Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #75

Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    Read the post below. I made the same mistake!
    Darn. Well, I can see why that it is: The game would be broken.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Ah, Flygon. He has probably the best offensive typing in the game, Dragon/Ground. Levitate means he is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes and takes minimal damage from Stealth Rock, making him a very low maintenance Pokemon to use and can be simply slapped on a variety of teams with little thought. The only thing letting him down is his stats. He's stuck with average 80/80/80 defences and while 100 Speed is good 100 Atk and 80 Spatk are hardly threatening compared to his OU brethren, Salamence, Dragonite, Haxorus and Hydreigon. He also lacks good boosting moves such as Dragon Dance, having to make do with Hone Claws if he wants to setup. He still has his amazing STAB coverage and the lack of many Steels means he remains a big UU threat.

3 attacks + Roost
    Flygon@Life Orb
    Jolly
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Spdef
    Levitate
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/U-turn
    -Roost

This really abuses Flygon's ability as a low maintenance sweeper. 3 attacks + Roost gives you consistent power and freedom from the Life Orb while you can Roost when given an opportunity allowing you to sweep again.
    Your STAB moves of choice cover all of UU (bar Bronzong). Fire Blast takes care of it as well as Shaymin, Tangrowth and Escavalier. You could also use U-turn to keep up offensive pressure and do decent damage to Grass, Psychic types and the odd Zoroark.

Counters
    Flygon is pretty hard to Counter in UU. Scarf variants tend to U-turn at first sign of trouble, Band variants 2KO the majority of the tier and Life Orb variants are free of the restrictions of prediction and can heal themselves for another sweep.
    Eviolite Gligar is probably your best bet to try and counter all this. 252/252 Gligar only takes 37.72-44.31% from a Choice Band Outrage. It can then use Toxic and stall it out with Roost. It takes minimal damage from any other Attacks being 3KOed by LO Outrage and 4KOed by Choice Scarf Outrage.
    Bronzong is another big one. It's the only Pokemon in the tier that resists it's STABs and has a strong Gyro Ball to retaliate with. It does have to watch out for Fire moves though. Slowbro is a pretty safe bet. Bar CB Outrage it fares quite well and has Regenerator.
    If Flygon doesn't have a Scarf, then a lot of Pokemon revenge it. Frosslass, Weavile, Azelf etc. all prey on it's average Defences with their wonderful speed and offences.

Flygon is versatile, low maintenance and quite a threatening Pokemon to go up against. While outclassed by all other Dragons (bar Altaria), Flygon is really at home in UU and will probably remain a big threat right through this generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    3 attacks + Roost
    Flygon@Life Orb
    Jolly
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Spdef
    Levitate
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Punch/U-turn
    -Roost
    Changes in bold.
    Outrage takes away Flygon's freedom during 2-3 turns and leaves him confused and allows your opponent to switch to a Steel type or a Pokémon with Ice Shard (mostly via revenge kill)
    Also I would use Fire Punch over Fire Blast because of the chosen nature and Fire Punch has better accuracy than Fire Blast.
    I agree with your comment about Flygon being a low maintenance sweeper (as long as you don't find an Ice type Pokémon or a Water type with Ice type moves).
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post

Special Sand
    Flygon@Life Orb
    Timid nature
    Levitate
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Dragon Pulse
    ~Heat Wave
    ~Earth Power
    ~Giga Drain

A special version of the previous set. Same general idea behind it. Dragon Fire coverage, Ground move, filler. Though in this case, the filler move is Giga Drain, for restoring lost health from Life Orb.

Item and Ability I already explained.

Flygon can't learn Dragon Pulse and I like the idea that you predict a NU for the next POTW

EDIT: sbktdreed summed up the problem with dragon pulse, sorry
    Last edited by Dragalge; 3rd June 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Personal Moveset
    Item: Yache Berry
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower
    Stone Edge

All-Physcial
    Item: Muscle Band/Life Orb
    Adamant
    252 Attack/252 Speed/6 Defense OR 172 Attack & Speed/84 Defense/82 Sp Defense
    Dragon Claw/Outrage*
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Hone Claws/Crunch/Aerial Ace/U-Turn/Fire Punch*

All-Special
    Item: Wise Specs/Life Orb
    Modest
    252 Sp Attack/252 Speed/6 Defense OR 172 Sp Attack & Speed/84 Defense/82 Sp Defense
    Draco Meteor
    Earth Power
    Flamethrower
    Toxic/Sandstorm/Signal Beam/Giga Drain*/Ominous Wind*

* Gen 4 Move

Partners
    Earthquake-uses if you use Dig
    Clear Smog/Haze-users if you use Draco Meteor and not hold a White Herb like Weezing or Gengar.
    Sandstorm-users holding a Smooth Roch or Tyranitar/Hippowdon
    Safeguard/Heal Bell/Aromatherapy-users if you use Outrage as well as Skill Swap-user with Own Tempo like Grimpig.

Countering
    Gravity/Smack Down-users
    High Defense pokemon with Ice-type moves like Ice Shard Donphan, Starmie, or Ice Punch Lopunny, Ice Fang Gliscor. If Trick Room is in effect, Blizzard Glaceon/Frost Rotom/Slowbro/Walreign/Gorebyss, Blastoise, Ice Fang Huntail/Feraligatr, and Ice Punch Dusknoir are recommended.
    Avalanche-users like Cloyster, Vanilluxe, Swampert, Mamoswine, and Beartic.
    Other pokemon include Froslass and Weavile.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 4th June 2012 at 1:33 AM. Reason: From recent reply
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Other Options:
    Tailwind- this is a good support move but Flygon isn't cut out for it
    Signal Beam: provides some coverage

@sbktdreed like I said to MissingNo. Master, Flygon can't learn Dragon Pulse and dragonbreath is useless. Also all Chandelure don't run Clear Smog and Faint Attack, as well as Fly shouldn't be used on flygon

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post

Other options: Roost is good for recovery but use life orb. It's secondary effect won't work on flygon and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. (mostly bad in flygon's case!)
    Roost can be good or bad depending of the situation.
    Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's Ground immunity (unless your opponent used Trick to pass an Iron Ball or a Target Ring), Gravity is in play or your opponent used Worry Seed.
    Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's 4x Ice weakness.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Just stop! Stop comparing flygon to the other OU or even Uber dragons in the game... Flygon is between the very few of dragon type pokemon to be used in a tier that is not OU or above and in the UU tier it shines so brightly that no other dragon type even tries to faint it's light! Sure, there are plenty of better dragons in the game but flygon is the best dragon in UU facing competition from no other dragon types (altaria is defensive while druddigon is completely different). Flygon is backed by a wonderful movepool, although better in the previous generation where it had easier access to some stronger moves like outrage and fire punch loosing some good coverage and making it relies on flamethrower or fire blast, it is still good enough to make flygon a huge threat. Flygon's STAB grants it great coverage and with an ATT stat respectable enough, it will leave deep holes in your opponent's team with stabbed earthquake and outrage. It's defenses are balanced but not amazing while it's typing makes it a target for Ice type attacks. Nevertheless, Flygon is a respectable pokemon in every aspect, even in uniqueness: It's based off of an insect, but it's not a bug type, it have wings and can fly but it's not a flying type. It's first form has nothing to do with it's other forms, it's completely different that it also has a different typing, different abilities and an all in all different usability. Speaking of trapinch it is the only pre evolved pokemon that is better than it's own evolution not counting eviolite or other items. Trapinch, have the highest attack stat of all arena trap users (diglett and dugtrio being the others) making it a very good trapper and revenge killer under trick room. Vibrava on the other hand is no where near as usable even in the NFE tier having mediocre stats and an ability not as useful.
    This family of pokemon is very unique indeed and does not trade uniqueness with power as other pokemon do, but it is still a very frightful family to face even with it's smallest member!

Flygon@choice band/Choice scarf
    Ability levitate
    Nature +Speed , -DEF/Sp def or +ATT, -DEF/Sp DEF
    Evs: 252 ATT/ 252 SPD/ 4 HP
    Moveset:
    -U-turn
    -Outrage/Dragon claw
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch/Fire punch/Fire blast/Quick attack
    A very straight forward set! Attack until your opponent's fall using the move that is most effective against it. Outrage is the most powerful move flygon has access to (Draco meteor is special) making it a clear choice for the set but if you don't have access to it via move tutors in 4th gen, dragon claw is a viable option but you'll notice the significant loss of power. Earthquake is that kind of move when a physical sweeper can learn it in any possible way, it GOT to be on the set or you're just being foolish! U-turn is for scouting while dealing decent damage. The last slot is for a filler move. While earthquake can hit steel types really hard it fails to KO air balloon users or skarmory. Fire punch is here to cure this issue hitting super effectively and with decent power. For the same reasons as above, you can replace fire punch with fire blast using flygon's mediocre but usable special attack stat. Crunch can be used to hit ghost types and psychic types really hard if you find that a fire type move is not important. Quick attck is just here for quicker opponents but really isn't that useful in providing good coverage or dealing good damage. It's just a priority attack!

Other options: Roost is good for recovery but use life orb. It's secondary effect won't work on flygon and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. (mostly bad in flygon's case!)
    Dragon tail is good for phazing but flygon lacks the bulk to use it effectively but can be considered for a surprise defensive flygon "?"
    Hone claws is flygon's solo boosting move... it is better off with using a choice item.
    Stone edge is a good attack with good coverage.
    Substitute could be added to the defensive set... I really don't know how that would work!!
    Flygon's special movepool is very good actually and can be used for a mixed set or a surprise pure special sweeper but it is completely outclassed by physical flygon.

Flygon is not a difficult pokemon to support, just use a partner that can get rid of opposing ice types or and flygon should be fine.

As for next week, I think it will be wailord, as wailords are so huge!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    like I said to MissingNo. Master, Flygon can't learn Dragon Pulse and dragonbreath is useless. Also all Chandelure don't run Clear Smog and Faint Attack, as well as Fly shouldn't be used on flygon
    According to the website, Flygon can learn Dragon Pulse as an Gen 4 TM move, which I believe I stated before I made the change. Dragonbreath can cause paralysis. Clear Smog is an egg move as well as Haze for Chandelure. Flygon is one of only a few pokemon that can Fly that is not weak against Thunder like Dragonite, Altaria, Salamence, Golurk, Hydreigon, and Volcarona.
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanusX View Post
    Roost can be good or bad depending of the situation.
    Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's Ground immunity (unless your opponent used Trick to pass an Iron Ball or a Target Ring), Gravity is in play or your opponent used Worry Seed.
    Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's 4x Ice weakness.
    That is why I was not sure... Sticking with the ground immunity is good but sticking with that 4x weakness is bad! Although roost's effect lasts for one turn, it won't make that difference anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed
    According to the website, Flygon can learn Dragon Pulse as an Gen 4 TM move, which I believe I stated before I made the change. Dragonbreath can cause paralysis. Clear Smog is an egg move as well as Haze for Chandelure. Flygon is one of only a few pokemon that can Fly that is not weak against Thunder like Dragonite, Altaria, Salamence, Golurk, Hydreigon, and Volcarona.
    Isn't golurk immune to thunder due to it being ground type? Hydreigon also resist thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up and I mean the moves are bad, You will never see a Chandelure set with Clear Smog since it is always attacking with full powerful moves, and fly is still hit by Hurricane as well gives your opponent a free turn to set up. Faint attack is weak though U-turn has potential to hit then switch.

and I like the idea that you predict a NU for the next POTW
    Re-reading the first post, I have a feeling I now know what the next POTW will really be. It's prediction revision time!

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 2 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Dragon Pulse is TM 59...... Roost affect any Pokémon that is airborne including Flygon.
    Nambiri

A set nobody's posted yet.

SubRoost

Flygon @ Leftovers
    Jolly
    100 HP/156 Atk/252 Spd
    Levitate
    Substitute
    Roost
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw

Send this in on something the Scarf set threatens, like CB Terrakion. Then set up a Sub, and stall like you would any other SubRooster.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Overview:
    Flygon is one of those good Pokemon that suffers an inferiority complex. Much like Dragonite was in the shadow of Salamence, Flygon is outclassed by Garchomp, who shares the Dragon/Ground typing. This does not mean that Flygon is bad, however. Flygon sports base 100 Attack and Speed, which are above average (Flygon is only 2 base points lower than Garchomp in terms of Speed). Also, Flygon sports 80/80/80 in his defensive stats, which are only average but not horrible. Flygon has one advantage over Garchomp: the ability Levitate. This gives Flygon an immunity to Ground moves, which it can use to switch on, as well as not being affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes, something Garchomp can't do. Flygon's movepool also mimics Garchomp's, thus having what it needs to do its job. A double weakness to Ice and not having outstanding stats puts Flygon in the lower tiers, but he is left unchecked, you'll see why Master Drake of the Hoenn Elite Four used Flygon.

Abilities (well, ability):
    Levitate: Makes Flygon immune to Ground-type moves, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. This is a great ability, as it gives Flygon more opportunities to switch in and sweep.

Movesets:

Choice
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage/ Dragon Claw
    -U-Turn/ Stone Edge
    -Fire Punch
    Item: Choice Band/ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Jolly/ Adamant
    EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Defense, 252 Speed

This set aims to let Flygon be boosted right off the bat and sweep. Earthquake is one of the best moves in the game, and has STAB on Flygon. Outrage also gets STAB on Flygon and hits hard on almost everything. Because Outrage locks you in and confuses you once the move is over, Dragon Claw can be an option, although the power drop is very noticeable. U-Turn allows you to scout and keep your momentum up, but Stone Edge provides some extra coverage, particularly many Ice-types. Fire Punch also covers Ice-types, as well as providing a good way to deal with Bronzong.

The choice item is dependent on whether you are looking for power or to make Flygon more of a revenge killer. Either nature could be run with either choice item, but Jolly with Choice Band and Adamant with Choice Scarf works best. The EVs maximize the two stats Flygon needs.

Non-offensive Flygon?
    -Dragon Tail/ Dragon Claw
    -Substitute
    -Roost
    -Toxic/ Tailwind
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP, 252 Defense, 8 Sp. Defense

Flygon isn't really defensive, so this set is very much a gimmick. However, Flygon does sport 2 immunities and 3 resistances, so it may not fail too badly. Dragon Tail is great if you have entry hazards up, which can help you rack up extra damage. If you don't have entry hazards for some reason, Dragon Claw works better, plus it has higher accuracy, power, and priority. Substitute gives you a buffer against status conditions and some damage, while Roost heals off damage done to Flygon, even HP lost to set up a Substitute. Toxic can wear out foes, but Tailwind is if you really want Flygon to give extra support to the team by boosting Speed. It does help Flygon, though, so it is a decent option.

The nature and EVs make Flygon into a physical wall of sorts, but a Careful nature with 248 HP, 8 Defense, and 252 Sp. Defense can be done if you want more of a special wall. Again, this set is more of a gimmick than anything else.

Other Options:
    -Flygon can go a mixed route, but with a base 80 Sp. Attack and no boosting moves, it isn't advised.

Counters:
    Flygon is not easy to counter, but physically bulky Pokemon can somewhat counter Flygon. Suicune and Milotic can tank some of Flygon's moves and hit back with a super-effective hit. Escavalier can take any non-Fire moves and can strike back with powerful moves like Megahorn. Weavile can desimate Flygon with its powerful STAB Ice moves, but it will need Ice Shard to outspeed a Choice Scarfer. If you can burn Flygon somehow, he won't be able to dish out as much damage. If you can play it smart, you can keep this mini-Garchomp from wrecking your team.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

In OU, the scarf set lacks power... Badly... I have used both sets now in OU and the only one really viable is the Band. U-Turn and STAB EQ/Outrages actually hurt and there are better Terrakion checks than ScarfGon...

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up and I mean the moves are bad, You will never see a Chandelure set with Clear Smog since it is always attacking with full powerful moves, and fly is still hit by Hurricane as well gives your opponent a free turn to set up. Faint attack is weak though U-turn has potential to hit then switch.
    I already removed Fly, Chandelure, and Faint Attack from the post. I forgot about Hurricane, but a Sunny Day setup will weaken it espically if Flygon knows Flamethrower or Fire Blast. As a note, Chandelure can be a partner against Ice-types, espically if it knows Inferno or Flamethrower against a Ice Fang/Avalanche/Icicle Clash/Ice Punch-users like Mamoswine, Vanilluxe, or Beartic.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 4th June 2012 at 2:04 AM.

Expert at being awesome
    Jolly@Expert belt
    252 Att/252 Spd
    -dragon claw
    -earthquake
    -fire punch
    -rock smash/crunch/steel wing

Dragon claw and earthquake are obvious for STAB. Fire punch slaughters ice/grass/bug etc. but mainly ice. Rock smash is all you've got to hit water/ice types with, however it is weak, and the defense drop is the only thing that made me mention it. Crunch gets an extra boost against ghost and psychic types, and hits Froslass harder than fire punch (defense drop is nice). Steel wing gets coverage relative to earthquake while possibly raising defense; iron tail is an option if you want power over accuracy. Works okay in UU, though completely relies on super-effective hits, because without LO/CB, that base 100 Att just isn't high enough. However, defense drops really benefit this set, as hone claws is its only boosting move. Roost can be for recovery, though it doesn't fit in this set due to coverage issues. Roost works best on LO or stall sets better anyways...
    Friend Safari: Psychic
    Pokémon: Grumpig, Xatu, Sigilyph
    FC: 2707-1924-1041

Default My Favorite Pokemon!

Ah, Flygon. My favorite Pokemon, and the best Dragon, imo. Why is it UU? Due to the power creep of B/W, 100/80/100 offenses in this generation don't cut it. Players choose other dragons like Latios and Haxorus due to higher offenses. It seems Flygon is overshadowed in everything it does. However, a near immunity to entry hazards thanks to Levitate and Ground typing and U-Turn give it an edge over other dragons. Just don't treat Flygon like a Salamence.

Fashion Dragon

Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Moves:
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    U-Turn
    Fire Blast/Fire Punch/Stone Edge

The most common set on Flygon. This is no surprise, either, as a Choice item will raise Flygon's Attack or Speed to more respectable levels. Outrage is Flygon's most powerful attack, used for STAB alongside Earthquake. U-Turn is used best with Choice Scarf equipped, getting Flygon out of a bad situation. The "scouting" part of it was made redundant with Team Preview, so keep that in mind. Of the two Fire moves in the last slot, Fire Blast is preferred; Fire Punch, however, comes off Flygon's better Attack stat. However, apart from dealing heavy damage to Steel-types like Skarmory or Ferrothorn, both moves are easily set up on. Stone Edge can 2HKO Volcarona and attain perfect coverage with EdgeQuake.

It's a hard pick with the natures; I'd recommend Jolly with Choice Band. With Scarf, however, it's an even more difficult pick. Adamant with Scarf lets Flygon get that power boost it desperately needs; however, more Speed lets it outpace more opponents, such as Scarf Terrakion.

Lothar (Mixed Flygon)

Item: Life Orb
    EVs: 212 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 40 Atk
    Nature: Rash/Naive
    Moves:
    Draco Meteor
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast
    U-Turn/Roost/Outrage

This set is aiming to destroy the physical walls that get in your way. Want Lucario to sweep but that Skarmory won't die? Send in Flygon. Your opponent sends in Skarmory expecting Earthquake or something, only to meet their doom by Fire Blast. Then Gliscor comes in, expecting you to be locked into Fire Blast, again to be met by a Draco Meteor. U-Turn for the same reason as the physical set. Roost for healing, although it may be tough to find the right timing to heal. Outrage if it's lategame and you can sweep.

Checks and Counters
    Pokemon that Flygon doesn't hit for super effective damage are counters. Bulky Water-types do a good job of this, such as Suicune, Vaporeon, and Jellicent. Blissey is also a good check if it carries Ice Beam. Pokemon with priority are also good counters, like Scizor and Weavile. All in all, Flygon is not very powerful, so anything that can take a hit from it is a good counter.

Opinion: MY FAVORITE POKEMON. Even though it's not very strong, it's still a good Pokemon.

Prediction for next week: Mightyena
    Last edited by FantasyLegend; 4th June 2012 at 2:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    It is capable of a lot despite being outclassed by Garchomp
    Lol, if we're trying to be relevant to the OU metagame, mentioning chomp is kind of random...

Anyway, if not chompy, there is something sitting in OU that solidly outclasses Flygon pretty solidly in most of its roles. I'm talking about Landorus. With better bulk and that oh-so important fighting resist, along with Sand Force and just plain more power behind it, Lando is generally superior. The only thing Flygon really has over it is an SR resist. The water neutrality and other small factors are negated by Flygon's lack of bulk. Fire moves would give it an edge if Lando didn't already 2hko Scizor(while fearing BP less) and put a huge chunk in Ferrothorn.

So, if we want to have a successful POTW for Flygon, we should be focusing on the roles it can fill that lando can't. I haven't played with Flygon extensively, but for those of you who have used Flygon over Landorus, putting forth the roles you've used Flygon to fill would be helpful. We already know about ScarfGon and BandGon, and imo the only reason to run those in OU is "originality" (if you consider purposefully using weaker mons for cool points originality). Interesting Flygon sets that have proven themselves in battle by filling interesting roles are we need here.

so metal

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    It is capable of a lot despite being outclassed by Garchomp
    And Landorus, Hydreigon, Terrakion, Latios, Haxrorus, Jirachi, and Salamence. Unless you mean a set other than Choice Scarf in which case Flygon is extra terrible.

Flygon is solid in UU though.

I think he meant Ground/Dragon...but seeing there's only 2 fully evolved mon in that range, its still means nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    And Landorus, Hydreigon, Terrakion, Latios, Haxorus, Jirachi, and Salamence. Unless you mean a set other than Choice Scarf in which case Flygon is extra terrible.
    Flygon is solid in UU though.
    Maybe so, but it's excellent there. Being the only Dragon besides Kingdra is pretty handy. It isn't that bad tho.
    Terrakion and Jirachi don't have access to any of his (Flygon's) most used attacks (except Jirachi has Fire Punch). Hydreigon is mostly Special, Landorus has a different move-pool, and Latios is also special. Haxorus doesn't have Fire Punch or U-Turn. Except for Salamence, every single one of these pokemon have different attacks and specialties. Comparing them to Flygon is like saying Gyarados and Milotic are the same, because they have the same general typing and move pools. All together, yes, they make Flygon useless and redundant. But separately, Salamence is the only one with the potential to over-shadow him, but he usually has a different set of moves as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofield View Post
    So, if we want to have a successful POTW for Flygon, we should be focusing on the roles it can fill that lando can't. I haven't played with Flygon extensively, but for those of you who have used Flygon over Landorus, putting forth the roles you've used Flygon to fill would be helpful. We already know about ScarfGon and BandGon, and imo the only reason to run those in OU is "originality" (if you consider purposefully using weaker mons for cool points originality). Interesting Flygon sets that have proven themselves in battle by filling interesting roles are we need here.
    Actually, I take back the thing I said about Landorus; however, it still doesn't have Dragon type Attacks or a good Choice Band set (compared to its usual one anyway)
    Like BH said before, Flygon is in UU, not OU. There's a reason for that. Flygon just doesn't have the strength to keep up in OU. In UU, however, its move-pool makes it completely usable. The reason Scarf and Band are the main ones posted is because there aren't really any other sets that work for him. His stats require the use those items, and his move-pool is limited to four moves. There is no other creative way to use him successfully, except maybe a Dragon Tail/scouting set, but he's too frail for that, and Blastoise fills that role much better. His Attack is already average, and his Special Attack is barely even mediocre.
    Last edited by Soperman; 4th June 2012 at 5:32 AM.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Aah Flygon, one of my favourites. He hasn't got the bulk to survive multiple hits so needs to hit hard and fast. Despite this, he can hit hard wit great Stabs and all round good coverage.

All out Attack
    Flygon@Choice Band
    +Speed -SpAtt

-Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    -U-Turn

Earthquake hits hard with Stab and hits Steels and Fires. Dragon Claw is decent as well and is all round reliable, although if your up against another dragon you may need to switch. Outrage is much more powerful and works well with Choice Band to hit hard before being switched out. Stone Edge is great but the low accuracy and PP may be problematic. For that reason, you can substitute it for rock slide which has less base power but more accuracy, chance to flinch and PP. U-turn is good for scouting and getting Flygon out of trouble and breaks sturdy and Focus Sashes.
    Last edited by HRRlion; 4th June 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Soon I'll have you, after years and years XD

Quick question - Does Dig + Flying Type or Levitate still make you immune to Earthquake or did they fix that in 5th Gen?

If so, Flygon could potentially use a Toxic + Substitute + Dig Stalling set as a gimmick...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast