Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 87

Thread: Community POTW #75

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Quick question - Does Dig + Flying Type or Levitate still make you immune to Earthquake or did they fix that in 5th Gen?

    If so, Flygon could potentially use a Toxic + Substitute + Dig Stalling set as a gimmick...
    Yes, flying types and pokemon with the abiltiy levitate can neutralize all ground type attacks ( exept sand attack ) and the fact that you are digging doesn't change that!

    Credit to iPokemon^


  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In the Dutch Mountains
    Posts
    8,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    Yes, flying types and pokemon with the abiltiy levitate can neutralize all ground type attacks ( exept sand attack ) and the fact that you are digging doesn't change that!
    Then we have a gimmick set to add:

    Gimmigon
    Item@Leftovers:
    Nature: Jolly
    Ev's: Speed, Attack, and whatever gets you good Substitutes in HP.
    - Toxic
    - Substitute
    - Dig
    - Protect
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Flygon in OU is hopeless. This POTW is probably going to be focused on UU so if any of you know much about UU... now is the time to speak your mind.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    110

    Default

    WHich would have more defence? Evolite Vibrava or Flygon?

    Credit to iPokemon^


  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In a cave. With a Sneasel :)
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    WHich would have more defence? Evolite Vibrava or Flygon?

    I think it's actually Flygon, but I'm not sure.


    Overview

    Flygon is a cool Pokémon, to say the least. Just a pity it's outclassed by Garchomp. It's got a reasonably good movepool. (not the best but it gets the job done.) With the massive power creep of Generation 5, Flygon actually went down a tier, where it can perform to it's fullest as a top threat in UU. With a solid 100/80/100 offences, it performs quite well as a choice abuser, while 80/80/80 defences isn't the worst out there.

    Abilities

    Levitate: is Flygon's only ability, and is what gives Flygon an niche over Garchomp. This ability gives you an immunity to the ever-present Ground type type attacks, as well as Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Overal, a cool ability.


    Choicegon.
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    U-turn
    Fire Punch

    Standard Physical Flygon. Unresisted sans Air Balloon Heatran. Outrage is powerful, just beware the confusion and inability to switch ( and change attack, but that doesn't matter because of your Choice item.) Earthquake is Earthquake : strong, reliable, and a brilliant STAB attack. U-turn is for scouting. Fire Punch gets rid of Ices that are without Ice Shard.

    Nice glasses, these!
    Nature: Modest/ Timid
    Item: Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
    Earth Power
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
    Hidden Power [Rock]/ Giga Drain

    Another Standard Choice, this set works like the previous set, just off Flygon's Sp.Atk instead. Draco Meteor is your Dragon STAB, just don't use it if you want to keep in for a long time. Earth Power is your secondary STAB, and hits many Pokémon for SE damage. Fire Blast is to dispose of Ice Types, while Flamethrower is there if you don't like Fire Blasts accuracy. Hidden Power [Rock] gives Pseudo EdgeQuake coverage, Giga Drain is there for recovery while still doing damage.
    Mixgon

    Nature: Naive/Hasty
    Item Life Orb
    EVs 128 Atk/ 128 Sp.Atk/ 252 Spe
    Earthquake
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast
    Rock Slide/Stone Edge

    A Mixed one this time. This set runs similarly to the others just being able to counter some of its previous counters. Earthquake is the best attack in the game. Draco Meteor is incredibly powerful. Fire Blast is powerful and gets rid of Ice types trying to kill you. Stone Edge gives you EdgeQuake coverage, while Rock Slide is there if you don't like the accuracy.

    Other Options
    - Dragon Claw can be used if you don't like Outrage's confusion.
    - Hone Claws can be used on a boosting set with Stone Edge on it but Flygon isn't bulky enough to take hits so it is quite risky.
    - Quick Attack could be used as it's Flygon's only priority move but it doesn't do much damage without Choice Band and Hone Claws.
    -Solarbeam can be used on Sunny Day Team

    Partners
    Ninetales can used if your in OU as he can boost Fire Blast's power and gives you 1 turn SolarBeam. A smash Passer can come in handy on any set.

    Checks and Counters
    Weavile and Mamoswine work exceptionally well. They also have Ice Shard to out speed the common Choice Scarf set. Bulky Waters can take a hit and strike back with Ice Beam. Speaking of ice type moves, any ice type attack will most likely OHKO him. If you want to KO a Flygon, use an Ice type move. Air Balloon Heatran isn't hurt much by anything you throw at it, just watch out if your Air Balloon popped. It can also strike back with a strong Hidden Power Ice.

    Opinion

    Flygon is a cool Pokémon. Again, pity it's outclassed by Garchomp.

    Prediction for next week

    Weavile.
    Last edited by SneaselFTW; 5th June 2012 at 8:02 PM.


    R.I.P The Crystalline Guard ~ Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fortuna, California
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    WHich would have more defence? Evolite Vibrava or Flygon?
    Vibrava with Evolite has 75/75 base in defenses, where as Flygon has 80/80 base in defenses. So to answer your question, Flygon does have higher defenses than Evolite Vibrava

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSalsafish View Post
    Vibrava with Evolite has 75/75 base in defenses, where as Flygon has 80/80 base in defenses. So to answer your question, Flygon does have higher defenses than Evolite Vibrava
    No Vibrava has 84/84 base defenses with Eviolite. Base stats multiply differently. Flygon probably takes hits better overall due to HP though and Vibrava's offenses are terrible.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Emo Cave
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    No Vibrava has 84/84 base defenses with Eviolite. Base stats multiply differently. Flygon probably takes hits better overall due to HP though and Vibrava's offenses are terrible.
    this, and you also lose the ability to use an item for 4 base defense and special defense

    Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    109

    Default

    special flygon is horrible guys...
    one set.
    Flygon @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band/Life Orb
    4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -U-Turn/Roost
    -Fire Punch
    Only for use in UU, in OU it is way too weak, frail, and outclassed in general. Outrage is main STAB, while earthquake makes for near flawless coverage in UU. U-Turn can scpout but roost could be used on a life orb set to recover HP. Fire punch hits bronzong and escavalier harder than any other moves. It also can help with ferroseed.
    Guns don't kill people. I kill people.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Pretty Good Staller
    Jolly
    252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd
    Leftovers

    Toxic
    Dig
    Fly
    Protect/Double Team

    Toxic is always good but now we get why Flygon can make a decent starter. Both Dig and Fly buy some time for Toxic to do its work. Plus you can't get hurt by EQ while using Dig because of Levitate. As for Fly you can get hit by Twister and Gust which are never used competitively. Thunder is common but blocked by your ground typing. Hurricane's somewhat common, yet still. Protect is there for more stalling power. Double Team however can't be used in almost all competitive situations but if it's like some random thing then by all means stall as mucha s possible.
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678


    Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

    Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    Comparing them to Flygon is like saying Gyarados and Milotic are the same, because they have the same general typing and move pools.
    Quick question...have you ever used a defensive gyarados before?

    Anyways, flygon's power in uu is almost unrivaled due to the offensive pace of the metagame, and the fact that it has the moveset to make quick work of dedicated walls and sweepers alike...mostly it boils down to either being a physical-band, physical-scarf, or mixed -scarf set...they're all darn good sets for different reasons...all in all tho, you're usually gonna see sets that have a dragon attack, earthquake, fire attack, and either u-turn/roost/auxilary dragon attack...that's all you have to look out for...so that means that you'll only need a little bit of prediction, and the right sort of team and you'll be ok...or you could just slap a scarf cryogonal on your team and call it a day

  12. #62

    Default

    What the **** U-turn should never be slashed. Ever. Flygon should be running Earthquake / Outrage / U-Turn / Filler no matter what set it's running (and don't give me **** about Specs sets, they clearly suck and even if they didn't they would still be better off using U-turn). It's one of the best damn moves in the game, and because of how easily Flygon can gain momentum by forcing switching then U-turning out, there's not reason not to use it. Especially in UU, which is so centralized on entry hazards.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windsong View Post
    What the **** U-turn should never be slashed. Ever. Flygon should be running Earthquake / Outrage / U-Turn / Filler no matter what set it's running (and don't give me **** about Specs sets, they clearly suck and even if they didn't they would still be better off using U-turn). It's one of the best damn moves in the game, and because of how easily Flygon can gain momentum by forcing switching then U-turning out, there's not reason not to use it. Especially in UU, which is so centralized on entry hazards.
    windsong is a bw uu aficionado

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windsong View Post
    What the **** U-turn should never be slashed. Ever. Flygon should be running Earthquake / Outrage / U-Turn / Filler no matter what set it's running (and don't give me **** about Specs sets, they clearly suck and even if they didn't they would still be better off using U-turn). It's one of the best damn moves in the game, and because of how easily Flygon can gain momentum by forcing switching then U-turning out, there's not reason not to use it. Especially in UU, which is so centralized on entry hazards.
    I will agree special flygon is very bad but U turn is not very good on LO sets in my opinion.
    Guns don't kill people. I kill people.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kicking some grass
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windsong View Post
    What the **** U-turn should never be slashed. Ever. Flygon should be running Earthquake / Outrage / U-Turn / Filler no matter what set it's running (and don't give me **** about Specs sets, they clearly suck and even if they didn't they would still be better off using U-turn). It's one of the best damn moves in the game, and because of how easily Flygon can gain momentum by forcing switching then U-turning out, there's not reason not to use it. Especially in UU, which is so centralized on entry hazards.
    Specs set shouldn't be considered ???????????! What are you on about. A special set swept my whole team in the last wifi tournament. This one was great.
    My personal nightmare.
    Levitate
    Timid
    Life orb
    -draco meteor/dragon pulse
    -earth power
    -flame thrower
    -giga drain
    Evs 252 speed, 252 sp att

    Sorry if this set has already been mentioned, but it seriously destroys foes. Plus U-turn has its difficulties. Namely stealth rock, spikes and other entry hazards. Flygon may u-turn, but you can lose the switch in with the hazards.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Plus U-turn has its difficulties. Namely stealth rock, spikes and other entry hazards. Flygon may u-turn, but you can lose the switch in with the hazards.
    I have to disagree a little for some reasons:
    Flygon is a low maintenance Pokémon in terms of entry hazards, weather and other similar things,
    1: Levitate gives Flygon a full immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes (there are exceptions)
    2: His Ground typing gives Flygon a Stealth Rock resistance
    3: Sandstorm helps him a lot and Sunny Day can help a set with Fire type moves (95% of all sets, I believe) and/or Solarbeam
    4: You should worry more about revenge killers, Ice Shard (and other Ice type moves, even Powder Snow kills Flygon) and his Dragon cousins (Salamence, Dragonite, Garchomp...) than the aforementioned entry hazards.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

  17. #67
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Partner/Team Options

    Alongside an Eviolite Volt Switch Magneton or Leftovers Volt Switch Magnezone, Flygon could operate well on a VoltTurn team. Steel covers the Dragon-type weakness and that horrid x4 Ice weakness. Lefties would heal Magnezone of any SR damage, whereas Magneton can sponge hits and get out faster than the 'Zone. It could go with this moveset:

    252 Atk/Spe / 4 HP
    -U-turn
    -Screech
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Tail

    U-Turn is the main move for any VoltSwitch team, Screech is there to act as a pseudo hazer. If the opponent stays in, they get a nasty hit from any of Flygon's other moves. If they do switch out after Screech and they're Ice-type, they'll not like being forced back by Dragon Tail. If EQ is used and they resist/are immune, Flygon can retreat with U-Turn to Magneton/Zone.
    Wonder Breeding Garden form Vivillon

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    That way
    Posts
    6,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Specs set shouldn't be considered ???????????! What are you on about. A special set swept my whole team in the last wifi tournament. This one was great.
    My personal nightmare.
    Levitate
    Timid
    Life orb
    -draco meteor/dragon pulse
    -earth power
    -flame thrower
    -giga drain
    Evs 252 speed, 252 sp att

    Sorry if this set has already been mentioned, but it seriously destroys foes. Plus U-turn has its difficulties. Namely stealth rock, spikes and other entry hazards. Flygon may u-turn, but you can lose the switch in with the hazards.
    Lol with U-turn's difficulties, anyway you could add Fire Blast to replace flamethrower, but specs is outclassed by Hydreigon

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Specs set shouldn't be considered ???????????! What are you on about. A special set swept my whole team in the last wifi tournament. This one was great.
    My personal nightmare.
    Levitate
    Timid
    Life orb
    -draco meteor/dragon pulse
    -earth power
    -flame thrower
    -giga drain
    Evs 252 speed, 252 sp att

    Sorry if this set has already been mentioned, but it seriously destroys foes. Plus U-turn has its difficulties. Namely stealth rock, spikes and other entry hazards. Flygon may u-turn, but you can lose the switch in with the hazards.
    If it swept YOUR team it don't mean it good... every team have it's weaknesses it is used for surprise factor..

    anyway flygon is good only for 3 things Life Orb choice band and choice scarf and all of them with the same set:
    EQ outrage Fire Punch U turn.

    That's for UU in OU you actually should use fire blast against skarmory but in UU there is no reason to use mixed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kicking some grass
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    If it swept YOUR team it don't mean it good... every team have it's weaknesses it is used for surprise factor..

    anyway flygon is good only for 3 things Life Orb choice band and choice scarf and all of them with the same set:
    EQ outrage Fire Punch U turn.

    That's for UU in OU you actually should use fire blast against skarmory but in UU there is no reason to use mixed.
    It took down tyranitar , garchomp, excadrill and landorus. All in sandstorm. Partners include skarmory, ferrothorn and forretress, as they resist ice and can hurt with steel moves. Mainly seen in sandstorm, try its special set with tyranitar, garchomp, ect. Try a rapid spinner, to remove entry hazards for switching in pokemon, because that is its main fall down with u-turn. Heatran doesn't mind it, and also try in sun, as fire punch(or any fire move flygon learns) gets a boost, and also hits ice types harder.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    It took down tyranitar , garchomp, excadrill and landorus. All in sandstorm. Partners include skarmory, ferrothorn and forretress, as they resist ice and can hurt with steel moves. Mainly seen in sandstorm, try its special set with tyranitar, garchomp, ect. Try a rapid spinner, to remove entry hazards for switching in pokemon, because that is its main fall down with u-turn. Heatran doesn't mind it, and also try in sun, as fire punch(or any fire move flygon learns) gets a boost, and also hits ice types harder.
    flygon could care less against entry hazards... really.......... it resist stealth rock and immune to the rest! stop mentioning it like you mentioned trick room lucario..
    that's cause your team is offesive.. any defensive pokemon can stop a base 80 specs..
    and outspeeding flygon nah you probably tried boosting in front of it or something that you lost against something don't make it any good...

    and flygon need sun support since when? it only spams EQ and outrage anyway ire punch is only against certain threats.. like the bug/steels ferrothorn and flying steels.
    Just for reference neutral Outrage is stronger by 30 BP than SE fire punch that's why you use i only against steels that are neutral or immune to EQ. which are all I mentioned actually.

    I wonder if Blue Harvest even read it as every time I see the smogon sets then gimmick sets and then bad sets....

    IDK why people post bad sets if they know they are bad...
    Last edited by Ilan; 7th June 2012 at 1:13 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  22. #72

    Default

    The closest thing Flygon should ever get to a special set is running Fire Blast over Fire Punch. It has its uses, mainly hitting physically defensive Bronzong (the most common kind) for more damage, and I guess the occasional Tangrowth. If you need a Dragon-type Specs user, just use Kingdra. And if you miss the extra SE coverage, use Nidoking.

    And Flygon is one of the most hazard-resistant Pokemon in existance. Just saiyan.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Specs set shouldn't be considered ???????????! What are you on about. A special set swept my whole team in the last wifi tournament. This one was great.
    My personal nightmare.
    Levitate
    Timid
    Life orb
    -draco meteor/dragon pulse
    -earth power
    -flame thrower
    -giga drain
    Evs 252 speed, 252 sp att

    Sorry if this set has already been mentioned, but it seriously destroys foes. Plus U-turn has its difficulties. Namely stealth rock, spikes and other entry hazards. Flygon may u-turn, but you can lose the switch in with the hazards.
    losing to flygon is f*cking pathetic
    Guns don't kill people. I kill people.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kicking some grass
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    flygon could care less against entry hazards... really.......... it resist stealth rock and immune to the rest! stop mentioning it like you mentioned trick room lucario..
    that's cause your team is offesive.. any defensive pokemon can stop a base 80 specs..
    and outspeeding flygon nah you probably tried boosting in front of it or something that you lost against something don't make it any good...

    and flygon need sun support since when? it only spams EQ and outrage anyway ire punch is only against certain threats.. like the bug/steels ferrothorn and flying steels.
    Just for reference neutral Outrage is stronger by 30 BP than SE fire punch that's why you use i only against steels that are neutral or immune to EQ. which are all I mentioned actually.

    I wonder if Blue Harvest even read it as every time I see the smogon sets then gimmick sets and then bad sets....

    IDK why people post bad sets if they know they are bad...
    Sun was a suggestion. Entry hazards are for the pokemon that switches from u-turn. Counters. (UU)frosslass out speeds it then destroys with ice beam. Another way is switching in a bulky pokemon when it outrages. Try bronzong, as it resists a lot of outrages power, and then can destroy it. Suicune does well with strong defences and access to ice beam. Swampert can use ice punch or avalanche to destroy it.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Sun was a suggestion. Entry hazards are for the pokemon that switches from u-turn. Counters. (UU)frosslass out speeds it then destroys with ice beam. Another way is switching in a bulky pokemon when it outrages. Try bronzong, as it resists a lot of outrages power, and then can destroy it. Suicune does well with strong defences and access to ice beam. Swampert can use ice punch or avalanche to destroy it.
    What is so hard to understand Flygon really don't care about hazards and sun... is only for 1 move which isn't even STAB.

    Frosslass isn't a check it is 0HKO from scarf outrage. (I am sure even without calculations). (after calculation scarf always 0HKO after stealth rock and if it is band then it is 0HKO anyway.. except 252/252 which it is a 2HKO but then it don't outspeed).
    About Suicune I need to use calculator (the famous crocune doesn't run ice beam) Flygon 3HKO suicune with Outrage and have a chance to 2HKO without it is a decent opponent but.. it have a chance to fail countering CB flygon.
    252 Atk Choice Band Flygon (+Atk) Outrage vs 252 HP/252 Def Suicune (+Def) : 43.81% - 51.49% (2-3 hits to KO) (w\ stealth rock)

    Oh and maybe you are right flygon needs hazard support .. on the other side.

    Suicune also 3-4 HKO flygon with scald so.. you need to beware.
    Last edited by Ilan; 8th June 2012 at 12:25 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •