The Authors’ Café Rules and Regulations
All General SPPf Rules apply. Please also read the Fan Fiction Rules.
The Authors’ Café is a place for writers to gather and sit back, relax and chat about everything to do with writing. This is for fan fiction and original works alike, for everyone who loves writing, reading or reviewing. Everyone is welcome, and someone is always willing to listen and provide their help, insight or an opinion to debate!
The rules are simple and can be divided into:
What kinds of topics are allowed here?
- Discussions and debates about anything writing-related – from discussions on entire genres to questions about writing mechanics, from creating interesting worlds to handling different types of characters, anything goes
- Discussions about reading – such as what people like and dislike, what people avoid
- Discussions about writing and reviewing online – about posting fan fiction, responding to readers, critical reading tactics, reviewing tips and so on
- Requests for help or advice – turning this into a discussion for others to partake in also helps
- Previews for your upcoming stories – this must be a scene from your story, not just a summary or character description
What kinds of topics don’t belong here?
- Your actual story – that belongs in the general Fan Fiction Forum if it’s Pokémon-related, or Non-Pokémon Stories otherwise
- Discussion threads for your story/stories – all comments about your fic belong in your fic thread
- Story ideas – post these in the Fic Ideas thread unless you’re posting a proper preview, as detailed above
- Fic advertisements – the only place advertisements belong is in your signature
- Asking why you don’t get reviews/begging for reviews – there are plenty of reasons for this, but you can use the Review Exchange or the Review Game threads or request a review privately
- Requests for an editor/beta reader – use The Beta House to find a suitable editor (or apply to be one)
- Requests for submissions or polls for things to include in your story – it’s your job to come up with characters and decide what happens, not ours
- Requests to find a specific fic – ask about it here instead
- Rants – these are a waste of time unless you can turn it into a constructive discussion everyone can engage in
- Complaints – talk to a mod privately about these
Please do a forum search before posting a new thread to see if the topic you want to discuss has been covered recently! Your question may already have been answered. If the last post in the thread is from more than 30 days ago, you may feel free to start a new one. Posting in older threads is considered bumping and is against the SPPf Rules, though it is acceptable in some threads (see list below).
One rule of thumb for figuring out if a topic is appropriate is by asking yourself, “if everyone makes a thread like mine, will it clutter up the forum?” For example, if everyone made their own threads begging for reviews, the forum would just become a mess.
If you’re unsure if a certain topic is allowed, such as more mature, sensitive or sexual subjects, please feel free to ask one of the Fan Fiction moderators via VM or PM. We’re always happy to help!
The main guideline when posting here is that respect is crucial. Respect the creativity, ideas, opinions, advice and feelings of others, and they in turn will respect you back. If you disagree with someone, you are free to voice it, but you must do so in a polite and respectful manner. Personal attacks and flames are unacceptable. We encourage friendly debate and discussion – the more, the merrier!
This thread is mainly for discussion about the rules, however if you have a small question that doesn’t need its own thread, please feel free to ask here or privately contact a mod. Thanks, and have fun!
~The Fan Fiction Moderating Team