Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: General Rival/Recurring Character Discussion

Default General Rival/Recurring Character Discussion

The dub season began with Enter Elesa, Electrifying Gym Leader!.

Let's pretend that the dub season will end with the Homika episodes so that the third season beings with BW2. So far (up to the current japanese episodes) These are how many times the rivals have shown up.
    Trip: 4
    Bianca: 7
    Stephan: 5
    Georgia: 5 (Including Tesseed Research Institute! Iris and Baivanilla!!)
    Burgundy: 5

-------------------------------

Personally I am conflicted of how Trip has been portrayed. I love the fact that Trip isn't beating everyone and winning everything and has been shown to be the rookie that he really is. Although they have been making him a little too pathetic.

Bianca, Stephan, and Georgia, I'm content with. Bianca has shown considerable growth and has been mellowed out a little bit. Stephan won both the Tower thing and the Clubsplosion (Donamite). Although I wish he could see something other than Zebstrika and Sawk. Georgia is fine. I love the fact that she pushes Iris to become stronger and be a Dragon Master... something that she is slaking on.

Burgundy... oh Burgundy... she is the joke. She was even the first human to go blasting off. That just shows how much of a butt monkey she is now. She's the old Team Rocket. I would like it if she became a B-Rank Connaisseuse. She would rival Cilan a little more closely, as we all know he needs a challenge nowadays.

Random : PokéRadar

most of them do need a lot more development. I'm still hoping for trip to get something with Marshall and maybe alder. burgundy desperately needs a win (preferablely against cilan but id settle for anyone). biancas had pleanty of appearances and has vastly improved since her debut so im content with her. Stephen and Georgia are both strong enough but they could do with a bit more character development

I agree with you. Trip needs to appear more, and even though he is a rookie he also needs to win more on-screen, and so does Burgundy XD
    I wonder who will still be active in the forums 3 years from now, from the people that are active now.

Trip isn't a rookie. The only rookie is Bianca.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Uhmm Trip started his journey in Unova at the same time as Ash. Clearly a rookie -_-
    I wonder who will still be active in the forums 3 years from now, from the people that are active now.

Trip isn't a rookie but Bianca is when she beat Trip in a battle? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    - Claimed:

-XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

Trip makes me sad, every time he appears he looses and not even to AshXD Plus, he hardly gets screen time. I honestly think Pokemon just hates him. So, he gets killed off and replaced by a new one cuz they feel the've done worse than even Kenny from the previous series. The other rivals I'm fine with, I hope Ash's new rival is better maybe even N? I can I wish right?

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

I want Georgia to appear more. She's my favorite Unova rival and she's better written than the others. She's not the same joke repeated over and over (Bianca, Burgundy), is actually a threat (Trip), and is actually a rival-y rival (Stephan). Burgundy and Trip at this point feel like lost causes. Stephan doesn't feel like a rival at all. Bianca's fine appearance wise.

Wicked Witch got nothing on me

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    Burgundy... oh Burgundy... she is the joke. She was even the first human to go blasting off. That just shows how much of a butt monkey she is now. She's the old Team Rocket. I would like it if she became a B-Rank Connaisseuse. She would rival Cilan a little more closely, as we all know he needs a challenge nowadays.

Burgundy becoming the butt monkey is hopefully making way for Ash getting Samurott. pretty funny.

Spontaneous Thread Title Thread!

Well it makes sense.

Random : PokéRadar

If they just gave Trip a few more wins I think I would take him more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    If they just gave Trip a few more wins I think I would take him more seriously.
    I'm fairly certain he's gonna beat ash a few more times before the league. just hope he gets wins against someone else as well

They are both rookies...

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    I'm fairly certain he's gonna beat ash a few more times before the league. just hope he gets wins against someone else as well
    He should beat more people, at least 3 times. Although I wouldn't be shocked if he only beats Ash...
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    That'd be just stupid, what Pokemon should do is have Ash win a few times against Trip finally, than have the guy get better after realizing his mistakes of being too overconfident and thinking Kanto people are lame. The guys been loosing over and over again to other people, see him win against Ash now would just be sad. They are just giving Ash a new rival any ways, Trip can be filler rival and be beaten by Ash right away with so much of a sweat, now that'd be funny and ironic.

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    That'd be just stupid, what Pokemon should do is have Ash win a few times against Trip finally, than have the guy get better after realizing his mistakes of being too overconfident and thinking Kanto people are lame. The guys been loosing over and over again to other people, see him win against Ash now would just be sad. They are just giving Ash a new rival any ways, Trip can be filler rival and be beaten by Ash right away with so much of a sweat, now that'd be funny and ironic.
    Unfortunately, I don't think the writers will do that. They seem content on him only winning 2-3 times against each of his rivals...

I could see him winning only once more.

So much for going all "Rival Destinies".

Trip has pretty much been the most disappointing rival, maybe ever. He started off challenging Ash a lot and being a threat, but his last two appearances have been using that terrible Gurdurr/Conkeldurr and getting curbstomped. I really hope we get a 6vs6 battle soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    So much for going all "Rival Destinies".
    Trip has pretty much been the most disappointing rival, maybe ever. He started off challenging Ash a lot and being a threat, but his last two appearances have been using that terrible Gurdurr/Conkeldurr and getting curbstomped. I really hope we get a 6vs6 battle soon.
    I think their 6-on-6 battle may not be until the League... if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    I think their 6-on-6 battle may not be until the League... if at all.
    Then he needs to be established as a threat unless he's being dropped as Ash's main rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Then he needs to be established as a threat unless he's being dropped as Ash's main rival.
    Maybe he could be Ash's second rival that's in the Tournament, and beat one or two of the top opponents. That would boost him quite a bit.

I hope the new Rival really replace Trip,he so boring and doesn't belong as a rival to ash compared to his other rivals.I agree,Burgundy really needs a win

Quote Originally Posted by AceFlonne View Post
    I hope the new Rival really replace Trip,he so boring and doesn't belong as a rival to ash compared to his other rivals.I agree,Burgundy really needs a win
    I think he'll just end up keeping both of the male rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    I think he'll just end up keeping both of the male rivals.
    IMO, I prefer the new rival to be more featured than Trip again for the same reason,he's boring and underveloped too much

Quote Originally Posted by AceFlonne View Post
    IMO, I prefer the new rival to be more featured than Trip again for the same reason,he's boring and underveloped too much
    The thing is, we don't know how he's going to be portrayed in the Anime just yet.

I don't know what's more funny: The fact that Trip is really underdeveloped, or the fact that if he were to beat Ash at some point (By beat, I mean curbstomp, like Ash and Paul's first full battle), people would complain saying how he shouldn't win by that much.

I don't hate Ash because I want him to lose, or Trip for saying he is underdeveloped , but right now I cannot take Trip seriously which is bad since he is supposed to be the main rival, so the only way I'm going to take him seriously is if he beats Ash in the World Tournament, or to a much lesser and unlikely extent, if he comes unexpectedly close to beating an E4/Alder's pokemon. I don't mean to defeat one, since the day he beats an E4 pokemon is the day Ash's Pikachu evolves and Ash hooks up with any of the main female characters (Former might happen at the end of the entire series after Ash achieves his goal, latter is NEVER happening IMO for obvious reasons), but I mean like what Paul did to Cynthia. He brought Garchomp to it's knees and could have potentially beat it if Frenzy Plant hit, but Paul still got curbstomped. But Torterra was arguably his strongest pokemon for the whole of DP so unless he does that with Serperior to Alder's Volcarona, I don't see him lasting long in that tournament.

This kinda reminds me of the transition from Yugioh 5ds to Yugioh Zexal. You go from a darker story and more developed characters (5ds) to a light-hearted story where the new rival and/or antagonists are nowhere near as dark as the previous series, and the characters are less developed (Zexal). Sure, I like both of those series as well as both Paul and Trip, but going from a harsh, yet powerful trainer like Paul to a rival who is far from social and nowhere near as big of a threat like Trip just feels odd. Just saying Trip better evolve those pokemon and rack up the wins, otherwise I really can't take him seriously.

Bianca...where to begin. I like that she is Ash's first female rival. I know she is based off her game personality but turned up to eleven, but can you do well with a pokemon that is not Emboar, since this is the reason I hated Barry and that was because all we usually saw was his Empoleon. I understand it's her strongest pokemon, therefore she is going to use in most battles, but her other pokemon exist too. She's the opposite of Trip, since he has used a bunch of pokemon but only Servine and Conkeldurr are developed while his others (except maybe Frillish) don't have much going for them.

Burgundy...where to freaking start. Basically I don't like her for the same reason as Trip, but at least Trip has beat Ash twice and tied once so he has some wins over him. Burgundy has no on-screen wins to speak of. I do admit she did well against Iris, especially since it was against her strongest pokemon, Excadrill. That's like the only time I'd say she did well in a battle. IMO, she is basically a watered down version of Ursula, who in turn was a watered down version of Harley. Then again, Harley beat May in BF in one contest so there is still hope for her to beat Cilan and/or get to an B-rank. Sure getting to a B-rank is not much when Cilan is an A-rank, but it would she he improved and for Cilan to take her seriously because he has to, not because she wants him to.
    Last edited by Lunanight; 29th May 2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Pokemon X Team:

3DS Friend Code: 1478-3034-6420
    My Friend Safari is Ice-type, and includes Bergmite, Spheal and Cloyster.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    yes they should do that (i really want them to do that) but they won't. the writers love an underdog story. there not gonna have ash beat trip in a battle before the league if they can build suspense for a big league match

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast