Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: General Rival/Recurring Character Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    Poor Burgundy, she gets no respect I tell ya, no respect
    I like her. She's way better than Stephan who may be one of the show's weakest rivals ever (not in strength but in personality). I'm also willing to put her above Bianca too honestly.

Burgundy just doesn't deserve to be at the League.

She doesn't deserve any respect nor wins. As long as she doesn't realize that hating over a character (and wishing for him to constantly fail or lose) who's generally better than her won't get here anywhere, she won't get anywhere. What kind of a message would it send to the kids if they had Burgundy, the crazy girl who seeks for revenge actually get better and score some wins?

Stay crazy, you'll get there eventually?

I kind of understand what they're trying to do with her but it's frustrating because I would have so much more preferred if she developed respect for Cilan and then slowly improved along the way giving an actual meaning to their "rivalry", like Langley. Langley wants for her rival to become stronger so she can beat her, she constantly pushes Iris and keeps on telling her to get stronger.

Burgundy on the other hand is driven by this crazy desire to see Cilan tremble before her which will, quite frankly, never happen.

P.S.

- Burgundy isn't Ash's rival.
    - She wasn't in the opening either.

All the more reasoning for her not to be at the League. That would, quite honestly, be awful.
    Last edited by Janovy; 12th September 2012 at 6:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Burgundy just doesn't deserve to be at the League.

She doesn't deserve any respect nor wins. As long as she doesn't realize that hating over a character (and wishing for him to constantly fail or lose) who's generally better than her won't get here anywhere, she won't get anywhere. What kind of a message would it send to the kids if they had Burgundy, the crazy girl who seeks for revenge actually get better and score some wins?

Stay crazy, you'll get there eventually?

I kind of understand what they're trying to do with her but it's frustrating because I would have so much more preferred if she developed respect for Cilan and then slowly improved along the way giving an actual meaning to their "rivalry", like Langley. Langley wants for her rival to become stronger so she can beat her, she constantly pushes Iris and keeps on telling her to get stronger.

Burgundy on the other hand is driven by this crazy desire to see Cilan tremble before her which will, quite frankly, never happen.
    She wasn't too crazy when she said bye to Cilan after the Junior Cup. She even cheered for him vs Trip.

P.S.

- Burgundy isn't Ash's rival.
    - She wasn't in the opening either.

All the more reasoning for her not to be at the League. That would, quite honestly, be awful.
    Neither was Conway but he still appeared.
    The opening only seemed to spoil stuff from the Junior Cup arc.
    At the end they only included Ash's known rivals at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    She wasn't too crazy when she said bye to Cilan after the Junior Cup. She even cheered for him vs Trip.
    The thing I'm most frustrated about is that she actually seemed to develop after the first Don Battle tournament.

After that, she became her old self. :/

Neither was Conway but he still appeared.
    Conway wasn't set as anybody's rival. In Burgundy's case, all the connections lead to Cilan - not Ash.

She is Cilan's rival.

The opening only seemed to spoil stuff from the Junior Cup arc.
    And yet we saw everyone standing by central torch in the middle of the stadium. (most commonly used at the League Conference)

I don't recall seeing any torch at the Junior Cup.

At the end they only included Ash's known rivals at the time.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it. Aside from the fact that Dawn's spot in the OP might be replaced with Kotetsu, the fact that both Burgundy and Georgia were absent makes it pretty clear which characters will show up at the league.

I'm convinced the main reason Conway went to the sinnoh league is to get another excuse to look up Dawn's skirt, participation was just an optional bonus.

With Conway though, they did give us a hint at the end of the Tag Battle Tournament that he was collecting badges and would likely show up at the League. When they were wondering where the next gym was, Conway told them the location. I think that was supoosed to be a hint from the writers. We really never got any hint that Burgundy would enter the League. She does have one badge but I think it's safe to say she only got that one to show off to Cilan since she beat his gym. I think Ash, Bianca, Trip, Kotetsu and Stephan will be the only main characters at the League.

The thing I'm most frustrated about is that she actually seemed to develop after the first Don Battle tournament.

After that, she became her old self. :/
    Yeah unfortunately, that's what happened.

Conway wasn't set as anybody's rival. In Burgundy's case, all the connections lead to Cilan - not Ash.

She is Cilan's rival.
    If anything Cilan is her rival. I highly doubt Cilan considers her a rival. Yet anyway.

And yet we saw everyone standing by central torch in the middle of the stadium. (most commonly used at the League Conference)

I don't recall seeing any torch at the Junior Cup.
    They could have used the league stadium but in SLV they showed Infernape vs Entei and Buizel vs Darkrai in the stadium yet they never happened.
    Don't take the opening as 100% correct.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it. Aside from the fact that Dawn's spot in the OP might be replaced with Kotetsu, the fact that both Burgundy and Georgia were absent makes it pretty clear which characters will show up at the league.
    So Burgundy and Georgia enter all these tournaments but won't enter the only major tournament in their home region?

Burgundy got the Striaton Badge even after she knew Cilan wasn't there. Sure she might have done it to prove something to him, but when Cilan asks if she has risen in rank yet, she answers that she's too busy battling. That may be a hint she's collecting badges as well. She has 1 why not continue?

Same with Georgia. I highly doubt she just goes around looking for Dragon pokemon only. I mean Unova-wise, there are only three dragon families native to the region. In Eastern Unova there might be more, but in Unova there is also a Dragon Type gym. Of course most people who beat Dragon type gyms tend to have Ice types or Dragon pokemon themselves. So she could also be collecting badges (she even has a pokedex like Burgundy), to face even more powerful dragon types in the league.

They should give Georgia and Iris and Cilan and Burgundy their own tournaments to enter. Because I know exactly what's going to happen if Burgundy enters the Sinnoh League.

Announcer: "And Burgundy is eliminated! She's out in the first round!"

Because can anyone see Burgundy getting further than Ash's main rivals in the League? I certainly can't.

I've been thinking similarily about if they'll do some kind of tournament for Iris and Cilan. Ah the days of contests where e the good old Grand Festival.

I'd say it's a high possibility there exists a Sommelier cup or something a long those line which will have a "tasting" round and of course a battling round. The winner becomes an S class Sommelier.

and for Iris possibly a Dragon tournament set in the village of dragons/ Opelucid city which Langley would enter to try and beat the best dragon trainers around. This would be where Axew finally evolves.

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

Yeah unfortunately, that's what happened.
    Indeed. :/

If anything Cilan is her rival. I highly doubt Cilan considers her a rival. Yet anyway.
    That's true. It's pretty much like Ash/Trip. It's Ash who considers Trip for his rival, but we'll see if things change after Junior Cup.

They could have used the league stadium but in SLV they showed Infernape vs Entei and Buizel vs Darkrai in the stadium yet they never happened. Don't take the opening as 100% correct.
    I honestly think they wanted to hype us up for the league (which they succeeded, at least imo)

Though I still don't think they'd put the torch there for nothing.

So Burgundy and Georgia enter all these tournaments but won't enter the only major tournament in their home region?
    I have a question, would you like for Georgia and Burgundy to be at the league?

Because, despite the fact I really like Georgia as a character, she's Iris's rival. Also, Iris and Cilan won't be entering Pokémon League like they did in the previous tournaments thus I see no reason for their rivals to enter either. But since Burgundy and Georgia could participate, let's throw in Iris and Cilan
    as well so we can have another rushed cup with tons of characters and messed up battles.

Burgundy got the Striaton Badge even after she knew Cilan wasn't there. Sure she might have done it to prove something to him, but when Cilan asks if she has risen in rank yet, she answers that she's too busy battling. That may be a hint she's collecting badges as well. She has 1 why not continue?
    I apologize if I'm wrong, but ever since Burgundy made her debut, she has lost every single battle.

That doesn't speak well about her skills and her managing to collect 8 badges would be quite honestly...little hard for me to believe in.

Same with Georgia. I highly doubt she just goes around looking for Dragon pokemon only. I mean Unova-wise, there are only three dragon families native to the region. In Eastern Unova there might be more, but in Unova there is also a Dragon Type gym. Of course most people who beat Dragon type gyms tend to have Ice types or Dragon pokemon themselves. So she could also be collecting badges (she even has a pokedex like Burgundy), to face even more powerful dragon types in the league.
    Okay, to be honest, if I had to choose between Georgia and Burgundy, I'd much rather see Georgia because I think she's a great character with cool personality and design. Plus, having her with 8 badges wouldn't seem as unbelievable to me as with Burgundy.

Though to be perfectly honest, the main reason why I don't want Georgia/Burgundy at the league is that I don't want another Don Battle/Clubsplosion/Junior Cup fiasco. If they do participate, then that makes Unova League no better than any other tournament we've already seen. I'd much rather keep things between Ash and his rivals only thus allowing the screentime be divided between good battles and some character interactions. We all know how rushed battles in these small tournaments were and how unsatisfied many thing were so I just want the League to be better than that.

That's true. It's pretty much like Ash/Trip. It's Ash who considers Trip for his rival, but we'll see if things change after Junior Cup.
    Ash is an obstacle that Trip must overcome to get to the Champion League and have a rematch with Alder. I'm sure Trip considers Ash as a rival especially after Ash tied with him and got farther than him in the first two battle tournaments. Trip is smart. He knows Ash is getting stronger.

I don't really think Burgundy is league material since the only badge she has been shown having was won from Chili, probably the only trainer who fails even more than she does.

I hope Burgundy comes back next season. If Cilan continues to travel with Ash, I think Burgundy should come back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I hope Burgundy comes back next season. If Cilan continues to travel with Ash, I think Burgundy should come back as well.
    only if the writers stop treating her like a joke. I don't wanna see the eternal loser carry on. A more compatent Burgundy however I would love to see stick around

only if the writers stop treating her like a joke. I don't wanna see the eternal loser carry on. A more compatent Burgundy however I would love to see stick around
    Burgundy equals DP TRio this season.

-Always losing

-A joke

-Dressing up in diguises

-Blasting off

-Keeps failing at their goal (beating Cilan and catching Pikachu but continues anyway)

The difference? Burgundy's entertaining.

She is a loser. Those who think soley of revenge get what's coming to them.

Wait, she blasted off?

Burgundy equals DP TRio this season.

-Always losing

-A joke

-Dressing up in diguises

-Blasting off

-Keeps failing at their goal (beating Cilan and catching Pikachu but continues anyway)

The difference? Burgundy's entertaining.
    At least TRio in DP won four contests between the 3 of them, Burgundy hasn't won anything of note. Unless you want to count a gym badge from the weakest gym leader in unova a huge accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post

Wait, she blasted off?
    She blasted off in Clash of the Connoisseurs.

She blasted off in Clash of the Connoisseurs.
    So watching that episode now. Awesome

Wait, she blasted off?
    I agree but what I'm hoping for is her to grow up and leave this revenge behind, and hopefully then start winning battles

Because can anyone see Burgundy getting further than Ash's main rivals in the League? I certainly can't.
    If Stephan is considered a main rival, then yes, I can see Burgundy doing better than him. She could be the Conway of the Unova League in the sense that she's underrated but could make an impression at the League. I love Burgundy because she's real and she sees things that other characters overlook. If she puts her head to good use, she could easily slay Stephan and maybe even Bianca. I'd be here for it (and the coming bandwagon if she does beat some of the big names).

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    If Stephan is considered a main rival, then yes, I can see Burgundy doing better than him. She could be the Conway of the Unova League in the sense that she's underrated but could make an impression at the League. I love Burgundy because she's real and she sees things that other characters overlook. If she puts her head to good use, she could easily slay Stephan and maybe even Bianca. I'd be here for it (and the coming bandwagon if she does beat some of the big names).
    She is crazy. Also:

She doesn't deserve to get that far.

I have a question, would you like for Georgia and Burgundy to be at the league?

Because, despite the fact I really like Georgia as a character, she's Iris's rival. Also, Iris and Cilan won't be entering Pokémon League like they did in the previous tournaments thus I see no reason for their rivals to enter either. But since Burgundy and Georgia could participate, let's throw in Iris and Cilan
    as well so we can have another rushed cup with tons of characters and messed up battles.
    Iris and Cilan can't be in the league as we have seen in every episode that they aren't collecting badges.

I apologize if I'm wrong, but ever since Burgundy made her debut, she has lost every single battle.

That doesn't speak well about her skills and her managing to collect 8 badges would be quite honestly...little hard for me to believe in.
    So did Barry. (except for beating Ash's Gible, same with Burgundy beating Chili's Pansear)

Okay, to be honest, if I had to choose between Georgia and Burgundy, I'd much rather see Georgia because I think she's a great character with cool personality and design. Plus, having her with 8 badges wouldn't seem as unbelievable to me as with Burgundy.

Though to be perfectly honest, the main reason why I don't want Georgia/Burgundy at the league is that I don't want another Don Battle/Clubsplosion/Junior Cup fiasco. If they do participate, then that makes Unova League no better than any other tournament we've already seen. I'd much rather keep things between Ash and his rivals only thus allowing the screentime be divided between good battles and some character interactions. We all know how rushed battles in these small tournaments were and how unsatisfied many thing were so I just want the League to be better than that.
    It wouldn't really be another tournament as those only lasted 4 episodes each.
    The league might last 8-9 episodes.

Episode 1: Arrival and possibly the first preliminary matches (all 1 vs 1) quick battle scenes.
    Episode 2: Top 64
    Episode 3: Top 32
    Episode 4: Top 16
    Episode 5-6: Top 8
    Episode 7: Top 4
    Episode 8: Top 2

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    Since when was Conway underrated? I would think people would impressed with hum instantly after seeing him get second place with Dawn in the Tag Battle Tournament.

Since when was Conway underrated? I would think people would impressed with hum instantly after seeing him get second place with Dawn in the Tag Battle Tournament.
    Which would have been first if not for DEM electabuzz.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast