Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

Default MALARIA is my second worry

Im in New Jersey... Im just worried to breathe in an STD!

But I will look into the Malaria outbreak

Americans continue their bombardment of Germany using 70-year old bombs.

An American World War II bomb left a huge crater in a pedestrian zone and two houses seriously damaged – but no-one injured – after experts conducted a controlled explosion on Monday night in western Germany.
    On #spp and #spp-wifi as: Revan, Aegislash
    FC: 2621-2733-0166
    IGN: Lautrec

The hell?! They're STILL finding these bombs?! I swear, this is one of the most common things coming out of Germany and the like, ever since that story of a boy finding an old, but still live, hand grenade during an Easter egg hunt! Bet you anything if you were to go treasure hunting for old WWII bombs and grenades, you'd have a field day! Don't know if they're of any worth, though, but who cares, you find history while poking Death in the face with a big stick. Such thrills!

But wow, just... I'm too dumb-founded right now. How these things have gone unaccounted for baffles me, but it's still freakin' amazing these haven't gone off sooner. Buildings were just built around and on top of these things, and no one has noticed!
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    Malaria outbreak in the USA, scary stuff.

Epicenter is Texas, but cases have been found in every state on the continental US.

118 deaths, 2600 cases, and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) predicts it will worsen.
    I think you got this news from quite a few years ago...
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

Another example of exemplary police work and common sense. http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/tex...html?hpt=hp_t3

If you can't tell I'm being sarcastic, I just have one thing to say: ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Shortman View Post
    Another example of exemplary police work and common sense. http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/tex...html?hpt=hp_t3

It's horrible that they shot him and it makes me sort of glad that police in my country don't carry guns, but the title of that article made me laugh.

I'm rather neutral about this whole thing since they mentioned his disability (as an amputee and schizophrenic), but as the guy was not cooperating, threatened the officers, and even made a move on them while brandishing a pen as a weapon (he was trying to stab the officer), they had to shoot him. Police officers are trained to shoot to kill, but they'll only use guns as a last resort. They must've had no other choice but to stop the man (I didn't see anything about tasering him, so I don't know if they had the tasers on them or not). Of course, this might not've been a big issue had the officer who was cornered shot the man, so I think the only reason people are in a fuss over this is the man's companion, who wasn't cornered though he feared for his partner's and his own safety, shot the amputee.

I'm sure there's something missing in this story, but what's done is done. This man, Claunch, was being a danger to other people if not to himself. There was a reason someone working there called the police, so people are probably feeling guilty about what happened, but it may have been for the best. We don't know, so if charges will be pressed, so be it. I'm sure there's enough evidence that shows they didn't have a choice but to shoot, I'm just going by what I read and what my own grandfather has told me about officer guidelines (being a retired law enforcer himself).
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I'm rather neutral about this whole thing since they mentioned his disability (as an amputee and schizophrenic), but as the guy was not cooperating, threatened the officers, and even made a move on them while brandishing a pen as a weapon (he was trying to stab the officer), they had to shoot him.
    I still don't believe it was necessary to shoot the amputee. Simple communication would have let the officer's partner know that the "weapon" the guy had was a pen. Was the trapped officer really in danger of losing his life because a schizophrenic was threatening him with a pen? It would seem obvious that police or anyone else should retaliate with deadly force if the threat is equal, which it was obviously not. People can't take back decisions that involve taking the life of a person or other specimen, which is why it is important to evaluate the situation using common sense.

Police officers are trained to shoot to kill, but they'll only use guns as a last resort.
    They should, but that all depends on the officer's judgement.

I'm sure there's something missing in this story, but what's done is done. This man, Claunch, was being a danger to other people if not to himself. There was a reason someone working there called the police
    People overreact all the time and call the police for any trivial matters. Here's a quote from the article: "A Houston police officer fatally shot in the head a schizophrenic, wheelchair-bound double amputee threatening people with a pen at a group home for the mentally ill..." This would indicate that there would most likely be sedatives laying around somewhere in this place, which they could have used to sedate the man rather than call the police after he started getting angry over not getting a cigarette and a soda.

I'm sure there's enough evidence that shows they didn't have a choice but to shoot,
    I already stated above my response to this argument. However, I will make what I meant by "communication" clearer. The trapped officer could have told his partner that the object the amputee was wielding was just a pen, unless he didn't see it. Either way, even if it was a knife, it would seem difficult to believe that a trained officer is unable to defend himself from someone in a wheelchair wielding a knife. The officer could have kicked or pushed the wheelchair back to escape from the corner as well.

I'm just going by what I read and what my own grandfather has told me about officer guidelines (being a retired law enforcer himself).
    Fair enough, I am just offering my own opinions. ;)

I still don't believe it was necessary to shoot the amputee. Simple communication would have let the officer's partner know that the "weapon" the guy had was a pen. Was the trapped officer really in danger of losing his life because a schizophrenic was threatening him with a pen? It would seem obvious that police or anyone else should retaliate with deadly force if the threat is equal, which it was obviously not. People can't take back decisions that involve taking the life of a person or other specimen, which is why it is important to evaluate the situation using common sense.
    You never really know. Far as I know, schizophrenics can be really dangerous when it comes to these kinds of events because they can't tell between reality from their own delusions. And a pen can be pretty deadly if used correctly. As the man was in a wheelchair, he probably couldn't have done a lot of damage that was fatal, but with the adrenaline rushing through him, he could've been able to really hurt someone.

And I'm pretty sure they all knew he had a pen on hand if he was waving it around.

They should, but that all depends on the officer's judgement.
    Right.

People overreact all the time and call the police for any trivial matters. Here's a quote from the article: "A Houston police officer fatally shot in the head a schizophrenic, wheelchair-bound double amputee threatening people with a pen at a group home for the mentally ill..." This would indicate that there would most likely be sedatives laying around somewhere in this place, which they could have used to sedate the man rather than call the police after he started getting angry over not getting a cigarette and a soda.
    Maybe they couldn't get him sedated. He was on a rampage, and I suppose there's a protocol that states that they can call the police only after a certain period of time or something.

I already stated above my response to this argument. However, I will make what I meant by "communication" clearer. The trapped officer could have told his partner that the object the amputee was wielding was just a pen, unless he didn't see it. Either way, even if it was a knife, it would seem difficult to believe that a trained officer is unable to defend himself from someone in a wheelchair wielding a knife. The officer could have kicked or pushed the wheelchair back to escape from the corner as well.
    We don't know the status of the officer who was trapped, if he was new on the job, or if he was too cornered to do anything without risk of getting an injury. The guy kept swinging it around. Now according to the article, the officer who shot Claunch is on administrative leave, so perhaps what he did was outside of protocol, who knows what the reason is. The police officers are trained in dealing with the mentally disturbed, but the department hasn't released information if the officer had received that training or not. Either way, what's done is done. It's a tragedy, but that's all it is at the end of the day.

And your opinions are dutifully noted, it was a pleasure reading them.
    I survived Pupa.

I can't say I disagree with your above responses to my last post, Kutie Pie. :P Especially this one:
    Either way, what's done is done. It's a tragedy, but that's all it is at the end of the day.
    If there wasn't so much to speculate about and we knew exactly what happened, we could probably come to a sensible opinion on what would have been the proper actions of the officers to take. I definitely understand why you don't blame the officer for doing what he did, and I am not completely grilling him for his actions either.

And your opinions are dutifully noted, it was a pleasure reading them.
    Thank you, I enjoyed reading your input too!

EU Working Group Produces The Stupidest Set Of Proposed Internet Rules In The Entire History Of The Human Race
    An EU working group that's been charged with coming up with recommendations for a terrorist-free European Internet has been brainstorming the stupidest goddamned ideas you've ever read, which are now widely visible, thanks to a leaked memo.
    I lol'd so much.

So... it's like SOPA but taken a step higher?

I'm not entirely sure if I understand this correctly. Are these supposed to be like security rules or something? It mentions terrorists, so these are rules that are meant to keep the terrorists at bay, even though it would affect the citizens as well? I mean, it says it's just for "European Internet", but would this have also affected other Internets? Because if not, then Al Qaeda would still fully function with their Internets in the 'Stans, though if they want to reach their brethren in Europe, they'd have to use different measures.

I don't get it. I can see where the stupidity lies, but it just doesn't make sense.
    I survived Pupa.

More Copyright news... AT&T, Verizon along with other isp's are joining a new program.

From the original article by Eric Engleman:

AT&T Inc. (T), Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Comcast Corp. (CMCSA) are among Internet-service providers that will take a more active role in fighting online piracy under a program due to start within the next two months.

The service providers, which also include Time Warner Cable (TWC) and Cablevision Systems Corp. (CVC), will send as many as six electronic alerts to customers whose accounts show signs of being used to download or distribute illegal music, movies or television shows over peer-to peer networks.

Customers who receive repeated alerts may have their Internet speed temporarily reduced or be required to review educational materials about copyright. The measures don’t include terminating a customer’s account, said Jill Lesser, executive director of the Center for Copyright Information, a Washington-based group that’s coordinating the effort.

“If this is successful it really reduces the need to have government involvement in these issues,” Lesser said in an interview. “These voluntary efforts allow us to be far more nimble and customer-focused than broad legislation.”
    more information about this under link

Disclaimer: from bloomberg.com

Looks like they're still trying to find a way to get things done, with or without SOPA.

Also, just looked up the Center for Copyright Information... and found out some more about the new program.

more about said program

Disclaimer: from copyrightinfomation.org
    Last edited by WishIhadaManafi5; 18th October 2012 at 9:09 PM.
    Looking forward to the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Will be training up the shiny Abra I have that's named Robin in honor of you. May you R.I.P.

I remember reading that. I think their story is complete BS. Cornered by a double amputee with a pen? Yeah that's real believable. He must not been in that much danger if his partner had time to line up a head shot. I don't know about Houston PD but the army has never taught me to go for head shots. Not even snipers do that. Headshots are for when you have nothing else to shoot at. I'm willing to bet HPD teaches their officers to shoot center mass too. HPD probably carries a 9mm or .40 S&W and those will penetrate through a wheel chair. Someone metioned they may not have had tazers. Houston is major city, so it's guaranteed that every cop in the city has a tazer on their belt.

I'm not a cop basher but I do believe in holding people accountable for their actions. Their story sounds like crap and I hope the jury doesn't buy it either.

Quote Originally Posted by WishIhadaManafi5 View Post
    More Copyright news... AT&T, Verizon along with other isp's are joining a new program. <snip>
    Isn't that program exactly the same as one that's already in place or was to be adopted sometime in Summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Covert Cactus View Post
    I remember reading that. I think their story is complete BS. Cornered by a double amputee with a pen? Yeah that's real believable. He must not been in that much danger if his partner had time to line up a head shot. I don't know about Houston PD but the army has never taught me to go for head shots. Not even snipers do that. Headshots are for when you have nothing else to shoot at. I'm willing to bet HPD teaches their officers to shoot center mass too. HPD probably carries a 9mm or .40 S&W and those will penetrate through a wheel chair. Someone metioned they may not have had tazers. Houston is major city, so it's guaranteed that every cop in the city has a tazer on their belt.

I'm not a cop basher but I do believe in holding people accountable for their actions. Their story sounds like crap and I hope the jury doesn't buy it either.
    I'm not even sure he's all that well-trained. I'd question his sanity, but let's... not bother with that route. Pens, as far as I know, scarcely count as deadly weapons, unless they've been artificially sharpened, and how would he know about that? Also, especially since this doesn't look like an electric wheelchair going by the picture in the article, "cornered" by him? (Also, the preferred target is usually the center of mass, right? Even for a double-amputee in a wheelchair, I'm fairly sure the head is not the center of mass.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Default For anyone in the US selling used items

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwVNcMqUM8w

US Supreme Court ruling could put eBay, Amazon and Craigslist out of business, stop US citizens selling goods online and in shops/yard sales and stop UK and foreign anime fans and anyone wishing to import from importing DVDs and other goods

http://articles.marke****ch.com/2012...onsumer-groups

http://ownershiprights.org/whats-at-stake#.UIjQfcVG8fh

Also DemandProgress are planning a protest similar to the Anti SOPA protest earlier this year

http://www.youvebeenowned.org/#alarm

Thats my government! Despotism here we come!
    Last edited by OldManJenkins; 25th October 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    Thats my government!
    Same here. The Judicial Branch is still going to need some...... BACKUP!!!

My Pokémon Omega Ruby Team:

[Raven] : [Neptune] : [Simba] : [Dubai] : [Zelda] : [Brutus]
    3DS Friend Code:
    2938-8044-3384

Hoping it won't pass....wow!! Very good thread thanks for this topic
    Pokemon Black 2 Team

Pokemon White Team

I'm not much of an online shopper but that's just not fair. A lot of people go on those websites to get bargains and save money.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

So in other words, they're trying to ban yard sales. Doesn't our government have anything better to do, like, say, I don't know, FIXING THE ECONOMY?
    3DS FC: 0302-0291-6804

Move along, nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by pookachu View Post
    stop [...] anyone wishing to import from importing DVDs and other goods
    I love the US government, trying to fight piracy out one asscheek while doing this, which probably would lead to a significant tide thereof, out the other. There is also no reason why this makes any sense. Sale involves transferal of ownership.

And besides, what are they going to do about yard sales? Station officers at every block to make sure nobody is selling something they "own"?

Furthermore, I imagine this will lead to a scenario similar to prohibition. Where there's a will, there's a way, and for some cases, if it involves bullets, so be it.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

US Supreme Court ruling could put eBay, Amazon and Craigslist out of business, stop US citizens selling goods online and in shops/yard sales and stop UK and foreign anime fans and anyone wishing to import from importing DVDs and other goods
    That's a really dumb idea. Not only would this be a major inconvenience to many Americans, it would also cause many companies to outsource their manufacturing plants because then they can control the resale of their products.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwVNcMqUM8w

http://articles.marke****ch.com/2012...onsumer-groups

http://ownershiprights.org/whats-at-stake#.UIjQfcVG8fh

Also DemandProgress are planning a protest similar to the Anti SOPA protest earlier this year

http://www.youvebeenowned.org/#alarm
    no! next little girls will have to get a permit for selling lemonade O.o why?! why is it the governments business?

still in the process of plotting out team. want it to be unique and amazing. gardevoir will be included even if she's over used xD and mighteyena cuz they r awesomazing.

send me a friend request please ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by BearTown View Post
    no! next little girls will have to get a permit for selling lemonade O.o why?! why is it the governments business?
    Didn't a girl get her stand shut down by police awhile ago for that same reason?

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast