Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Pokemon Voice Actor

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Truthfully everyone who played a main character in the series did a pretty good job overall. All of Ash's friends have distinct and proper voices that fit their characters, as do most of the rivals.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever disliked a main characters voice in this show, especially their original ones. Everyone sounds exactly how you expect them to.
    That's a fair point, I didn't like Max's voices but that's because the voice grinds on me a lot, but I can't criticise the voice actors for that because that is the voice I expect from him, so they're doing a good job.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

Sometimes I actually wonder what all the DP and BW characters would sound like if 4kids never lost the license to dub the anime, and was still in control of the dub to this day.

Its actually hard to imagine what 4kids would have made them sound like.

Well, I'd imagine Leavanny wouldn't sound like someone in mid-puberty.

And Scolipede's voice wouldn't sound like the actor took helium.

And Archeops wouldn't sound like the guy was drinking water while acting.

And... generally every Pokémon would sound better.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

VeronicaTaylor she voiced ash and his mom

Mind blown

"98% of teens wont stand up for God. Copy and Paste this into your sig if your one of the 2%"
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I prefer and LOVE the original dub voices for all the main characters as well, but I don't mind the current ones either anymore.

Sarah Natochenny is Ash/Delia now.
    Bill Rogers is Brock now.
    Michele Knotz is Misty, Jessie, and May now.
    Kayzie Rogers is Max now.
    James Carter Cathcart is James and Meowth now (Otherwise known as Jimmy Zoppi).

Non-replacements:
    Emily Bauer- Dawn
    Eileen Stevens - Iris
    Jason Griffith- Cilan

That's everyone to my knowledge in The Pokemon Company International (TPCi) version of the English Pokemon dub playing a major role.
    Ohhh okay. I LOVE THE ORIGINAL TOO!! <3 Thanks for sharing, I only knew about Sarah Natochenny.
    I watched an interview with Stephen Staton(voice of Professor Oak) and he said when he found out he wasn't going to be doing Oak anymore, he was mad at the company and really sad about it.

~Misty

~Pokeshipping~

My fanfiction account: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2320079/Misty_Ketchum97

Rachel Lillis is really great as Misty and Jessie. She did an excellent job voicing both! Though Emily Bauer 's Dawn's voice suits the character very well, it would be interesting how Dawn's voice would be if 4kids were still in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    Rachel Lillis is really great as Misty and Jessie. She did an excellent job voicing both! Though Emily Bauer 's Dawn's voice suits the character very well, it would be interesting how Dawn's voice would be if 4kids were still in control.
    Rachael Lilis also voiced Jessie for longer than Misty. She voices Jessie for 8 seasons and Misty for only 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Ketchum66 View Post
    Ohhh okay. I LOVE THE ORIGINAL TOO!! <3 Thanks for sharing, I only knew about Sarah Natochenny.
    I watched an interview with Stephen Staton(voice of Professor Oak) and he said when he found out he wasn't going to be doing Oak anymore, he was mad at the company and really sad about it.

~Misty
    Yeah, Stuart Zagnit/Stan Hart seemed appalled by the whole switch over-- it's very heartbreaking. Good news is, you'll be glad to hear he's gotten a cameo in S15 as Cedric Juniper (sadly Cathcart will remain Professor Oak as his departure does not seem like it will occur). The ones I'm absolutely saddened about now from the original VA cast are Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Amy Birnbaum. Those three have yet to voice any role in the current TPCi dub- it hits me hard as a fan because I truly wish they would get a cameo as well. I mean, if it's possible for the others, why not them? I hope Tom Wayland and TPCi do the right thing and give those three a role or two one day, with all my heart. I know the odds seem almost nonexistent, but it is possible they can cameo one last time.

Say what people will about 4Kids, they did a very good Pokemon dub. It broke my heart to see them lose the show they really seemed to love doing as far as I can tell, edits and all included.

Rachael Lilis also voiced Jessie for longer than Misty. She voices Jessie for 8 seasons and Misty for only 5.
    Loved Lillis. Was very happy she cameoed in S11 as Maylene.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    That's a fair point, I didn't like Max's voices but that's because the voice grinds on me a lot, but I can't criticise the voice actors for that because that is the voice I expect from him, so they're doing a good job.
    I actually think Amy Birnbaum is exactly what I imagined Max/Masato to sound like, so I was very pleased with the 4Kids English dub voice. Kayzie Rogers was too forced in the role and sounded like...Coby from the 4Kids OP dub. I didn't think that voice fit Max too well lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    Emily Bauer deserves a special mention. Comparing her 3 main characters, Dawn, Cynthia and Officer Jenny of Unova. I feel she captures their personalities in their voices, Dawn, the upbeat young girl filled with excitement and courage, she captures that perfectly in the voice of Dawn and it really reflects her personality. As for Cynthia, the older, more reserved but very knowledgeable champion, she has her voice down to a tee, when I hear her voice, that's exactly what I think and I know that's the character that Cynthia is portrayed as. And then finally Officer Jenny, her voice to me seems like someone who is very serious about situations and that's exactly what the role of Officer Jenny is. Comparing this to voice actors who've played more than one character, I think she sits up there with Veronica Taylor who mastered Ash, May, and Delia's voices without them sounding similar. As well as Rachel when she played Misty and Jessie, she was brilliant at making them distinct, however when she returned to play Maylene, I was disappointed that she was using Misty's voice, it was nice to hear again, but it made me question her abilities. And of course the voice of Brock and James from the original dub. When you compare these 4 actors to the actor who plays Tracey it really makes me disappointed with his acting, same goes with Jason Griffiths, being a fan of Sonic, I heard his other work, and Cilan sounds way too similar to Sonic, Shadow and other characters that he has played.
    Eric Stuart was the man (original dub VA of Brock/James/Male Pokedex Kanto, Kanto BF). Guy had great range and each one of his voices had so much flavor and character to it. Honestly he's my favorite male VA in the entire Pokemon dub and Veronica Taylor my favorite female VA in the dub. I know they had their flaws, but they brought so much realism to the role. I think the 4Kids VAs sound so much younger and more youthful/vibrant, whereas the TPCi VAs sound so much older and more aged/wiser. I'm more partial to the 4Kids VAs because I like the lighter voices more-- it brings a surreal realism to the characters in my eyes that was so great. Bauer's Dawn was an excellent voice for TPCi, though: good casting there.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 20th December 2012 at 1:02 AM.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

Harley's VA was also amazing. I remember before the dub got up to Harley's debut episode, a lot of people were worried what 4kids would do to him. Luckily they handled him perfectly.

Lets see...Harley was done by Andrew Rannells. Yeah, he did a great job of making Harley very distinct. That sort of "fabulous flair" in the way Harley says things suits him well and makes him unique. Props to the script writers too for helping create that experience.
    Last edited by Bluelatios*; 22nd December 2012 at 4:24 AM.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Lets see...Harley was done by Andrew Rannells. Yeah, he did a great job of making Harley very distinct. That sort of "fabulous flair" in the way Harley says things suits him well and makes him unique. Props to the script writers too for helping create that experience.
    Andrew Rannells was a better Harley than Bill Timoney, IMO. But Timoney took Rannells and added his own cattiness to it, so his was good as well. For personal preference, Rannells is better for me. Andrew had a more... mellowed out approach...kinda without overdoing it. Though what I am saying about Timoney can be said of Eric Stuart's work in AG as James, though, but I thought the latter was hilarious, so his campy approach during that time period didn't bug me at all. Actually it added to his character for me.

Speaking of this, guys,

"Help me Jessie! I think I have a crush on Harley!" ES as James at one of the Ichibancon 2012 Panels

^ROFL.^

Harley's VA was also amazing. I remember before the dub got up to Harley's debut episode, a lot of people were worried what 4kids would do to him. Luckily they handled him perfectly.
    I've never had a prob with 4Kids work on PKMN (even the onigiri edits and music replacement), but I was also worried about his voice. Rannells was nice casting.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 23rd December 2012 at 5:32 PM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious

I had to look up a few but I already knew some of my favourites.

My favourite voice actors for English 4Kids Entertainment dubbing are; Veronica Taylor (Ash, Delia, May, really good at voicing, especially Ash) Eric Stuart (Brock).

My favourite voice actors for English The Pokemon Company International dubbing are; Sarah Natochenny (Ash, Delia, improved from, ok in AG, to fine in DP, to really good in BW for Ash), Lisa Ortiz (Oshawott), Michele Knotz (Snivy), Marc Thompson (Krookodile), Jason Griffith (Cilan, previously voiced Sonic The Hedgehog).

My favourite voice actors for Japanese original are; Rica Matsumoto (Satoshi), Ikue Ohtani (Pikachu), Misato Fukuen (Mijumaru), Megumi Hayashibara (Tsutarja), Kenta Miyake (Waruvial), Mamoru Miyano (Dento).

Lol, I only know these ones anyway. XDDD I really like the voice actors for Pokemon. For both 4Kids and TPCi dub, also JP for some reason. I've actually heard Ash's dub voices for other languages too (I was bored) don't know any of those names or languages but they were good too.

Ash: Now I choose you!
    Electro Ball!

-Pikachu: PikaPika-Chu-Pi!-

Yeah, I have to agree with that. I like all the voices whether it is Japanese or English.

~Misty

Quote Originally Posted by Ash&Pikachu-Fan View Post
    I had to look up a few but I already knew some of my favourites.

My favourite voice actors for English 4Kids Entertainment dubbing are; Veronica Taylor (Ash, Delia, May, really good at voicing, especially Ash) Eric Stuart (Brock).

My favourite voice actors for English The Pokemon Company International dubbing are; Sarah Natochenny (Ash, Delia, improved from, ok in AG, to fine in DP, to really good in BW for Ash), Lisa Ortiz (Oshawott), Michele Knotz (Snivy), Marc Thompson (Krookodile), Jason Griffith (Cilan, previously voiced Sonic The Hedgehog).

My favourite voice actors for Japanese original are; Rica Matsumoto (Satoshi), Ikue Ohtani (Pikachu), Misato Fukuen (Mijumaru), Megumi Hayashibara (Tsutarja), Kenta Miyake (Waruvial), Mamoru Miyano (Dento).

Lol, I only know these ones anyway. XDDD I really like the voice actors for Pokemon. For both 4Kids and TPCi dub, also JP for some reason. I've actually heard Ash's dub voices for other languages too (I was bored) don't know any of those names or languages but they were good too.

~Pokeshipping~

My fanfiction account: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2320079/Misty_Ketchum97

Veronica taylor(Ash and may), eric stuart(Brock and james), rachael lillis(Misty and jessie) and addie blaustien(meowth). i like all the old school voice actors. i hate the new VAs.

Veronica Taylor, I grew up with her talking as Ash and May.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy ketchum View Post
    Veronica taylor(Ash and may), eric stuart(Brock and james), rachael lillis(Misty and jessie) and addie blaustien(meowth). i like all the old school voice actors. i hate the new VAs.
    Same here, I also like Ted Lewis as Tracey. The new VAs just can't pull it off, can they?

My favorites are Rachel & Mayumi. Misty's english and japanese voice respectively.

Since I've watched the recent episodes, I'd like to applaud Ted Lewis for Giovanni. There's something just a tiny bit different that I can't put my finger on, but he's still got the good ol' boss in him...LIKE A BOSS.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Since I've watched the recent episodes, I'd like to applaud Ted Lewis for Giovanni. There's something just a tiny bit different that I can't put my finger on, but he's still got the good ol' boss in him...LIKE A BOSS.
    I'm glad for you. He along with Contesta are the only two who have got their original dub VAs back!

I saw no difference between him or Craig Blair, personally, given Giovanni barely appeared until BW. It's nothing really memorable for me in comparison to the main cast...maybe it's because we haven't seen many of them since Season 8, and it's depressing for me to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy ketchum View Post
    I don't hate them, but they have been very subpar over the years, in comparison to the original dub VAs. At least they're finally improving. Also add Amy Birnbaum to the mix (used to voice Max until the switch).

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Same here, I also like Ted Lewis as Tracey. The new VAs just can't pull it off, can they?
    They're a lot better than in BF or DP (at least they finally got better), but I still think it's ridiculous how much the voice acting has dropped in quality since the switch.

It's finally recovering in BW, but it's so average now. So par for the course. It's mainly Zoppi's Meowth who's making me feel that way, otherwise I'd say it's good.

I will say that TPCi and the current VAs REALLY stepped up their game this arc, so at least they are somewhat good now. I applaud them for it. Here's hoping they continue to get better.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 11th February 2013 at 1:16 PM.

I totally forgot to mention this before, but I absolutely love Lisa Ortiz because she voices the iconic Oshawott; the girl deserves a Grammy for that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I totally forgot to mention this before, but I absolutely love Lisa Ortiz because she voices the iconic Oshawott; the girl deserves a Grammy for that performance.
    Lisa Ortiz is good as Oshawott. She makes him cute like Mijamaru, and she doesn't like Lina Inverse in the role, either (which is how she sounds for virtually every human in both the 4Kids and TPCi dubs).

A Grammy, though? Not really, IMO. That's just me, though. I don't think anyone from either dub is THAT good. I do have my favorites (obviously).

I will say that the 4Kids dub cast actually seemed like they really loved their roles and re-watching their eps, I've noticed why I still complain about TPCi's dub cast. They are actually not bad actors at all. In fact, they're quite good, as is TPCi these days, but they don't do anything extraordinary like the former cast used to. What I mean is, they don't really get into it as much. Sure they definitely care about their roles just as much, but the enthusiasm is lacking on their part.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 11th February 2013 at 1:22 PM.

My fav actor is Maddie from the 4Kids days but now I think it would be Georgie's VA

I will say that the 4Kids dub cast actually seemed like they really loved their roles and re-watching their eps, I've noticed why I still complain about TPCi's dub cast. They are actually not bad actors at all. In fact, they're quite good, as is TPCi these days, but they don't do anything extraordinary like the former cast used to. What I mean is, they don't really get into it as much. Sure they definitely care about their roles just as much, but the enthusiasm is lacking on their part.
    I have to wonder if that could be due more to 4Kids being 4Kids. I noticed they added an extra touch on quite a few of the series they worked on while TPCI dubs more like Viz or Funimation and just dubs it not adding extra stuff or anything. Which I think people like or dislike. I do wish Eric released a full version of that song from the Pikachu memory loss episode however back in the 4Kids era. I do wonder what would of happened if 4Kids kept going till the issue with the Yugioh anime and going OoB. would they have all been replaced or would they just move on to TPCI without issues due to them not being with 4Kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokatsu View Post

I have to wonder if that could be due more to 4Kids being 4Kids. I noticed they added an extra touch on quite a few of the series they worked on while TPCI dubs more like Viz or Funimation and just dubs it not adding extra stuff or anything. Which I think people like or dislike. I do wish Eric released a full version of that song from the Pikachu memory loss episode however back in the 4Kids era. I do wonder what would of happened if 4Kids kept going till the issue with the Yugioh anime and going OoB. would they have all been replaced or would they just move on to TPCI without issues due to them not being with 4Kids.
    You know, it's funny, I might actually just miss 4Kids dubbing this show in general. That extra touch really makes all the difference, I guess. I don't see TPCi going the extra mile, though that may have to do more with time constraints and them wanting to do things a tad more faithfully. I did like the extra stuff. Too bad 4Kids is gone, and even if they were around, they've dug themselves a hole so deep that it's tough for them to get out of it. More than that, after the whole mess in 2006, I know TPCi and them have ice-cold relationships with one another. The same can be said of some of the 4Kids voice actors at this point...XD.

Thankfully Konami was not TPCi when it came to retaining the YGO VAs.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 11th February 2013 at 1:26 PM.

You know, it's funny, I might actually just miss 4Kids dubbing this show in general. That extra touch really makes all the difference, I guess. I don't see TPCi going the extra mile, though that may have to do more with time constraints and them wanting to do things a tad more faithfully. I did like the extra stuff. XD.

Thankfully Konami was not TPCi when it came to retaining the YGO VAs.
    Yeah I do notice TPCI dub is only like 14 or 15 eps behind so tbh I would rather have a faster dub myself but did like the added stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kokatsu View Post
    Yeah I do notice TPCI dub is only like 14 or 15 eps behind so tbh I would rather have a faster dub myself but did like the added stuff
    I kinda liked it slower myself, but I can see why someone would like it faster-paced. Then again, the whole voices thing is a mess, but I'm so biased for the old dub cast I can't believe it. I wish I wasn't, but I liked their renditions so much more.

I will say that I find the quality of the dub is a lot better in BW than it was back in BF or DP, so I will say TPCi's been improving. At least I can actually watch the dub now and enjoy it a bit. XD.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 11th February 2013 at 1:35 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast