Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What abilities would be great as new additions better if they were upgraded?

Default What abilities would be great as new additions or better if they were upgraded?

One day, I was just sitting around with a bored expression thinking about how much better after the upgrades it got (A natural Focus Sash as opposed to protection against Horn Drill), so I had the idea: What sort of new abilities or upgraded abilities could we have to make some pokemon more interesting or usable? This is basically a thread where you use your creative juices to come up some creative ideas for new abilities or old ability upgrades like the one listed above. If you're posting a new ability, just post the name of it and what it does. If it's an upgrade/update of a previous ability, put it in the same format as the example below.

Keen Eye:

Old: Opponent cannot lower the user's accuracy.

New: User is unaffected by boosts in the target's Evasion stat (regardless of whether it's boosted by a move like Minimize or an ability like Snow Cloak)

In this example, I listed what the ability does now and below it, I typed in what I would have wanted the ability to do if changes are someday made to it. There's only a few rules that I want people to follow though.

1. The ability effect must have some sort of relevance to its name.
    2. There is to be no talk about new abilities that would break the metagame (So no talking about an updated Wonder Guard that would also protect against residual damage like Magic Guard).
    3. We're simply talking about abilities, NOT which pokemon they would be great or broken on. And
    4. HAVE FUN WITH YOUR IMAGINATION!

That is all, now start creating.

Old Big Pecks: The target cannot lower the users defense

New! Raises Defense and Special Defense by 50% at the time it switches in

Turboblaze

Old: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities.

New: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities, and the user's Fire-type moves do not get weakened in the rain.

Teravolt

Old: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities.

New: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities, and the user's Electric-type moves can also hit Ground-type Pokémon for neutral damage.

Old illuminate:Raises the likelihood of meeting wild Pokémon.
    New illuminate:decrease opponents accuracy by 30% when attacks are used against this pokemon.

Old Justified: Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move.
    New Justfied:Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move and grants an immunity to damage from dark type attacks.

what do you guys think? any good?

Excellent, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    Old illuminate:Raises the likelihood of meeting wild Pokémon.
    New illuminate:decrease opponents accuracy by 30% when attacks are used against this pokemon.

Old Justified: Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move.
    New Justfied:Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move and grants an immunity to damage from dark type attacks.

what do you guys think? any good?
    I think it would illuminate would be a bit broken. Garchomp is more manageable in sand than some think, but sand veil (having a +20% evasion rate, making all attacks hit 80% of their origionla accuracy) made it truly broken. Now this could potentially do the same thing, but with more of a boost without weather.

I'd love the justified boost though.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Multiscale

Old: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health.

New: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health, and also makes the user immune to damage from Hail, Sandstorm, entry hazard, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet while at full health.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokémon Trainer R View Post
    Multiscale

Old: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health.

New: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health, and also makes the user immune to damage from Hail, Sandstorm, entry hazard, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet while at full health.

id like it but it would be far too broken

Intimidate

old effect: lowers attack when the user switches in

new effect: whenever an opposing pokemon switches in the opponents attack is lowered

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow, Drac Buttons to EG

Inner Focus

Old: Pokémon with this Ability cannot flinch.

New: Pokémon with this Ability cannot flinch, and can also unleash a Focus Punch even if it gets attacked while tightening its focus.

Light Metal
    Old: This Pokémon's weight is halved.
    New: This Pokémon's weight is halved AND it resists Ground type attacks.
    Note: RESISTS, not IMMUNE TO.

Defeatist
    Old: If it's HP drops below 50%, Attack is decreased
    New: If its HP drops below 33%, Attack is decreased.

Stall
    Old: The Pokémon always attacks last.
    New: Pokemon's Defense and Special Defense increase by 50% if the opponent goes first.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Air Lock

Old: Weathers have no effect while a Pokémon with this Ability is in play.

New: When a Pokémon with this Ability is sent out, any existing weather on the field completely disappears.

Air Lock

Old: Weathers have no effect while a Pokémon with this Ability is in play.

New: When a Pokémon with this Ability is sent out, any existing weather on the field completely disappears.
    A definite yes.

Water Veil
    Old: Prevents the Pokemon from getting burned.
    New: Prevents the Pokemon from getting burned or being put to sleep.

Defiant

Old: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered, but does not get triggered by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.

New: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered. Gets triggered even by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.

Defiant

Old: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered, but does not get triggered by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.

New: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered. Gets triggered even by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.
    Then Primape could actually get some use. Just imagine choice scarf close combat with that. Much scarier then moxie scarfers.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

That is very true. I was mainly thinking about Braviary in Dream World tiers though, as I think it would be awesome if it could get an Attack boost every time it uses Superpower, as I like this Pokémon a lot.

