Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    holy f***ing s***, it's World War III, a.k.a. Nuclear War. well, it was nice knowing you all, but if anyone attacks New York City, well, it won't hit me directly, but I'll probably get radiation poisoning. best case scenario, I become a mutant and develop cool powers like the X-Men
    North Korea will most likely not carry out their threat, and even if they do, it will only end badly for them. The United States has said that they are fully prepared to protect against a North Korean nuke, and I believe this 100%. The aftermath of the failed nuke would only cause more anger towards North Korea, so they would be better off just making empty threats.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

i just wish all this international turmoil would disappear. i know there are other world problems like hunger and poverty, but none of these will ever get solved without worldwide cooperation

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

Pope Francis I: Argentina's Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio is new Catholic leader

VATICAN CITY - Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires was named leader of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics on Wednesday after being elected pope. He will be known as Pope Francis I.

The archbishop of Buenos Aires is the Argentine-born son of an Italian railway worker. Seen as a compassionate conservative, he reportedly came in second during the 2005 balloting that ultimately elected Benedict XVI.

The 76-year-old Jesuit prizes simplicity and humility and would encourage priests to do shoe-leather evangelization, his biographer says.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I saw it on the internet this morning (Australian time). And actually, he will be known as simply Francis not Francis I. He won't be known as Francis I until there is a Francis II (which may happen in the future). And also (for trivia buffs out there), he is the 264th Pope and not 266th the media is claiming, as Pope Benedict IX was elected three times as Pope. And in addition, Francis is the first non-European Pope since Pope Gregory III (who was born in Syria and was Pope from 731 to 741).
    Last edited by indigohex; 14th March 2013 at 3:59 AM.
    Indigohex is a retired fifty-three star surgeon-general who wishes that the Australian version of I Am A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here would get cancelled within less than a second of starting. The views reflected in the posts above and below this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Serebii.net, its owners or shareholders.

Indigohex: Serebii.net Forums' Voice

I just saw the guy's track record. It looks like his papacy is not going to be any different from Benedict's. Not that I'm surprised or anything, just pointing that out.
    On #spp and #spp-wifi as: Revan, Aegislash
    FC: 2621-2733-0166
    IGN: Lautrec

News for the Aussie forum members with a meeting of the Australian Labor Party taking place at 16:30 AEDT today. So we may have a new prime minister before dinner time tonight (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-2...crisis/4586250). It should also be noted that Julia Gillard (who is the current Prime Minister) announced this in Parliament just when Question Time began in the House of Representatives that there will be a meeting at 16:30 AEDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    Labor's internal divisions have reached crisis point, with party elder Simon Crean calling on Prime Minister Julia Gillard to spill all leadership positions, and demanding Kevin Rudd stand against her.

Mr Crean fronted reporters in Canberra this lunchtime, shortly after the Government withdrew its contentious media reform bills because they had failed to attract enough support in the House of Representatives.

The former leader, who has discussed opening up the leadership twice in the last two days with the Prime Minister, said he did not expect Ms Gillard to agree to the spill.

But he said that if she did not, he would be calling on other Caucus members to urge her to do so.

That would require a petition signed by more than one third of caucus, in this case 35 people, asking for a special meeting to decide the leadership.

And he said that in that case, former PM Mr Rudd would have "no option" but to run.

"I don't want any more games, I'm sick to death of it, it's about time he stood up and instead of having his camp leak things, actually have the courage of his conviction and his belief," he said.

Earlier, Mr Crean had urged those MPs agitating for a spill to "pull back" and stop destabilising the Government, saying disunity was killing the party.
    Last edited by indigohex; 21st March 2013 at 5:31 AM.
    Indigohex is a retired fifty-three star surgeon-general who wishes that the Australian version of I Am A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here would get cancelled within less than a second of starting. The views reflected in the posts above and below this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Serebii.net, its owners or shareholders.

Indigohex: Serebii.net Forums' Voice

North Korea threatens nuclear attack on US bases in Japan

The threat came one day after Pyongyang condemned the use of the nuclear-capable bombers in the drills as "unpardonable provocation".

The aircraft are based at Andersen Air Force base in the Pacific island of Guam and flew over South Korea as part of annual joint exercises, while missile-carrying attack submarines can operate out of Japanese ports.

"We cannot tolerate the US carrying out nuclear strike drills, setting us up as targets, and advertising them as strong warning messages," as spokesman for the North Korean military was quoted as saying by the state-run KCNA news agency.

"The US should not forget that the Andersen base ... as well as naval bases on Japan's main island and Okinawa are all within the range of our precision target assets," he said.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-in-Japan.html

That's the tenth "threat" this week right? I've lost count.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post

North Korea is redefining the meaning of ''attention *****''.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...Gates%2bCondom

k, so this is a thing. a pretty strange story on its face, but hopefully it will work out.
    white 1: under construction

white 2 FC: 4513 9737 5496

Best Korea: "April Fool's"

The White House on Monday denied provoking North Korea with unusual military maneuvers while playing down the seriousness of the Stalinist regime’s threats, saying in effect that Pyongyang has been all talk and no action.

Film critic Roger Ebert dead at 70

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
    The Pulitzer Prize-winning movie critic for the Chicago Sun-Times for more than 45 years and for more than three decades the co-host of one of the most powerful programs in television history (initially with the late Gene Siskel, the movie critic for the Chicago Tribune, and, following Siskel’s death in 1999, with his Sun-Times collogue Richard Roeper), Ebert died Thursday, according to a family friend.

He was 70 years old.

Even still, he kept writing and remained as active as he could be. He was planning to host the 15th annual Roger Ebert’s Film Festival later this month in his hometown of Champaign-Urbana.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hankka View Post
    North Korea is redefining the meaning of ''attention *****''.
    Sadly, this news was popping in my country for the past 2 weeks. But I got a bad feeling that my country might get involved in North Korea's affairs. Why do I think of this?

Well ... the Philiipines Military force had a momentary join in the war back in the 1960s as mere support, from what I learned in my history class. I hope that won't be our case.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I am saddened that this hasn't been brought up yet, considering this is a site run by someone from Great Britain. Then again, you young whippersnappers don't care about history and great people *grumble grumble*

Margaret Thatcher, Britain's first female PM, dead at 87

Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, a towering figure in postwar British and world politics and the only woman to become British prime minister, has died at the age of 87.

She suffered a stroke Monday, her spokeswoman said. A British government source said she died at the Ritz Hotel in London.

Thatcher's funeral will be at St. Paul's Cathedral, with full military honors, followed by a private cremation, the British prime minister's office announced.

Thatcher served from 1975 to 1990 as leader of the Conservative Party. She was called the "Iron Lady" for her personal and political toughness.
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I am saddened that this hasn't been brought up yet, considering this is a site run by someone from Great Britain. Then again, you young whippersnappers don't care about history and great people *grumble grumble*

Margaret Thatcher, Britain's first female PM, dead at 87
    I would have posted this earlier but I couldn't be arsed to log on.

The most disturbing result of this is, I find, the fact that some people can be so tactless so as to 'celebrate' Thatcher's death. Regardless of how divisive she was as a political figure, celebrating the death of a human (or at least a human who did nothing so incredibly heinous so as to warrant celebration) is incredibly tactless and holds no place in the minds of sane individuals. This is especially riling considering that I'm seeing most of this from my peers on facebook, clearly none of whom actually understand politics and have just latched onto some damp liberal ideology for self-righteous brownie points. But eh, RIP.

Sad to see Robert Ebert die though too.
    Running for the thrill of it

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    I would have posted this earlier but I couldn't be arsed to log on.

The most disturbing result of this is, I find, the fact that some people can be so tactless so as to 'celebrate' Thatcher's death. Regardless of how divisive she was as a political figure, celebrating the death of a human (or at least a human who did nothing so incredibly heinous so as to warrant celebration) is incredibly tactless and holds no place in the minds of sane individuals. This is especially riling considering that I'm seeing most of this from my peers on facebook, clearly none of whom actually understand politics and have just latched onto some damp liberal ideology for self-righteous brownie points. But eh, RIP.

Sad to see Robert Ebert die though too.
    So you wouldn't celebrate when George W. Bush dies? Damn I'm starting to think I'm the only one who will celebrate his death.
    Last edited by Zorocario; 8th April 2013 at 9:24 PM.

I think there's a - or at least should be a - clear difference between one's opinion of a person as a political figure and of them as a human.
    Running for the thrill of it

George W. Bush is NOTHING compared to the likes of Hitler, bin Laden, Stalin, and others in that category.

as for Thatcher, I don't really know who she is (I guess that makes me a whippersnapper), but I know they made a movie about her, and that she was the first woman to do something in Britain (apparently, being Prime minister). at the end of the day, someone's life was lost, so I offer my condolences

Credit to Brutaka

Let me huggle you for caring, Geekachu. *huggles*

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    The most disturbing result of this is, I find, the fact that some people can be so tactless so as to 'celebrate' Thatcher's death. Regardless of how divisive she was as a political figure, celebrating the death of a human (or at least a human who did nothing so incredibly heinous so as to warrant celebration) is incredibly tactless and holds no place in the minds of sane individuals. This is especially riling considering that I'm seeing most of this from my peers on facebook, clearly none of whom actually understand politics and have just latched onto some damp liberal ideology for self-righteous brownie points.
    I think there were some people who celebrated Reagan's death as well, even though he was admired for the most part. I think it's because the Conservative party isn't viewed positively in Europe much like over here (but maybe more-so negatively). The people who celebrate something like that are ungrateful/uninformed brats who obviously have no idea what she did for them directly and indirectly. We'd probably still be in the Cold War if it wasn't for her and Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    as for Thatcher, I don't really know who she is (I guess that makes me a whippersnapper), but I know they made a movie about her, and that she was the first woman to do something in Britain (apparently, being Prime minister).
    The movie doesn't shed a lot of light on who she is and what she did (most Hollywood films don't) so I wouldn't use that as reference. But I do suggest looking her up, learn a little something or two.
    I survived Pupa.

Celebrating anyone's death is kind of tasteless. I might vaguely understand it if she had died in power (I would not have approved or agreed, mind) because then the change from her leadership to not her leadership would have actually effected people, but... she died a harmless old woman. The only difference between her being alive and her being dead is a family in mourning. Like, if you suffered under her leadership and don't like the woman fine, but her being dead doesn't change any of that for you so what exactly are you celebrating?
    PASBL League Official

JOIN THE ASB!

Quote Originally Posted by Pterry
    "...well, you've got to learn to walk before you try to run, sir!"

"No!" Moist's fist thumped the table. "Never say that, Tolliver! Never! Run before you can walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing, Mr Groat!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterry
    This is not a game. Here and now, you are alive.

^She did effectively destroy a whole community (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKx3MUqzCcQ) and when Hillsborough struck she didn't give a damn, so yeah entirely tactless to celebrate her death. Roger Ebert, I'm saddened by his death because he and Paul Bearer are the 2 most un-needed deaths so far this year. To not celebrate her death would be akin to not celebrating Jimmy Saville's death. (I wasn't born but I am well-educated at times.)
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

any further arguments about margaret thatcher in this thread will be met with post deletion and/or infractions
    life is
    a game

Good call, there's a time and a place for everything and this is not the place.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

And, here. We. Go.

A North Korean missile launcher has moved into the firing position with rockets facing skyward, Kyodo reports, citing a Japan defense official.
    (sorry I couldn't find a better source)

I know EVERYBODY thinks Kim Jong Un or North Korea are all talk, and every comedian in the world is making fun of them, and you can find millions of memes about this, but should they actually do something, how is everyone going to react? WW3 if anything, I think all the jokes and memes are antagonizing North Korea to inevitably do something irrational

Credit to Brutaka

yes, north korea is definitely paying attention to the internet memes and it has absolutely nothing at all to do with other issues
    life is
    a game

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast