Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Community POTW #72

OHKO moves are banned in competitive. Besides, Articuno does that better.

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    Why are some people putting Dragon Rage? It does less damage than Seismic Toss or Night Shade.

Foul Play is based off of your opponent's Attack. Unless they have worse Attack than Smeargle and/or resist Dark type moves, Foul Play is even bettter than Seismic Toss or Night Shade.
    Because they are using a TR Endevour set at level 1. Therefore ST adn NS does 1 damage and allows it to beat pokemon with Leftovers

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

SpinMaster
    Attacks:
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Odor Sleuth
    ~ Gastro Acid/Worry Seed
    ~ Spite/Tri Attack
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo
    Nature: Bold (+Def -Atk)
    EVs: Split between Defense, Special Defense, and HP
    Maybe in a 240 Def, 236 Sp Def, and 32 HP

Smeargle's Sketch allows it to set up multiple types of sets. With this set, you can use Rapid Spin no matter what the opponent has out. The only other Pokemon in the whole game who can hit Ghosts with Rapid Spin is Hitmontop. Odor Sleuth allows Smeargle to hit Ghost type Pokemon with Rapid Spin, thus clearing the field of entry hazards. Gastro Acid is for the worst case Shedinja, or to get rid of Static, Flame Body, or any other ability that you don't like. Worry Seed can be used as a substitute for Gastro Acid if you feel that your oppnent is planning on Rest or something... for the last move I decided to be a bit of a troll. Spite can drain the PP of your opponent's best moves, or you can go with Tri Attack which, along with getting STAB, has a 20% chance of causing a status. The Focus Sash gives Smeargle a better chance to live long enough to at least use a Rapid Spin.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSandshrew View Post
    SpinMaster
    Attacks:
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Odor Sleuth
    ~ Gastro Acid/Worry Seed
    ~ Spite/Tri Attack

Smeargle's Sketch allows it to set up multiple types of sets. With this set, you can use Rapid Spin no matter what the opponent has out. The only other Pokemon in the whole game who can hit Ghosts with Rapid Spin is Hitmontop. Odor Sleuth allows Smeargle to hit Ghost type Pokemon with Rapid Spin, thus clearing the field of entry hazards. Gastro Acid is for the worst case Shedinja, or to get rid of Static, Flame Body, or any other ability that you don't like. Worry Seed can be used as a substitute for Gastro Acid if you feel that your oppnent is planning on Rest or something... for the last move I decided to be a bit of a troll. Spite can drain the PP of your opponent's best moves, or you can go with Tri Attack which, along with getting STAB, has a 20% chance of causing a status. The Focus Sash gives Smeargle a better chance to live long enough to at least use a Rapid Spin.
    you might want to run jolly nature with 252 att and 252 speed, as this is better for outspeeding

SpinMaster
    Attacks:
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Odor Sleuth
    ~ Gastro Acid/Worry Seed
    ~ Spite/Tri Attack

Blastoise can learn Rapid Spin and Foresight as well!

Credit to iPokemon^

Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    I would never use smeargle aswel because I would prefer Blissey as a supporter.
    Really smeargle have other kinds of support than blissey: entry hazard and baton passing blissey can only put stealth rock.. it is like saying: "I would never use Tentacruel, I would prefer Starmie as rapid spinner."

Smeargle got a limited movepool sadly he doesn't get the moves he really needs like chatter!

Tried the set I put (the FEAR smergle) it really sucks... didn't bring down anything.
    maybe the dragon rage could work but it is not priority so it's a problem..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Smeargle sets can pretty much be grouped in 3 catagories:

Baton pass sets: these sets need spore and to pass a boosted stats to a Pokemon who can actually use them. They need to use moves that other passers do not have as they will out class it (belly drum(+6 atk), shell smash(+2atk,-1 def +2sp atk, -1 sp def, +2 spd), tail glow(3+ sp atk), or coil(+1 atk, +1 def +1 acc) are valid do not use quiver dance as Venemoth is a vastly superior user and Mew can boost 2+ in any stat so stat so any boosting move Smeargle sets up needs to boost more than 2+ to not be out classed out right).

Fear sets: these sets are level 1 use focus sash endeavor to inflict massive damage to opponents after which they try and finish the opponent off. One of the most valid fear sets uses trick room to change speed order then endeavor/ dragon rage to take things out before dieing to let a sweeper in....

Gimmick sets:multitudes of other sets it could use but lacks the stats for or are banned do not use these....ever....they suck

notes: Smeargle always needs spore without spore anything can walk right over it... USE SPORE IF YOU USE SMEARGLE!!!
    counters taunt(could be stopped if you used magic coat, but they could just attack and kill you),sandstorm/hail/entry hazards (to break the mandatory focus sash), any Pokemon that resists sleep or has an other status that blocks sleep such as a flame or toxic orb user),damage from almost everything viable in the game...(it is that frail)

that pretty much sums it up...
    Last edited by Dragrath; 18th May 2012 at 7:49 PM. Reason: reformating
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

SpinMaster
    Attacks:
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Odor Sleuth
    ~ Gastro Acid/Worry Seed
    ~ Spite/Tri Attack

Do the words Blastoise, as somebody else said, and Kabutops mean anything to you?

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    OHKO moves are banned in competitive. Besides, Articuno does that better.
    Yeah, their banned in competitive play, but not in random wi-fi and VGCs. :]
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

SpinMaster
    Attacks:
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Odor Sleuth
    ~ Gastro Acid/Worry Seed
    ~ Spite/Tri Attack

No Spore? Good luck with it then.

Anyway, focus sash won't help you use rapid spin at all. If Smeargle takes damage from the hazards, the focus sash will have no effect. And Tri-Attack? Really? With that special attack? It couldn't KO a Caterpie.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    I believe in second chances. Blaziken, Infernape, and Emboar were once fire starters, but now they're fire fighters! They're heroes!

Sporeless.
    Timid
    Own tempo/moody
    -toxic
    -protect
    -detect
    -foul play
    Evs 252hp,252 speed, 4 def
    Focus sash

Toxic staller. Very effective, yet taunt destroys it. It is outclassed by umbreon, but it is ok.
    Coutners muk empoleon, giratina does well with shadow force, but anything with feign (is this it?) Destroys it.

Protect and Detect both run off the same consecutive move counter, so having both on the same set is just a waste of a moveslot.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Sporeless.
    Timid
    Own tempo/moody
    -toxic
    -protect
    -detect
    -foul play
    Evs 252hp,252 speed, 4 def
    Focus sash

Toxic staller. Very effective, yet taunt destroys it. It is outclassed by umbreon, but it is ok.
    Coutners muk empoleon, giratina does well with shadow force, but anything with feign (is this it?) Destroys it.
    Feint* and who the hell use that?
    protect and detect don't stack...
    Last edited by Ilan; 19th May 2012 at 4:59 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Troll King is at it again!

Substitute+3 attacks

Modest/Timid Nature
    max sp attack and speed
    Ability: Moody

Judgement
    Spacial Rend
    Volt Tackle
    Substitute

Yes, yes I did.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Clearly Mega Ampharos has been sharing its beauty secrets with Altaria.

Quote Originally Posted by deoxysdude94 View Post
    Troll King is at it again!

Substitute+3 attacks

Modest/Timid Nature
    max sp attack and speed
    Ability: Moody

Judgement
    Spacial Rend
    Volt Tackle
    Substitute

Yes, yes I did.
    An awesome way to abuse his magnificant base 20 sp.attack. (sarcasem)
    Moody is banned btw.

I am not sure if it KO awesome walls like delibird or magikarp.

Paint Dog has not changed much over the past generation, except for the fact it probably dropped down a few tiers.
    Ok, it got Quiver Dance, Shift Gear, and most importantly Shell Smash, which should pretty much be the only boosting moves you should consider. With Espeon negating Roar and Whirlwind and Substitute being capable of blocking Dragon Tail and Circle Throw, Smeargle has lost a great niche in contributing Ingrain to BP Chains, and now it can focus on pure, solo passing.

Taunt has limited application under Smeargle's control, as Sporing a threat is much more reliable. If you want to counter Roar or Whirlwind that badly, you might as well equip Smeargle with Ingrain. Otherwise, Taunt can be used to fend off the opponent if they decide to hit Smeargle or the Pass recipient with something such as Sleep Powder or Thunder Wave.

Taunt and Encore have dropped in application, but the use of Magic Coat and Magic Bounce are greatly popular. I have used Smeargle in Gen V before; it's usually exclusively in the lead position with the Item of Focus Sash, Lum Berry, or Mental Herb. I find, if Magic Bounce, Magic Mirror, or Taunt is too much of a threat, I'd be inclined to run an attack on Smeargle with a high hax percentage. Such moves include, if you're really daring (which I personally am), Inferno, DynamicPunch, and Zap Cannon.

Aside from Baton Passing, setting up a slew of hazards, a random gimmick FEAR set, Smeargle has the uncommon niche of a Transform set, although Scarf Imposter Ditto is usually more popular for this role.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345