Run Away:
    Old-User has higher chances of fleeing from a random encounter
    New-User is immune to Pursuit on top of the other effects listed above.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    "i have claimed metagross. this means nothing. but if you search the really long thread you will see. Metagross accompanying my name." - BritishLanguage

Quote Originally Posted by britishlanguage View Post
    Run Away:
    Old-User has higher chances of fleeing from a random encounter
    New-User is immune to Pursuit on top of the other effects listed above.
    How about that and opponent can't be locked in by trapping moves or Arena Trap?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    How about that and opponent can't be locked in by trapping moves or Arena Trap?
    Yes. RUN AWAY AMBIPOM FTW!!!!!!!!
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    "i have claimed metagross. this means nothing. but if you search the really long thread you will see. Metagross accompanying my name." - BritishLanguage

Cloud Nine
    Old: All effects of weather are negated while the Pokémon is on the field.
    New: All weather is removed when this Pokémon is sent out.

I know Pokemon Trainer R said the same thing but the only Pokémon with Air Lock is in Ubers. We have weather inducers so why not weather removers? Golduck would be more useful.

Guts
    Old: Attack is raised by 50% when the Pokémon has a status ailment. Ignores the Attack lowering effect of Burn.
    New: Same as old but +100%

Will this be overpowered? Because I always thought Guts boosted attack by 100% until I looked it up on Serebii.net

Heavy Metal

Old: User's weight is doubled
    New: User's physical attack is boosted by 33%, but speed is halved.

This thread seems to be getting pretty popular, but try to think of some brand new abilities that could spice the meta up.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Heavy Metal

Old: User's weight is doubled
    New: User's physical attack is boosted by 33%, but speed is halved.

This thread seems to be getting pretty popular, but try to think of some brand new abilities that could spice the meta up.
    Well then...

Light Metal
    Old: Pokemon's weight is halved.
    New: Pokemon's speed is doubled, but defense is decreased by 1/4.

There you go, and instant agiligross. Just without fire/thunder/ice punch.

New ability: Electrofield

Effect: While the user is out, Electric, Rock, and Steel moves used by any pokemon on the field increase in power and accuracy by 20%.

Anger Point

Old: This Pokémon's attack rises when hit with a Critical Hit
    New: This Pokémon's Attwck rises when it lands and when it is hit by Critical Hits.

Light Metal
    Old:User's Weight is Halved
    New:User's Weight is Halved and Speed increased by 10%

Heavy Metal
    Old:User's Weight is Doubled
    New:User's Weight is Doubled and Steel Moves gain a 33% boost

Shell Armour
    Old:User is Protected form Critical Hits
    New:User Is Protected from Critical Hits and the Def loss of Shell Smash

Color Change
    Old:Changes User into type of move that last struck
    New:Changes User into type of move that last struck, and boosts power of those moves.

Damp
    Old:Prevents Self-Destruction
    New:Prevents Self-Destruction (including self induced damage aka Confusion and Recoil, damage from those moves will stop at 1HP if they would KO)

Honey Gather
    Old:User Randomly Gather's Honey at Battles End
    New:User Gather's Honey at Battles End, the sweet scent prevents Evasion from changing.

Keen Eye
    Old:Prevents Accuracy Loss
    NewParalyzes FoesPrevents Accuracy loss and boosts Accuracy 1 stage every time Evasion is raised 1 stage.

Klutz
    Old:User can not use Hold Items
    New:User trades off the use of held items for a 20% ATK boost

Normalize
    Old:User's Moves all become the Normal type
    New:User's Moves all become the Normal type, enemy takes neutral from Normal Moves regardless of Weakness/Resistance

Huge Power
    Old:User's Attack is boosted
    New:User's SpAtk is boosted
    (to mirror Pure Power)

Rivalry
    Old:Raises Attack if foe is the same Gender
    New:Raises Attack if foe is the same Gender, Raises Defense if the foe is opposite Gender

Run Away
    Old:Allows User to flee from any battle
    New:Allows the User to be switched out regardless of the battle situation and boosts U-turn and Volt Switch's power

Slow Start
    Old:User's Attack and Speed are halved for 5 turns
    New:User's Defenses are doubled while Attack and Speed are halved for 5 turns

Stall
    Old:User must go last
    New:User must go last, but moves will work even through moves like Protect

Tangled Feet
    Old:Ups Evasion 1 stage when confused
    New:Ups Evasion and Speed 1 stage when confused, will pass confusion over to foe 50% of the time.

Truant
    Old:Attack every other turn
    New:Triple Attack and SpeedAttack every other turn, regain 1/24th HP on loafing turn

Unnerve
    Old:Berries are not able to be consumed
    New:Opponent's SpAtk drops 1 stage when this Pokemon switches in, Berries can no longer be consumed

Intimidate
    Old:Lowers foe's ATK 1 stage
    New:Lowers foe's ATK 1 stage, berries can not be eaten

Zen Mode
    Old:When you drop below 50% HP you change form
    New:When you drop below 50% HP you change form and gain 1/8HP every turn.

Slow Start
    Old:User's Attack and Speed are halved for 5 turns
    New:User's Defenses are doubled while Attack and Speed are halved for 5 turns
    That's just overpowered. It's already got 110/110/110 defenses. But that...that's insane and completely ruins the point of slow start in the first place.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast