Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #75

Default Community POTW #75

Time for the next one, had a decent run of good ones of late, but the next lot after this week will be huge

This week we will be covering Flygon, the original Ground/Dragon Pokémon

It is capable of a lot despite being outclassed by Garchomp

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/330.shtml

Go nuts

Physigon
    Flygon@Life Orb
    Jolly nature
    Levitate
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Dragon Claw/Outrage
    ~Fire Punch
    ~Earthquake
    ~Stone Edge

Flygon, while not exactly Garchomp, is nevertheless a most respectable Pokémon. Nice Attack and Speed. Very nice indeed. So, down to business. First move is for STAB, which with Fire Punch gets nearly perfect coverage, only missing Heatran. Earthquake is also STAB, and helps with Heatran. Stone Edge is filler.

Item to boost Attack. Ability is non-negotiable.

Special Sand
    Flygon@Life Orb
    Timid nature
    Levitate
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Dragon Pulse
    ~Heat Wave
    ~Earth Power
    ~Giga Drain

A special version of the previous set. Same general idea behind it. Dragon Fire coverage, Ground move, filler. Though in this case, the filler move is Giga Drain, for restoring lost health from Life Orb.

Item and Ability I already explained.

Other options:
    *Flygon has a variety of other options, such as U-Turn and Hidden Power, but the sets I listed have more than sufficient coverage. U-Turn could be useful with Choice Band, though, which is also a viable option.
    *Hone Claws is a viable option on the physical set, though only Stone Edge would benefit from an accuracy boost. And Stone Edge is the filler move in that set.
    *Flamethrower works over Heat Wave if you find the accuracy off-putting.

Abilities:
    *Levitate: Flygon's one and only ability. Immune to Ground. Could be better, could be worse.

Partners:
    You can't go wrong with Smashpassing, but Flygon functions surprisingly well as is.

Counters:
    Not too much. Faster dragons are, of course, a major concern, and you'll want to watch out for certain walls, depending on which set you run.

Opinion:
    Definitely one of the cooler dragons.

Prediction for next week:
    To be announced.
    Last edited by Missingno. Master; 3rd June 2012 at 2:03 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical fix

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 10 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Fly gone wild

Choice Band/Lum Beryy
    4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
    Jolly/Adamant Nature
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Fire Punch

This is the average Offensive Set. Normally, use Choice Band. If you're running Outrage>Dragon Claw, use a Lum Berry

EDIT:I hate you Missigno Master. Cheap way to get first post. You beat me by a few seconds :P
    Last edited by jeffdavid102; 5th June 2012 at 1:28 AM.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

Offensive
    Item: Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly / Adamant
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw / Outrage
    - Stone Edge / Fire Punch
    - Hone Claws / U-Turn / Fire Punch

Earthquake and Dragon Claw are the STAB moves, but Outrage is an option for more power if you don't care about confusion. Stone Edge makes the EdgeQuake combo. Flygon finally got a boosting move in Hone Claws, which also boosts Stone Edge's accuracy. U-Turn can help scout while causing decent damage to common Psychics. Fire Punch is an option on either of the last two moveslots for added coverage against Bronzong or Air Balloon Metagross.
    Last edited by MatchMaster; 3rd June 2012 at 2:00 PM.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Specs?
    Nature: modest
    Item: Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 sp att 252 speed 4 hp
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    Solar Beam

A very bad set but in sun Fire Blast can do some decent damage. Earth Power and Draco Meteor for STAB, Solar Beam should be used in the sun.

Flygon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge/Fire Punch
    - Roost
    Nothing much that’s new, except for Roost. While it isn’t incredibly bulky, it isn’t a Flying type and it has Levitate anyway, so it won’t lose a typing after Roost.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Trapped in a pinch
    Trapinch@Life Orb
    Brave nature
    Arena Trap
    252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
    ~Earthquake
    ~Rock Slide
    ~Crunch
    ~Bug Bite/Quick Attack

Some of you might be surprised to learn that Trapinch's Attack stat is base 100, equal to that of Flygon! In fact, it's Vibrava that has the lowest Attack stat in that family. That being the case, between the high Attack and fact that it sports the third lowest base Speed in the game (losing only to Munchlax and Shuckle, who tie for first), Trapinch can function much like Dugtrio in a Trick Room team. Earthquake is for STAB, Rock Slide for a pseudo-EdgeQuake, Crunch for coverage, last move is filler. Bug Bite is decent enough, especially against Grass-types, and it can screw berry users over royally, but Quick Attack is useful in case Trick Room runs out.

Item is to boost the power of Trapinch's moves. Ability prevents foes from switching to safety.

Other options:
    *If you rack up enough Life Orb recoil, Flail might be worth a shot. And trust me, Life Orb recoil is the only way you'll be able to use Flail, because any attack from an opponent that isn't Electric will OHKO.

Abilities:
    *Hyper Cutter: Trapinch's Attack can't be lowered. Given its horrible defenses, though, who would even try? It could be useful against Intimidate, I suppose, but Arena Trap is just better.
    *Arena Trap: Prevents foes that aren't immune to Ground moves from switching out. The only Pokémon not in the Diglett line to get this ability, making Trapinch function very much like Dugtrio under Trick Room conditions. Very useful for trapping something your opponent wants the hell out of there, such as a Scarf Magnezone locked into Thunderbolt, or something similar.
    *Sheer Force: Trapinch's Hidden Ability. Powers up Trapinch's moves with secondary effects, but stops those effects. Legal on Trapinch, but not worth the bother. All it's gonna boost is Rock Slide and Crunch, and it comes at the cost of not only their nice side effects, but also Trapinch's... well... trapping capabilities. Now if it boosted Earthquake, or at least made Bulldoze stronger than Earthquake, then maybe, but it doesn't, so...

Partners:
    Trick Room support is obvious.

Counters:
    Physical walls, period. Skarmory in particular seems to exist solely as a giant middle finger to Trapinch. It can take anything a Trapinch can throw at it, cripple it with Toxic, and switch out in spite of Arena Trap, being part Flying. Priority moves can also screw Trapinch over royally, due to its paralyzingly horrific defenses.

Opinion:
    I like it. Very cool how the lowest evolution is just as usable as the final evolution.

Prediction for next week:
    Tornadus.
    Last edited by Missingno. Master; 3rd June 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Come on set up on me
    Nature: adamant
    Item: life orb
    EVs: 252 attack 252 speed 4 Hp
    Dragon claw
    Stone edge
    Earthquake
    Dragon tail

This set can get rid of rapid spinners pokemon that set up hazard setter uppers and and ones that set up on you other attacks are for coverage.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Victini is in this ball and it will V-Create you

Name: Victini
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    Thanks to silverysoul for the victini ball

Will latios go uber because soul dew is in b/w2??????

Hone Claws
    @Brightpowder
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability : Levitate
    Evs: 252Spd/100HP/152Atk
    -Hone Claws
    -Fissure
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    Flygon may seem bad compared to Garchomp, however Flygon has a few points that Garchomp doesn't have, namely Levitate. The ability that makes you immune to all ground type attacks (except sand attack) this means there is allot more that you can switch into. The set above is very gimmicky but if your in a place that allows OHKO moves and you manage to pull it off it can be quite deadly. Earthquake and dragon claw are a good combo but you need to watch out for Skarmory. Brightpowder is there so you have a chance to get another Hone Claws off.

Credit to iPokemon^

Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    Hone Claws
    @Brightpowder
    -Hone Claws
    -Fissure
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    Flygon may seem bad compared to Garchomp, however Flygon has a few points that Garchomp doesn't have, namely Levitate. The ability that makes you immune to all ground type attacks (except sand attack) this means there is allot more that you can switch into. The set above is very gimmicky but if your in a place that allows OHKO moves and you manage to pull it off it can be quite deadly. Earthquake and dragon claw are a good combo but you need to watch out for Skarmory. Brightpowder is there so you have a chance to get another Hone Claws off.
    Fissure is banned and use Life Orb over Brightpowder

Poor Flygon. I like it a lot, but due to the popularity of fellow Dragons Salamance and Dragonite, it's stuck in UU. You can't TOTALLY say Garchomp outclasses it though, as Garchomp is banned to the Uber tier. Flygon's stats are relatively balanced; it has base 80 HP, Defense, Sp. Attack, and Sp. Defense, and it has base 100 Attack and Speed. By most standards, those stats are merely average, and since Flygon's only boosting move is Hone Claws, it usually has to rely on a Band or Scarf to work best. Things aren't all bad for it, though. Flygon's Dragon/Ground STAB combo is resisted by only Skarmory and Levitating Bronzong, although the Air Balloon item is quite rampant. Although its typing gives it a severe 4x Ice weakness, it's immune to Electric attacks, including the very common Thunder Wave. Finally, its typing and ability make it very resistant to entry hazards, meaning Flygon can bounce in and out of battle easily, and it can even Roost to heal itself. If you need a Pokemon with these qualities, Flygon may be the perfect Pokemon for your team.

Recommended tiers: UU-OU

Levitate is Flygon's only ability, despite its pre-evo Trapinch getting three abilities. It makes Flygon immune to all Ground attacks except Sand Attack, and it floats right over Spikes and Toxic Spikes. This, combined with its Ground typing, means Flygon only takes slight damage from Stealth Rocks, making it a very effective Choice or Life Orb Pokemon.

With a Choice Band or Scarf, Flygon can reach around 450-490 Attack or Speed depending on nature, making it either very fast or very powerful. Flygon's most powerful attack is Outrage, which works well with a Choice item since you switch a lot. You can always use Dragon Claw instead, especially if you use a Life Orb set. Earthquake is a necessity, as it's very strong and gets STAB. U-Turn is a great scouting move that gels well with Flygon's good Speed stat. Stone Edge is good for coverage, but you won't be hitting Bronzong very hard. Fire Punch or Fire Blast can be used instead for Skarmory and Bronzong if you use Flygon in OU, and they also incinerate the pesky Ferrothorn. Thunderpunch works well for Gyarados, but other Water types take more from Outrage. Draco Meteor punches holes in Pokemon with high Defense but low Sp. Defense, like Rhyperior and Tangrowth. Crunch can be used for filler, but STAB Outrage is stronger than even a supereffective Crunch, so its pretty worthless. Roost helps keep Flygon nice and healthy, though you shouldn't use it on a Choice set. Flygon can also support with Tailwind and Dragon Tail, but supporting is better left to teammates.

Double and Triple options: STAB Earthquake is a big boon, and Flygon is also resistant or immune to opponent Earthquakes, Heat Waves, Sludge Waves, and Rock Slides. Watch out for the oddball Icy Wind, though. You can also use Flygon as a partner for an ally with Earthquake.

Countering Flygon: Ice attacks easily slay the insect-like dragon, but it will try and bounce out of play before that happens. First, you have to figure out what item Flygon is holding. If its Banded, there are many Pokemon that can outrun it, such as Alakazam and Weavile. If it's Scarfed, try priority. Weavile again works well, as it gets Ice Shard and can also smack Flygon with Pursuit as it flees. Jumpluff and Whimsicott can move before Flygon (the latter can even if Flygon is Scarfed thanks to Prankster) and either put it to Sleep or Paralyze it with their respective powders. Rhyperior won't like Draco Meteors, but its extremely high Defense and Solid Rock will enable it to take Flygons other attacks, and it can fight back with Megahorn. In OU, Skarmory, Bronzong, and Ferrothorn only fear Flygon's Fire attacks, though they can't do a whole lot to Flygon in return.

Pre-evolution corner: Trapinch is crazy slow, but that makes it a prime Trick Room Pokemon. It boasts a base 100 Attack, which is insanely high in Little Cup, and can also trap opponents with Arena Trap. Although its movepool is very small, it can hit just as hard as its final form, which is extremely rare among unevolved Pokemon. Trapinch got Sheer Force as its Dream World ability, but Arena Trap is generally better.
    Last edited by ClefairyRox; 3rd June 2012 at 3:10 PM.

Hone Claws
    @Brightpowder
    -Hone Claws
    -Fissure
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    OHKO moves aren't affected by accuracy or evasion modifications. Fissure would still have 30% accuracy.

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Toxic Shuffler
    @Leftovers
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    Evs:252HP/126Def/126Sp.Def
    -Toxic
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake/Stone Edge
    -Dragon Claw/Stone edge
    Provided that that you don't come across any Ice Shard users this set is quite viable. Basically you use Toxic, then use Dragon Tail etc. What can really help this set is Spikes/Stealth Rock and a Baton Passed Sub might come in handy.

Edit: My mistake. I always thought that it boosted it. (So thats why my Escadrill Horn Drill set never worked)

Credit to iPokemon^

Toxic Shuffler
    @Leftovers
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    Evs:252HP/126Def/126Sp.Def
    -Toxic
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake/Stone Edge
    -Dragon Claw/Stone edge
    Provided that that you don't come across any Ice Shard users this set is quite viable. Basically you use Toxic, then use Dragon Tail etc. What can really help this set is Spikes/Stealth Rock and a Baton Passed Sub might come in handy.

Edit: My mistake. I always thought that it boosted it. (So thats why my Escadrill Horn Drill set never worked)
    I'd prefer to do dragonite's set as a defensive form if you need performance on dragon tail. But I did miss her, you know Jirachi's loyal pokemon, along with Absol. Refer to Pokemon Movie 6. If only the gave her quiver dance, she'd have a fighting chance to seperate herself from possibly her other hoenn dragon brother salamence. I mean, Flygon was one an ant, bugs with wings learn quiver dance.
    But enough of that, I'd say that trapinch is the improved one thanks to sheer force
    Current Chapter: 35: Methol's Need (Click the Banner above)

Generic Scarf Set
    @Choice Scarf
    Nature: Adamant/Timid
    Evs:252Atk/252Spd/4Def
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Stone Edge
    -U-turn
    [Insert generic signature here]

Ah, Flygon. The original cool guy. I've always like him. His typing gives him a whopping two whole weaknesses, although admittedly one is double super-effective, which sucks. Flygon has the offensive typing necessary to kill everything, but lacks the stats. Actually, this is a pretty good thing, as it keeps it right at the top of UU without getting banned or into UU. He has average Attack and Speed, and by average I mean base 100 in both stats. As average as it gets. He has a very average movepool, but an awesome ability, giving him a random resistance that isn't even SE to him. Cool! Unfortunately, he has no DW ability

Levitate: Ground type attacks do not affect this pokemon. It definitely could be worse, knowing Gamefreak.

Dragon Stance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Punch
    -U-Turn
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs and Natures: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp. Atk)
    252 Atk/252 Spd
    This is the Choice Band set that has been wrecking UU. STAB Outrage destroys almost everything, Fire Punch kills whoever resists it, a.k.a Steel types. Oh wait, an Empoleon! What do we do? That's right, STAB Earthquake. U-Turn is to scout.

Other Options
    You could go with a Life Orb set instead, with Dragon Claw.
    Flamethrower hits pokemon like Skarmory harder.

Counters
    Frankly, there aren't many pokemon that can successfully counter Flygon. It has the best offensive typing in the game, workable stats, and a good move-pool. The only way I can think of beating him is either to stall through hail or to send out a Reshiram to beat it, neither of which are easy to achieve. It is kind of frail, so if you can get off enough Ice Shards or predict correctly you can take him down. Either way, it is no easy feat.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Choicegon.
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    EVs:4HP/252Atk/252Spd
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    U-turn
    Fire Punch

Standard Physical Flygon. Unresisted sans Air Balloon Heatran. Outrage is powerful, just beware the confusion and inability to switch ( and change attack, but that doesn't matter because of you Choice item.) Earthquake is Earthquake : strong, reliable, and a brilliant STAB attack. U-turn is for scouting. Fire Punch gets rid of Ices that are without Ice Shard.

R.I.P The Crystalline Guard ~ Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

Flygon, for a long time my favourite Pokemon of all, until Glaceon just pipped it. However, Flygon is far more usable in battle than Glaceon.

Here's my set:
    Very mixed up sweeper
    Item: Life Orb
    Hasty/Naive nature; 252 Atk, 4 SpAtk, 252 Spd
    Outrage
    Fire Blast/Heat Wave
    Earthquake
    Roost

This set is intended to take advantage of Flygon's immunities and STABs to be able to switch in on things then hit hard, or use Roost to recover Life Orb damage if by some luck you get the chance to. The offensive moves are resisted only by balloon Heatran. Outrage is the common move of nearly all dragons to obliterate things; EQ is more physical stab; Fire Blast or Heat Wave are for melting the steels not week to EQ, and one of Flygon's small niches over Garchomp is its higher SpAtk so it can cope slightly better with Skarmory and Forretress.

Downsides: Garchomp is just better, crucially being faster and having Swords Dance to break worlds. Ice Shard ruins Flygon as well, and compared to the standard sweepers of 5th gen Flygon severely lacks power. It still looks and sounds great though.

Team of my favourites:

4th Gen 'Demolition Squad'

MY FAVOURITE POKÉMON NEXT WEEK? I'M SO HAPPY!
    (Confetti, fireworks and Katy Perry's sweets inside my head while getting a Dragongasm)

Now for serious business:
    Though Flygon is outclassed by many other Dragon types (Dragonite, Salamence and Garchomp for example), this dragonfly can go far in the right hands (and brains).

Ability:
    Levitate: Flygon's most useful (and only) ability, grants full immunity to all Ground-type moves, unless certain abilities (Mold Breaker), items (Iron Ball) and moves (Gravity or Worry Seed) are in play.

Pros:
    Overall decent stats (100 Atk and Spd and 80 in the others)
    One of the (very few) Pokémon who are resistant to the (in)famous Quake-Edge combo (the others are Breloom, Torterra, Levitate Bronzong and Virizion)
    High resistance to entry hazards (Immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes) and resistant to Stealth Rock
    Also immune to Sandstorm
    Roost doesn't remove its Ground immunity (unlike Dragonite and Salamence)

Cons:
    4x weakness to Ice-type moves
    Roost doesn't remove its 4x Ice weakness (unlike Dragonite and Salamence)
    Outclassed by several Dragon-type Pokémon

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
    Flygon@Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Expert Belt
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch
    Roost/U-turn/Stone Edge
    Dragon Claw and Earthquake are your STAB moves of choice, Fire Punch is for basic coverage (against pesky Steels which resist your STAB moves), Roost is to heal, U-turn can be used to scout your opponents' moves, Stone Edge is for the (in)famous Quake Edge combo (only 5 Pokémon resist this combo).
    About items, Life Orb is for sheer power with the recoil (Roost is recommended), the Choice items are to boost your power or to outspeed the opposition (don't use Roost in that case) and Expert Belt because Flygon gets good coverage (Stone Edge is the best option).
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Flygon, the insectoid dragon.

My claws tear the earth
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 189 Sp. Def, 67 Def, 252 HP
    Item: Chesto Berry, Apicot Berry, or Yache berry
    Moves:
    Home Claws
    Fissure
    Dragon Tail
    Roost/Rest

A moveset so devastating that it is banned. The hone claws give fissure boosted accuracy and dragon tail more power. Ice types will be your worst enemies, so having rest or roost handy is the best way to go. Weakness? HAZE and CLEAR SMOG!!! Also, any pokemon with sturdy, levitate, and a flying type can stop it, too.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Awesome, a former Scarf master that's kinda fallen from grace due to the power creep in Gen 5 among other things.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Quote Originally Posted by GirlKirbyZombie View Post
    Flygon, the insectoid dragon.

My claws tear the earth
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 189 Sp. Def, 67 Def, 252 HP
    Item: Chesto Berry, Apicot Berry, or Yache berry
    Moves:
    Home Claws
    Fissure
    Dragon Tail
    Roost/Rest

A moveset so devastating that it is banned. The hone claws give fissure boosted accuracy and dragon tail more power. Ice types will be your worst enemies, so having rest or roost handy is the best way to go. Weakness? HAZE and CLEAR SMOG!!! Also, any pokemon with sturdy, levitate, and a flying type can stop it, too.

Read the post below. I made the same mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    OHKO moves aren't affected by accuracy or evasion modifications. Fissure would still have 30% accuracy.

Credit to iPokemon^

Nice glasses, these!
    Nature: Modest/ Timid
    Item: Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
    Earth Power
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
    Hidden Power [Rock]/ Giga Drain

Another Standard Choice, this set works like the previous set, just off Flygon's Sp.Atk instead. Draco Meteor is your Dragon STAB, just don't use it if you want to keep in for a long time. Earth Power is your secondary STAB, and hits many Pokémon for SE damage. Fire Blast is to dispose of Ice Types, while Flamethrower is there if you don't like Fire Blasts accuracy. Hidden Power [Rock] gives Pseudo EdgeQuake coverage, Giga Drain is there for recovery while still doing damage.

Prediction for next week
    Again, Weavile (come on RNG!)

R.I.P The Crystalline Guard ~ Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

Flygon is pretty good. That's really it though. It's not great, just good.

Solar Dragon
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
    @: Life Orb

Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    Solarbeam/Sunny Day

Flygon can be used in sunlight pretty well. It is pretty odd, but it works quite well. It does require Ninetails support. In UU, Sunny Day can be used over Solarbeam.

Flygon's a Boxer
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 hp
    @: Life Orb

Outrage
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch/Screech/Hone Claws
    Roost/Screech/Hone Claws

Ground and Dragon have great coverage. It sucks that Flygon doesn't have Dragon Dance, but lets work around that. Beyond STAB, Fire Punch hits the floating Steel Types Skarmory and Bronzong while Roost lets you recover Life Orb recoil. Hone Claws will power you up. Screech is the closest thing to Swords Dance Flygon has.

Flygon Special Attack
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
    @: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    Roost/Giga Drain

Gimmicky, but very doable.

Flygon's ultimate gimmick
    EVs: 252 hp and speed, 4 attack
    @: Leftovers

Sand Tomb
    Screech
    Outrage
    Earthquake

This is gimmicky, but kind of doable. Not really.

The biggest issue Flygon has is the lack of any big stats and a reliable boosting move outside of Hone Claws, which is not enough. Flygon would have loved Dragon Dance. Even Work Up at the very least would be usable.
    I claim Buizel.

Nobody has yet mentioned Quick Attack, but it's not a bad move at all on Flygon, especially with set up.

Flygon @ Life Orb
    Jolly nature
    252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Hone Claws
    -Dragon Claw / Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Quick Attack

fairly self-explanatory

Flygon @ Life Orb
    Timid nature
    252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Dragonbreath
    -Draco Meteor

Flygon can do special too. Earth Power is reliable STAB, Fire Blast is support against Skarmory, Bronzong, and balloon Metagross. Draco Meteor is your high power move, and Dragonbreath is a neat support move that is in my opinion underrated, with its really nice paralyzing chance. Most foes won't expect being paralyzed by a Flygon at all, so it has a nice surprise factor. Besides you already have your other moves covering the higher power needs.

Other options:
    -Giga Drain isn't powerful, but it carries surprise to any water type thinking they can switch in and Ice Beam you down. Apart from Swampert and Quagsire it barely hits harder than Earth Power though
    -Iron Tail is a powerful move, yet not one that Flygon really needs. Steel just doesn't have any super effective coverage addition to its conventional moves and neutral coverage is not something that Flygon lacks
    -Mimic is just cool to have in your movepool, but generally not useful in a moveset.
    -Roost can be used to recover health
    -Sand Tomb can trap foes. It's not really good as it takes a turn to use before the opponent is trapped, but it isn't bad at all, especially on unconventional sets that require different counters from the generic set.
    -Stone Edge can be useful in combination with Hone Claws to kill flying types
    -Tailwind can be used as support.

Opinion:
    Flygon may not be the best pokémon in the world, but it is unique and it is quite good. It also boasts a very large movepool for the UU tier, and it can be quite unpredictable due to all the things it can do. It can support, attack physically, attack special side, and it has quite a bit of resistances. It works well in doubles due to its immunity to Discharge and Earthquake, its resistance to Heat Wave and Rock Slide, and it has its own Heat Wave and Earthquake as well. It also resists Stealth Rock, is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and it works well in both sun and sand. Flygon is really cool.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 3rd June 2012 at 7:59 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast