Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

I'm still surprised that they still cover the story. We get it CNN/NBC/Fox. Time to move on and find another story.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/01...ng-police-say/

You think your buddy is involved in a bombing and your first decision is to hide the evidence? Give them the same charges.
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

Let's talk about something that isn't at ad-nausea such as promising HIV treatment:

The scientists are currently conducting human trials on their treatment, in the hope of proving that it is effective. It has already been found to work in laboratory tests.

The technique involves unmasking the “reservoirs” formed by the HIV virus inside resting immune cells, bringing it to the surface of the cells. Once it comes to the surface, the body’s natural immune system may be able to kill the virus.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-HIV-cure.html

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Let's talk about something that isn't at ad-nausea such as promising HIV treatment:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-HIV-cure.html
    that's actually a serious breakthrough. one of the properties of the HIV virus that makes it hard to combat is its latency. in other words, it is really good at hiding itself in body cells when leukocytes (white blood cells) are looking for it. with this drug, the virus can be exposed and targeted for destruction. there's still the issue, however, of HIV having a high mutation rate due to reverse transcription, but hey, one step at a time
    Last edited by flamebeam; 2nd May 2013 at 10:35 PM.

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ntcmp=trending

Their identities have been a well-guarded secret, known only to their high-powered lawyers and a handful of House lawmakers and staff. But now Fox News has learned the names of the self-described Benghazi “whistleblowers” who are set to testify before a widely anticipated congressional hearing on Wednesday.
    Last edited by ChuckNorris; 4th May 2013 at 9:56 PM.
    Platinum FC: 3438 9213 7612
    White FC: 5372 3970 3594
    Black2 FC: 2280 4478 7008
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Homsar135

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    there's still the issue, however, of HIV having a high mutation rate due to reverse transcription, but hey, one step at a time
    Well, don't you think scientists may be ready for a probably mutation the virus may take? Survival is a natural instinct for every living thing so I'm speculating the scientists are ready for this.

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    Well, don't you think scientists may be ready for a probably mutation the virus may take? Survival is a natural instinct for every living thing so I'm speculating the scientists are ready for this.
    the HIV virus has a relatively very high rate of mutation. this and its latency makes it hard to combat, and the fact that it attacks your immune system makes it deadly. removing the virus's latency just makes it easier to find. it's still gonna mutate, and obviously the scientists know this, but it doesn't mean they can prevent it

Credit to Brutaka

Either way, even once HIV can be stopped, I personally expect another deadly disease to pop up that'll cause panics like how AIDS did in the 80s (though of course, "supposedly" people panicked when the swine flu came here, so I guess no one cares these days to panic over stuff like this). Disease is never going away, especially STDs, so while it's cool to hear of science marching on, it's not going to be satisfying enough within the next generation.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

this story is just horrible. no, it's worse than that, but I can't describe how sickening this is:

Boy, 12, arrested in killing of 8-year-old sister that he blamed on intruder

The 12-year-old brother of a California girl found stabbed to death in their home last month was arrested Saturday, authorities said.

Officials said at first that Fowler's brother told them he had found her body and described her killer as a tall man with long gray hair. The county coroner told KCRA that Fowler died of shock and hemorrhaging caused by multiple stab wounds.
    news like this really scares me. it's so difficult to believe that there can be so much evil at such a young age

Credit to Brutaka

That is really, really sad. I don't know if it was premeditated like the eight-year-old here in Arizona did back in 2008, but still, the fact he killed his own sister is not going to rest well on his shoulders for the rest of his life. I think he's too young to get the death penalty, but if he's charged as an adult, he could get it. Either way, his life is ruined because he couldn't take control of what was going on.

Poor girl. Condolences to the family.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    actually, this one isn't such a big deal. why can't the Mayans just build another piece of ancient architecture?/sarcasm

Credit to Brutaka

Welp, there goes history. Again. But at least it's not Machu Picchu. Hell would've broken lose.

I don't know, if the Egyptians are losing their pyramids, then it's obvious the Mayans are losing their pyramids. Only difference is the Egyptians still exist. But the guy, Awe, said it best, "These guys knew that this was an ancient structure. It's just bloody laziness."

Well-said, Awe.
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Welp, there goes history. Again. But at least it's not Machu Picchu. Hell would've broken lose.

I don't know, if the Egyptians are losing their pyramids, then it's obvious the Mayans are losing their pyramids. Only difference is the Egyptians still exist. But the guy, Awe, said it best, "These guys knew that this was an ancient structure. It's just bloody laziness."

Well-said, Awe.
    ...These two cultures have literally nothing to do with each other.

...These two cultures have literally nothing to do with each other.
    umm, her point was that they're both ancient civilizations being disrespected by today's society. it's called making a connection. the fact that she responded to your post with a supportive attitude should be met with appreciation, not opposition

Credit to Brutaka

umm, her point was that they're both ancient civilizations being disrespected by today's society. it's called making a connection. the fact that she responded to your post with a supportive attitude should be met with appreciation, not opposition
    Umm, my point was that just because one ancient civilization's history and culture being disrespected does not make it "obvious" that another, unrelated culture is going to be disrespected.

Just because someone responds to my post with appreciation does not mean I'm not allowed to oppose their viewpoint.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/16...ly-man-murder/

From hero to criminal in a few short months.
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

With a name like "Kai the Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker", can you really be surprised?

To be fair, he hasn't been proven guilty yet. He's just the main suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsman View Post

"cut his hair to altar his appearance" kinda smart since his face looks way too commonplace, but luckily authorities caught him.
    I mean just because he saved a woman doesn't mean he's all good. I'm just not surprised.

Is anyone watching this big *** ****ing tornado on the news in Oklahoma?
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Such as this?

Quote Originally Posted by NBC News
    A monster tornado packing winds as strong as 200 mph roared through the Oklahoma City suburbs Monday, pulverizing block after block of homes and demolishing the walls of an elementary school. At least 10 people were killed, the Oklahoma City medical examiner said.
    While it was very destructive (as to be expected from a large tornado), at least there were few very casualties. The last deadly tornado we had was an F5 in Joplin, Missouri on May 22, 2011, and it killed 158 people.

I shouldn't be one to say this since I live in an area that rarely gets tornadoes, but I kinda admire the people who live in the Plains and South and went through a lot of tornadoes in their lives. The fact that they choose to live in such hazardous places either means they're extremely stubborn people, or they're strong-willed to be able to start from scratch if they have to. Either way, I can just imagine an elderly person sitting on his porch, and he looks up and says, "Oh, is it that time of year again? Well, come along, dear, bring Monopoly to the storm cellar. We're gonna be in there awhile," and the two just calmly walk underground without looking back. If you ask me, that's kinda awesome.

But anyway, condolences to the families who lost loved ones in the storm.
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Such as this?

While it was very destructive (as to be expected from a large tornado), at least there were few very casualties. The last deadly tornado we had was an F5 in Joplin, Missouri on May 22, 2011, and it killed 158 people.

I shouldn't be one to say this since I live in an area that rarely gets tornadoes, but I kinda admire the people who live in the Plains and South and went through a lot of tornadoes in their lives. The fact that they choose to live in such hazardous places either means they're extremely stubborn people, or they're strong-willed to be able to start from scratch if they have to. Either way, I can just imagine an elderly person sitting on his porch, and he looks up and says, "Oh, is it that time of year again? Well, come along, dear, bring Monopoly to the storm cellar. We're gonna be in there awhile," and the two just calmly walk underground without looking back. If you ask me, that's kinda awesome.

But anyway, condolences to the families who lost loved ones in the storm.
    I kinda agree with this. I would never have the patience to tend to farmland and start from scratch if mother nature screwed up my land. but hey, somebody's gotta grow crops and help stimulate the economy. kudos to them

Credit to Brutaka

i kinda agree with this. I would never have the patience to tend to farmland and start from scratch if mother nature screwed up my land. But hey, somebody's gotta grow crops and help stimulate the economy. Kudos to them
    edit: at least 20 of the confirmed dead are children

Credit to Brutaka

edit: at least 20 of the confirmed dead are children
    Ah, but according to recent news, now it's down to at least 24 people, with eight being children.

The confirmed death toll from the Oklahoma medical examiner was lowered from an earlier figure of 51, illustrating the confusion as day broke over the shattered city of Moore. Authorities cautioned that the toll could change again.
    While it is surprising the death toll isn't as high as it could be, as sad as it is, it's a good thing it's not a high count (though the news could never seem to keep track of the coverage, and so the number was always sporadic from report to report). There's always that chance of it spiking again, possibly back to 51, but for now, let's hope it stays as low as it is. The destruction images are bad enough, we don't need a higher death toll.

The video of the tornado's touchdown has been uploaded to YouTube, and it's actually a really amazing sight as terrifying as it looks. It grew to its two-mile radius within minutes.
    I survived Pupa.

British soldier hacked to death in suspected Islamist attack

(Reuters) - A British soldier was hacked to death by two men shouting Islamic slogans in a south London street on Wednesday, in what the government said appeared to be a terrorist attack.

A dramatic clip filmed by an onlooker just minutes after the killing showed a man with hands covered in blood, brandishing a bloodied meat cleaver and a knife.
    I saw part of the video described above on the news this evening. It was bizarre and unsettling to say the least.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast