Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

http://readersupportednews.org/news-...wtown-funerals

A little background,

Westboro Baptist Church is known for picketing funerals of deceased members of the military (fighting for a doomed country is a "sin", deceased homosexuals (God hates "fags"), pretty much deceased anyone. They are a radical group of the Baptist religion that believe America is a doomed nation, because we allow abortions and allow gays to marry (even if the marriage is not technically recognized). They believe that the shooter that killed the children in Newtown was sent by God.
    And they plan to pay visits to Newtown to "celebrate" the deaths of the children and adults killed in the massacre, saying it was an act of God's judgement.

I can't tell who has the more messed up head. These people, or the shooter himself.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyshortcake View Post

A little background,

Westboro Baptist Church is known for picketing funerals of deceased members of the military (fighting for a doomed country is a "sin", deceased homosexuals (God hates "fags"), pretty much deceased anyone. They are a radical group of the Baptist religion that believe America is a doomed nation, because we allow abortions and allow gays to marry (even if the marriage is not technically recognized). They believe that the shooter that killed the children in Newtown was sent by God.
    And they plan to pay visits to Newtown to "celebrate" the deaths of the children and adults killed in the massacre, saying it was an act of God's judgement.

I can't tell who has the more messed up head. These people, or the shooter himself.
    i would say this radical group is worse than shoot cuz the shooter could've gone insane as he killed, while these people are technically mentally healthy; they're just insane on a moral level
    Last edited by flamebeam; 19th December 2012 at 9:54 PM.

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

A little background,

Yet another piece of bad news to add to my day. Marvellous.

These fanatics don't deserve to just die. They deserve to be locked up in prisons away from all traces from civilisation in Antartica without central heating and be forced to live the rest of eternity in isolation, dwelling on their unforgivable actions.

A little background,

I may not support gay marriage in any way, shape, or form, but as a person I know better than to do crap like that. A funeral is a funeral no matter who the person was. The fact they hide behind the first amendment (because they found a loophole) makes it worse. The more I hear about this corrupt church, the more it makes me angry and sad that we have such activity in this country. Because heaven knows the Westboro Baptist Church wouldn't have been tolerated, let alone survived outside of America.

And even though I'm a religious person, I don't know why the horrible event had to happen. I believe God has people go through personal trials (either to teach them a lesson, or to test their character), and that everyone has a purpose in life, but then there are moments like the shooting that makes it harder to decide if God had a hand in it or not. Everyone can have a different opinion on the manner, but it's how they act before everyone that determines if they're right or wrong--and even then everyone sees such actions differently.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 19th December 2012 at 8:47 PM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    And even though I'm a religious person, I don't know why the horrible event had to happen. I believe God has people go through personal trials (either to teach them a lesson, or to test their character), and that everyone has a purpose in life, but then there are moments like the shooting that makes it harder to decide if God had a hand in it or not. Everyone can have a different opinion on the manner, but it's how they act before everyone that determines if they're right or wrong--and even then everyone sees such actions differently.
    That brings us to people saying "where was God when this happened, why didn't he do anything.?". Not just about this, but anything bad that happens. We all have to remember that we are born with our free will, given to us by him, and what we do with it is our choice. If any of you have ever seen the movie Bruce Almighty, it does a great job illustrating this.

The Baptist church has the same God as the Catholic religion, but they seem him differently. They see him as a judging, hateful, condemning figure; while the Catholic church sees him more as a forgiving Father type. The harsher the God, the harsher the man.

A little background,

Aren't they the same people who protested against gay marriage at Matthew Shepherd (the homosexual teen who was beat and tied to a fence on which he was found dead)'s funeral? There were people dressed as angels with wings to block those attending the funeral from seeing the church protesters there. They're just messed up in the brain...

A little background,

I love the hypocrisy of the Westboro church, they call America a doomed nation yet they still live in this country and exploit its loopholes. When I heard this news, given that I live 20 minutes away I was very tempted to go out to counter protest; truly a despicable thing to do at a time like this for these families.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Aren't they the same people who protested against gay marriage at Matthew Shepherd (the homosexual teen who was beat and tied to a fence on which he was found dead)'s funeral? There were people dressed as angels with wings to block those attending the funeral from seeing the church protesters there. They're just messed up in the brain...
    Yeah, they picket everyone. They even picketed productions of The Laramie Project which is a play based on Matthew Shepherd's murder, they picketed Michael Jackson's funeral, they protested at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.. they literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars flying around the country to picket funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    Yeah, they picket everyone. They even picketed productions of The Laramie Project which is a play based on Matthew Shepherd's murder, they picketed Michael Jackson's funeral, they protested at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.. they literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars flying around the country to picket funerals.
    My question is how do they have the time/funds to do it? People with passion and conviction (no matter how stupid) always find ways to impose their beliefs on others but this is too far. One's first amendment right should not be abused like this. And what do they have against the Holocaust Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    My question is how do they have the time/funds to do it? People with passion and conviction (no matter how stupid) always find ways to impose their beliefs on others but this is too far. One's first amendment right should not be abused like this.
    It's funded entirely through the congregation/family. A lot of people get angry when they're protesting and act out in anger which results in the church suing them for assault.

And what do they have against the Holocaust Museum?
    They literally hate everyone.

A little background,

O the land of the free, and the home of the brave.
    what is the world coming to?
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

What's Under YOUR Bed?

FC: 2466-2305-3359
    IGN: Jayrad

Saudi Arabia: Islamic cleric rapes, tortures, kills daughter, pays fine

In Saudi Arabia an Islamic cleric who admits to raping, torturing and killing his daughter received a fine but no jail time for his heinous crime. Saudi media reports that the father paid 200,000 riyals ($50,000 US) in “blood money” for his crime, but will not be required to serve any time in prison.

In response to the heinous crime, and lack of justice for five-year old victim Lama al-Ghamdi, the women's rights activist Manal al-Sharif and others issued a press release on Feb 2, and launched a Twitter campaign using the hashtags "#AnaLama" (Arabic for "I am Lama") and #IamLama, demanding legislation criminalizing violence against women and children.

Fayhan al-Ghamdi, the victims father and a popular Islamic preacher who has made numerous television appearances promoting Islam, confessed to the heinous crime. Ghamdi told Saudi officials he used cables and a cane on his five-year-old daughter, leaving her with multiple injuries, including a crushed skull, broken ribs and left arm, extensive bruising and burns. In addition, one of Lama’s fingernails had been torn off. Hospital staff reports the child’s rectum had been torn open and the abuser had attempted to burn it closed.

Reports indicate the father had doubted his five-year old daughter's virginity.

Lama al-Ghamdi died last October. The amount her father was fined for the brutal rape, torture and murder, would have been doubled if Lama had been male. In Saudi Arabia, Islamic law is interpreted to be that a father cannot be executed for murdering his children, nor can husbands be executed for murdering their wives.

Human rights activists point out that judicial leniency towards male abusers and murderers reflects the highly problematic nature of the male guardianship system in Saudi Arabia. Currently all women in Saudi Arabia are considered minors, and all are automatically assigned to the care and judgment of their most immediate male relative. This system of male guardianship gives the male relatives the power to sell girls legally into child marriages and to ban adult women from work, travel and obtaining medical operations.

I'm not surprised in the least. Try as they might, I doubt the mindsets of these barbarians will ever be swayed to fit the modern times. I'm not feminist in the least, though I feel very sorry for Arabic women, and the hell they have to go through over there.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

i knew that women had little rights in that region, but i didn't know it was so bad that women are essentially property. women are humans, too. they live just as long and have dreams, so they should be treated equally

Credit to Brutaka

Pope Benedict XVI to resign citing poor health

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month after nearly eight years as the head of the Catholic Church, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

The unexpected development - the first papal resignation in nearly 600 years - surprised governments, Vatican-watchers and even his closest aides.

The Vatican says it expects a new Pope to be elected before Easter.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope in 2005 after John Paul II's death.

The BBC's David Willey in Rome says the move has come as a shock - but adds that in theory there has never been anything stopping Pope Benedict or any of his predecessors from stepping aside.

Under the Catholic Church's governing code, Canon Law, the only conditions for the validity of such a resignation are that it be made freely and be properly published.

But resignation is extremely rare: the last Pope to step aside was Pope Gregory XII, who resigned in 1415 amid a schism within the Church.
    More information here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

I found out about Pope Benedict XVI's resignation at around 10:40pm AEDT last night. This is the first time it happened since Pope Gregory XII in 1415 (nearly 600 years). I followed this by listening to ABC NewsRadio after I went to bed last night.
    Indigohex is a retired fifty-three star surgeon-general who wishes that the Australian version of I Am A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here would get cancelled within less than a second of starting. The views reflected in the posts above and below this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Serebii.net, its owners or shareholders.

Indigohex: Serebii.net Forums' Voice

While I'm not Catholic, I find this very interesting. I know nothing about Pope Benedict except that he made religious history by being the first pope in almost 600 years to resign, but for health issues and not because of a social/religious issue. It's odd he decides to resign when the other popes kept their title to their death, but that's his choice. If he feels his body can't handle it much longer, so be it.

Now the more interesting thing about this is wondering who the new pope will be. It's possible we may have our first black pope, since there's a couple of contenders who are colored. Same with a South American pope. But who knows what'll happen. It's honestly none of my concern, but I have a Catholic friend, and chances are very, very high he's going to bring it up this weekend when I talk to him. I'm also curious about what my mom thinks of this, since she knows a lot about the Catholic church.
    I survived Pupa.

is it bad that I'm Catholic and this isn't a big deal for me? but didn't know that there's a possibility that the new pope• will be non-European ethnicity. it kinda supports the "all men are loved by God" thing

Credit to Brutaka

I found this interesting article from The Age here in Melbourne (http://www.theage.com.au/world/long-...212-2e9kg.html), and there are long odds for the Archbishop of Sydney Cardinal George Pell to become the next pope. But according to the article, Richard Dawkins is 666-1 to become the next pope and Bono is at 1000-1 to become the next pope.
    Indigohex is a retired fifty-three star surgeon-general who wishes that the Australian version of I Am A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here would get cancelled within less than a second of starting. The views reflected in the posts above and below this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Serebii.net, its owners or shareholders.

Indigohex: Serebii.net Forums' Voice

i can't stand Cardinal Pell, there was an episode of Q&A with him and Richard Dawkins on it and he was being a totally insufferable ***. here's hoping the next pope is more liberal in his views on social issues, contraception, women in the church, etc. i think the church needs some progressive thinkers
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    i can't stand Cardinal Pell, there was an episode of Q&A with him and Richard Dawkins on it and he was being a totally insufferable ***. here's hoping the next pope is more liberal in his views on social issues, contraception, women in the church, etc. i think the church needs some progressive thinkers
    Preach it!

I've been disappointed a fair amount by some of the church's views on these issues. I'm interested to see what sort of discussions will come up while the search for the next pope is carried out.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    Preach it!

I've been disappointed a fair amount by some of the church's views on these issues. I'm interested to see what sort of discussions will come up while the search for the next pope is carried out.
    Honestly, I'm glad the popes and the church has been faithful to what they believe in and aren't afraid to speak out about it, and I think a lot of their members are proud of it. They're at least polite about what they say in their beliefs (far as I know, individuals are individuals after all) despite the persecution, and I admire them for that. I'm sure that if I wasn't a Mormon, I'd probably be Catholic since the beliefs are pretty similar.

Anyhoo, North Korea says it conducted new, more powerful nuclear test.

North Korea said Tuesday that it had conducted a new, more powerful underground nuclear test using more sophisticated technology, jolting the already fragile security situation in Northeast Asia and drawing condemnation from around the globe.

The test, conducted in the vicinity of P'unggye, yielded "several kilotons," according to assessments cited by the U.S. director of national intelligence.

It is the first nuclear test carried out under the North's young leader, Kim Jong Un, who appears to be sticking closely to his father's policy of building up the isolated state's military deterrent to keep its foes at bay, shrugging off the resulting international condemnation and sanctions.

The U.N. Security Council will meet in New York on Tuesday morning to discuss the development, a Security Council diplomat said, declining to be identified because of U.N. protocol on such matters.
    This is a very, very scary thought. Though I find it very interesting how China, North Korea's closest ally, opposes this a whole lot. I'm sensing some tension there. Perhaps this is the beginning of the fall of North Korea's tyranny?
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    This is a very, very scary thought. Though I find it very interesting how China, North Korea's closest ally, opposes this a whole lot. I'm sensing some tension there. Perhaps this is the beginning of the fall of North Korea's tyranny?
    that would be a great thing. there is so much tension in the world, and eliminating north korea's intimidating aggressiveness would definitely ease some of that. at this point, we can have a WW3 involving the U.S., U.K., France, Middle East, China, Russia, and the Koreas. I'm not saying this is something at all likely, but there definitely is tension amongst these nations

Credit to Brutaka

Meteorite makes contact with Russia

A heavy meteor shower rained down on central Russia on Friday, sowing panic as the hurtling space debris smashed windows and injured dozens of stunned locals, officials said.
    100 people have been hospitalized, the temperature in the area dropped to -18 degrees Celsius. It impacted in central russia near the Ural Mountains.

Source:http://www.indiatimes.com/news/asia/...red-61125.html

So I'm pretty sure this is the same meteor that was expected to miss Earth this week by 15 minutes. The one expected to have the potential to wipe out all of new york city if it hit there. No confirms of it yet, but if this hit a highly populated area instead of this part of Russia would you be scared?

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast