Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #72

Default Community POTW #72

Right, time for the next one

This one is going to be huge. It's capable of ANYTHING.

Smeargle, the Pokémon that can learn any move thanks to its move Sketch.

Try and limit yourself on the sets, don't go overboard.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/235.shtml

Go nuts

Freshly Painted Baton
    Nature: Jolly/Timid
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spd, 4 Def
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo

- Quiver Dance / Shell Smash / Cosmic Power / Shift Gear
    - Spore
    - Substitute / Ingrain
    - Baton Pass

Personally, I find Smeargle to be the best Pokemon to start a Baton Pass Chain with. It's easy to see why: It learns every boosting move and Spore. First off, keep in mind that it's a lot more practical to run Focus Sash than White Herb if you're running Shell Smash because Smeargle is incredibly frail, and a single hit can down it with or without defenses down. It's desireable for making sure your next Pokemon is safe, but it's a big gamble. I just believe that Focus Sash is much safer than White Herb here.

Slot 1: Pick the Boosting Move that you want for your team.
    Slot 2: Spore is necessary to buy time for Smeargle. 75 Base Speed isn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination and with Focus Sash, it can at least insure itself a crippled opponent and at least one turn to boost.
    Slot 3: Substitute protects Smeargle from statuses and can be passed (Though they won't be too bulky) and Ingrain prevents Roar/Whirlwind from working and offers constant healing.
    Slot 4: You can't make a Baton Pass set without Baton Pass.

Partners

Octillery + Smeargle on the Baton Pass set is horrifying. Any boosts at all will help out Octillery since it can go mixed so easily, and it has Suction Cups, so it won't be reliant on Ingrain.

Countering Smeargle

Priority and Taunt. I'm not going to sugar coat it: Those are the two things that beat Smeargle. Pokemon with Insomnia and Vital Spirit give Smeargle lots of trouble thanks to their Spore immunity as well. Just punch Smeargle a lot and it will go down. Usually in one or two hits.

The Moody Ban

Okay, it's easy to see why this ability was banned thanks to Smeargle. Consider the idea of +2 on one stat and -1 on another stat every turn and that Smeargle usually is going to use Spore and a Boosting Move before it leaves play. That's plenty of time to soak up boosts, good or bad.
    Last edited by TimmahX; 13th May 2012 at 3:23 PM.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

FEAR THE SMEAR
    Nature: timid/jolly
    Ability: both Non-hidden since moody is banned
    EVs, 252 hp 252 speed 4 defense
    Focus sash
    Shift Gear
    Spore
    Quiver Dance/Shell Smash
    Baton Pass

Use spore and boost to pass to someone who needs it. Self explanatory

Partners
    Whimsicott is a great partner with Prankster to stop others from taunting smeargle. it also gets tailwind to boost it's speed as well. A funny thing is in doubles, use whimsicott to swagger smeargle while opponent is asleep. since smeargle has own tempo, it gets a free +2 boost and using shell smash helps it baton pass more boosts. Risky but can pay off if used right.
    Last edited by Dragalge; 13th May 2012 at 3:23 PM.

Neosurrealism
    Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)/Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Shell Smash/Quiver Dance
    - Baton Pass
    - Substitute/Stealth Rock/Spikes/ANY ATTACK
    I know this isn't much different from what any Smeargle would do, but consider that Smeargle could also set up with Stealth Rock or Spikes. It could also become Taunt bait which is why you should have an attack. STAB Judgement might do some damage after a Shell Smash or Quiver Dance.
    Last edited by grantholomew; 13th May 2012 at 3:15 PM.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Looks good on paper, but its base stats really let it down, so it's only RU. It could really benefit from an evolution. Sets coming soon.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Basically, apply any boosting move you like to this thing. Add spore, add a focus sash, add baton pass and your good to go on the road to cheapness.

Abilities: Own tempo: Prevents confusion. Good i guess, the best one since moody is banned.
    I don't even know what the other one is. And of course, moody which thank god is banned.

Sets: Smeagle @focus sash/white herb
    4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
    nature: jolly
    Spore
    baton pass
    Ingrain
    Shell smash/quiver dance/swords dance/nasty plot/any other booster under the sun
    Welcome to it. Spore, boost, pass. Evs for bulk and nature for speed.

Counters: Hazards. Rocks remove sash, and it's abysmal defences won't hold for any more then 1 hit. A scarf user might help. Alternately, use something with a lum berry and hammer it when it tries to put you to sleep.

Opinion: I hate it. Thought that would be logical, but this thing is so cheap. Regardless, if you want a Baton pass chain, this thing and ninjask have you covered.

Next week:Something better.
    I have claimed the deadly snake Seviper, as of December 2 2011

Huge credit to Brutaka Blaziken and PkmnFn for the banner
    This archeops is currently staring into your soul. Deal with it.

Moody Passer
    Smeargle@Leftovers
    Timid nature
    Moody
    252 Spd/252 HP/4 Def
    ~Protect
    ~Substitute
    ~Spore/Shell Smash
    ~Baton Pass

Smeargle, the exact opposite of a one-trick pony. Thanks to Sketch, Smeargle can learn and use close to every damn move in the game. This set takes advantage of Smeargle's Hidden Ability of Moody; specifically, it allows Smeargle to transfer the massive stat gains to another Pokémon via Baton Pass. Protect and Substitute allow Smeargle to stall enough to get some decent stat boosts; preferably in Evasion, Defense, Special Defense, and Speed. Spore allows for more stalling, but if you view it as superfluous, Shell Smash can be crammed in there somewhere. Baton Pass is there for obvious reasons.

Bear in mind that Moody is an illegal ability if you play by Smogon's rules.

Item restores any HP lost by Substitute usage. Ability is obvious.

Smeargle Smashpass
    Smeargle@Focus Sash
    Jolly nature
    Own Tempo/Technician
    252 Spd/252 HP/4 Def
    ~Spore
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Spacial Rend
    ~Baton Pass

Spore to put the foes to sleep. Shell Smash for the insane stat boosts. Spacial Rend for filler and lulz and for preventing Smeargle from becoming complete and total Taunt bait. Baton Pass to get those stat boosts to another of your teammates.

Item ensures that Smeargle can get things moving even if your opponent outspeeds it initially. Ability doesn't matter, though Moody's luck-based aspects make it less than desirable in this case.

Shell Smash Offensive
    Smeargle@Focus Sash
    Modest nature
    Own Tempo
    252 Spd/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
    ~Spore
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Spacial Rend
    ~Searing Shot

Smeargle may have a base Special Attack of 20, but that doesn't mean it can't give attacking a Shot. Spore the foe, get in a few Shell Smashes, and sweep with the legendary-exclusive moves. Dragon and Fire is resisted only by Heatran.

Item, ability, you know how this goes. Technician isn't needed, so Own Tempo's the only one really worth the time.

Other options:
    *Smeargle can use Taunt, but so can a host of faster Pokémon. Its only real use would be stopping Taunt usage against Smeargle anyway, and it's not built to take hits.
    *Smeargle can try Leech Seed and Substitute for a combination usually only attempted by Grass-types, but generally, decent defense is needed for this. Smeargle can know Cosmic Power, however...

Abilities:
    *Own Tempo: Smeargle can't be confused. It allows for punishment-free usage of Thrash, Petal Dance, or Outrage, but those moves aren't generally seen on a Smeargle.
    *Technician: Any of Smeargle's moves with a base power of 60 or less have their base power multiplied by 1.5. Absolutely useless, given that Smeargle can learn moves that are naturally more powerful than anything Technician would produce. Sure, it'll power up Bug Bite, but Smeargle can go with Megahorn.
    *Moody: Smeargle's Hidden Ability. Currently legal on Smeargle. It is awesome. End of each turn, Smeargle gains +2 in one stat and -1 in another. Won't try to raise a maxed-out stat or lower a stat that's at its minimum. Incredible on any Pokémon, and Smeargle is no exception.

Partners:
    Given the prevalence of Focus Sash on Smeargle sets, you might want Rapid Spin support and/or Magic Bounce. Something to Baton Pass to is also a good idea.

Counters:
    Most priority moves rip through Smeargle like artistic tissue paper. Anything faster with Taunt can effectively shut down most Smeargle sets.

Opinion:
    Smeargle is just one of those really cool Pokémon.

Prediction for next week:
    Wobbuffet
    Last edited by Missingno. Master; 13th May 2012 at 4:34 PM.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Whatever you do, don't post a sweeping set. It's stats are horrible. Once, a long time ago, I tested out a belly drum set. It set up a lot thanks to spore, but when I tried to sweep using STAB Extreme Speed....it never swept. Never.

So far, everyone is on the right track. It makes a great baton passer.

Edit: Or at least I'd like to say everyone one was, but someone just ninja'd me with one that knows special rend. -.-
    Now this, this is a tricky little strategy few will see coming. Sleep the opponent, preferably some sort of really fast and powerful sweeper, Shell Smash as necessary, and then Transform into aforementioned really fast and powerful sweeper, and proceed to kick buttocks. Leech Seed is filler, more of an optional "screw you" to the opponent before using Transform.

Item, ability, you know how this goes.
    I don't think this'll work. Transform copies the enemy's stat boost as well, so I'm pretty sure Shell Smash won't matter.

Also, I'd rather just use Mew. Work Up or Swords Dance/Rock Polish/Soft Boiled/Transform.
    Smeargle, the exact opposite of a one-trick pony.
    Yeah, it's a two-trick pony! Baton Pass and Spore!
    Last edited by Zachmac; 13th May 2012 at 3:50 PM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Remember: Moody is banned on unofficial competitive battling (at least only on Smogon I believe) but it's not on Random Matchup and I believe WiFi Tournaments as well.
    So you can put it on sets.

I'm not much of a competitive battler and the usual sets I would use Smeargle for (Which I never use anyways) are already mentioned...
    Last edited by Aura Flare Riolu; 13th May 2012 at 3:54 PM.

Spoiler:- ΩRαS Shinies:

Every move in the game, EVERY MOVE! And it is just the same set over and over. No this cannot happen, I will correct this, later.

Every move in the game horrible stats though luckly it got 75 base speed which saves him a lot. The fastest spore user! cause breloom is slower by 5 base points.

He got Technican and just the moves (actually ALL the moves lol) but horrible stats make it awful).
    Moody is illegal for randomness and it is broken especially on a baton passer although it is random.
    And Own tempo is the only one with benefits. so use this
    ok I guess a hazard set is one which should be used too.

@focus sash
    252 HP, 252 speed, 4 defense
    Jolly
    Own Tempo
    -Spore
    -Stealth Rock
    -Spikes
    -U-turn/Toxic Spikes/Rapid Spin

Spore Is REALLY broken in gen 5 so this set aims to abuse it with max speed inversment he reach 273 speed, which outspeed lots of things, Stealth Rock is the best hazard to use, Spikes is next, U-turn for momentum power is misserable anyway. Toxic Spikes more Hazards, Rapid Spin... well it might get the chance.

Ok a F.E.E.S (Focus sash. endeavour. Extreame speed.Smeargle) AKA F.E.A.R set it is gimmick and need a rapid spinner to work and don't work in OU due to sandstorms.

@focus sash lvl 1
    31 attack, 0 HP IVs, the rest don't matter
    252 attack
    Own Tempo/Technican (for a boost like it matters)
    Adamant Nature
    -Endeavour
    -Extreamespeed
    -Spore
    -*Random team support move*

Why use smeargle and not every other FEAR pokemon? simple Extreame speed bypass priority AND he have spore.

Endeavour at low HP like lvl 1 0 HP ivs of a base 55 HP should be very low so low that every attack will kill that's where extreame speed comes to finish this 1 HP remaining.

Spore is alternative to endavour it also works against ghost counters so you can switch and fight a sleeping foe

there is no need for 4rt slot but Stealth rock seems like a great option..

Not sure if endeavour works on ghosts if it do forth slot= shadow sneak.
    Last edited by Ilan; 13th May 2012 at 4:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

One of Smeargle's best offensive Moves, even on a Sp.Atk-oriented set, is Foul Play. Smeargle's pitiful Attack stat is replaced by the opponent's very-likely-superior Attack stat for the move.

Seriously...when your Base Attack and Sp.Atk are both 20 and your Movepool looks like this:
    www.serebii.net/attackdex-bw/
    ...you'll appreciate using the higher Attack.

Stat-wise, Smeargle is very forgettable. Only its Speed is anywhere near Average (it's Below-Average, but not by much). However, its Movepool and Ability selection set it apart from every other Pokemon. Technician + Skill Swap can be good support, Own Tempo with a partner's Teeter Dance can be useful, and Moody, while restricted in some circles, has some great usage on a Baton Pass set.

My favorite Move combos for Smeargle include Role Play + Perish Song (in Doubles only), Swagger + Foul Play, and Coil + Quiver Dance + Baton Pass. While fragile, Smeargle's versatility makes it unpredictable. You may regret seeing one if it uses Perish Song against your finally-buffed Pokemon, Skill Swaps your Pokemon's Ability into a useless one for it (such as Technician on a Pokemon with all Move Powers 65 and up), or manages a successful Baton Pass to a Pokemon you'll dread even more.

Because of its fragility, Focus Sash is a popular Item. Because of this, Stealth Rock and Multi-strike Moves are ever-so important. Simultaneously, Pokemon that can counter Smeargle often benefit from it as an ally.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

The super smeargle set. Great for use in the battle subway.

Nature: Tmid
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Ability: Own tempo
    Moveset:
    - Lock on
    - Sheer Cold
    - Spore
    - Gastro Acid

So yeah, simple. Put them to sleep, lock on, then sheer cold. Anyone who resists OHKO moves, get rid of the ability with gastro acid. But do not use this set in competitive batltling. Just in game to collect battle points and stars on your trainer card.
    I like a good fight, and I NEVER turn off the power when I'm about to lose a battle. Because of others doing this, and me not turning off, my record does not look how it should. It's shame that the pokemon world allows these cowards to escape a loss.

If more people don't do this, then pokemon battling will become more fair and fun.

If anyone wants to battle, I'm up for it. My Immence Salamences need their training.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I don't think this'll work. Transform copies the enemy's stat boost as well, so I'm pretty sure Shell Smash won't matter.
    Huh. Damn it.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Counters
    Ugh, Smeargle. Anything with a massive movepool is hard to Counter, but this gets everything. Spore(it's actually the fastest user of it!). Every entry hazard. Every boosting move + Baton Pass. Infinite type coverage and uses. It looks utterly uncounterable...

But fortunately it has piss-poor stats. 55/35/45 defences. 20 Atk and Spatk and fairly average speed at 75. This basically means that Smeargle's entire usage is in status moves or weak damaging moves that have a powerful secondary effect(Rapid Spin, Clear Smog etc.). That means that all Smeargle sets can be easily countered by Taunt. Getting that Taunt in is difficult because 98.87501% of Smeargle sets use Spore, which can incapacitate your only Taunt user leaving it free to Baton Pass whatever to whatever. Switch in something with Vital Spirit/Insomnia/ a Chesto Berry, have Rain up and switch in Hydration pokemon or any other way of preventing Spore If all else fails, you could sacrifice a Pokemon to Sleep.

Once you've gotten your pokemon in and have found a way around Spore, just plain attack. As long as it hasn't got ridiculous defensive boosts through multiple Quiver Dances or something, pretty much any attack is gonna OHKO or 2KO it. Even Defensive Tentacruel's Scald 2KOes it. Cos, you know, it has the worst Defences in all of competitive battling. Priority is even better as after a Speed boost it can be pretty fast and Baton Pass before you get a hit in. Phazing moves are amazing since even if Smeargle gets off a Baton Pass the Pokemon receiving the boost just gets booted out regardless. If the Smeargle happens to be abusing entry hazards, just KO him before he sets up too much and spin away its hazards as early as possible afterwards.

An honourable mention must go to Sandstorm, Entry hazards and other forms of passive damage. Apart from one joke set, everyone has posted a Smeargle using a Focus Sash. Passive damage breaks the Sash and stops Smeargle from getting in that extra boost or entry hazard. Multi-hit moves such as Bullet Seed, Rock Blast and Icicle Spear are also viable.

Smeargle's not all that tough, your biggest challenge is getting around Spore. After that you should be much more afraid of what it can Baton Pass it's boosts to.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 13th May 2012 at 7:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Ok, someone's gonna post something like this eventually, so I'll do it now

SPECIAL GIMMICK SET YOU SHOULD NEVER USE
    Smeargle @ life orb/choice scarf/choice specs
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Ability: doesn't really matter
    -Judgement/Aeroblast/Psycho Boost/Spacial Rend/Roar of Time/Psystrike/Magma Storm/Blue Flare/Seed Flare/Fiery Dance/Luster Purge/Mist Ball
    -Judgement/Aeroblast/Psycho Boost/Spacial Rend/Roar of Time/Psystrike/Magma Storm/Blue Flare/Seed Flare/Fiery Dance/Luster Purge/Mist Ball

pretty self explanatory...

PHYSICAL GIMMICK SET YOU SHOULD NEVER USE
    Smeargle @ life orb/choice scarf/choice band
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Ability: doesn't really matter
    -Sacred Fire/V-create
    -Bolt Strike
    -Shadow Force
    -Head Charge/Crush Grip/Rock Wrecker

again, pretty self explanatory, but less options...
    Last edited by Man_of_Girth; 13th May 2012 at 5:11 PM.

Credit to Nakashima for the amazing user bar and team pose

Smeargle Quiver pass
    Smeargle@Focus Sash
    Jolly nature
    Own Tempo/Technician
    252 Spd/252 HP/4 Def
    ~Spore
    ~Quiver Dance
    ~Aeroblast
    ~Baton Pass

The problem with Smeargle is that it's only good at supporting. It's stats are not that great for attacking, even with access to all the boosting moves in the game. Of course, it's pretty bad for wall too. Tainting it (with the move, of course) will completely shut it down, and it just hates priority attacks.
    Gen VI Pokedex, here I come!
    Gen V National Pokédex: 649/649

3DS FC: 3239-3604-9829

Smeargle 5th gen charger
    Smeargle item: Focus Sash
    +speed nature

ability: moody
    ev:252 Speed
    ~Spore ---------------- ---- - you obviously got spore because its one of the most useful moves in the game
    ~endeaveator -------- ---- - when down to 1hp use this
    ~flame charge -------- ---- - when enemy has 1hp use this. if the opponent switches at least u get a free speed boost
    ~foul play/night shade ---- - can hit ghosts that are immune to endeav.

this is the one i been using and it works great. i think that smeargle is the best user of the new move flame charge. basically take a hit, go down to 1hp then endeaveate and finish off with flame charge and get free speed boost. if u areaffraid of priority moves then replace flame charge with any priority attack of your choice. also another option is to replace foul play with baton pass which can pass all moody stat changes along with your flame charge speed boosts.

weakness: although u have foul play or night shade for ghost counters, it will still be hard to take them down. flash fire is also something to watch out for.
    Last edited by banana-black; 13th May 2012 at 6:02 PM.
    pokemon black
    IGN: BANANA
    FC: 2193-7267-7439

smeargle can do anything, but he doesn´t has the stats to do anything that can cause damage.
    focus sash is really the only item it should carry, since any attack might easly kill it.

lv 100 surprise endeavor
    -spore
    -endeavor
    -shell smash
    -baton pass
    @focus sash

since it doesnt has any kind of defense,almost any attack will make you be at 1 hp.spore him, so it cant attack you.shell smash so you can get a boost for your friend.endeavor to make your opponent afraid of losing its poke, so it will switch and you use baton pass to switch to something and proceed to sweep.

Click on my banner to go into my shop!

White FC: 4642-4390-4207
    Y FC:5069 4882 3444

Spoiler:- Placed in spoiler tag to save space:

EDIT: Nevermind, philzone has corrected me on this situation.
    Last edited by Charizard Lizzy; 13th May 2012 at 6:33 PM.
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

This set probably isn't too effective but what the heck.

The Smeargle of OHKOs!
    Smeargle@ Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    Ability: Own Tempo
    Lock-On
    Sheer Cold
    Mind Reader
    Fissure

Basically just spam Lock-on/Mind Reader and Sheer Cold/Fissure. Use a Focus Sash so you can survive a hit and potentially deal another killing blow. With any luck you'll at least be able to KO one of your opponents Pokemon. But really there are so many better options out there with Smeargle. Not like he can really use them effectively though.

EVs:252 Defense/ 252 Special Defense/ 4 Speed
    Maximize your defensive capabilities and add a little Speed. Your Jolly boost should help a little with Speed as well.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Pokemon Black Trainer Name: Andrew
    4556-1367-1886

I also have Pokerus and am willing to spread it. Just PM me if you want to trade so I can transfer Pokerus to something you have.

Drum Smeargle
    Smeargle
    Nature: Anything that increases speed
    Ability: Moody
    EV's: 252HP, 4Def, 252Spe
    Moveset: Spore, Belly Drum, Substitute, Baton Pass.
    Use Spore, followed by Belly drum, Substitute and Baton pass into a physical sweeper (the higher the speed stat the better). +6 Attack can turn almost anything into a sweeper.

Default The banned terror

It has to be said:

WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Smeargle Moody

Sassy/Relaxed Focus Sash/Chople Berry
    (If trained, 252 hp, split def & sp def)

Dark Void
    Protect
    Trick Room
    U-Turn

Focus Sash for Doubles
    Chople for Triples (usually in a Sandstorm)

Just because it is banned (Dark Void even by Pokemon) doesn't mean you shouldn't make one. The true terror of Doubles and Triples.
    Enjoy!

Oops! Replace U-turn with Baton Pass, of course (that's what happens when I have to answer the door while I'm typing)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast