Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: General Rival/Recurring Character Discussion

Trip urgently needs the proper treatment. After the meeting with Alder our poor guy got zero development, meanwhile Bianca received the massive spotlight. Despite the fact that her only battle versus Ash was in her debute episode and the girl is much more like the recurring traveling companion, not the rival, she got her own Gym battle(like Paul`s one in the DP), some character and pokemon development episodes(Chargestone arc), even her trainer`s skill got shocking improvement. So she got all the things that the main rival, Trip, should get instead.
    I do like Shooti. He is really sympathetic character. He is not arrogant jerk like Paul, not the goofball like Barry and Bianca, not even the braggart like Gary. He is just the ordinar trainer with childhood goal.
    The problem in the fandom, not even it Trip. When he beat Ash`s puny team in the Battle Club fans said that he`s Sue. When he lost to both Bianca and Dentron they said he is the rookie and loser. What are you want from him after all? Whatever he was, he is still bad character for you. He is not Paul. Don`t expect from him Paul-type actions.
    In my opinion Trip is really nice guy with unique team and big bag of knowledge. He is very smart and helpful(remember the Aqua Jet), he want to get better and battle strong trainer(remember his enthusiasm towards Iris), he is very inquisitive and takes pictures of new places, people and pokemon.
    Ash just perceives him as a friend, not as rival. That`s the reason of their rotten rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    The problem in the fandom, not even it Trip. When he beat Ash`s puny team in the Battle Club fans said that he`s Sue. When he lost to both Bianca and Dentron they said he is the rookie and loser. What are you want from him after all? Whatever he was, he is still bad character for you. He is not Paul. Don`t expect from him Paul-type actions.
    But I like a Paul-esque Rival,Trip is extremely boring and underdeveloped,Bianca and Stephan are much more better rivals to ash than him
    (I hope the new Rival finally vanquish him)

We are going to see something between Trip and Alder during this new Season (BW2) so my hopes are still pretty high for him as a good rival. He will probably have a deeper development from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    We are going to see something between Trip and Alder during this new Season (BW2) so my hopes are still pretty high for him as a good rival. He will probably have a deeper development from now on.
    really? I must of missed that where was it confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    really? I must of missed that where was it confirmed?
    I don't understand if you are being sarcastic (I don't believe so) but, no it wasn't. I think that way because that's the only background we have about Trip (Alder being his idol and wanting to battle him to become Champion).
    Last edited by Royal_Qeca; 27th May 2012 at 5:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    I don't understand if you are being sarcastic (I don't believe so) but, no it wasn't. I think that way because that's the only background we have about Trip (he is his idol and wants to battle him to became Champion).
    i wasn't being sarcastic. the way your post was worded confused me and i thought it had been confirmed. but on the subject I would rather he met Marshall before he encountered alder again

Yeah, that's another good point to believe that Trip will have a great development from now on. At least all these things about Alder, Champion League, etc that the writers have been building around him make me hopeful.

just him watching alder battle would be enough. trip can see alders strength and begin to realise his ideas are not 100% right

That would be less exciting but it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunanight View Post
    I don't know what's more funny: The fact that Trip is really underdeveloped, or the fact that if he were to beat Ash at some point (By beat, I mean curbstomp, like Ash and Paul's first full battle), people would complain saying how he shouldn't win by that much.

I don't hate Ash because I want him to lose, or Trip for saying he is underdeveloped , but right now I cannot take Trip seriously which is bad since he is supposed to be the main rival, so the only way I'm going to take him seriously is if he beats Ash in the World Tournament, or to a much lesser and unlikely extent, if he comes unexpectedly close to beating an E4/Alder's pokemon. I don't mean to defeat one, since the day he beats an E4 pokemon is the day Ash's Pikachu evolves and Ash hooks up with any of the main female characters (Former might happen at the end of the entire series after Ash achieves his goal, latter is NEVER happening IMO for obvious reasons), but I mean like what Paul did to Cynthia. He brought Garchomp to it's knees and could have potentially beat it if Frenzy Plant hit, but Paul still got curbstomped. But Torterra was arguably his strongest pokemon for the whole of DP so unless he does that with Serperior to Alder's Volcarona, I don't see him lasting long in that tournament.
    He should really defeat some of the Gym Leaders in the Junior Tournament if he enters, before he defeats Ash again.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunanight View Post
    As for Georgia, I find it odd how she only has won twice...both were with Beartic. I know it's her main pokemon and all, but like I pointed out with Bianca, just because it's the main pokemon on her team does not mean it needs to be the only one with wins. Torterra was Paul's main pokemon but was not used against Ash, because it was freaking slow and would have got pwned by one of Ash's pokemon. We know she has a third pokemon since BW41, since you need three to enter the Don Battle, yet we are only seeing two of them.
    Georgia has three wins on-screen, not two. She won twice with her Beartic and once with her Bisharp (it was against a Druddigon in the Donamite Tournament).

Trip needs some more meaningful character interactions than he needs more development(Luke seems like the perfect foil for him, and new rival filling a Barry/Harley/Ursula role and make him seem better is something I expect but I much rather have him just as a personality foil, not a threat level comparison board(tl; dr I want him to be around the same lavel as him but have some conflict or plot with him)). I am okay with his losses, no, I want him to lose more frequently, so he can see error of his pursuit of power more organically than, say, losing in league early(Gary), losing to a man he could never hope to defeat at the point he challanged him(Paul). The only problem would be that it would be exact same situation with Dawn and Ursula, but hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless of course Trip sticks with the crew for a while and sees how they battle/live etc.(Barry, arguably Drew and Gary in Johto) But if we have only 150 something episodes for Best Wishes I don't think that will happen with evolutions, Iris/Cilan screentime, two other Gym Leaders, Elite Four and Champions etc. Besides, that doesn't exactly give sadistic enjoyment I could get from Georgia defeating Trip P:. But regardless, we need to see more of his team, period(even Conkeldurr, because the thing gets barely any victories and we only saw it for his showcasing of his line, also because it has such an awesome personality). Oh, and more Iris/Trip moments, because shipping googles. Well, okay, from a plot standpoint I can see him reveal that he lost horribly to Drayden before he closed his Gym, giving him some nice parallel to Iris(and Georgia if he was the one that won against her) and warn about him for Ash and make sure Iris start spinning her gears even more fastly to train(see Volkner/Sunyshore Gym and Barry, Paul and Ash's different reactions to Volkner's decision to give away badges for example).

Burgundy... ohh Burgundy. She is probably more popular than Iris on Japan but none of the writers care her enough in terms of as a threat. And due to nature Cilan's rivalry's with her she will likely either get a forced win a la Barry, Kenny, Harley or the usual last battle against main rival victory all main characters except Dawn got(Paul vs. Ash, May vs. Drew, Gary vs. Ash). At least she is still one of the most developed ones, but developed secondary rivals is not a problem anymore since all of them are well developed in Best Wishes thankfully. I hope they either make Pinot Noir a recurring threat for Cilan, or give Burgundy a massive bone(beyond making her seem powerful in the league, since with her popularity and battle crazy nature we will probably see her as a preliminary battle at least). Though I would much rather have both as threats for Cilan instead of one, so they can both push him in different directions.

I am okay with what Bianca, Stephan and Georgia(and Luke if you count him too, can't say anything for Masaomi other than I expect him to be a league rival(as Smash guys did bother to cosplay as him, in addition to him having lots of promotion from magazines and whatnot for Clubsplosion) and appear in another Club Battle Tournament, win against Trip and lose against Ash, to be basically "I won against the guy you lost horribly lol" ego rubbing(see Paul's wtf reaction for Ash's comment before his battle against Brandon, except this one would be much less powerful of course)).

So much parantheses augh.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    I agree with you. Trip needs to appear more, and even though he is a rookie he also needs to win more on-screen, and so does Burgundy XD
    Ash needs to show Trip what "The Boonies" are made of! (aka Charizard)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage25 View Post
    Ash needs to show Trip what "The Boonies" are made of! (aka Charizard)
    Bring back Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Tauros, Kingler and Muk to show TriP!

He doesn't need Charizard.

His Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Kingler, Snorlax, Tauros, and Muk are great. If done right.

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    He doesn't need Charizard.

His Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Kingler, Snorlax, Tauros, and Muk are great. If done right.
    INFERNAPE!!! Have it's Blaze ability kick in and WAM!

INFERNAPE!!! Have it's Blaze ability kick in and WAM!
    and that shows trip the power of kanto how exactly?

It'll show Trip that when you go through several Regions, you do NOT want to be f***ed with and that Ash is no Hillbilly

It'll show Trip that when you go through several Regions, you do NOT want to be f***ed with and that Ash is no Hillbilly
    Using a Sinnoh Pokemon doesn't prove anything about Kanto.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

I believe Trip never said anything wrong about Kanto Pokemon. He just said that was immature cause he was from Kanto. Correct me if I am wrong but he directly insulted the region or Ash not the native Pokemon. Besides he was quite surprised to Pikachu. I don't think he consider them weak.

He was insulting the region, so why not use the Pokemon that he caught there?

I doubt he will though. I bet he'll use his original Unova Six.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf View Post
    I am okay with what Bianca, Stephan and Georgia(and Luke if you count him too, can't say anything for Masaomi other than I expect him to be a league rival(as Smash guys did bother to cosplay as him, in addition to him having lots of promotion from magazines and whatnot for Clubsplosion) and appear in another Club Battle Tournament, win against Trip and lose against Ash, to be basically "I won against the guy you lost horribly lol" ego rubbing(see Paul's wtf reaction for Ash's comment before his battle against Brandon, except this one would be much less powerful of course)).
    I think Masaomi is done in this saga, would've been cool to have him in the League and maybe a rematch with Stephen. Plus a chance for Ash to battle him.

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    I think Masaomi is done in this saga, would've been cool to have him in the League and maybe a rematch with Stephen. Plus a chance for Ash to battle him.
    Ash already battled him. Didn't end too well. I'd rather not see that again..

I think the writers realized that they couldn't capture lightning in a bottle twice, Paul was great, and it seemed as though they tried to reincarnate him in Trip but decided to go in a different direction half way through, I'm glad that Bianca is becoming a bit of a more serious rival I've personally thought she would give a Ash a good challenge at the League. Stephan is cool he just needs a 3rd Pokemon already, Georgia would've been better as Ash's rival, and Burgundy is Casey all over again, no point

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Ash already battled him. Didn't end too well. I'd rather not see that again..
    I meant 3 on 3 or 6 on 6, like a league amount of Pokemon.

I think he'd fare better if he was up against more Pokemon.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast