Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: General Rival/Recurring Character Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I disagree. I think the League is sort of a first step on the way of becoming a Pokemon Champion (Cynthia, Alder, etc.) The winner of the League has the chance to become a Pokemon Champion. Was Tobias titled Champion of the Sinnoh League after he won the Sinnoh League. No because he didn't manage to beat Cynthia, the real Champion of Sinnoh.
    It was only titled Champion of the League, that's true, but for what we know he could have managed to become a member of the Elite 4 (an additional step to become a Champion).

But why didn't they make Tobias the Champion in Best Wishes? I think that's mainly because Cynthia appears in Heart Gold/Soul Silver and in Black/White too and she's considered the Sinnoh Champion in both games (which is technically incorrect, since Lucas/Dawn became Champion in DPP), so they had absolutely no interest in dethroning Cynthia in Best Wishes 2. It's simple convenience, advertising of the games and a bit of fanservice. If she didn't appear, some people would think/believe that Tobias might have become the new Sinnoh Champion (mainly thanks to his Darkrai).
    Last edited by Cresselia92; 18th October 2012 at 9:52 PM.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    It was only titled Champion of the League, that's true, but for what we know he could have managed to become a member of the Elite 4 (an additional step to become a Champion).

But why didn't they make Tobias the Champion in Best Wishes? I think that's mainly because Cynthia appears in Heart Gold/Soul Silver and in Black/White too and she's considered the Sinnoh Champion in both games (which is technically incorrect, since Lucas/Dawn became Champion in DPP), so they had absolutely no interest in dethroning Cynthia in Best Wishes 2. It's simple convenience and fanservice. If she didn't appear, some people would think/believe that Tobias might have become the new Sinnoh Champion.
    Exactly. That's exactly my point. There is a difference between Pokemon League Champion and Champion. Tobias is the former and Cynthia is the latter. So if Trip, Bianca, or Stephan wins the League, it doesn't make them Champion. They'd need to beat Alder first which was my point all along. So why are you so against a recurring character winning. It doesn't mean they would necessarily become champion.

Exactly. That's exactly my point. There is a difference between Pokemon League Champion and Champion. Tobias is the former and Cynthia is the latter. So if Trip, Bianca, or Stephan wins the League, it doesn't make them Champion. They'd need to beat Alder first which was my point all along. So why are you so against a recurring character winning. It doesn't mean they would necessarily become champion.
    *shrugs* Meh, it's only me and a few others. I simply don't like the idea of a main character winning before Ash, that's all. I have absolutely nothing against recurring characters becoming Champions (mainly because they tend to disappear after "their" series is over). I could easily see Bianca or Virgil winning the League and becoming League Champions. But Regional Champions? I find it very unlikely.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}

*shrugs* Meh, it's only me and a few others. I simply don't like the idea of a main character winning before Ash, that's all. I have absolutely nothing against recurring characters becoming Champions (mainly because they tend to disappear after "their" series is over). I could easily see Bianca or Virgil winning the League and becoming League Champions. But Regional Champions? I find it very unlikely.
    I thought Zoey worked well as a winner so if the next series we meet a guy or girl who is a friendly, recurring rival to Ash and they end up winning the League, I would have no problem with that at all.

I thought Zoey worked well as a winner so if the next series we meet a guy or girl who is a friendly, recurring rival to Ash and they end up winning the League, I would have no problem with that at all.
    Sigh, you constantly missed the key words: main characters. Recurring characters and rivals aren't in my black list. But enough with that, that's only my pet peeve.

I wonder if some rivals will keep appearing after the League. I can see Kotetsu, Bianca, Georgia and Burgundy appearing in the eventual filler saga. I'm not sure about the others, however.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Ash did 5 leagues and failed in all of them. Iris suddenly deciding to do gyms and beat the league on her first shot is so a slap in the face to ash.
    No it wouldn't lol. Ash is the main character so he has to lose cuz for some reason the stupid writers feel that if you win a league your automatically a pokemon master. Ash can't leave so his failure is necessary. Iris will leave soon enough so for her to win the league wouldn't be the biggest crisis ever.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    It would be horribly cheap for someone to become a champion another way.
    How would it be cheap? If the champion decides they want a certain person to replace them and said person is capable of defeating the champion, they deserves the role. Why should they have to go through a bunch of additional work when it's already decided?
    A soul that cannot be saved drifts and disappears,
    In the instant it vanishes, it shines faintly,
    Now, it creates a night with a full moon.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiMirage View Post
    How would it be cheap? If the champion decides they want a certain person to replace them and said person is capable of defeating the champion, they deserves the role. Why should they have to go through a bunch of additional work when it's already decided?
    Lol well when that person is shown maybe we'll believe this but until now no one has been able to come close to beating a champion(well Flint kind of).
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Sigh, you constantly missed the key words: main characters. Recurring characters and rivals aren't in my black list. But enough with that, that's only my pet peeve.

I wonder if some rivals will keep appearing after the League. I can see Kotetsu, Bianca, Georgia and Burgundy appearing in the eventual filler saga. I'm not sure about the others, however.
    What in the Poke Universe are you talking about? Of course, no main character will beat a League before Ash because Ash is the only main character doing Leagues XD

What in the Poke Universe are you talking about? Of course, no main character will beat a League before Ash because Ash is the only main character doing Leagues XD
    It would be funny if his oakd pokemon got fed up with how he keeps losing leagues with his new pokemon and then set off by themselves to collect badges and participate in a league and win. Then when he comes home charizard can flamethrower ash in the face for his stupidity while rubbing the league winner trophy in his face XD

It would be funny if his oakd pokemon got fed up with how he keeps losing leagues with his new pokemon and then set off by themselves to collect badges and participate in a league and win. Then when he comes home charizard can flamethrower ash in the face for his stupidity while rubbing the league winner trophy in his face XD
    And Delia could be the trainer since I am guessing the Pokemon would need a human with them. Ash decides that he wants to use the Pokemon he caught in Unova in the League. Then Delia shows up and beats him with his reserves showing Ash that he was foolish not using his powerful reserves in the League. That's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Lol well when that person is shown maybe we'll believe this but until now no one has been able to come close to beating a champion(well Flint kind of).
    It's gotten better though. Before, a champ's pokemon wouldn't even react, now they could at least be moved back or knocked in the air. Gives hope that a stronger pokemon could actually do some real damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiMirage View Post
    It's gotten better though. Before, a champ's pokemon wouldn't even react, now they could at least be moved back or knocked in the air. Gives hope that a stronger pokemon could actually do some real damage.
    Ya although, apparently Ash needs to catch one of the Kami trio to touch Cynthia lmfao.

I'm sure Charizard would be enough, at least against Garchomp, given it's advantages. That would be a cool battle to see. Or perhaps Snorlax.

And Delia could be the trainer since I am guessing the Pokemon would need a human with them. Ash decides that he wants to use the Pokemon he caught in Unova in the League. Then Delia shows up and beats him with his reserves showing Ash that he was foolish not using his powerful reserves in the League. That's a great idea!
    Yes. This is perfect. Or Tracy could do it. On the other hand the embarrassment if his pants falls down as he loses as his mom sees his dirty underwear would be too funny.

Ash losing against his mom would be epic xD
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Ash losing against his mom would be epic xD
    That it would be

But now that the league is shaking things up

Trip goes out first
    Either Ash faces Bel or Pignite evolves.
    Ash faces Sawk
    Ash faces Riolu->lucario
    Ash faces Vaporeon

^^If this is a club battle style league.

Then something like this will happen
        Spoiler:

That it would be

But now that the league is shaking things up

Trip goes out first
    Either Ash faces Bel or Pignite evolves.
    Ash faces Sawk
    Ash faces Riolu->lucario
    Ash faces Vaporeon

^^If this is a club battle style league.

Then something like this will happen
        Spoiler:
    Lol stop posting this so much it might actually happen!!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920