

Do you know why? Because it’s already the best name for you! I love hearing your soft purrs when I pet you or when I watch you sleep. And your name shows that!

Oh, I never told you about that, did I? Sometimes I watch you sleep because it makes me happy. You look so calm that I feel calm, too. You don’t even have to do anything but sleep to make me smile!

But you do a lot of things that make me smile.

Whenever you rub your body past my leg, it makes me smile.

Whenever you go to my bed and wish me good night, it makes me smile.

Whenever you eat your dinner with me, it makes me smile.

Whenever I see you, it makes me smile.

I hope you still remember all of that, Purrloin.

It’s been five years, and Hugh already left for his journey. He promised me that when he beats the gym leaders and grows stronger, he’ll get you back from those mean thieves.

And when you return, that will give me the biggest smile of all.

Promise me you’ll come back, okay? Just like Hugh promised me he’ll get you back. I have your favorite paper bag waiting for you, too!

But until then, I’ll keep writing letters to you, and I’ll keep sharing happy memories so we can both smile.

I miss you, Purrloin.

See you soon.

Love,

Hazel

Spoiler:- Author’s Notes:

It's the annual one-shot contest, and it's about the real world! Click the image to learn more.
    Userbar made by American--Pi.

Soda Pop -- Humans of Hoenn -- Dear Purrloin,
    Trainers of Hoenn (Tumblr) -- Author's Profile

Images were obtained from Serebii.net.

Purrloin is such a cute name. Hugh told me that many trainers nickname their favorite Pokémon, but I wanted you to keep the name Purrloin.

Do you know why? Because it’s already the best name for you! I love hearing your soft purrs when I pet you or when I watch you sleep. And your name shows that!
    Lol, I liked this twist of not nicknaming Purrloin something silly like "Kitty".

Anyway, the emotions in this hit hard, even though it was all very simply worded and phrased. What made this piece was the child-like voice you had going - it was very spot-on and impactful, and the things you chose to focus on (like what made the child smile and how writing a letter might help ease the pain) helped make this one-shot a nice bittersweet read. Looking forward to more from you, as always!

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | the epitome of obscurity and innocence, combined |
    | letter 10 released 06/27/16 |

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving |
    | chapter 1 rewrite released 06/18/16 |

I too thought you did the sister's child voice there well and the part where she mentions not nicknaming her Purrloin is cute. One other part I thought is cute is where she mentioned seeing her Purrlion sleeping and rubbing her makes her happy. I relate to that so well with my cats haha.

Overall very cute! Ahhhh I keep saying to myself I'll check one of your stories soon and I missed several of them already lol. If they're in the completed works section, perhaps I'll still comment on them soon.

Tumblr | Baygel Bites (Review Blog) |FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

Banner: Umi Mizuno

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpearl876 View Post
    Lol, I liked this twist of not nicknaming Purrloin something silly like "Kitty".

Anyway, the emotions in this hit hard, even though it was all very simply worded and phrased. What made this piece was the child-like voice you had going - it was very spot-on and impactful, and the things you chose to focus on (like what made the child smile and how writing a letter might help ease the pain) helped make this one-shot a nice bittersweet read. Looking forward to more from you, as always!
    Thanks so much! I'm really glad that you found the child-like voice successful—it was definitely the biggest challenge for me in writing this. And I'll promise I'll review your characters' letters soon! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bay View Post
    I too thought you did the sister's child voice there well and the part where she mentions not nicknaming her Purrloin is cute. One other part I thought is cute is where she mentioned seeing her Purrlion sleeping and rubbing her makes her happy. I relate to that so well with my cats haha.

Overall very cute! Ahhhh I keep saying to myself I'll check one of your stories soon and I missed several of them already lol. If they're in the completed works section, perhaps I'll still comment on them soon.
    Bay! It's been a while. Glad to see both of you liked the part with the nicknaming (or lack thereof). And heh, I'm glad I got a cat-owner's approval because I had to research a bit on how cats act because I'm a dog-owner myself. Really surprised by how the rubbing-the-legs thing is actually common. I thought only the stray cats back in college did it hahaha.

Heh, that's all right! Most of them are in the completed section now, yeah. A big thank you for this review though!

It's the annual one-shot contest, and it's about the real world! Click the image to learn more.

Aw, this was very sweet, and as the proud owner of my own little kitty (who is currently sleeping on my PC tower as I type), that research definitely paid off--it really helps bring your character to life.

I still wonder how this Purrloin was Poke-napped, and why--do you plan to explore this? If you don't want to, that's fine. But if you want to explore this world and these characters, I want to know more about this Purrloin.
    Pokemon Moonlight Silver--A re-imagining of Johto, without all the filler.

hey, here's something interesting!

But first:

That piece, in turn, was based on my favourite children’s book of all time, Sharon Creech’s Love That Dog.
    That book brings back so many of my primary school memories, lol. I actually wrote a complex paragraph for my class on my theory of when the SPOILER ALERT dog died.

Have you read the new one, Hate That Cat? (I haven't though).

Anyway, I love how you did this "letter" as well. Definitely resembles the book, and hits you in the feels.
    Team Rowlet!

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingRuby View Post
    Aw, this was very sweet, and as the proud owner of my own little kitty (who is currently sleeping on my PC tower as I type), that research definitely paid off--it really helps bring your character to life.

I still wonder how this Purrloin was Poke-napped, and why--do you plan to explore this? If you don't want to, that's fine. But if you want to explore this world and these characters, I want to know more about this Purrloin.
    Thank you so much! I'm glad this gets a pass from cat-owners like you. :P I don't have any plans for it yet, but I may expand on this story in the future! I'm particularly interested in writing about Hugh - he's my second favorite rival after Wally, and the BW2 games have a lot of material to work with regarding him and Purrloin. Thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by Polipuff View Post
    Have you read the new one, Hate That Cat? (I haven't though).

Anyway, I love how you did this "letter" as well. Definitely resembles the book, and hits you in the feels.
    Out-of-topic and spoilery stuff about Love That Dog and Hate That Cat in the spoiler tag! (I suggest you spoiler tag that big reveal too. :P)

Spoiler:- :

In any case I'm glad you like this piece! It's a huge honor to see it be compared to that incredible book. Thank you so much!

Well that was positively adorable, it succedeed on putting a big smile on my face and it tugged pretty hard at my heartstrings.

Good job with that.