Volcarona@Leftovers
    Timid nature
    Flame Body
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Quiver Dance
    ~Fiery Dance
    ~Bug Buzz/Psychic
    ~Hidden Power (Dragon)

Volcarona takes the stereotype of Bug-types being generally weak and crushes it into a fine powder. Attack and Defense are its only real weak points. Special Attack? Through the roof. Special Defense? Awesome. Speed? Beautiful. Now bear in mind that all three of those stats get boosted in one turn when Volcarona uses Arceus's gift to the Bug-type, Quiver Dance. A special version of Dragon Dance with a Sp. Def boost thrown in. One use of the move and Volcarona is more ready to sweep than it already was. Next, behold this ignited insect's signature technique of Fiery Dance. A respectable 80 base power, which is nevertheless topped by Flamethrower, Heat Wave, and Fire Blast, all of which Volcarona learns. So why am I recommending this move? Because of the potential for insane overkill, that's why- each use of the move comes with a 50% chance of Volcarona's Special Attack going up by one stage. Thaaaat's right. Bug Buzz is for additional STAB, but Psychic may be preferable if you're looking for a way past that Conkeldurr. Last slot goes to HP Dragon, which sounds like an unusual choice, until you realize that together, both Fiery Dance and HP Dragon are resisted by exactly one Pokémon: Heatran.

Item helps to restore any HP lost on the setup turn or from Stealth Rock. Ability is the only one available.

Scarfarona
    Volcarona@Choice Scarf
    Modest nature
    Flame Body
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Fiery Dance
    ~Bug Buzz
    ~Psychic
    ~Hidden Power (Dragon)

This set uses a Choice Scarf to handle Speed, allowing Volcarona to make the most of its naturally high Special Attack. And given that I already explained its moves in the past set, I really shouldn't have to repeat myself. Only difference is, now you can run Bug Buzz and Psychic, given that Quiver Dance is gone.

Already explained the ability, and I really hope I don't have to explain the item.

Other options:
    *Volcarona learns Calm Mind, but it's thoroughly outclassed by Quiver Dance.
    *If the good chance of Special Attack increase doesn't entirely outweigh the negatives of Fiery Dance, it's no problem to just replace it with Flamethrower, Heat Wave, or Fire Blast.
    *Another Hidden Power type such as Ground or Fighting would provide more help against the otherwise meddlesome Heatran, but it means giving up the Dragon Fire coverage.
    *SolarBeam is good if your Volcarona is being used on a Sun team, but it doesn't actually bring that much to the table in the way of coverage.
    *Hurricane sounds like a decent option, but the best way to abuse it is on a Rain team. Which, if you haven't guessed by now, Volcarona wouldn't exactly do that well on. Might work if you're trying to counter an enemy rain team, though.

Abilities:
    *Flame Body: When an opponent makes contact with Volcarona, there is a 30% chance that it will be burned. The only ability Volcarona currently has access to, but it's not a bad one. Volcarona needs all the help it can get as far as physical defense goes. Unfortunately, most contact moves are physical, with the nonsensical exceptions of Petal Dance and Grass Knot, and when the hell is a Volcarona ever gonna be hit with one of those moves?
    *Swarm: Volcarona's Hidden Ability. Basically a Bug version of the starter-exclusive abilities. When Volcarona's HP is at 33% or lower, its Bug moves are powered up. Not yet legal, but not a big issue. Not exactly a game breaker, and this burning bug's done just fine without it thus far.

Partners:
    Rapid Spin support, Magic Bounce users, anything to keep those damn Stealth Rocks the hell away from Volcarona.

Counters:
    If it outspeeds a max Speed Timid Volcarona, knows a physical Rock move, and has the Attack power to back it up, it's a Volcarona counter. I'm firmly convinced that its crippling weakness to Rock is the only thing keeping Volcarona out of ubers. A successful Stealth Rock setup also blasts holes in any Volcarona, especially the scarf'd variety, which involves much switching to be successfully used.

Opinion:
    Volcarona is just awesome. Cool design, cool type combo, cool signature move, just cool everything. Ironic that a Fire-type is so cool, isn't it?

Prediction for next week:
    To be announced.
    Last edited by Missingno. Master; 20th May 2012 at 10:46 PM.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

I pretty much made a full feature already, this has been sitting around on my laptop since March 13, 2011 waiting to be posted.

Volcarona, The Sun Pokémon. It is said that this flaming moth's glow was used as a substitute for the sun's light when skies were darkened by ash from an eruption. The scales on its wings are made of embers, and they scatter all over the battlefield when it flies. Only one is known to have ever appeared in the wild, but it is still able to breed with other bugs.

Overview

Volcarona is a very useful and downright awesome pokemon in general. Taking a peek at its base stats, quite a few things jump out at you. Its base Special Attack stat is 135, tied with the two best Special Attacking pokémon before Chandelure came along, Alakazam and Porygon-Z. Also, its base speed of 100 is just high enough to be considered a good sweeping speed. Even its Special Defense is wonderful, weighing in at base 105, much higher than other sweepers. Sadly, this awesome-sauce-ish-ness is all balanced out on the physical side by low Attack, Defense, and mediocre HP. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it has access to two of the best and most exclusive moves in the entire game, Quiver Dance and Fiery Dance, the latter being its signature move and the former belonging to only a few other pokemon. Quiver Dance boosts Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed (you can think of it as a Special DD with a SDef boost or a CM with a Spd boost), while Fiery Dance is a special move with 80 base power that has a 50-50 chance to raise Special Attack whenever you use it. Think about that for a second. It's like a more-powerful fire-type Charge Beam (although it only has a 50% chance of raising SAtk). Yes please. As far as other moves go, it has STAB Bug Buzz to play around with as well as other special moves like Psychic, Flamethrower, FIre Blast, Hurricane, and Heat Wave. Be warned, however, as its 4x weakness to SR makes Rapid Spin support an absolute must in competitive 6-on-6 play.

Abilities

Flame Body: Not the best ability (Flash Fire would have been wonderful), but it can still use it. Opponents are largely going to want to use physical attacks against Volc because of its high Special Defense (which is even higher after a few QDs) and its low defense. This might burn them, lowering their attack and reducing damage so you're more tanky on both sides of the spectrum (and encouraging switches which let you smuggle in a QD), but it is kinda haxxy. On top of that, you can hatch eggs twice as fast… yay? It's a great ability to have if you're a hardcore breeder, no more using a level 21 Litwick to hatch eggs.
    Swarm (DW): Okay-ish, um, I guess… yeah, usually just run Flame Body unless you plan on using a SubSalac set or something like that.

Movesets

Here Comes the Sun (Bulky Quiver Dance)

- Quiver Dance
    - Fiery Dance / Flamethrower / Heat Wave / Fire Blast
    - Rest / Morning Sun
    - Bug Buzz
    Item Attached: Chesto Berry / Leftovers
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

This rather experimental set makes up for Volc's lack of physical bulk, allowing it to set up twice as many QDs as an all-out sweeping set before going down. Before you yell at me, let me explain why other fire-type moves are slashed in for Fiery Dance. You might find that you can get to +6/+6/+6 from Quiver Dance before you start your sweep, in which case the attack boost from Fiery Dance is irrelevant and you can use a more powerful move instead. If you don't know what Quiver Dance is, it boosts both special stats and speed by one stage each. Yes, it's that good. ChestoRest is great on Bulky Volc, essentially giving you a free Full Restore, allowing you to double your boosting capabilities yet again. Morning Sun with Leftovers can be used instead, though you should probably run it on a sun team for best results. It can't heal status and it doesn't heal as much, but you can run it to gain leftovers recovery and multiple uses if you want. EVs and nature max out HP and Defense, the only stats that it would benefit from a boost in that it can't boost with Quiver Dance (Attack doesn't matter much).

Offensive Quiver Dance

- Quiver Dance
    - Fiery Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Ground
    Item Attached: Life Orb
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

This is the "normal" set that everyone and his brother will think of with when they see Volc's stats and capabilities. It aims to get as much as possible out of each boost by maxing two of its best stats. It can switch in easily on something like Ferrothorn or Forretress to scare it out and sneak in a Quiver Dance. It'll probably only be able to get one or two in, but it should be able to sweep afterwards. Fiery Dance should be your main move here, as it boosts the power of your other moves as well, since you probably were not able to get very many QDs in due to your pathetic physical bulk. Bug Buzz is your strongest move, getting 135 base power after STAB (and a chance to lower Special Defense). Hidden Power Rock hits Flying types that would make short work of you, but Hidden Power Ground pounds Rock-types that threaten you with 4x effective STAB, easily a OHKO against you. Both hit Fire types which wall both your STABs.

Make it Rain

- Quiver Dance
    - Hurricane
    - Fire Blast
    - Bug Buzz
    Item Attached: Life Orb
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 4 HP /252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

Upon first seeing this set, you may think "why on earth would anyone put Volcarona on a rain team?" This is not an entirely unmerited response, but Volcarona still functions well on rain teams as it is able to Quiver Dance and then sweep with a fearsome Hurricane as well as its normal STAB Bug Buzz. Fire Blast is present as it can turn the opponent's weather against them when playing against sun teams- not much can stand up to a QD'd Volcarona's STAB Fire Blast, especially in the sun. Item, ability, EVs, and nature are same as Offensive QD set.

Choice

- Fiery Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - HIdden Power Rock / HIdden Power Ground
    - Hurricane / Psychic
    Item Attached: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
    EVs and Nature:
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) / Adamant Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

Fiery Dance is definitely your main move here if you're planning on staying in for more than one turn. It you're just gonna RK one pokemon and switch out, Bug Buzz is more powerful. Hidden Power Rock takes out Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice types while Ground takes out Electric, Steel, Poison, Fire, and Rock. Hurricane is powerful but inaccurate, and Psychic is more accurate but less powerful and with less coverage. Specs give higher power and more sweeping potential but Scarf turns it into a revenge-killing machine, able to outspeed pokemon like +1 Dragonite.

EVs & Natures

Bulky QD
    Max HP and Defense with a Bold Nature give him considerable bulkiness making it much easier to get up to +6 when combined with a recovery move. The loss in Attack from Bold doesn't matter. (In case you didn't notice, every single nature used drops Attack.)

Offensive QD
    Max Special Attack and Speed with Timid lets him beat everything but Deoxys' Speed Form after one QD, and all scarfed pokémon barring Ninjask and 3/4 Deoxys forms after 2 QDs.

Rain Volc
    Same as offensive QD.

Choice
    Definitely max Sp. Attack and Speed, nature depends on your style and whether you're using Specs or Scarf.

Other Options

Psychic, Heat Wave, Light Screen, Solarbeam, SIlver Wind, Flamethrower, U-Turn, Harden, Overheat.
    Psychic for coverage.
    Heat Wave is more powerful with less accuracy, same thing with Fire Blast.
    Light Screen if base 105 SDef isn't enough for you. (-_-')
    Solarbeam on Sun teams for dealing with Swampert etc.
    Silver Wind if you're feeling lucky.
    Flamethrower is more powerful if you don't care about SAtk boosting.
    If you're running a Scarf set, you might want to try U-Turn, but it's useless otherwise as you lose your buffs.
    Harden for Trolls and peoples who want to try and make Volc super-bulky :P.
    Overheat for use against the opponent's last pokémon or if you know you're going down.

Double and Triple Battle Options

Rage Powder makes all of your enemies aim at you, so you can shield an ally to let him set up. Still, if anything, Volc will be the one who wants a chance to set up.

Partners

Rapid Spin support is vital. If Toxic Spikes or Stealth Rock are set up, Volc doesn't even have a chance of doing as well as it could. Empoleon resists everything it's weak to (likewise with Dialga in Ubers). Ferrothorn is also a good partner as it resists two out of its three weaknesses (flying is only normally effective) and it has great Defense, which Volcarona lacks.

Countering Volcarona

Tyranitar leaves it in a very hard place as the 50% increase in SDef combined with a 4x effective STAB Stone Edge hurt a lot. Watch out for super-effective Bug Buzz though. You'll have to take Volcarona down early if you want to stand a chance. Also, lemme say something: Stealth Rock Stealth Rock Stealth Rock. If you have rocks up, this beast is completely maimed as its health is immediately dropped to 50%. Toxic Spikes lay the pain on any without rest as each turn they set up hurts them even more. Chansey with Max SDef and HP leaves Volcarona absolutely hopeless, even a +6 STAB Bug Buzz from a Timid Volc with 252 SAtk EVs will only do 40% to 47% to a max SDef+HP Eviolite Chansey. Whoa.

Locations in Games

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
    Not in game.

FireRed/LeafGreen:
    Not in game.

Colosseum/XD:
    Not in game.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
    Not in game.

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
    Not in game.

Black/White:
    Evolve Larvesta, Relic Castle Basement (Interact)
    Last edited by ASB; 20th May 2012 at 6:37 PM.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Love A Lava Larva
    Larvesta@Life Orb/Muscle Band
    Adamant nature
    Flame Body
    252 tk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Flare Blitz
    ~Flame Charge
    ~Wild Charge
    ~Bug Bite

Try saying that three times fast, eh? So, anyway, yes. Straight into it, then. Larvesta. I've said it before and I'll say it again; no, I am not insane. If you'll bother to look Larvesta up in the Pokédex, you'll take note of its base 85 Attack. A far cry from its evolved form's Special Attack, but a decided improvement on Volcarona's paltry base 60 Attack. Now, anyone remember that one Combee set I posted back in Vespiquen week? The one with Endeavor and Tailwind, which whoever wrote that travesty of a pre-evo corner mangled into a level 1 joke set? This Larvesta is intended for use in tandem with that Combee. Combee sets it up so once you bring in Larvesta, Tailwind is in effect and the foe has one HP remaining. KO with Flame Charge to up Larvesta's Speed (so it can outspeed stuff even after Tailwind ends) and let the sweepage commence. Even if the foe switches, you're still getting off Flame Charge without being retaliated upon. Flare Blitz and Bug Bite are your STAB moves, and Wild Charge is for extra coverage.

Item powers up Larvesta's attacks. Muscle Band may be preferable, given that there will be no small amount of recoil going on. Ability's the only one available.

Other options:
    *Zen Headbutt can replace Wild Charge, makes for decent coverage against Fighting-types.
    *Acrobatics is usable, but doesn't have much to offer as far as coverage, and would require Larvesta to forego a non-consumable item in order to have the full effect. Larvesta kinda needs its items.
    *Don't be tempted by the higher power of U-Turn. More power, yes, but all that setup will have been for naught.

Abilities:
    *Flame Body: When an opponent makes contact with Larvesta, there is a 30% chance that it will be burned. The only ability Larvesta currently has access to, and not really the best option, given how bad its defenses are. Still, it's all it's got right now, so...
    *Swarm: Larvesta's Hidden Ability. Basically a Bug version of the starter-exclusive abilities. When Larvesta's HP is at 33% or lower, its Bug moves are powered up. Not yet legal, which is a shame, as it might actually see more use than Flame Body. After all the Flare Blitz and Wild Charge recoil, it could power up Bug Bite.

Partners:
    As stated earlier, Combee. See my relevant post in the Vespiquen PotW thread for more information.

Counters:
    The timely entry of anything with Flash Fire can screw up the Flame Charge setup, which in turn screws up Larvesta. A Flash Fire Pokémon also is immune to Larvesta's strongest attack, and even if Flame Charge had previously been used successfully, it would still pose a threat to a Larvesta sweep.

Opinion:
    I like Larvesta. Nice design, surprisingly good niche. Nobody really sees it coming, which only adds to the cool factor.

Prediction for next week:
    Dunsparce.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Supporting this things...
    A rapid spinner is a must, no doubt about it. It just too weak to Stealth Rock to not include it. In fact, it's going to get hit by every entry hazard in the game (all three of them). Donphan comes to mind, since not only can it remove hazards, it can set up Rocks as well.
    Gen VI Pokedex, here I come!
    Gen V National Pokédex: 649/649

3DS FC: 3239-3604-9829

This is my favorite Volc set. I use it on a rain team and it has awesome coverage. Enjoy

Volcarona (F) @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Flame Body
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hurricane
    - Quiver Dance
    - Hidden Power [Ground]/Fire Blast
    - Bug Buzz/Fire Blast

HP ground can be replaced by HP water, because of the rain boost. Hurricane hits all the time and flying gem boosts the power. If you don't like a one time boost, you can use an expert belt on it. Bug Buzz is STAB. Fire Blast can be used, but remember that it will lose power in the rain.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

I don't think anybody's posted this set yet. It's amazing in the Sun, though this is the only place you should be using this.

Morning of Doom
    Volcarona @ Leftovers
    Bold
    Flame Body
    248 HP/152 Def/108 Speed
    Quiver Dance
    Morning Sun
    Fire Blast
    Bug Buzz

One Quiver Dance, not looking good. Two Quiver Dances, you're in trouble. Three Quiver Dances, you're doomed. Four or more Quiver Dances, and you might as well say GG. EVs are to outrun Scarf Latios while maintaining good physical bulk.
    Last edited by Vandslaux; 20th May 2012 at 8:12 PM.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Overview:
    Usually, moth Pokemon are absolutely terrible. Dustox, Mothim...they are all terrible in the competitive setting with minor redeeming qualities. Volcarona, however, defies this trend of terrible moths. Its family claims the unique Bug/Fire typing, which brings both good and bad qualities to it. Obviously, Stealth Rock is a terrible threat to Volcarona, as it will lose 50% of its HP upon switching in. However, Bug/Fire gives some good offensive coverage. Volcarona is a good example of a special sweeper. Not only does it have above average Sp. Attack and Speed stats, but it also gets Quiver Dance to further boost those stats. Volcarona's movepool is also fairly good, although it missed out on a couple of moves that would have helped its coverage. Volcarona's HP and Defense stats also leave something to be desired. Still, if it can set up, Volcarona can devastate an opponent's team.

Abilities:
    Flame Body: Any opponent who hits Volcarona with a contacting move has a 30% chance of being burned. This is pretty good, seeing as opponents will want to target Volcarona's weaker defense stat. Not the best ability, but it is not useless by any means. Funny note, this ability, along with Volcarona's ability to learn Fly, makes it a good Pokemon to hatch eggs with, as you cut the number of steps to hatching in half, while you can fly to Nimbasa City to check the potential of the hatched Pokemon. Pretty awesome.
    Swarm (Dream World): Volcarona's Bug-type moves will get a 1.5 power multiplier when its HP falls below % of its max. It's a fairly good ability, but Flame Body can cripple a team.

Movesets:

Offensive Quiver Dance
    -Quiver Dance
    -Fiery Dance/ Flamethrower
    -Bug Buzz
    -HP Rock/ HP Ground/ HP Grass
    Item: Life Orb/ Focus Sash
    Ability: Flame Body/ Swarm
    Nature: Timid
    EVs:4 Def/ 252 Sp. Att/ 252 Speed

This is Volcarona's prime set as a sweeper. Quiver Dance boosts Volcarona's Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed stats by one stage. This turns Volcarona into a deadly sweeper, even if only one boost is obtained. The choice of the Fire move comes down to preference. Fiery Dance is recommended because it has a 50% chance to boost Volcarona's Sp. Attack by one stage, making him more powerful. However, if you are like me and you want more initial power, Flamethrower would be an alternative. It also has more PP, which is always helpful. Bug Buzz is just good, and the chance to lower the opponent's Sp. Defense by one stage can come in handy if it goes off. The final Hidden Power type comes down to what sort of coverage you are looking for. Rock is usually the best because it hits Salamence, Dragonite, and Gyarados, while Ground hits Terrakion and Heatran. Grass is listed because it hits Water and Rock for a super-effective hit, but Rock and Ground are usually better options.

The nature is to make Volcarona as fast as possible, while the EVs are fairly obvious. The 4 in defense is to give Volcarona an odd HP stat, allowing 11 hits with Life Orb or 3 switch-ins with Stealth Rock (although you will not want to switch in if Stealth Rock is up). Speaking of Life Orb, the item will give you a power boost. However, Focus Sash can let you get at least two Quiver Dance boosts in, assuming no entry hazards or damage-weather is in effect.

Other Options:
    -Volcarona can run sets for sun or rain teams, the latter being used to counter other weather teams that threaten rain teams.
    -Volcarona can run a bulky Quiver Dance set with investment in HP and Defense, although the low base numbers in those stats can sometimes make this set difficult to use.

Counters:
    The first and best way to deal with Volcarona is obvious: Stealth Rock. If you can keep Stealth Rock on the field, Volcarona is much, much easier to take down. Besides that, fast Pokemon that can use non-contacting, super-effective physical moves can dish out a lot of damage. Stone Edge and Rock Slide are two great examples of moves that can kill Volcarona without worrying about Flame Body. Choice Scarf Terrakion is probably one of the best Pokemon to deal with Volcarona one-on-one barring HP Ground. Conkeldurr does not fear Flame Body, and will be happy to use the burn to fuel Guts before taking Volcarona down with Stone Edge or Rock Slide. Overall, Volcarona is a really awesome Pokemon, and he can really damage the opposing team if you can keep Stealth Rock away.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

I liek bugs :3
    [IMG]http://oi44.*******.com/2vvrzaw.jpg[/IMG]

~~need a jirachi, celebi, mew, phione.~~
    wanting a dream world ninetails or poiltoad. plz help
    pokedex is at 607 entries. please help me!

Major counter is swampert. Bulky and can know rock moves, this guy is deadly. Just needs to watch out for solarbeam. Haxorus is one I have used to counter the moth. Rock slide decimated it. Basically, any physical flying, water or rock moves destroy volcarona. And the common ones are: stone edge, rock slide, waterfall, brave bird ect. Most sets have quiver dance and this is the part where it fails. If the foe has a physical rock move, your done for. That means terrakion and tyranitar. Also, it is outsped by lots of pokemon with STAB moves against volcarona. Archeops and aerodactyl cause lots of trouble, both outspeeding the moth, and have STAB rock moves.

Oh wow. When it comes to Pokemon that have been blessed, Volcarona has been blessed with every tool it could want, but not enough to ship it to the uber tier.
    Let's break the bad news first. It has a horrendous defensive type. Switching in with Stealth Rock in play will strip Volcarona of half of its health by hitting the field. Not only that, it has weaknesses to Water, Flying, and Rock, all pretty common in the forms of Surf, Waterfall, Scald, Hurricane, Brave Bird, and Stone Edge. Not only that, Volcarona's movepool is a bit on the shallow end (though not by much). Its abilities are nothing spectacular.
    Now, the good news. It has an incredible offensive type. Bug and Fire STAB takes down any Celebi, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Reuniclus, Alakazam, Latias, Latios, Scizor, or Breloom that dares show up. That list is only small compared to what Volcarona can truly take down. As stated, before, Volcarona does not have much of a movepool, but has plenty of options plus one or two more two make something happen. Volcarona's most amazing move it has is Quiver Dance, being a staple move on any and almost every set Volcarona uses. Its signiture Fiery Dance can boost Volcarona's power level to sky high levels. The best part about Quiver Dance is that it boosts Volcarona's best stats at once. Also, the bug-type lets Volcarona switch in on fighting types that don't have Stone Edge safely.
    Volcarona is an amazing Pokemon, but it really needs Rapid Spin support or Stealth Rock will kill it.
    Now, onto movesets:

The Moth in the Flame that doesn't Burn!
    EVs: 252 defense and HP, 4 speed
    @: Leftovers

Quiver Dance
    Morning Sun
    Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
    Bug Buzz

After one Quiver Dance, Volcarona becomes very scary. This set aims to accumulate multiple Quiver Dance boosts.

Moth to a Flamethrower!
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp or sp defense
    @: Life Orb/Leftovers

Quiver Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
    Hidden Power Ground/Morning Sun/Solarbeam

An offensive Quiver Dance route. Morning Sun is used if you want multiple uses while holding Life Orb. Solarbeam should only be used on Sun teams.

Quiver Dancing in the...Rain?
    EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
    @: Life Orb

Quiver Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Hurricane
    Hidden Power Water/Fire Blast

Time to use our imagination a bit. It seems counterproductive to use Volcarona on a Rain team, but Volcarona checks the most dangerous threats to Rain teams like Celebi, Ludicolo, and others. You do the rest.

Other options:
    Psychic is useless.
    Flame Charge is useless.
    Magnet Rise is useless.
    Flamethrower is the middle ground between Fiery Dance and Fire Blast. Middle Ground does not work here.
    Physical sets defeat the purpose of having Quiver Dance.

Counters:
    Stealth Rock. After that, a solid STAB move should do the trick. Particularly a Physical hit. Just watch for Flame Body. Unless your equipped with Guts.
    I claim Buizel.

Holy crap. An OU Pokemon in the POTW? I'll be editing this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    What s so terrible in Flame body it is not like you will be all the time: "come on volcarona BURN! it is a nice ability which can criple somme attackers.
    Sure flame body is a decent ability, but volcarona is so frail in the defensive side (physically at least) that it cannot abuse it's effect. A volcarona targeted by a decently strong enough physical attack is as good as dead!
    This ability, alongside other luck based abilities like static, poison point and effect spore are best used with bulkier pokemon that can take hits well... That was all i was trying to say!

What's ironic is Larvesta and Volcarona, along with Ferroseed and evo can't learn attract yet they have genders. Anyway Rapid Spin support is needed hands down
    Still creepy about these four not learning attract(nincada doesn't count)

"Hrm, I sure hope it will be Volcarona today, because if it isn't, I'm just going to plain give up."

*looks*

0_o

Volcarona is infamous as, upon first being introduced, it was initially shunned due to the Bug/Fire Typing, but shot up quickly to OU when people realized the great destructive potential of Quiver Dance. Volcarona is easily countered, but can cause widescale destruction when it sets up enough. The traditional set is Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance/Fire Blast, then either Hurricane or a Hidden Power to help counter Heatran, Terrakion, or Jellicent. Many times in the past and even just yesterday, I've gone from a total loss to a devastating win just after a few Dances. Because of this, I have taken it upon myself to create most of my first Gen 5 teams based off crazy Volcarona sets:

Choice @ Choice Specs/Scarf
    4 Attack, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
    Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack)/Timid (+Speed, - Special Attack)
    Swarm/Flame Body
    U-turn/Flamethrower
    Overheat/Fire Blast
    Bug Buzz
    Hidden Power/Hurricane

Everyone uses Quiver Dance. Some people just aren't that patient. Dance around your counters with U-turn instead! (I am aware Stealth Rock exists; that's why you use something that can keep that clear.) Why waste a Quiver Dance and chance a Bug Buzz when you might get countered when you can just unleash a Specs-powered Overheat instead? I personally use U-turn, Overheat, and Hidden Grass Power on the one team I have Choicerona on.

SubPinch @ Salac, Petaya, Lum
    4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, Timid
    Substitute
    Quiver Dance
    Fiery Dance/Hidden Power
    Bug Buzz

You say Swarm is worthless? I DEFY YOU! This set can be comparable to Belly Drum in that it purposely puts me at low HP to promise a frightengly strong hit; therefore your team must be built to accomodate that weakness. After a single Quiver Dance, Volcarona should be able to outspeed anything without its own Speed boost (Salac is thrown on there as insurance, but if you don't want that insurance, bring in Petaya). Quiver Dance is your basic lazer-charger, and Fiery Dance is used to bump off lower-health targets that aren't worth a Buzz. Remember: Swarm, bring your damage to overkill proportions. Sub used as a protection move and can give you a bonus boost off your berry. Aside from priority issues, Volcarona also suffers from certain counters, which must always be removed.

ChestoRest @ whaddyathink
    248 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpAtk, Modest
    Flame Body
    Quiver Dance
    Rest
    Fiery Dance/Flamethrower
    Bug Buzz/Hidden Power

This is the set that pulls me from a total loss. Volcarona is rather bulky in itself, but sometimes, you can't boost fast enough and have enough health remaining to sweep properly. This Pokemon, after Dancing enough, will fend off Rotom's relentless Hydro Pumps, Rest up to ideal health, then punish Rotom with extreme prejudice. This Volcarona still has issues with being outsped by Stone Edge users, even with max Speed. The main advantage to this set is to shrug off Volcarona's other weakness, Thunder Wavers and Toxic users, like nothing. I prefer Flamethrower as Fire Blast's higher power and Fiery Dance's effect, I think, are unnecessary.

Defensive @ Leftovers
    248 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef, Bold
    Flame Body
    Morning Sun
    WOW
    Quiver Dance/Amnesia
    Bug Buzz

I'm infamous for using defensive Moltres in Gen 4 OU. Well, imagine how incredible Volcarona would be had it had Lava Plume. Of course it doesn't, so here's the next best thing: Will-o-Wisp. This is bound to catch those incoming Terrakion off-guard. This set focuses on Quiver Dance's defensive properties, and the Speed boost that lets it Burn things faster, literally. With Volcarona's prolonged longevity, Flame Body also has a greater chance of being set off. Morning Sun is no Roost, but it's an acceptable healing move in sun. Low PP may be an issue, but after a few Quiver Dances, Volcarona is prime to knock out problem opponents with the unresisted BB.

Volcarona could find use on a Rain team by forgoing its Fire-STAB with Hurricane (and if you want, use Fiery Dance or Fire Blast anyway). I don't highly recommend it. Otherwise, Ninetales is a very considerable partner just to compete with Politoed's popularity. A method to deal with Stealth Rock is a given. Choice Band is an option, but Larvesta is better (due to higher Attack), and even then I don't recommend it. Larvesta does have spectacular Attack and good Speed for a Little Cupper and even the lower tiers, though. I guess you could try using Calm Mind Larvesta, but I don't recommend it. Flame Charge Larvesta could work.

Volcarona gets Safeguard to block against crippling Thunder Waves, but you might as well use Substitute. I guess it works in multibattles? You can use Magnet Rise just to troll. Other possible interests are Rage Powder and Whirlwind. Psychic works to hit non-Scarf Terrakion hard, but it has extremely limited utility otherwise so you might as well use Hidden Power. I recommend using cherubi.com and its damage calculator to double-check.

I highly recommend Volcarona usage in an Ubers team. It definitely has potential. In multi-battles, it has too many exploitable weaknesses. It has Hurricane and Heat Wave for VGC usage I guess.

FIRST POST EVER.

I find Volcarona one of the most powerful Pokemon I have ever used in the BW generation, simply because of its great stats. And Quiver Dance was literally made for Volcarona. +Sp Atk, +Sp Def, AND +Speed each +1?!? This borders on insane because Volcarona off the bat, is a really good Special sweeper. The boost in Sp Atk is only made even better through the boost in Speed and Sp Def to help its defenses, which are okay, but not stellar. The best Quiver Dancer of them all, beating out the other moths and butterflies.

Dance All Your Worries Away...

Nature: Modest
    Item: Leftovers

Quiver Dance
    Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Heat Wave
    Bug Buzz
    Hidden power [ground or grass]/Wild Charge/ Hurricane/Morning Sun

Dance all your worries away because Volcarona will dominate. This is the set I run most often because it simply is a great sweeping set. Quiver Dance to boost Sp Atk, Sp Def, and Speed. Bug Buzz for strong bug type move. The fire type move is simply preference. I personally run Heat Wave most of the time because I do double battles quite often and I get an added possible burn infliction, but if you're not worried too much about double battling, then Fiery Dance is the best move to go with because of that 50% chance of boosting the Sp. Atk, thus making the next move even more powerful. The last move is simply a filler. With Quiver Dance already boosting your already-decent speed, Wild Charge is an interesting choice. Despite the recoil damage, you do get some water type coverage, which is one of the type Volcarona should happily avoid. Hurricane is there because of a 30% chance of confusion, and it can hit opponents while using a move like Fly, another move Volcarona should fear. Hidden Power Ground or Grass to counter Rock types which are 4x effective against Volcarona. Morning Sun to restore lost HP, plus Leftovers for turn-to-turn recovery. Basically to make Volcarona last as long as it can before it dies. Also, any physical attack coming at you due to your Sp. Def. boost has a chance of getting slapped in the face with a burn because of Flame Body, cutting their Atk. power in half. Volcarona will totally troll in this regard. Love the hax factor of Volcarona <3

EVs: basically what the majority of what everyone else is saying. Too lazy to put that here xD

Other Options:
    Solar Beam: run this only if you have drought or some sunlight out to counter the waters and rocks that will most certainly kill you.
    Fire Blast: Some like Fire Blast as opposed to the other ones, but Fire Blast misses at the worst times. I rather have a move that will more reliably hit than have a move that will miss occasionally, despite the nice power boost
    Flare Blitz: If you want to surprise an enemy expecting a completely special sweeper. Not really recommended because Volcarona's strengths are NOT in Atk.
    Rage Powder: If you want for Volcarona to be the sole target while you set up another Pokemon...people will already be targeting Volcarona first, so not really recommended. Not to mention you'll be wanting to set up Volcarona instead
    Return: For a strong Normal type move with few resistances...just an option, again not recommended.

Double/Triples: Go with Heat Wave, but it's weak against Surf and Earthquake and Rock Slide...and basically all things Rock. AND ALL ENTRY HAZARDS, like Stealth Rock. Bring a Rapid spinner, or Volcarona will die really quick, and you will have no chance to set up a Quiver Dance.

Countering Volcarona: USE STEALTH ROCK. Stealth rock reduces Volcarona's HP by half, and then it becomes realy easy to beat it. Any bulky rock or water type should fair decently against Volcarona. If you don't beat Volcarona quickly, it can set up Quiver Dance, outspeed you, and then continue on to sweep your team with ease. A dangerous Pokemon that should be dealt with quickly or with a really bulky Water type...Swampert, Jellicent could both get the job done. Blissey can absorb all of Volcarona's attacks and Toxic stall with Volcarona...Just get rid of this pest quickly or your battle will be over quickly.
    Last edited by SiLverFlier; 21st May 2012 at 6:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    What do you mean flame body isn't great? 30% to burn when touched is great. It screws scizor to.
    Well, it could be better... Plus, it has really low Defense >__O
    But yeah, I did understate it.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Volcarona, the breeders best friend and a Pokemon that from the beginning has been determined to change the image of the bug type by being given stats and a move pool built to sweep with options letting it fight in sun or even rain(was already mentioned but I think that that is important).

About it's ability, It certainly isn't as useless as some of the people here seem to think. It helps by giving the potential of crippling the attack of any Pokemon that makes contact with it (unless they are fire type) which given that most physical moves are contact as well means the opponent needs to risk having one their physical attackers effectively removed from the game as a threat, or try and hit it from the special side which will be far more difficult given Volcarona's high special base stats and the likely hood of boosts. All in all it means it is riskyer to take out even so slightly so if you want to beat it you NEED stealth rocks up...
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

Ah, Volcarona. My first ever EV-trained Pokemon, and when run in the same team as an EV-trained Hydregon providing extra coverage, the crap goes down!

Volcamothra
    Volcarona@Life Orb
    Modest nature
    Flame Body
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    ~Bug Buzz/Hurricane/Psychic
    ~Quiver Dance
    ~Hidden Power (Dragon)/(Ground)/Solarbeam

This set is THE Volcarona set, in my experience. Fiery Dance makes this thing a true monster, and when coupled with Quiver Dance, it's Special Attack goes through the roof. If you prefer to rely on Quiver Dance (understandable, considering Volcarona's stats), then it goes to the traditional debate of power vs. accuracy - Fire Blast is lethal combined with Quiver Dance, but Flamethrower has the accuracy.

After that point, it goes down to greater personal choice, although unlike other Fire-types, Volcarona's movepool is limited. Bug Buzz combos well against Psychic & Dark types, while Hurricane is for those who fear Politoad and it's Drizzle. Psychic helps out with any Fighting-types, specifically Terrakion, one of the many counters for Volcarona that may leap from the woodwork in OU.

Likewise, the final slot is essentially filler. Hidden Power Dragon leaves only one thing resistant to a combination of it, the fire move of your choice, and the final special move - Heatran. Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran, but opens up a gap in coverage for a rather large array of Pokemon. Solarbeam, I added as an afterthought - the Volcarona I've been running lacked both Hidden Power and this, because it had a Bug-type Hidden Power, so I simply used Hurricane to great effect as a surprise switch-in against a Rain Dish Ludicolo who thought he was safe in the rain. Solarbeam takes advantage of something all Volcarona should never be without - Ninetails support. Or Groudon, if you're insane enough to run it in Ubers. Good counter for Rock-types aiming to grab a quick KO with Stone Edge, but considering most Rock-type switch-ins would have Sturdy (or not be Rock-type), then it's rather pointless.

Ability is non-negotiable, even when Swarm is released. (Swarm? WHY GAME FREAK WHY?) EVs are kinda obvious, and are the same thing everyone else agrees that it needs. Item should be obvious, especially if you run Hidden Power/Fiery Dance.

Other Options
    Morning Sun is a viable recovery move with Ninetails support, but useless away.
    Magnet Rise....forget it. Volcarona, aside for Morning Sun, HAS NOTHING ELSE.
    If you were totally insane, you could try running one of Larvesta's physical moves.... who am I kidding?

Partners
    Sun support. Something that likes Rain/Sandstorm/Hail. Basically, those are the main areas Volcarona needs - Sun for the extra boost to the fire move of choice, and something else to take advantage of weather. Heatran is possible, but if you have Heatran, why are you running Volcarona, aside for it's beauty?

Counters
    Stealth Rocks. Half-health gone on switching in? Good if you're planning a Swarm-boosted Substitute sweep, absolutely disastrous any other time. On top of that, any relatively fast/strong Rock-type capable of taking a special hit is a counter. Tyranitar counts here, but watch for Bug Buzz. Even a spec. defense boost from Sand Stream won't save you from that.

Prediction
    Well, this and Stunfisk were two of the three shinies a guy gave me for trading cards.... I'm going to have to guess Hydregon.
    Last edited by StreetFlare; 21st May 2012 at 8:55 AM.

One of the most effective larvesta sets in the current LC metagame.

Bulky Bug
    Larvesta @eviolite
    EVs: 156 HP, 76 Atk, 236 def, 40 spe, Impish
    Flame Body
    -Flare Blitz
    -Morning Sun
    -U-turn/Will-o-wisp/Sunny day
    -Wild Charge/U-turn/Sunny day

Makes a really solid counter to the huge ammount of fighting types running around LC as well as common threats like snover. Flame body threatens burns, discouraging things like mienfoo from spamming HJK, Flare blitz is a solid STAB that hurts a lot even without a lot of investment. Morning Sun is larvesta's only form of recovery. Will-o-wisp provides reliable burns, permanently crippling physical attackers. U-turn preserves momentum while still dealing good damage as it gets STAB. Wild charge gives good coverage against things like staryu while sunny day ensures that morning sun will restore good health and flare blitz will hurt even more. EVs grant it solid 24/24/18 defenses with eviolite while still preserving offensive pressure.
    Is a Jesus Freak and proud of it

volcarona. one of the top bug types since scizors debut. whilst scizor remains OU for it technician bullet punch and pursuit Volcarona is a frightening power house especially after one Quiver Dance, a move no volcarona shouldn't have for no explainable reason. It makes volcarona.

standard

QUIVER DANCE
    Bug Buzz
    Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
    Hidden Power Rock/Ground
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Ev's: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 def
    Item: Life Orb

Quiver dance is a must, or it boosts it's Sp.Atk, Sp.Def and speed (it's 3 bests stats) by one stage. Bug Buzz is an Attack crux as, like quiver dance no volcarona shouldn't have (plus that luck Sp.def drop will force switches or risk KO). for its fire move either will do; fire blast for power and fiery dance if the accuracy isn't to your liking plus it's 50% Sp.Atk boost will make volcarona slaughter teams with ease(of which ive suffered a few times on PO) hidden power is a filler move to provide coverage(mines has rock but im sure ground is also helpful). Nature: either will do

strangly effective rain moth

QUIVER DANCE
    Bug Buzz
    Hurricane
    Hidden Power(water)/Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
    Nature: modest/timid
    EV's: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def
    Item: Life Orb

much like the standard set but can take advantage of the rain with its Hurricane(now 100% acc and still 30% confusion) Quiver dance and Bug Buzz are still a MUST. the last move can be HP Water exploit the rain a little more. Fire Blast and Fiery Dance are still an option in case of Ninetales.

bulky moth

QUIVER DANCE
    Bug Buzz
    Fiery Dance
    Morning Sun
    Nature: Bold
    EV's:240 HP, 216 Def, 52 Speed
    Ability: 'Flame Body' for this set

taking a more defensive approach to setting up with the HP investment it can sitch in to stealth rocks 2x, the def invest is just enough as flame body will, if it activates, does the rest. like all sets Quiver Dance and Bug Buzz are still a must. Fiery Dance is preffered for its decent power and 50% Sp.Atk boost but im sure Fire Blast is still fine Morning Sun is the best form of recovery with 50% Hp restore(66% in SUN, thus making Ninetales a grest partner). one can opt for Rest with chesto berry but morning sun is better.

partners:
    Ninetales: to set up sun to boost volcarona's already frightening fire moves
    Politoed: only for the hurricane set
    RAPID SPIN: with its 4x weakness to rock you need to clear away those stealth rocks and the one setting up whilst your at it.
    Heal Bell: any supporter wilth this move will be nice as thunder wave cripples the sweeping sets and toxic hinders the bulky one.

The Quiver Sweeper
    Item Life Orb
    Nature Timid/Modest
    Ability Flame Body
    EVs 252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    Move Set
    Fiery Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Psychic
    Quiver Dance
    Fiery Dance have 50% chance to gain Special Attack which really help Volcarona to sweep your opponent Pokemon. Bug Buzz for a powerful STAB move, also it has average power and high accuracy. Psychic just for more coverage. Quiver Dance to sweep your opponent Pokemon by gaining Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed, the main thing to use Quiver Dance on this Volcarona is to gain Special Attack and Speed. Life Orb for more Special Attack.

Defensive Volcarona?
    Item Leftover
    Nature Modest/Timid/Calm
    Ability Flame Body
    EVs 124 Special Attack/124 Special Defense/252 Speed/8 HP
    Move Set
    Fiery Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Morning Sun
    Quiver Dance
    Fiery Dance for a good STAB move and it has 50% chance to gain Special Attack. Bug Buzz for a powerful STAB move. Morning Sun to make Volcarona more defensive by recovering HP by half. Quiver Dance to gain Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed, the main thing to use Quiver Dance for this set is to gain Special Defense. Leftover to gain Volcarona HP by 1/16 every turn which make Volcarone more Defensive

Other Options
    Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Water or Hidden Power Grass :Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Water help to kill Heatran, but it only help Volcarona when it try to kill Fire or Rock Type Pokemon. Hidden Power Grass to kill Water type Pokemon.
    Fire Blast: Fire Blast is as powerful as Fiery Dance when it has 1 Special Attack boost, but most people still think that Fiery Dance is better because it has high chance to gain Special Attack 2 stages
    Hurricane: It give some more coverage, also it has high power, however Psychic give more coverage. Hurricane work best with Rain Team because it will always hit, but who use Volcarona in Rain Team?
    Solar Beam: Only use this move in the sun, it has pretty high power and give some coverage, but if you don't have a Pokemon to setup Sunny Day or Drought Ability Pokemon, then use Hidden Power Grass instead to kill Water type Pokemon.
    Substitute: For Defensive Volcarona only, Substitue make Volcarona harder to defeat by making a Sub, but it is not as useful as Morning Sun because your opponent may have chance to break the Sub all the time when Volcarona use Substitue and Morning Sun recover Volcarona HP by half which is pretty much (or even more if you have sunlight)

Abilities
    Flame Body
    When Volcarona get inflict damage by a Physical Attack move, it has 30% to burn your opponent Pokemon. Pretty good ability to burn your opponent Pokemon
    Swarm
    When Volcarona HP is bellow 1/3 HP, it will gain all Bug type move by 1.5. Not really useful because you will not always use Bug type move when your HP is low, but sometime it is useful when your HP is low and you use Bug Type move

Partners
    A good partner for Volcarona is Ninetales because of Drought ability which will sent Sunshine weather out. It is better for the Defensive Volcarona because Morning Sun will gain Volcarona HP to maximum instead of gaining half. Also in Sunshine all Fire Attack move will have more base power by 50%. A Rapid Spinner help Volcarona to get Stealth Rock out, so it will not loss half of its HP when it is switch in. A Dual Screen partner might help Volcarona to stay longer in a battle by doubling its Defense and Special Defense.

Double and Triple Battle Options
    Not many good move to use in Double or Triple Battle, the only good move is Heat Wave because it hit all of your opponent Pokemon. Volcarona is not a very good Pokemon in Double or Triple Battle, though.

Counters
    The main counters for Volcarona is Stealth Rock which will inflict half of Volcarona HP when it was switch in. The another counter for Volcarona is Rain Weather which will lower Fiery Dance base power and it make Morning Sun only gain 25% of its HP instead of 50%. Sandstorm and Hail also make Morning Sun recover only 25% of its HP. Heatran can resist nearly every move that Volcarona can use except for Hidden Power Water and Hidden Power Ground. Nearly every Rock Type Pokemon can OHKO Volcarona with Stone Edge or Rock Slide.
    Last edited by chap196; 24th May 2012 at 4:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post
    Sure flame body is a decent ability, but volcarona is so frail in the defensive side (physically at least) that it cannot abuse it's effect. A volcarona targeted by a decently strong enough physical attack is as good as dead!
    This ability, alongside other luck based abilities like static, poison point and effect spore are best used with bulkier pokemon that can take hits well... That was all i was trying to say!
    1. flame body activates even when something faints.
    2.it is better than unnerve.
    3.When you inverst in bulk volcarona can take some neutral physical hits and it just might switch into a fighting move or scizor and burn them.

It is not something you want to abuse too much but a nice edition to your arsenal abilities sometimes are just a side effect and not a main niche it don't make flame body bad at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Volcarona don't have Unnerve Ability, the other ability is Swarm, but I agree with you, Flame Body is a better ability than Swarm because it has 30% chance to burn your opponent Pokemon when your opponent Attack a Physical Attack move on Volcarona (30% is pretty much) and Swarm is not that useful because you won't use Bug type move all the time when your HP is low, so yeah Flame Body is better.

Quote Originally Posted by chap196 View Post
    Volcarona don't have Unnerve Ability, the other ability is Swarm, but I agree with you, Flame Body is a better ability than Swarm because it has 30% chance to burn your opponent Pokemon when your opponent Attack a Physical Attack move on Volcarona (30% is pretty much) and Swarm is not that useful because you won't use Bug type move all the time when your HP is low, so yeah Flame Body is better.
    Better than unnerve= better than nothing I meant it is a useful ability not like unnerve.

Swarm is good if volcarona have subtitute it can get to swarm area very easily especially after SR damage.
    and with swarm sub quiver dance would be more viable.

The problem with sub volcarona is that you need to give up on coverage/healing or quiver dance and it needs rapid spin to work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Volcarona

Special Wall

EVs : 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Def
    Nature: Calm
    -Amnesia/Quiver Dance
    -Substitute/Toxic/Morning Sun
    -Substitute/Protect/Morning Sun
    -Bug Buzz/Fire Blast/Overheat/Fiery Dance
    Whew, that as a lot of slashes. Most of the above sets are for Offensive Volcarona, this one isn't as Volcarona has quite good bulk if SR isn't up. The main move on this set is Amnesia, what you do is you amnesia a couple of times on a Special attacker or another Volcarona then either use Toxic or set up or heal, you can also use Quiver Dance but it doesn't boost your Sp. Def as much. Only keep Protect if you are using Toxic. You can put another support move in the last slot but this makes you Taunt bait.

Wall

EVs : 252 HP/136 Def/ 120 Sp.Def
    Nature: Calm/Bold
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect/Substitute/Amnesia/Quiver Dance
    -Morning Sun/Amnesia/Quiver Dance
    -Bug Buzz/Fire Blast/Overheat/Fiery Dance
    This set is a lot like the set above but there are many key differences. For starters this set has Def EVs and Will-o-Wisp allowing Volcarona to take a few more Physical hits. You also don't have Toxic as I prefer Will-o-Wisp but you can have Toxic if you wish. Morning Sun is a recovery move while Amnesia boosts your Sp. Def, Quiver Dance is another option but it doesn't boost your Sp. Def as much. Choose wisely as if you don't have Morning Sun (Which is a tad unreliable thanks to popularity of SS teams or rain teams) you are without recovery except Leftovers while if you don't have Amnesia you are open to powerful Sp. Atks Quiver Dance is if you want speed, Sp. Atk but less Sp. Def than Amnesia.

Larvesta

LC Offensive/Tank

Item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Evolite/Choice Band
    EVs : 236 Atk/196 Spd/ 76HP
    Nature: Adamant
    -Wild Charge
    -Flare Blitz
    -U-Turn
    -Zen Headbutt
    The reason for the different EVs is because if you put 252 EVs into Attack you would get 19 attack however if you put 236 you will still get 19 attack. It is the same for speed. Choose leftovers to heal recoil, life orb/Choice Band for power or Evolite for Defense. Basically you attack and attack and attack. Zen Headbutt is there to deal with fighting types and the odd poison type. U-turn is there for scouting. Pretty self-explanatory.
    Last edited by tomjames1966; 21st May 2012 at 6:27 PM.

Credit to iPokemon^

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast