Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

The attacks that happened last night here in London caused one heck of a rumble. It doesn't seem to be dividing too many people (apart from the typical low-lives who think that England is getting "ruined") from what I am aware of, but it's causing a lot of people to find an excuse to be passively racist. I just hope we don't hear of another incident like this anytime soon and move on.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22842837

An ex-CIA employee has said he acted to "protect basic liberties for people around the world" in leaking details of US phone and internet surveillance.

Edward Snowden, 29, was revealed as the source of the leaks at his own request by the UK's Guardian newspaper.

Mr Snowden, who says he has fled to Hong Kong, said he had an "obligation to help free people from oppression".

It emerged last week that US agencies were gathering millions of phone records and monitoring internet data.

A spokesman for the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence said the case had been referred to the Department of Justice as a criminal matter.
    More info, and a video, in the link above.

Nothing will happen because of it. He ruined his life for no reason.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

The world's oldest man Jiroemon Kimura (who was also the last man who was born in the 19th Century) has died aged 116 (http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...-dies-aged-116). Technology also changed throughout his lifetime from the horseless carriage to the iPhone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Japan Today
    KYOTO —

The world’s oldest person and the oldest man ever to have lived has died of natural causes aged 116 years, media reported Wednesday.

Japan’s Jiroemon Kimura, who was born in 1897, died in hospital early Wednesday morning, Kyodo News cited the local government as saying.

Kimura, from Kyotango in Kyoto Prefecture, was recognized by Guinness World Records as the world’s oldest living person in December 2012 when a woman from the United States died at the age of 115.

On the 28th day of that month, he broke another record, when he became the oldest man ever verified to have lived when he reached the age of 115 years and 253 days.

However, he was well off the all-time record set by French woman Jeanne Calment, who died in 1997 at the age of 122, making her the longest living person in history.

Kimura, who was born the same year as American aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart, celebrated his 116th birthday in April, receiving a pre-recorded video greeting from Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

The centenarian had seven children, 14 grandchildren, 25 great-grand children and 14 great-great grandchildren, and worked at a post office for about 40 years. After retiring, he took up farming which he continued to do until the age of 90.

Encouraged by Kimura and 94 other people in Kyotango’s 60,000-strong population who will this year be 100 years old or more, the city has launched a research project to examine their diets and find the secrets of their longevity.
    Indigohex is a retired fifty-three star surgeon-general who wishes that the Australian version of I Am A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here would get cancelled within less than a second of starting. The views reflected in the posts above and below this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Serebii.net, its owners or shareholders.

Indigohex: Serebii.net Forums' Voice

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...s-due-to-rains

At least five schools in Metro Manila suspended their afternoon classes Thursday due to heavy rain and floods brought by a thunderstorm.
    I was on my way to my school, which is one of those universities, a while ago when It rained really hard. Some of the roads were closed too and a lot of people (myself included) had to wade through the deluge to get home. Later, I found out almost all, if not all schools in Manila today suspended their classes.

Here are links to photos to show you what was it like. Hope for the best for everyone here in Manila...
    http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/photo...-due-to-floods
    http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/photo...heavy-downpour

- Nate the
    Last edited by nathandg0924; 13th June 2013 at 4:37 PM.

American Medical Association Classifies Obesity as a Disease

Quote Originally Posted by ABC News
    In perhaps its biggest policy change on weight and health to date, the AMA recognized obesity as a disease.

By changing obesity's status from "a major public health problem" to a chronic disease, Dr. Patrice Harris, a member of the AMA's board of trustees, said that the organization hoped to open up the range of medical interventions that could help the one-third of Americans now considered obese.

"We believe that raising the level of seriousness by classifying obesity as a disease may encourage third-party payers to increase coverage for treatment and may also encourage greater investment for study," she said.
    More excuses to give people more of an excuse to be obese (reminding me of when Congress declared pizza a vegetable). Yes, some people can't help it because of medical problems/results of a medical condition, genetics, and the like, but those are few and far in between. One typically becomes fat because they choose to not work out or to not eat good foods--and most just don't care for their weight. Which, okay, whatever, but your health is at risk. If you want to be unhealthy, fine, that's your choice, but don't go blaming other things for your own lifestyle choice. Cause and effect.

Whatever happened to responsibility these days? The whole argument on obesity (especially childhood obesity) is stupid and it's now just a dead horse they keep beating, but there should be no excuses.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    American Medical Association Classifies Obesity as a Disease

More excuses to give people more of an excuse to be obese (reminding me of when Congress declared pizza a vegetable). Yes, some people can't help it because of medical problems/results of a medical condition, genetics, and the like, but those are few and far in between. One typically becomes fat because they choose to not work out or to not eat good foods--and most just don't care for their weight. Which, okay, whatever, but your health is at risk. If you want to be unhealthy, fine, that's your choice, but don't go blaming other things for your own lifestyle choice. Cause and effect.

Whatever happened to responsibility these days? The whole argument on obesity (especially childhood obesity) is stupid and it's now just a dead horse they keep beating, but there should be no excuses.
    I think the point was to give doctors more leeway to help obese patients. IMO obesity becomes an addiction because you have this lifestyle and it's hard to stop, like smoking. and it's not like obese people get anything positive from obesity. their insurance goes up, their health is in danger, and they lose their dependency, which is degrading

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

Ex-gay group Exodus International shuts down, and its president apologizes to the LGBT community.

Exodus International, a group that bills itself as “the oldest and largest Christian ministry dealing with faith and homosexuality,” announced late Wednesday (June 19) that it’s shutting its doors.

The announcement came just after Exodus president Alan Chambers released a statement apologizing to the gay community for many actions, including the organization’s promotion of efforts to change a person’s sexual orientation.

Exodus functioned as a support group for men and women who were struggling with their sexual orientation, and early on embraced the idea that gays and lesbians could become straight through prayer and counseling.
    The largest promoter of the questionable "reparative/conversion therapy" movement shuts down. Chambers's apology is also mostly well-received, although it does make clear that the Christian theological position on homosexuality hasn't changed (despite decades of corrective attempts by all manner of medical, ethical and psychological professionals). At least this is one powerful organization no longer advocating a conclusively discredited and potentially damaging form of therapy. That's what real good news looks like.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...ues-to-go-down

At least 3,424 people in several provinces have been affected by Tropical Storm Gorio (Rumbia), while a part of a road in Benguet was closed due to the rains, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said Sunday night.

In its 6 p.m. update, the NDRRMC said the 686 families or 3,424 people are from 24 villages in five towns in MIMAROPA, Bicol and Eastern Visayas.

Of these, 324 families or 1,704 people are staying in 10 evacuation centers.

The NDRRMC also said the number of people stranded due to Gorio continued to go down, reaching 5,803 as of 6 p.m. as port operations resumed.
    Good thing the weather here is better now. While the damage that the typhoon wasn't that big compared to some that were worse, it did affect a lot of people nonetheless. I hope for the best for all those who were affected by the typhoon. Storms like that are common here due to our location on the globe so we always have to be prepared.

http://gma.yahoo.com/george-zimmerma...opstories.html

The prosecution seems to be floundering on the Zimmerman murder trial. I don't believe they'll be able to prove murder 2.

Hope more defense attorneys open with knock-knock jokes if he wins.

Quote Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
    http://gma.yahoo.com/george-zimmerma...opstories.html

The prosecution seems to be floundering on the Zimmerman murder trial. I don't believe they'll be able to prove murder 2.
    I thought since the minute that the special prosecutor charged him with second degree murder that it would most likely not hold up; a manslaughter conviction is much more probable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Pure View Post
    I thought since the minute that the special prosecutor charged him with second degree murder that it would most likely not hold up; a manslaughter conviction is much more probable in my opinion.
    I don't even see that. A self defense claim defeats that.

http://www.richardhornsby.com/crimes...tml#Definition

The crime of Manslaughter can be committed in one of three ways, either by:
    1.Manslaughter by Act: Committing an act that was neither excusable, nor justified that resulted in the death of another person.
    2.Manslaughter by Procurement: Persuading, inducing, or encouraging another person to commit an act that resulted in the death of another person.
    3.Manslaughter by Culpable Negligence: Engaging in “Culpably Negligent” conduct that resulted in the death of another person.
    So far, nothing in court has covered any of the above.

In addition to the pretrial defenses and trial defenses that can be raised in any criminal case, specific defenses to the crime of Manslaughter are:

Excusable Homicide

The killing of a human being is excusable, and therefore lawful, under any one of the following three circumstances:
    •When the killing is committed by accident and misfortune in doing any lawful act by lawful means with usual ordinary caution and without any unlawful intent, or
    •When the killing occurs by accident and misfortune in the heat of passion, upon any sudden and sufficient provocation, or
    •When the killing is committed by accident and misfortune resulting from a sudden combat, if a dangerous weapon is not used and the killing is not done in a cruel or unusual manner.

Justifiable Homicide

The killing of a human being is justifiable homicide and lawful if done while resisting an attempt by someone to kill you or to commit a felony against you.

Self Defense

Also known as the justified use of deadly force, self defense is a defense to the crime of Second Degree Murder. Please view the Florida Self Defense section for more information.
    Nothing has disproven GZ's claim of self defense.

I don't even see that. A self defense claim defeats that.

http://www.richardhornsby.com/crimes...tml#Definition

So far, nothing in court has covered any of the above.

Nothing has disproven GZ's claim of self defense.
    Those are good points. The only reason why I believe a manslaughter conviction is possible is because of some inconsistencies with GZ's story, the prosecution's claim of profiling, and the public outcry for some sort of justice for Trayvon. The argument that Zimmerman should have followed the dispatcher's (or whoever) advice rather than pursue Trayvon could be a strong one, but I really couldn't guess what the jury will decide as of now.

Those are good points. The only reason why I believe a manslaughter conviction is possible is because of some inconsistencies with GZ's story, the prosecution's claim of profiling, and the public outcry for some sort of justice for Trayvon. The argument that Zimmerman should have followed the dispatcher's (or whoever) advice rather than pursue Trayvon could be a strong one, but I really couldn't guess what the jury will decide as of now.
    Not following the advice is not illegal. And if you look at page two of the phone call transcript, it sounds like GZ stopped following him. The underlined section is what worries me. Society is supposed to be above punishment for the sake of punishment. "GZ should get jail time or else there'll be riots!!!!" If you defended yourself, would you be willing to be jailed or worse just to prevent riots?

http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...zimmerman.html

Not following the advice is not illegal.
    You're right, but knowing what happened (who followed who and who instigated) obviously helps decide who was at fault.

And if you look at page two of the phone call transcript, it sounds like GZ stopped following him.
    Maybe, but it doesn't prove that. Either way, if GZ did stop following Trayvon, why was there an altercation in the first place after he (Trayvon) was supposedly running away?

The underlined section is what worries me. Society is supposed to be above punishment for the sake of punishment. "GZ should get jail time or else there'll be riots!!!!"
    I completely agree, I was just noting that this jury might feel pressure to convict after the outrage of the Casey Anthony outcome in the same state.
    If you defended yourself, would you be willing to be jailed or worse just to prevent riots?

http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...zimmerman.html
    No.

GZ says that TM jumped him after GZ lost sight of him. It's a plausible story.

Maybe, but it doesn't prove that. Either way, if GZ did stop following Trayvon, why was there an altercation in the first place after he (Trayvon) was supposedly running away?
    Looking at a map made of the events

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8941/z6u2.jpg

Had to steal a image from Ace of Spades to show it here.

Anyway looking at the map, I would say it's possible that he doubled back and came at him.

Honestly I find it hard that Zimmerman would be found guilty, there were no grass stains on Martin's past if I recall, while there were on Zimmerman's, Martin had no injuries but the gunshot wound, and Zimmerman had numerous injuries to his head. All of these largely fit with his account, and as such there is more than enough reasonable doubt to find him not guilty.
    Last edited by BigLutz; 2nd July 2013 at 2:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post

Anyway looking at the map, I would say it's possible that he doubled back and came at him.

Honestly I find it hard that Zimmerman would be found guilty, there were no grass stains on Martin's past if I recall, while there were on Zimmerman's, Martin had no injuries but the gunshot wound, and Zimmerman had numerous injuries to his head. All of these largely fit with his account, and as such there is more than enough reasonable doubt to find him not guilty.
    There was enough doubt that the locals weren't going to charge him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post

Okay, I won't dispute this since it's plausible and I have not been following the case too closely. I guess it just depends on how the jury interprets the night's events and the law.

and I have not been following the case too closely
    Don't worry,you're just like the other 90% of America that doesn't care about high profile trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Don't worry,you're just like the other 90% of America that doesn't care about high profile trials.
    I'm pretty sure there's more than 10% of American checking in on the trial, you just not one of them.

The trial is simple, GZ shot Trayvon. That we know, people want they intend to let him off, or lock him up. Could go either way.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

We now have a military coup happening in Egypt, their constitution has been suspended and their president is now under house arrest. The future of this could have dramatic ramafactions for the entire region, especially if the military or next President decides to destroy the peace treat with Israel. On the other hand we may see a roadmap and president more willing to protect religious minorities

Edit: also now the worry could be about possible violent retaliation from the Muslim Brotherhood now that they have essentially been driven from power in a military coup
    Last edited by BigLutz; 3rd July 2013 at 11:09 PM.

In regards to the trial this just came in.
    Not only that but Zimmerman also lied about not being aware of the "Stand your ground law".
    They're also saying this whole trial could wrap up Friday.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast