Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #71

Pidgeot was once decent but the year have not been kind to this flying type. Pick any other flying type that isn't part bug. You'll be must better off.
    Playing since the beginning.....no regrets!

Well serebii got one thing right... Pidgeot is defenitely one of my personal pokemon... It remained my favorite Normal-Flying type until generation 4 where staraptor was introduced and for me it outclasses it in usability and overall coolness! So, my now second favorite Normal-Flying type, is a mediocre pokemon litterally having mediocre everything even it's stat repartition! It doesn't shine in any department and is majorly outclassed by every flying pokemon in existance barring farfetch'd and chatot! Despite all this pidgeot will remain my personal favorite flying type pokemon that reminds me of my childhood, the days where I thought pidgeot was so strong it is indestructible!!

5th generation came, it introduced DW abilities and FINALLY I thought, this is the time to let pidgeot shine, I was screaming in joy, Go pidgeot, spread your wings and fly. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo, This pokemon got big pecks... Big Freaking Pecks, an ability that prevent defenses from being lowered!!! I don't understand how they make an ability with an effect like this? Pidgeot don't have a large peck anyway? Hyper cutter prevents attack from lowering, wich is useful for physical attackers like pinsir or kingler, White smoke/Clear body prevents all stats from lowering wich is relatively decent. Big pecks only prevents lowering the defenses!! Not only people don't use attacks that lowers defenses much but also there is no abilities that lower defenses to a switching in pokemon like intimidate do to attack! To top it off, they gave this ability to a defenseless pokemon like pidgeot!!! It's like giving hyper cutter to shuckle! So, as most of pokemon that have 3 ablities have at least one useful ability, pidgeot is from the elite rare group of pokemon that have 3 useless ones.

No recoil please... I'm already frail!
    Pidgeot@Choice scarf
    Ability: Like this matters
    Ev: 4 SPD/ 252 ATT / 252 Sp ATT
    Moveset:
    -U-turn
    -Hurricane
    -Return
    -Heat wave

Ok... Maximize this pokemon averageness with this set. Item increase it's speed to outspeed most of pokemon. Ev investment let pidgeot do some decent damage. U-turn switch you out safely while doing damage and scouting. Hurricane is an awesome move that will always be used under rain. Return is another great stab that doesn't mind weather effects. Heat wave is here in case rain got turned off to do some serious damage to steel types.

Other decent options includes roost for recovery, brave bird and double edge but do recoil, Whirlwind and tailwind for supporting options, Mirror move is pidgeot only thing setting it above other flying types that is only good against ghost or dragon types, or getting some quiver dances, calm minds, nasty plots, swords dances, will-o-wisp, and other good options that pidgeot don't naturally learn.

All in all, pidgeot is an average pokemon outclassed by other normal-flying types but still can be pretty useful. It won't sweep entire teams any time soon but it's not that bad... But the main thing that keeps pidgeot from being used is that it's not that good!
    Last edited by Rayofquazar; 6th May 2012 at 9:31 PM.

Pidgeot, one of the coolest looking birds to ever have existed, let alone the coolest pidgeon. Unfortunately for it, it is outclassed. Horribly, horribly outclassed. Name one bird Pokemon and it probably outclasses Pidgeot. It can do some things in the lower tiers, but other Pokemon will probably do them better.

Standard Pidgeot
    Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Whatever
    -Return
    -Brave Bird
    -U-Turn
    -Pursuit/Quick Attack/Roost

This is the set found on nearly every Normal/Flying bird Pokemon, but Pidgeot doesn't bring much to it to make it unique. Return and Brave Bird are the usual double STAB, and are totally walled by the Rock and Steel types, which Pidgeot can't do a single thing to. U-Turn allows Pidgeot to switch out safely and avoid confrontation while also dealing decent damage in its own right. The last option is up to you. Pursuit nails the two Pokemon who would switch out against Pidgeot hard, while Quick Attack provides decent STAB priority. Roost should only be used with Life Orb, as it allows Pidgeot to heal off residual damage.

Choice Specs?
    Item: Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Whatever
    -Hyper Beam
    -Air Slash/Hurricane
    -Heat Wave
    -U-Turn

This set, while rather gimmicky, is one of the only ways Pidgeot can define itself from other bird Pokemon, as it has a slightly higher Special Attack than most of the rest. Hyper Beam is there because, let's face it, if you are using Choice Specs Pidgeot, you might as well go all the way and use Hyper Beam. It actually does nice damage due to being 150 base power and getting STAB, and is one way for Pidgeot to guarantee a kill on something. Pidgeot is most likely only going to kill one thing anyway, and so the recharge turn will just allow the opponent to come in and finish Pidgeot off. Just be aware of using it when the opponent has a Pokemon that can set up on you. Air Slash and Hurricane are more reliable STAB options. Air Slash is far less powerful, but more accurate, whereas Hurricane is far more powerful, but less accurate. In rain Hurricane hits perfect accuracy, but this Pidegot does not appreciate rain as much due to the power reduction of heat wave. Heat Wave itself is a nasty surprise for the opponent, as it provides Pidgeot a way of hitting Steel Types hard when it normally wouldn't be able to. U-Turn is once again for switch initiative, and allows Pidgeot to bluff being physical.
    Last edited by TheTraininator; 6th May 2012 at 9:07 PM.

Choice Band and Work Up is a bad idea. Do you know what Choice Band does?

Just letting you know, Double Edge is illegal with Brave Bird, since Double Edge is a 3rd Gen move tutor move and Brave Bird is a 4th and 5th gen Egg Move.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTraininator View Post
    Choice Band and Work Up is a bad idea. Do you know what Choice Band does?
    Sorry... It was when I read your comment that I relized my mistake... I meant choice scarf!!

Edited my post... And for double edge/brave bird I was just listing other options and stuff!
    Last edited by Rayofquazar; 6th May 2012 at 9:24 PM.

Band bird
    Nature Jolly
    ability big pecks
    Uturn
    Brave Bird
    Steel Wing
    Quick Attack/Return/Facade

252 Attack 252 Spe
    3DS FC 1220 - 6490 - 8008

Doubles and Triples are slightly more suited to Pidgeot's liking. Heat Wave hitting in a spread, Flying Type's immunity to Earthquake, Flying Type Moves hitting anywhere in Triples, Featherdance being slightly more useful, plus access to Tailwind, Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Whirlwind, and Uproar mean you're more likely to see usage in Multi over Singles. Whirlwind can really help Stealth Rock chip off damage while forcing switches to erase any buffs your opponent may have used. Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and Tailwind are more team support. Uproar? Preventing anyone from falling asleep is a huge asset if your main damage-dealer is being put into Sleep Status constantly.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

A pokemon that Ash said that he'll come back for, but still hasn't done so yet...

"Right Back At Cha!!"
    Nature: Hasty
    EVS: 189 Sp. Attack, 63 Attack, and 252 Speed
    Ability: Tangled Feet, just in case of confusion
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Moves:
    Agility/protect
    Mirror Move
    Feather Dance/Quick Attack/Air Slash/Aerial Ace
    Roost

The basic idea is to strike back at your foes with their own moves. This works for a Dragon and ghost counter.
    Best used in a Tailwind team and with a Lightning Rod.

Weather Changer
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, and 252 Speed
    Ability: Tangled Feet
    Item: Charcoal, Sitrus Berry, or Wise Glasses
    Moves:
    Defog
    Hurricane
    Hyper Beam/Heat Wave
    Quick Attack

A heavy hitter move-set. Do not use this set if you plan on using stealth rocks and spikes.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Ah, Pidgeot, the original bird pokemon. It's honestly terribad. It can't do that much, and is outclassed by almost every other bird pokemon. Seriously, the only thing that makes it stand out is... its stats. Anyway, let's check out his absolutely horrendous abilities:

Abilities
    Keen Eye: Prevents Accuracy from being lowered. Useless, nobody uses moves like that.
    Tangled Feet: Boosts evasiveness when Pidgeot is confuzzled. Useless, nobody uses any attacks that cause confusion.
    Big Pecks DW Defense cannot be lowered. Meh, not that helpful for something that has low Defense to begin with.

The Only Moveset
    -Brave Bird
    -Return
    -Pursuit
    -Mimic
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Tangled Feet/Big Pecks/Keen Eye
    EVs and Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp. Atk)
    252 Atk/252 Speed
    Essentially his only usable move-set. Brave Bird is epic STAB, Return is high-powered, and Pursuit and Mimic are filler. The end.

No Double or Triple Options. None.

Partners
    You're going to need pokemon to counter all of the pokemon the resist and/or have super-effective moves to Pidgeot. That is to say, anyone with Hidden Power.

Countering Pidgeot
    Take a pokemon. Teach it Hidden Power Ice, Electric, or Rock. Congrats, you can beat Pidgeot .___.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    Be good if we got actually decent NU pokes.
    lol. The RNG was put into place so Reno wouldn't get bored.. I don't really think this makes sense when we get random lines of boring stuff like Pidegot and Heatmor.

On the other hand Pidgeot can sorta use Special Attacks and it's kind of bulky.. Probably the worst normal / flying type in the game though.

Poor Pidgeot... It's a Pokemon that's horribly outclassed at just about everything it does. The Normal/Flying combo has been done to death, leaving Pidgeot with a lot of competition. Worse yet, besides Farfetch'd, other Normal/Flying types are simply superior. Pidgeot does have a slight niche in that can use Featherdance to greatly increase its walling ability (a technique I've used frequently on my own Pidgeot) and it has decent defenses. Still, it's firmly stuck in the NU tier with little chance of crawling out.

Recommended tier: NU

Keen Eye prevents Accuracy loss. It's basically useless, as the only move you're likely going to encounter that lowers Accuracy is Muddy Water (and it's still an uncommon move).
    Tangled Feet raises evasiveness one level when Pidgeot is confused. While this is situational, it can save your Pidgeot in a pinch.
    Big Pecks prevents Defense loss. Useful for Crunch.

Pidgeot's best moves are Brave Bird and Hurricane, with Base 120 power each. Some people say this bird is walled by Steels, but Heat Wave (through 4th gen move tutor) melts those troublesome Steels. U-Turn is good for scouting, while Air Slash is more reliable than Hurricane.

Roost keeps defensive Pidgeot healthy. Toxic+Whirlwind can be very annoying to your opponents. Featherdance sharply lowers a foe's Attack, which can really cripple them. Mirror Move is an oddball move that mimics that target's last move.

Double and Triple Options: I use a Pidgeot in a mono-Normal Doubles team with Air Slash, Heat Wave, Featherdance, and Roost. It's immune to Earthquake, but vulnerable to Rock Slide. I think Pidgeot does pretty well in Doubles.

Countering Pidgeot: Stealth Rock chips off 25% of this bird's HP. Plus, Ice and Electric attacks destroy it. It really doesn't take a whole lot to take out Pidgeot.

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Don't Get So Worked Up
    Pidgeot@Focus Sash
    Timid nature
    Keen Eye/Tangled Feet
    252 Spd/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
    ~Work Up
    ~Uproar
    ~Hurricane
    ~Heat Wave

Pidgeot has decidedly average stats, but it's not like it can't make use of them at all. Work Up boosts both of Pidgeot's offensive stats, though Special Attack's the only one what matters here. Uproar and Hurricane are for STAB, and Heat Wave is for additional coverage.

Item is to help ensure at least one Work Up. Ability doesn't actually matter as they all suck.

Bandeot
    Pidgeot@Choice Band
    Jolly nature
    Keen Eye/Tangled Feet
    252 Spd/252 Atk/4 HP
    ~Brave Bird/Aerial Ace/Wing Attack/Pluck
    ~Return/Double-Edge
    ~Pursuit
    ~U-Turn

Pidgeot can also work with a physical set with its superior Attack stat, though its physical movepool is a different story. Pidgeot can learn two powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and Double-Edge, just not both at once. I'd advise going with Brave Bird, as it still has Return to fall back on as a Normal move. If it goes with Double-Edge, however, the next best options are Aerial Ace, Wing Attack, and Pluck. Yeah. Pursuit and U-Turn give it some semblance of coverage.

Item is obvious, ability, yeah, yeah.

Pidgeospecs
    Pidgeot@Choice Specs
    Timid nature
    Keen Eye/Tangled Feet
    252 Spd/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
    ~Uproar
    ~Hurricane
    ~Heat Wave
    ~Hidden Power (Dragon)

Pidgeot can also run a specs set, which works like the Work Up set without the risky setup turn. Uproar and Hurricane are for STAB, Heat Wave and HP Dragon are for coverage resisted only by Flash Fire Heatran (which Pidgeot has no business facing in any case).

Item, ability, you know how this goes.

Other options:
    *A physical Work Up set is possible, but as two of Pidgeot's best physical moves give recoil, it's very risky.
    *Ominous Wind and Hidden Power Fighting provide better coverage on the Specs set, but Ominous Wind is too weak to be really reliable.

Abilities:
    *Keen Eye: Pidgeot's Accuracy can't be lowered. Borderline useless, given that nobody bothers with accuracy lowering moves.
    *Tangled Feet: When Pidgeot is confused, its Evasion increases one level. Pidgeot's only feasibly useful ability, and even then, nobody's really gonna be reaching for Swagger or Confuse Ray when facing a Pidgeot. If the Evasion boost remained after the confusion wore off, that might be a different story.
    *Big Pecks: Pidgeot's Hidden Ability. Currently legal on Pidgeot, but probably the most useless ability it has. Pidgeot's Defense can't be lowered. Nobody bothers with the likes of Leer or Screech, and even with attacking moves that have defense-lowering as a side effect, nothing runs Crush Claw when Return is an option, and the only thing that would possibly run Razor Shell, Cloyster, has much better moves to take on a Pidgeot with.

Partners:
    Wish support and Rapid Spin/Magic Bounce are crucial. Smashpassing doesn't hurt, either.

Counters:
    Pretty much any super-effective move with sufficient power behind it will thrash Pidgeot into oblivion. Cloyster in particular destroys it with Icicle Spear or Rock Blast, though it really ought to watch out for STAB Hurricane, given its paltry Special Defense. Pidgeot might be easy enough to take down, but all the same, be wary of its attacks. When its attacking stats are boosted by Work Up or an item, it really can make a dent in an unprepared team.

Opinion:
    It's impossible to hate on a classic, really. Pidgeot is really cool, but sadly will forever be remembered not as a menace on the battlefield, but as the thing that got us safely across the skies of Kanto.

Prediction for next week:
    Plusle AND Minun (both must be present for they're much like a couple with nearly same on everything.)
    Same thing to say. with the adds. for me, Staraptor and Braviary and Swellow are the only normal/flying types worth using thanks to their useful moves and abilities (2 Reckless fighting move users or 1 Gutsy facade combo respectively)
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I love pidgeot. I really do. It's beautiful. Sadly, someone above stated that it was just used as a transport around Kanto. It was still amazing though. Sadly, 5th gen came, and Pidgeot got the terrible side of the stick. An ability from dream world that prevented it from having it's defense lowered? I cried. It deserves something so much better, and its subpar stats do not assist it in victory.

Potential move set(s)

Basically, go physical or special. Both is kinda bad unfortunately, i tried to use it many times, and to no avail.

Pidgeot@Lifeorb/Choice Band.
    Ability: Tangled feet (best one you can get sadly)
    Evs: 252 Atk, 252 spd 4 hp or 252 atk 252 hp (little more bulk) 4spd.
    Nature: Adamant (+atk - Satk) or Jolly (+spd - Satk)
    Moves: Brave bird/Aerial ace
    Double Edge/Return
    U-Turn
    Pursuit
    This is about the best it can do physically. Brave bird or Aerial ace if you wanna run double edge. U turn to scout and do a decent lot of damage. Pursuit to try and trap something and make it **** scared of retreating.

Special pidgeot@life orb/choice specs
    Ability: Tangled feet
    Evs: 252 Satk 252 spd 4 hp or 252 satk 252 hp 4 spd
    Nature: Modest (+satk - Atk) or Timid (+spd - atk)
    Moves: Hurricane
    Heat Wave
    Uproar.
    Hidden power (whatever gives most coverage)
    Same as physical. Which ever hidden power will do most coverage (ice for example)

Other options: A support/bulk can be used with a weather inducing move, Hurricane, roost and maybe toxic. Its a litte strained on moves that are good.

Doubles/Triples: Not bad, it can use heatwave and whirlwind for hazard abuse, but skarm is better for hazard abuse.

Opinion: If it wasn't stated in the start, i love pidgeot. It will always be my favourite normal flying, regardless of how average it is. It doesn't have a lot of options, but can still be used as a fun, joke sorta team. It's a shame it never got anything good form dream world, or it could of been superior.

Next week: Hypno or Froslass
    I have claimed the deadly snake Seviper, as of December 2 2011

Huge credit to Brutaka Blaziken and PkmnFn for the banner
    This archeops is currently staring into your soul. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Whirlwind can really help Stealth Rock chip off damage while forcing switches to erase any buffs your opponent may have used.
    Do people even use Stealth Rock in double and triple battles? I'd imagine that outside of forced switching like with Whirlwind and Roar, switching teds to be very rare, and whatever is forced in will continue to battle anyway--leaving a Spikes-family/forced-switch Pokémon into one that just goes last every turn and inflicts 1/16 to 1/2 of a Pokémon's total HP each turn--terribly inefficient when such matches rarely last above 5 or 6 turns.

I'll come up with a few paragraphs for doubles, triples, and rotations each sometime later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post
    Sorry... It was when I read your comment that I relized my mistake... I meant choice scarf!!
    ...Choice Scarf does the same move-locking as Choice Band, dude.

Doubles and Triples are slightly more suited to Pidgeot's liking. Heat Wave hitting in a spread, Flying Type's immunity to Earthquake, Flying Type Moves hitting anywhere in Triples, Featherdance being slightly more useful, plus access to Tailwind, Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Whirlwind, and Uproar mean you're more likely to see usage in Multi over Singles. Whirlwind can really help Stealth Rock chip off damage while forcing switches to erase any buffs your opponent may have used. Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and Tailwind are more team support. Uproar? Preventing anyone from falling asleep is a huge asset if your main damage-dealer is being put into Sleep Status constantly.
    I agree with all of this, except that part about whirlwind. Phazing and stealth rock in doubles are both very bad ideas for reasons that I don't feel like explaining right now.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I agree with all of this, except that part about whirlwind. Phazing and stealth rock in doubles are both very bad ideas for reasons that I don't feel like explaining right now.
    Agreed, but what else is Pidgeot going to do that another bird can't do better, especially in Multi? Fearow, Dodrio, Swellow, Staraptor, and a few other Normal/Flying Types have it horribly outclassed. I just mentioned an option that it could do - one used mostly to screw with the opponent's patience (mind games and such).
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Pidgeot, oh how unlucky it is. I actually used one in my Platinum playthrough.

Abilties:Pidgeot has the worst combanation of bird abilites ever.
    Big Pecks! OMG another Pokemon to get this rubbish abilty!
    Tangled Feet! Depends on what situation you're in and nobody will be using Confuse ray on Pidgeot as it is a Ghost type attack.
    Keen eye! Stops your accuracy from being lowered. Who would lower Pidgeot's accuracy anyway? The only time your accuracy will be lowered is when something uses an attack on you which has a chance of lowering your accuracy.

Custub Berry
    -Hurricane
    -Hyper Beam
    -HP Ground
    -Heat Wave
    252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Nature:Modest
    Item: Custab Berry
    Okey the main goal in this set is to take down as many Pkemon as possible. If you take down 2 you are fine, 3 execlent, 1 Pidgeot then was a wast of a Pokemon slot, 0 unlucky. You basicly use the best attack against the other Pokemon and survive for as long as you can. When the Custub Berry activates use Hyper Beam. HP ground is there to block rock types and kill Heatran. Heat Wave is there to kill Steels.
    Last edited by tomjames1966; 7th May 2012 at 5:04 PM.

Credit to iPokemon^

Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    Tangled Feet! Depends on what situation you're in and nobody will be using Confuse ray on Pidgeot as it is a Ghost type attack.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Confuse Ray ignores the Normal immunity, like Sand Attack ignores the immunities given by Flying and Levitate. It's still a rarely-used attack, though.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    Pidgeot, oh how unlucky it is. I actually used one in my Platinum playthrough.

Abilties:Pidgeot has the worst combanation of bird abilites ever.
    Big Pecks! OMG another Pokemon to get this rubbish abilty!
    Keen eye! Stops your accuracy from being lowered. Who would lower Pidgeot's accuracy anyway? The only time your accuracy will be lowered is when something uses an attack on you which has a chance of lowering your accuracy.

Custub Berry
    -Hurricane
    -Hyper Beam
    -HP Ground
    -Heat Wave
    252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Nature:Modest
    Item: Custab Berry
    Okey the main goal in this set is to take down as many Pkemon as possible. If you take down 2 you are fine, 3 execlent, 1 Pidgeot then was a wast of a Pokemon slot, 0 unlucky. You basicly use the best attack against the other Pokemon and survive for as long as you can. When the Custub Berry activates use Hyper Beam. HP ground is there to block rock types and kill Heatran. Heat Wave is there to kill Steels.
    This is an OK set, but is only useful if pidgeot has a high def,sp def or hp, but it doesn't. A better item might be a life orb or wise specs.
    Here is a good set:
    All out.
    Ability tangled feet.
    Sky attack/brave bird
    U-turn
    Steel wing
    Heat wave/giga impact/secret power
    Nature adamant/jolly
    Ev 252 att 252 spd 4 hp
    Item choice band/life orb/power herb
    Nice set. Flying STAB moves. These are very strong moves. U-turn for scouting, steel wing for rocks and ice. Heat wave for steels,giga impact for STAB power strike, and secret power for an effect.

Please don't use recharge moves, they suck. Sure they have high power, but let your opponent switch his/her pokemon to Probopass? Speaking of that, Probobass and Bastiodon both take a pittance from any of Pidgeot's moves. @tomjames1966 Hyper Beam? lol. Oh and dont use fly either when Thunder and Hurricane will just hurt you
    t
    Last edited by Dragalge; 7th May 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Show another move not to use

I've been thinking, Pidgeot can ACTUALLY be better than... Farfetch'd. Yay? Except Farfetch'd actually has better movepool and setup. And is much cooler. Hmm... poor Pidgeot.

What's that? What'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthat what'sthatwhat'sthat?

AS: Sceptile, Sableye, Flygon (?), Relicanth, Muk, Girafarig

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Agreed, but what else is Pidgeot going to do that another bird can't do better, especially in Multi? Fearow, Dodrio, Swellow, Staraptor, and a few other Normal/Flying Types have it horribly outclassed. I just mentioned an option that it could do - one used mostly to screw with the opponent's patience (mind games and such).
    Considering its largely middle-of-the-road stats in everything (much of Generation 1 was like this though), it's best used in these environments as a disruptive support Pokémon. I would bet that Pidgeot's generally low stats was originally because Pidgey was a Pokémon you could get at the beginning of the game, and they purposely kept it relatively weak to limit yourself early on. (Didn't explain why the starters were a lot more powerful though.) In any case...

Double Battles
    Unlike something like Staraptor or Braviary, Pidgeot is not meant to be in the front lines dealing damage to your opponent. Well, not under normal circumstances anyway. In a double battle, a good Pidgeot supports its partner while hindering the opponent.

Tailwind doubles the Speed of Pidgeot and anyone else on your team for the next 2 to 3 turns, not including the turn it was used. This would be the main reason Pidgeot would be on your team--it was Pidgeot's signature move, and while other Pokémon now know the move, they all have stats better suited for direct attacking than Pidgeot. If you build your team around Tailwind, or maybe just another Pokémon, you'll be given the edge in a battling format where going first is a huge advantage. (Theoretically, Slowbro can outrun Infernape under Tailwind, though only with a Speed-enhancing Nature and full IVs and EVs in Speed.)

Featherdance can effectively neutralize a physical attacker. Pidgeot has a base Speed of 91, which is just barely above threats like Lucario or Excadrill. If Pidgeot is partnered with a Pokémon with low Defense, or you're just up against a troublesome physical attacker, Featherdance will slow them down enough to get the edge. If the physical attacker is faster than Pidgeot, then you should have Protect on Pidgeot's partner as your opponent will likely go after the partner instead. Featherdance will hit both of the opponent's Pokémon (unless one of them has Protect or something), so if they're reliant on physical attacking, you can tear through them with even one Featherdance.

• As a lot of double battling teams have Reflect and Light Screen up, Defog would be good on Pidgeot--just target either of the opponent's Pokémon, and all of their barriers will go away. If, on the rare case someone tries a Spikes-type move on you (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, or Stealth Rock), target your partner to rid your team of them.

• And, of course, Pidgeot can learn Rain Dance, in case your Drizzle Pokémon has been knocked out. Or you don't want to use Drizzle.

Since Taunt is also pretty common in double-battling, Pidgeot should have at least one attacking move to keep itself relevant. You don't want to be forced into switching, since your opponent will likely concentrate both of his or her attackers on the Pokémon you'll switch out, and it's likely that Pokémon will faint before it can do anything. Pidgeot's not particularly strong offensively, but you should have something like Brave Bird to finish off a weakened Pokémon or Heat Wave as a general spread attack that Steel-types dislike.

As Pidgeot will only attack as a last resort, your EVs should reflect that. You don't need points in Attack or Special Attack, but rather, concentrate them on Defense, Special Defense, and Speed. If you're using Featherdance, focus on Speed and distribute the rest among the defenses. If you're using Tailwind, place a moderate amount on Speed, enough to outrun base 130 Pokémon like Crobat. If you're using both Tailwind and Featherdance, allocate them somewhere in between (but I'd recommed you use Tailwind in battle before you use Featherdance).

However, if you're going to have a regular Attack/Speed EV spread, you'll need a Focus Sash to make sure Pidgeot can at least survive the turn needed to use Tailwind. Watch out for Fake Out users if this is the case. Otherwise, a Flying Gem should give Pidgeot the little oomph needed to KO something, even without any points in Attack.

Triple Battles
    In a triple battle, Pidgeot is still best used as a support Pokémon. However, because there is now the threat of triple-teaming, support alone won't cut it. Pidgeot will have to get its wings dirty with direct attacking and disruption.

You will generally want to place Pidgeot to the side. Pidgeot can't take three attacks consecutively, even when EVed in the defenses. This is where a Pokémon whose primary purpose is support should go anyway, as they're supposed to stick around as long as possible, and they're not going to attack across the stage anyway.

• When you do need to attack, however, Quick Attack is quite useful as Focus Sash is common in triple battling teams. (This is due to how super-effective attacks hit all the time.)

Tailwind is even more useful in a triple battle than a double battle, as it means you'll benefit from doubled Speed for 6 to 9 moves instead of just 4 to 6 moves. This is perfect for ganging up on your opponent's central Pokémon (or side Pokémon, if you have moves that can strike from an opposite corner).

• However, Featherdance must be used with great caution, as it will affect your allies as well in a triple battle. You should have a Pokémon who will not need their Attack stat (such as a special attacker) next to Pidgeot, or if Pidgeot is in the middle, on both sides, if you're going to use it.

Defog is useful here too, as you'll also see a lot of Light Screen and Reflect being put up.

Roost can give your opponent an unexpected curveball--usually, healing moves are not too useful in a triple battle, but if you feel Pidgeot will get targeted by a Rock or Electric attack, and Pidgeot has taken damage, use Roost to halve the damage taken from that attack for this next turn while your partners finish off that Pokémon.

Sky Attack with a Power Herb may be more useful than Brave Bird, since in a triple battle, you want to get the damage going as quickly as possible and as much as possible.

While Pidgeot could get triple-teamed, as long as you keep it on the sides, it'll be exceedingly uncommon for it to take three attacks in one turn. Usually, your opponent will deem Pidgeot as low-priority and will not attack it with all of his or her forces, so you'll often find Pidgeot surviving turns unscathed. A super-effective attack, on the other hand, will usually go straight to Pidgeot, so you should have either a Yache Berry, a Wacan Berry, or a Charti Berry, depending on which type of attack you expect to see most often. You can also equip a Focus Sash, since Pidgeot will most often only get attacked once per turn, if that.

Because Pidgeot sits on the sides and assists its partners, you should go for a defensive EV spread. In a triple battle, your opponent is likely to have both physical and special attackers at once, so you should be prepared to take them both on simultaneously. Pidgeot's Special Defense is slightly lower than its physical Defense, and Featherdance can cover physical threats, so you should put more points in Special Defense.

Rotation Battles
    Rotation Battles don't have as much room for support Pokémon, so if you're going to use Pidgeot, you need to know what your opponent has and have a good idea of what your opponent will do. Here, Pidgeot is best used as a hybrid attacker and supporter.

• Again, Featherdance will be great on Pidgeot. Switching out almost never happens in a Rotation Battle, but if you can drop an opposing Pokémon's Attack and remember which one(s) you've done Featherdance to, you can safely rotate in to a Pokémon who would normally be a bad matchup against it. Featherdance is at its most useful here, if you ask me, because you can wither the opponent's Pokémon down enough to ravage the ones out, which will give you a huge early advantage.

• Even without the Spikes family, Whirlwind is good in a Rotation Battle as it forces one Pokémon out for another. Your opponent is going to pick three Pokémon who go well with each other. The moment you switch one out with another, the type balance will be disrupted for your opponent, giving them holes in their defense you can pick on.

Roost will heal Pidgeot and remove its Flying-type. In a Rotation Battle, this effect applies until you rotate Pidgeot back out again, meaning you can treat Pidgeot as if it were a pure Normal-type and thus reduce weaknesses in your trio.

• Pokémon with type immunities are common in Rotation Battles. Use Foresight to remove them from Ghost-types you may encounter if you have anoher Pokémon out who specializes in Fighting-types.

• As for attacking, moves like Brave Bird and Hurricane can deal unexpected big damage while Return is more of an all-purpose low-risk, low-reward move. Be sure to have at least one on Pidgeot--not because of Taunt, but because your opponent will try to make Pidgeot your last Pokémon out, and you don't want to be stuck unable to attack if that is ever the situation.

Essentially, Pidgeot, in Rotation Battles, is about creating weaknesses in your opponent's Pokémon in play while reducing weaknesses in yours. Be sure to switch to Pokémon it has a type advantage against, though this is easier said than done.

In all of these battling environments, defense-lowering stats will sometimes pop up (they are rare but not nonexistent unlike in single battles), so you will have some use for Big Pecks. Occasionally, perhaps more often, you will also come across Pokémon who will try to inflict Confusion--this is not normally used in VGCs but will sometimes pop up in more casual play, particularly from Crobat or Gengar (and sometimes Starmie). I would thus recommend Tangled Feet when battling outside of VGCs, as that evasion boost may be enough for you to mess your opponent up that bit more to get them over the edge. These abilities are why you would pick Pidgeot over, say, Unfezant or Mandibuzz, both of whom know most (but not all) of the above moves. Unfezant also has stats closer to a sweeper and Mandibuzz's closer to a wall. Pidgeot's middle-of-the-road stats make it excel at nothing in particular, so it has to make the opponent weaker for its partner.
    Last edited by Ophie; 7th May 2012 at 11:45 PM.

My brother's random set. It's quite the troll, working as a shuffling Toxic spreader.

Pidgeot@Leftovers
    Ability: Tangled Feet/ Keen Eye
    252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 Def
    Impish Nature

Toxic
    Roost
    Whirlwind
    Brave Bird

Pretty much a poor man's Mandibuzz. Toxic something, and either stall it out, or phaze it out to Toxic something else. Roost to stall and recover HP, and Brave Bird to make the stalling go faster and whatnot

Pokemon stuff

-----

Let's Plays and such

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast