Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Pokemon Voice Actor

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    4Kids era: Eric Stuart. He was great as Brock and James.

PUSA era: Jimmy Zoppi. I just love Meowth and James's current voices. No disrespect to the late Maddie, though.

Least favorite: Ted Lewis. Although I like Tracey, all Ted's voices sounded the same.
    I almost completely agree with this, although I prefer Maddie for Meowth and Eric as James, so we differ there and on the following sentence:

4Kids Era for me is also a toss-up between Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart, though, for me. It's a tie I guess for me between the two.

TPCi Era for me is definitely Jimmy Zoppi/James Cathcart for me.

I also find Ted Lewis fairly overrated, and I'm strongly in favor of 4Kids' take when it comes to the English dub for the voice acting.

Others I'd like to add to the overrated list are Dan Green and Sean Schemmel. Yes, I like both best for Yugi and Goku, respectively. But they're not particularly excellent voice over artists to me, either, not in Pokemon.

TPCi's overrated def goes to Michele Knotz. She's decent, but all her voices are just 1) poor imitations of Lillis with the exception of May or 2) completely different from source material (May).
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 24th November 2012 at 4:10 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

I liked Eric Stuart, his Brock was so memorable. His performance as several of the Pokémon was certainly better than nowadays - now they sound like a jackass in a recording booth thinking "What's the most retarded and unfitting voice and pronounciation we can give this Pokémon?".

Also, I like Phillip Barlett's take on Mewtwo, I haven't seen Dan Green's performance though.

Ted Lewis as Tracey, and Scyther's VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Ted Lewis as Tracey, and Scyther's VA.
    Ted Lewis is a good, solid VA. I liked his work as Tracey the most of any of his roles. Just find him quite overrated compared to VAs with...exceptional VA talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    I liked Eric Stuart, his Brock was so memorable. His performance as several of the Pokémon was certainly better than nowadays - now they sound like a jackass in a recording booth thinking "What's the most retarded and unfitting voice and pronounciation we can give this Pokémon?".

Also, I like Phillip Barlett's take on Mewtwo, I haven't seen Dan Green's performance though.
    Eric Stuart was a real treat to hear in the Pokemon dub. Very talented voice actor- only critiques I've seen of his performances are his James in Hoenn-BF, to which I have to say I honestly enjoyed more than Miki Shinichiro. Eric gave James QUITE the funny voice, but could also make him DEAD serious if need be. The guy had incredible range, but excellent voices to go with it. Fairly underrated voice actor. He still does some cameos in YGO Zexal by Konami (he played Gourry again for the FUNimation dub of Slayers as well), but he's mainly a musician atm, focusing on his music. He says it was to get away from the craziness of NY, and I'm happy for him no matter what he decides to do in the future. He's still willing to return to Pokemon, given the chance to do so, along with Veronica Taylor one day.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 24th November 2012 at 2:41 AM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

I've always liked Prof. Oak's 4kids voice.

Even when the show first started, he was the first voice I actually really enjoyed. I'm not sure why, he just had the perfect voice that fit the character.

I honestly don't think I'd be a Prof. Oak fan today if it weren't for his voice.

^ Yeah, when I first heard Prof. Oak he sounded exactly like I imagined he would. It was almost scary. Kudos to Mr. Stuart Zagnit!
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    ^ Yeah, when I first heard Prof. Oak he sounded exactly like I imagined he would. It was almost scary. Kudos to Mr. Stuart Zagnit!
    Glad Mr. Zagnit got to return as Cedric Juniper this season. Ehh...I don't think Stuart Zagnit was extremely good though. What I mean is, not like he was a standout among the 4Kids dub cast (thought he was very good-excellent). Sure I liked his voice and still do, but 4Kids had plenty of other better voices it brought to the table (i.e. the main cast = phenomenal IMO)

My favorites for the dub are Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, Maddie Blaustein, Rachael Lillis, and Amy Birnbaum (5-way tie). They really bring the anime dub to life for me. Don't mind Sarah and her crew, but for personal preference Taylor and company are the best way for me to experience the anime in English.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 24th November 2012 at 4:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Ted Lewis is a good, solid VA. I liked his work as Tracey the most of any of his roles. Just find him quite overrated compared to VAs with...exceptional VA talent.
    I did enjoy the other voices, but none beat Scyther.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    I did enjoy the other voices, but none beat Scyther.
    I understand. Scyther's cry was badass.

Oooh we're talking about Pokemon voices? Haunter and Electabuzz. Nuff' said. "EEELE-BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUB!!"
    I can never get enough of that .
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Oooh we're talking about Pokemon voices? Haunter and Electabuzz. Nuff' said. "EEELE-BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUB!!"
    I can never get enough of that .
    ROFL. Ones I dislike are like Zebstrika (did you guys hear the BW dub cry? -_-) and Piplup (it was a bit annoying) = xD.

Here's my list of favorites at this point as of BW103:

Pokemon (Original JPN): Yuji Ueda; Mamoru Miyano; Shinichiro Miki; Mayumi Iizuka; Fushigi Yamada; KAORI
    Pokemon (4Kids English dub): Veronica Taylor; Eric Stuart; Rachael Lillis; Maddie Blaustein; Nathan Price; Amy Birnbaum
    Pokemon (TPCi English dub): Craig Blair; Emlyn Morinelli; Jason Griffith
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 28th November 2012 at 4:48 PM.

I was searching youtube recently and came across a clip of Veronica Taylor from 2008 filmed in some anime convention. (I think you guys may have seen it, she's sitting next to Rachael Lilis in a panel)

Someone from the crowd asks her who her favorite character in Pokemon was, and while she essentially says Ash (no surprise there), she actually seemed to imply she enjoyed voicing May's character more than Ash's. Kinda funny to me, since she only did voice May for only 3 years compared to Ash's 8 years.

I swear, Veronica's May doesn't get enough recognition. Its like the only time fans bring her up its always about her Ash voice. I wonder if some people still actually don't know that Veronica played May.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I was searching youtube recently and came across a clip of Veronica Taylor from 2008 filmed in some anime convention. (I think you guys may have seen it, she's sitting next to Rachael Lilis in a panel)

Someone from the crowd asks her who her favorite character in Pokemon was, and while she essentially says Ash (no surprise there), she actually seemed to imply she enjoyed voicing May's character more than Ash's. Kinda funny to me, since she only did voice May for only 3 years compared to Ash's 8 years.

I swear, Veronica's May doesn't get enough recognition. Its like the only time fans bring her up its always about her Ash voice. I wonder if some people still actually don't know that Veronica played May.
    Agreed. I think a lot of people don't know that she voiced May. I'm actually finding her Ash is heavily overrated these days in comparison to her fellow VAs from the 4Kids English dub: it's like most fans confuse the show Pokemon for Ash's Adventures. I've noticed the fav among the casts seem to be Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart for the 4Kids dub and Michele Knotz and James Cathcart for TPCi dub. I actually do agree that those are the best VAs from both casts IMO. Still personally I really do think after rewatching all the dub eps the 4Kids English cast is a much better pick for the chars than the current, though I'm used to the current VAs and can at least tolerate them now although I'd rather 4Kids edited dub than TPCi's less edited dub and their voice talent when all is said and done. Veronica Taylor doesn't even want to talk about Pokemon anymore: she seems almost traumatized by the very mention of it. I really am very ashamed to see how they were treated and it's quite pathetic to see how little people respect them and 4Kids for their dub. Money, greed, lies, and real life had to hit Pokemon- it sucks but eventually these things happen and nothing can be done. Sucks that SOVA and others couldn't stop this in the end, but money wins over the fans and that's that. What's hilarious is that people still want her back as Ash with or without the others and I know she'd never do that and I'm glad she won't. She even went as far as in 2008 to say then PUSA killed Pokemon. There's a vid on YouTube with her stating that. She obviously doesn't like the way she and the others were treated. Neither does Eric Stuart: he recently said he was fine with being replaced but the way it was done for money and greed, he is not fine with. They literally told him that fans wouldn't care if we recast the show...I applaud both of them for staying so strong after being treated that way. At least Eric's music career is looking better and he seems a lot happier these days. Mrs. Taylor also seems happy excluding Pokemon talk. Haven't heard from Rachael in a long time but ever since the cameo she got in S11 she seems traumatized and doesn't wish to return as far as I see.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 4th December 2012 at 2:52 AM.

The 4Kids dub crew will always hold a special place in my heart. They were an extremely talented crew, and it's unfortunate TPCi didn't make a greater effort to retain them.

Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Rachael Lillis are by far my favorites.

And of course, Ikue Ohtani for her Pikachu.

Quote Originally Posted by Agility View Post
    The 4Kids dub crew will always hold a special place in my heart. They were an extremely talented crew, and it's unfortunate TPCi didn't make a greater effort to retain them.

Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Rachael Lillis are by far my favorites.

And of course, Ikue Ohtani for her Pikachu.
    Amen. Same goes for me as well, although I'd add Blaustein and Birnbaum because the original 5 were just amazing in my eyes. What a shame but they'll always define Ash and the others to me. The current crew simply aren't on that level and I doubt they will be in all sincerity.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th December 2012 at 3:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Agreed. I think a lot of people don't know that she voiced May. I'm actually finding her Ash is heavily overrated these days in comparison to her fellow VAs from the 4Kids English dub: it's like most fans confuse the show Pokemon for Ash's Adventures. I've noticed the fav among the casts seem to be Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart for the 4Kids dub and Michele Knotz and James Cathcart for TPCi dub. I actually do agree that those are the best VAs from both casts IMO. Still personally I really do think after rewatching all the dub eps the 4Kids English cast is a much better pick for the chars than the current, though I'm used to the current VAs and can at least tolerate them now although I'd rather 4Kids edited dub than TPCi's less edited dub and their voice talent when all is said and done. Veronica Taylor doesn't even want to talk about Pokemon anymore: she seems almost traumatized by the very mention of it. I really am very ashamed to see how they were treated and it's quite pathetic to see how little people respect them and 4Kids for their dub. Money, greed, lies, and real life had to hit Pokemon- it sucks but eventually these things happen and nothing can be done. Sucks that SOVA and others couldn't stop this in the end, but money wins over the fans and that's that. What's hilarious is that people still want her back as Ash with or without the others and I know she'd never do that and I'm glad she won't. She even went as far as in 2008 to say then PUSA killed Pokemon. There's a vid on YouTube with her stating that. She obviously doesn't like the way she and the others were treated. Neither does Eric Stuart: he recently said he was fine with being replaced but the way it was done for money and greed, he is not fine with. They literally told him that fans wouldn't care if we recast the show...I applaud both of them for staying so strong after being treated that way. At least Eric's music career is looking better and he seems a lot happier these days. Mrs. Taylor also seems happy excluding Pokemon talk. Haven't heard from Rachael in a long time but ever since the cameo she got in S11 she seems traumatized and doesn't wish to return as far as I see.
    Well its been many, many years now. Its probably not something they generally think about anymore unless they're asked by fans. They're adults who work professionally voice acting lots of other characters in other cartoons/anime, so they've moved on. Sure they'd probably all return if given the chance, but they know its very unlikely at this point so they don't bother talking about it anymore.

Granted one thing I must point out, is I don't think either 4kids or the VA's thought the Pokemon anime would go on forever either back in the day. If you listen to those commentaries on the old movie DVDs, they make it sound like they thought the anime was going to end after Johto or something, like they didn't know the show was going to go on throughout a decade. I think they believed Pokemon would only have a 5-7 year run like most standard shows, not go on for 15+ years.

From what it looks like to me, they did go through a sad period where it was painful to talk about Pokemon, but nowadays they seem better about it. Veronica and Eric in particular are constantly attending cons. They did a Pokemon panel earlier this year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoB4aZQVaX4. It's nice that they have so much passion for their career and their fans. They definitely do a lot to make themselves known.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Well its been many, many years now. Its probably not something they generally think about anymore unless they're asked by fans. They're adults who work professionally voice acting lots of other characters in other cartoons/anime, so they've moved on. Sure they'd probably all return if given the chance, but they know its very unlikely at this point so they don't bother talking about it anymore.

Granted one thing I must point out, is I don't think either 4kids or the VA's thought the Pokemon anime would go on forever either back in the day. If you listen to those commentaries on the old movie DVDs, they make it sound like they thought the anime was going to end after Johto or something, like they didn't know the show was going to go on throughout a decade. I think they believed Pokemon would only have a 5-7 year run like most standard shows, not go on for 15+ years.
    True: very valid points you make though Cyber. Just happy they feel better nowadays, although Veronica is still kind of sad but all of them seem a lot happier nowadays for the most part. I feel it's quite stupid how this occurred and it sucks IMO but you know it happens and sometimes it just doesn't work out for some fans. Granted it's been such a long time since then but I get the feeling they would return to cameo like the others, given the chance. But like you said someone there has it out for them for one reason or another, so it's unlikely they will return. But you never know, could happen.

And I think you're definitely right about how I think they felt it would not last nearly this long. 15 years, just think of how long the anime's been running. Hopefully we won't have another one of these recasting messes unless the original dub VAs return by some miracle IMO.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th December 2012 at 4:25 AM.

From what it looks like to me, they did go through a sad period where it was painful to talk about Pokemon, but nowadays they seem better about it. Veronica and Eric in particular are constantly attending cons. They did a Pokemon panel earlier this year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoB4aZQVaX4. It's nice that they have so much passion for their career and their fans. They definitely do a lot to make themselves known.
    I hope, as low as odds are of this happening, SOVA does succeed in hopefully one day getting them back on the show in some form, even just a cameo or two. I think the VAs do seem to care so very much, and that vid is a good example of that, and the voice acting they did really shows to me they loved every minute. I swear, Stuart's James and Blaustein's Meowth are the thing that kept me plowing through Johto fillers because they made me laugh so much. Taylor's Ash makes me cry and tugs at my heartstrings and it seems so genuine, like she really cared for that role and she defines it for me. What can I say but they are simply epic in my eyes. Sure they aren't the best VAs we could have gotten of course, but they definitely were excellent VAs in my eyes and Pokemon International could always use them back on the show, some more talent after all for them.

So it is just a disappointment I guess that things turned out the way they did, but all we can do is hope for the best and look forward.
    I will give credit where credit is due, and that's not to say I hate TPCi voices. At least most of the current crew are leaps and bounds above where they started, and that's great. It's certainly far better than before. Still, the original VAs have a special place in my heart and really deserve better but sadly TPCi didn't seem to think so. 4Kids and them should've just come to an agreement or something in hindsight.

(apologies for double posting to staff: I'm typing this on my iPad so I'd have to retype my message to cyber above and I'm too lazy to do that).
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 11th December 2012 at 6:50 PM.

Just as a note, let's take a moment to remember Maddie Blaustein, who passed away four years ago today (December 11th). Rest in peace, Maddie.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/18 NEW!! 12/23
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    Just as a note, let's take a moment to remember Maddie Blaustein, who passed away four years ago today (December 11th). Rest in peace, Maddie.
    Dammit Wobbanut, you're going to make me cry. Maddie was the way I loved Meowth best (no offense intended to those whose opinions may differ). May she R.I.P. T_T

I really like the original cast of who voiced all the characters. Veronica Taylor as Ash just makes me so happy when I hear him speaking. I don't mind the newer actor, I just would really like her to come back.
    Besides that, what are the names of all the voice actors for Pokemon currently?

~Misty

~Pokeshipping~

My fanfiction account: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2320079/Misty_Ketchum97

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Ketchum66 View Post
    I really like the original cast of who voiced all the characters. Veronica Taylor as Ash just makes me so happy when I hear him speaking. I don't mind the newer actor, I just would really like her to come back.
    Besides that, what are the names of all the voice actors for Pokemon currently?

~Misty
    I prefer and LOVE the original dub voices for all the main characters as well, but I don't mind the current ones either anymore.

Sarah Natochenny is Ash/Delia now.
    Bill Rogers is Brock now.
    Michele Knotz is Misty, Jessie, and May now.
    Kayzie Rogers is Max now.
    James Carter Cathcart is James and Meowth now (Otherwise known as Jimmy Zoppi).

Non-replacements:
    Emily Bauer- Dawn
    Eileen Stevens - Iris
    Jason Griffith- Cilan

That's everyone to my knowledge in The Pokemon Company International (TPCi) version of the English Pokemon dub playing a major role.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 15th December 2012 at 4:06 AM.

Emily Bauer deserves a special mention. Comparing her 3 main characters, Dawn, Cynthia and Officer Jenny of Unova. I feel she captures their personalities in their voices, Dawn, the upbeat young girl filled with excitement and courage, she captures that perfectly in the voice of Dawn and it really reflects her personality. As for Cynthia, the older, more reserved but very knowledgeable champion, she has her voice down to a tee, when I hear her voice, that's exactly what I think and I know that's the character that Cynthia is portrayed as. And then finally Officer Jenny, her voice to me seems like someone who is very serious about situations and that's exactly what the role of Officer Jenny is. Comparing this to voice actors who've played more than one character, I think she sits up there with Veronica Taylor who mastered Ash, May, and Delia's voices without them sounding similar. As well as Rachel when she played Misty and Jessie, she was brilliant at making them distinct, however when she returned to play Maylene, I was disappointed that she was using Misty's voice, it was nice to hear again, but it made me question her abilities. And of course the voice of Brock and James from the original dub. When you compare these 4 actors to the actor who plays Tracey it really makes me disappointed with his acting, same goes with Jason Griffiths, being a fan of Sonic, I heard his other work, and Cilan sounds way too similar to Sonic, Shadow and other characters that he has played.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

Truthfully everyone who played a main character in the series did a pretty good job overall. All of Ash's friends have distinct and proper voices that fit their characters, as do most of the rivals.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever disliked a main characters voice in this show, especially their original ones. Everyone sounds exactly how you expect them to.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast