Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Crisis at Ferroseed Research (742)

Gotta to say even though I do like Iris' character the episode was kind of... boring. I found the story to be somewhat unappealing. Also, I have mixed feelings with how Georgia was portrayed this week. It's nice seeing she was not as an idiot as her debut make her look, but I think her change of heart could have happened a bit later. Unlike Burgundy, who had a decent and good-paced change (IMHO), Georgia's looked a bit to fast.

Also, Oshawott's.... "Brockness" is starting to get stale...

As for the bright side, I do like how the animators drew Iris and how the writers set things up for Ash arriving at Tachiwaki. Speaking of Ash, I like his performance today, even though he barely had screentime.

My main complaint of this episode is the fact that only Ground-types and Electric-types were effected by the moss. -_-; It was just so Iris couldn't use any of her other Pokemon and Kibago/Oshawott/Ice Cream would not be effected. I don't know, it just makes me laugh that they were there specific and it just felt a bit forced. Though that could be my feverish state talking, I'm not sure. I could be wrong on the type thing...but I think I'm right.

EDIT: This episode picked up a bit near the end. I like how there's respect for Langely. Though...did she get shorter? o.o I could have sworn she used to be a head taller than Iris
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 3rd June 2012 at 6:15 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    My main complaint of this episode is the fact that only Ground-types and Electric-types were effected by the moss. -_-; It was just so Iris couldn't use any of her other Pokemon and Kibago/Oshawott/Ice Cream would not be effected. I don't know, it just makes me laugh that they were there specific and it just felt a bit forced. Though that could be my feverish state talking, I'm not sure. I could be wrong on the type thing...but I think I'm right.

EDIT: This episode picked up a bit near the end. I like how there's respect for Langely. Though...did she get shorter? o.o I could have sworn she used to be a head taller than Iris
    Well yes the stones only affected Electric and Ground types, but I thought that made sense given that they're the type of Pokemon that are found around the Chargestone Cave, where the stones come from. Granted, I'm sure finding a way to get Iris to trust Vanilluxe also played a part in that decision, but it does make some sense. And honestly it was a reasonable decision, because if she hadn't tried using her Pokemon people would have complained she wasn't thinking or whatever.

She is, but like everything else, perspective and animators come into play. It's the same as how Iris and Ash are about the same size, but some episodes have her noticeably shorter.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

This was a good episode, the parts which I enjoyed about it were: Langley's interactions with all the group as well as her whole character portrayal, Mijumaru being Mijumaru, everybody managing to pitch in to sort out/fix the problem and Magyo. Because Magyo makes everything great (even with its short appearances). Also it should be obvious that Mijumaru has taken Takeshi's role as the womaniser, speaking of which; before this episode I was always under the assumption Mijumaru was into cute girls who are near his height. Though this episode managed to make Baivanilla seem cute.

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention Iris braving her fear of Ice-types..... It was simple, I guess. There wasn't a struggle or anything, just Iris stuck on a roof, about to get trapped by electric-charged moss and then Baivanilla saving everyone causing Iris to realize that maybe Ice-type Pokémon aren't so bad. I already said how Iris's Ice fear never interested me, as I didn't see it as an important part of her character which could effect her goal, so I would not care if she never overcame it. I put it in a similar league to Kasumi's phobia of Bug-type Pokémon - I tended to see it more like something done for humour. For the record, I like Iris (and I love her wild-girl persona) it's just that which I've never cared about in regards her entire character.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_Crow View Post
    Oh yeah, I guess I should mention Iris braving her fear of Ice-types..... It was simple, I guess. There wasn't a struggle or anything, just Iris stuck on a roof, about to get trapped by electric-charged moss and then Baivanilla saving everyone causing Iris to realize that maybe Ice-type Pokémon aren't so bad. I already said how Iris's Ice fear never interested me, as I didn't see it as an important part of her character which could effect her goal, so I would not care if she never overcame it. I put it in a similar league to Kasumi's phobia of Bug-type Pokémon- I tended to see it more like something done for humour. For the record, I do like Iris (and I love her wild-girl persona) it's just that which I never cared about regarding her whole character.
    There was a struggle, I'd surely call fighting for her life quite a struggle. Besides, she didn't just outgrow it or anything, nor has it been clearly shown she has conquered this feeling around Ice-types. If anything, she was grateful for Vanilluxe's help but she still wasn't all that comfortable with it. You can see that, compared to how she's usually excited around most other Pokemon. Simple I'll give you, but really it's a short show and it's not like Iris had a tragic past with Ice types or anything, she just doesn't like the cold. It's more of a preference than a fear, that and her body and instincts are apparently somewhat affected by being around Dragon-types all her life. So yeah I think expecting anything deeper than that was really over speculating.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

I forgot to add I was not surprised about the simplicity about the whole thing as it was never a deep or meaningful fear anyway.

Also I can see that Iris hasn't exactly gotten over her Ice-type Pokémon phobia, she just seems to be slightly neutral with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    There was a struggle, I'd surely call fighting for her life quite a struggle.
    Maybe. But it wasn't some in your face/deep struggle that caught my interest, just a case of getting in trouble and being saved at a split second.

Though I guess If you look at it deeply enough you could see the possibility that Iris and the Pokémon may have suffocated to death if Baivanilla didn't do anything. But what can I say? I never look too much into what I watch and tend to mainly notice things when they are really noticeable.
    Last edited by Raptor_Crow; 3rd June 2012 at 3:16 PM.

I don't know - pushing away your fear in order to save yourself and your Pokémon is a pretty big development. Despite the fact Iris dislikes ice types, she didn't just keep screaming as she realized that the only way she could save herself was from overcoming it and teaming up with Langley's Pokémon. It wasn't a major development but it was development - she still has a long way to go.

Subtle or not, development is development.

And unlike many other BW characters, I'm glad that Iris belongs to those who do develop.

Also it should be obvious that Mijumaru has taken Takeshi's role as the womaniser, speaking of which; before this episode I was always under the assumption Mijumaru was into cute girls who are near his height. Though this episode managed to make Baivanilla seem cute.
    Oh yeah, I was sort of mad at this. :/ I wanted Mijumaru wanting to eat the ice cream, not make love with it.

@Irisboy- Rock/Bug/Grass/Steel also live in the cave. Why not them too? I just hated how it just happened to be two of the Pokemon that Iris had. -_-; It's nothing really that major, but for some unknown reason it really ticked me off. Like I think it gave me the feeling of "Oh...well that's convenient..."

She is, but like everything else, perspective and animators come into play
    "Some people lose weight when they travel but I tend to shrink! Heheheheehe"

While that's true, that was a huge difference. Normally the differences is only a by a couple of "centimeters" not almost a whole head. ^^; I think the problem I had with the epi was the small nitpicks, they just bothered me to where I started mocking it. Reminds me of the Archeops episode. I nitpicked that one too.
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 3rd June 2012 at 7:14 PM.

I forgot to add I was not surprised about the simplicity about the whole thing as it was never a deep or meaningful fear anyway.

Also I can see that Iris hasn't exactly gotten over her Ice-type Pokémon phobia, she just seems to be slightly neutral with it now.

Maybe. But it wasn't some in your face/deep struggle that caught my interest, just a case of getting in trouble and being saved at a split second.

Though I guess If you look at it deeply enough you could see the possibility that Iris and the Pokémon may have suffocated to death if Baivanilla didn't do anything. But what can I say? I never look too much into what I watch and tend to mainly notice things when they are really noticeable.
    Except your ignoring the fact she got development in that episode. Struggling with your fear and showing you're afraid and being forced in an alliance with a Pokemon you fear and learning to work alongside them is a change in the character and growth for the better, also known as development.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    Except your ignoring the fact she got development in that episode.
    No I'm not. I'm just saying that I don't have much interest in Iris's Ice-type Pokémon fear because it doesn't seem like it would effect her goal.

@Irisboy- Rock/Bug/Grass/Steel also live in the cave. Why not them too? I just hated how it just happened to be two of the Pokemon that Iris had. -_-; It's nothing really that major, but for some unknown reason it really ticked me off. Like I think it gave me the feeling of "Oh...well that's convenient..."

"Some people lose weight when they travel but I tend to shrink! Heheheheehe"

While that's true, that was a huge difference. Normally the differences is only a by a couple of "centimeters" not almost a whole head. ^^; I think the problem I had with the epi was the small nitpicks, they just bothered me to where I started mocking it. Reminds me of the Archeops episode. I nitpicked that one too.
    Bug? The only bugs around the cave are Joltik/Galvantula, which are dual Electric types, so that's taken care of. Rock/Grass/Steel? Aside from the Ferroseed, there were no Pokemon of those respective types to speak of in the episode so I don't really see a problem with that either. And we could see that the Ferroseed were affected, so it's possible that other Steel types at least might have been as well. Sure it was convenient, but it also makes sense given that you can find electric and ground types in the Chargestone Cave where the stones come from. And we have already seen before how the stones affect those Pokemon living there.

Well considering nobody else seemed to notice such a discrepancy, I'd hardly call it a huge difference. I think you may be nitpicking too much on something that really doesn't matter, we all know she's taller than Iris so what's an inch or so matter? I'm sure there were people that nitpicked the last episode, but what does it matter? Just watch it.
    Last edited by gohan5; 4th June 2012 at 3:32 AM.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    I'm sure there were people that nitpicked the last episode, but what does it matter? Just watch it.
    I can't watch something seriously when it makes me have an uncomfortable twitch. It just distracts me too much. ^^; Plus I had a fever last night :/

Always in the Iris episode threads.

What can I say about this episode? It wasn't the best of the Iris episodes but atleast she got some. I was expecting Axew to be used more here to help Axew's attacks out and to help her learn how to defend her dragon Pokemon against icy Pokemon but this turned out differently than I thought. First is Georgia. I knew she was better off with the Pokemon but what was the point of having Iris bond with it if Georgia was going to get it? But I'm happy for her. All she needs is to catch a Crygonal and she will be set. But over all this episode was abit boring. 4/10

My ideal battle ever!

Oshawott was adorable when it got mad, threw its scalchop on the ground, picked it up, and put it back. :3

Georgia is always great! I wish she would appear more...

Currently writing: The Missing Link!
    Chapters posted: 10
    Please read and review. I'll be eternally grateful.

Though...did she get shorter? o.o I could have sworn she used to be a head taller than Iris[/s]
    Georgia was always among the shorter characters. Outside Ash, Trip and Iris(who are basically tied for height), Georgia is the shortest, just slighly taller than Iris... unlike Bianca, Cilan or Burgundy who are all a full head higher(or more) than these. The only other rival that is about the same height is Stephan, and he looks a lot bigger than her just because of his body shape.

DP179.jpg

Admittedly, her debut episode had her a head taller than iris at one point, then in a shot from faraway, about two heads. In short, while she was on the tall side in her first episode, her height was inconsistent with itself.

But her current, just slightly taller than Iris height has been around since her second appearance and stayed that way for every episode since.
    Last edited by RWB; 7th June 2012 at 5:19 PM.
    Help spread the Dragonbuster Love!
    Hail to Saint Georgia!

Oh my god, Baivanilla is so freaking damn cute. I want it on my team NOW >_<

I thought Iris was gonna catch the two headed ice cream! If Iris would catch it and Ash had his Snorlax the Vanilluxe would be dead!

Quote Originally Posted by DeLaw View Post
    I thought Iris was gonna catch the two headed ice cream! If Iris would catch it and Ash had his Snorlax the Vanilluxe would be dead!
    You thought she was going to catch it even though it already belonged to Georgia?

And about Snorlax, that's kind of obvious. Snorlax never loses without killing something. -_-

I didn't like this episode very much... It was funny watching Axew run away from Vanilluxe in fear as Vanilluxe kept chasing him. Iris was really able to work well together with Vanilluxe, even though she belonged to Georgia. It was nice to see both Stunfisk and Pignite help to stop the Ferroseed. Vanilluxe was very funny when she sprayed Oshawott when he kept chasing her.

30/100
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Oshawott throwing its scalchop in frustration and then ambling over to pick it up again was comic gold.

I personally very much enjoyed this episode. Iris bonding with ice types, who would've guessed?
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

I love the fact that Iris and Georgia are becoming closer and they hate it.
    They really are going to become best friends by the end aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    I love the fact that Iris and Georgia are becoming closer and they hate it.
    They really are going to become best friends by the end aren't they?
    No, Georgia just wants a real rival out of Iris, that's why she wants Iris to get stronger, so she can crush her and claim she beat a powerful dragon trainer. They're not going to end up as friends, but most likely rivals who respect each other at the end (like Ash and Paul).

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    No, Georgia just wants a real rival out of Iris, that's why she wants Iris to get stronger, so she can crush her and claim she beat a powerful dragon trainer. They're not going to end up as friends, but most likely rivals who respect each other at the end (like Ash and Paul).
    I don't know, that scene was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    I don't know, that scene was interesting.
    What scene is that?

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    What scene is that?
    Where Iris and Georgia talk about how Iris should become an Ice Master instead as she worked well with Vanilluxe, but Iris says no. She tells Georgia that she feels embarrassed being saved an Ice-type, and tells Georgia to thank Vanilluxe for her and smiles. Georgia seems like she's about to smile but holds her self back and leaves.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast