Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/07/12...p-texas-again/
    How classy. You don't agree with someone, bring feces, bricks and urine to throw at them.

That sign marks the slow failure of a civilization, one undereducated child at a time.

More: So the pro-abortion side planned to smuggle tampons and condoms into the capitol and throw them at Republicans. The police caught wind of that and started confiscating the tampon-props. So, according to Eliza Vielma of Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst’s office, some protesters tried smuggling bricks into the capitol. And one was caught with a “bottle of feces.”

Update: A CNN producer confirms that DPS have had to confiscate several repulsive items that may constitute biohazards.

Also confiscated by DPS at #txlege, confetti, bottle of urine, bottle of feces, and cans of paint.

Besides 18 JARS OF FECES, TX DPS officers also discarded "significant quantities of feminine hygiene products, glitter and confetti."
    How is that going to change someone's mind?
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

Said one of the government officials at the above venue, "We're going to have strict enforcement. If there are any demonstrations, we are going to clear the gallery," Dewhurst said Thursday. "I hope we don't get to that point but if we do, we do. This is a democracy and we will not be interrupted from doing the people's work by an unruly mob."

In other words, these politicians will not be interrupted from doing the people's work by the people trying to tell them to for crying out loud stop what they're doing. The people followed the rules of decorum and dysfunctional democracy the first time, when they were represented through Wendy Davis's 13-hour filibuster. Then governor Perry called a special session to side-step that attempt at rule-abiding politics and get the bill passed despite it. Now these folks resorted to bringing those disgusting items of degradation to try and force Texas politicians to listen to their constituents, disgracing themselves in the process.

While I support the protection of decency by confiscating such nauseating projectiles, I have to chuckle at the irony of the situation. Tampons and condoms were confiscated out of concern they'd be thrown at the politicians responsible for forcing this bill, but guns were not confiscated (according to HuffPo reporting, anyway >_>). Apparently there was no fear that any of the liberals who wanted to make a scene and offend the conservatives would throw something like a bullet, at hundreds of meters per second. There is at least one political joke to be made from this. Texas conservatives are more afraid of being attacked with women's healthcare products than with guns; no wonder they're keen on controlling the former so much more than the latter. Yuk yuk yuk.

All teasing aside, this happening in the same timeframe as the North Carolina abortion regulations being passed on the back of an alleged motor cycle safety bill highlight some awfully distressing pitfalls in the ways legislation is conducted in our country. It's not just one party, either. The pork and shady dealings come from both sides, and while we still must take seriously our responsibility to show up at the polls on voting days and contribute to the direction of this society via electing representatives, it is just this kind of broken politics that most discourages us from believing anything we say or do can affect what goes on in town, state, and federal machinations. =/
    Last edited by Profesco; 13th July 2013 at 8:34 AM.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Said one of the government officials at the above venue, "We're going to have strict enforcement. If there are any demonstrations, we are going to clear the gallery," Dewhurst said Thursday. "I hope we don't get to that point but if we do, we do. This is a democracy and we will not be interrupted from doing the people's work by an unruly mob."

In other words, these politicians will not be interrupted from doing the people's work by the people trying to tell them they to for crying out loud stop what they're doing. The people followed the rules of decorum and dysfunctional democracy the first time, when they were represented through Wendy Davis's 13-hour filibuster. Then governor Perry called a special session to side-step that attempt at rule-abiding politics and get the bill passed despite it. Now these folks resorted to bringing those disgusting items of degradation to try and force Texas politicians to listen to their constituents, disgracing themselves in the process.

While I support the protection of decency by confiscating such nauseating projectiles, I have to chuckle at the irony of the situation. Tampons and condoms were confiscated out of concern they'd be thrown at the politicians responsible for forcing this bill, but guns were not confiscated (according to HuffPo reporting, anyway >_>). Apparently there was no fear that any of the liberals who wanted to make a scene and offend the conservatives would throw something like a bullet, at hundreds of meters per second. There is at least one political joke to be made from this. Texas conservatives are more afraid of being attacked with women's healthcare products than with guns; no wonder they're keen on controlling the former so much more than the latter. Yuk yuk yuk.

All teasing aside, this happening in the same timeframe as the North Carolina abortion regulations being passed on the back of an alleged motor cycle safety bill highlight some awfully distressing pitfalls in the ways legislation is conducted in our country. It's not just one party, either. The pork and shady dealings come from both sides, and while we still must take seriously our responsibility to show up at the polls on voting days and contribute to the direction of this society via electing representatives, it is just this kind of broken politics that most discourages us from believing anything we say or do can affect what goes on in town, state, and federal machinations. =/
    Just worth noting the poll from the University of Texas and even across the U.S. shows the public wants a ban on abortions past 20 weeks so they are listening to their constituents.
    Last edited by BigLutz; 13th July 2013 at 7:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Just worth noting the poll from the University of Texas and even across the U.S. shows the public wants a ban on abortions past 20 weeks so they are listening to their constituents.
    There were like three or four other things being done in that bill besides a ban on post-20 week abortions. If I come to your deli and ask for a sandwich with baloney and cheese, and you try to sell me a sandwich with baloney, banana peppers, liverwurst, and marmalade, you don't get to point to the baloney and say you're listening to my request. >_o;

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

I think it's about time someone pointed out how this is not okay. Politicians will always find a way to play the system, yes, if that is what they want to do, but I think it's about time we tighten the rules on this one.

I mean, seriously, has this ever done anything positive for us? And even then, why should we allow those who are dictating the rules we live by be allowed to sneak around like this? Why should they even need to? If their ideas are good enough and the people agree with them, then they should be able to get through on their own. If they don't, they clearly weren't meant to.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 13th July 2013 at 9:16 AM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

There were like three or four other things being done in that bill besides a ban on post-20 week abortions. If I come to your deli and ask for a sandwich with baloney and cheese, and you try to sell me a sandwich with baloney, banana peppers, liverwurst, and marmalade, you don't get to point to the baloney and say you're listening to my request. >_o;
    Alright then would you provide proof that the Constituents in Texas oppose such a thing?

The jury has reached a verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial, oh boy.

The US law system fails again.

Zimmerman not guilty.
    Ib4 Internet outrage!
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

In the original thread I said I believed he was not guilty I was the only one at the time, I feel vindicated now

In the original thread I said I believed he was not guilty I was the only one at the time, I feel vindicated now
    I never participated in that thread but I believed he was not guilty as well. There just wasn't enough evidence to suggest that it wasn't self defense.

Plus, tax payer money was saved so that's all good. No paying for Zimmerman's jail time.
    Last edited by ebevan91; 14th July 2013 at 4:36 AM.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

I knew he was going to get a "not guilty" verdict, I always believed he was innocent. The media, however, is not going to let this go. The media was all over it when he got arrested, they then went a little quiet over time, and once the trial started up and they were reporting it here and there. Now the media's freaking out over it because "Oh, a white-Hispanic man was proven not guilty!"

Seriously, this needs to be let go now. The man's life is already ruined because people (of the vocal minority, mind you, because not everyone cared about him or never believed he was guilty, or if they believed he was guilty, they kept quiet about it) out there know where he lives, and they're going to try and lynch him. The man needs to take his family and leave. Why are people taking up arms over this when a man and his family's lives are at stake here? It's sickening, and I'm sick of hearing about it.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

This is pretty much what I expected. But thanks for the riots and the reinforcement of reasons to not trust the justice system. We appreciate them.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Yeah it didn't surprise me all that much especially when they said Trayvon was on top. At that point I knew it's over the defense won.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

So now I'm expecting someone succeeding to hurt Zimmerman after being ruled Innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    Zimmerman not guilty.
    Ib4 Internet outrage!
    Only the racially insecure ones will be outraged because they see this as a racial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    I never participated in that thread but I believed he was not guilty as well. There just wasn't enough evidence to suggest that it wasn't self defense.

Plus, tax payer money was saved so that's all good. No paying for Zimmerman's jail time.
    What does tax payer money have to do with it? If someone is guilty and goes to jail people pay taxes for keeping the criminals away from the rest of civilization? THAT is where my parents' money is being placed?!
    <Signature in Progress>

Credit goes to FairyWitch of Flower Paradise Graphics!
    Proud member of Dracaena!

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I knew he was going to get a "not guilty" verdict, I always believed he was innocent. The media, however, is not going to let this go. The media was all over it when he got arrested, they then went a little quiet over time, and once the trial started up and they were reporting it here and there. Now the media's freaking out over it because "Oh, a white-Hispanic man was proven not guilty!"

Seriously, this needs to be let go now. The man's life is already ruined because people (of the vocal minority, mind you, because not everyone cared about him or never believed he was guilty, or if they believed he was guilty, they kept quiet about it) out there know where he lives, and they're going to try and lynch him. The man needs to take his family and leave. Why are people taking up arms over this when a man and his family's lives are at stake here? It's sickening, and I'm sick of hearing about it.
    I've been following this case all along, and I also think he was not guilty of second degree murder. At first I thought he shot the kid in cold blood. I changed my mind when a bullet expert testified something about the bullet wounds of the murdered only being possible if the victim was on top of Zimmerman. Self defense at that point. I think he should have charged something, but you said it so well, Kutie Pie. Zimmerman is basically going to be punished the rest of his life, alongside his family, due to the media hype the case has received. His life will never be normal again. While it isn't prison per say, he has to live with this and how people view him for the rest of his life.

I have a lot of my POC (people of color) friends are fuming on facebook right now about the injustices and how the case means that white people think it is okay to shoot black kids in hoodies. I love my friends to death, but they just don't have all the facts. The jury did not give the verdict they gave because they were racist and Zimmerman had "white privilege".

They were presented the evidence and agreed it wasn't enough to prove the Zimmerman intentionally killed Martin beyond a reasonable doubt. Also, to most white people, Zimmerman never would have been mistaken for white. At all. He has too much complexion. My whole entirely white family could tell he was at least mixed the moment they saw him. So did my friend's white family. And my cousin's white family. And more entirely white families I knew.

The media happened to pick pictures with lighting that lessened Zimmerman's darker complexion. They probably did it to hype/sell the story and spin it as a race issue of "big whitey killing the poor innocent black kid". The media would not be able to sell a story about a grown man doing an idiotic thing, chasing a kid obviously not doing anything, being overpowered by said kid who perceived the angry gun-wielding Zimmerman as a threat. The kid got too rough and after Zimmerman's head was knocked on concrete with the kid on top of him, he got scared/mad and shot Martin.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/14...hooting-death/

Most of the California demonstrations proved peaceful, although matters were marred by sporadic reports of stray violence and vandalism, including the halt of a passenger train, the burning of American and California flags, the lighting of small fires in city roadways, shattered storefront windows and the spray painting of a courthouse, as well as the damaging of a police squad car.

In Oakland, police said about 100 people protested, with some among the crowd breaking windows and starting fires in the streets. As the protest eventually fizzled, the office of police information added that it had no word of any arrests as of 2 a.m. local time.

However, some Oakland marchers reportedly vandalized a police squad car, and police were -- at one point - forced to form a line to block the protesters' path.

The Oakland Tribune reported some downtown office windows had been shattered, and footage from a television helicopter portrayed people starting fires in the street and spray painting anti-police graffiti. Protesters, there, also reportedly burned an American, and California state flag and spray painted Alameda County's Davidson courthouse.
    How does destroying things in CA fit in with protesting a trial verdict in FL?

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Vibrava View Post
    The media happened to pick pictures with lighting that lessened Zimmerman's darker complexion. They probably did it to hype/sell the story and spin it as a race issue of "big whitey killing the poor innocent black kid". The media would not be able to sell a story about a grown man doing an idiotic thing, chasing a kid obviously not doing anything, being overpowered by said kid who perceived the angry gun-wielding Zimmerman as a threat.
    The media also so "happened" to pick pictures of Martin all smiling and happy (when he had recent pictures of him prior to his death showing he was a thug) to help further prove their case. The whole thing backfired because of our great justice system, and so now they're freaking out and spreading the chaos even further. I can bet you anything the opposite would've happened had he been found guilty. You would've gotten people prancing in the streets instead of causing destruction such as the story LDSman brought up, and the media would be shouting it happily from the rooftops instead of scrambling for an excuse.

This is seriously pre-Civil Rights movement all over again just flipped on its head. Yes, issues of race are never going to go away completely, but for Pete's sake, this is the 21st century, we're not Neanderthals anymore. This poison should've been expelled from our country after the Civil Rights movement, and yet look at the mess we're in right now. This is reminding me of the riots of 1991 out of outrage of police brutality and racism, though I don't know which of these two riots are worse--both out on the streets and what they're rioting against.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Or there would have been joyous destruction. As what happens after some major games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    The media also so "happened" to pick pictures of Martin all smiling and happy (when he had recent pictures of him prior to his death showing he was a thug) to help further prove their case. The whole thing backfired because of our great justice system, and so now they're freaking out and spreading the chaos even further. I can bet you anything the opposite would've happened had he been found guilty. You would've gotten people prancing in the streets instead of causing destruction such as the story LDSman brought up, and the media would be shouting it happily from the rooftops instead of scrambling for an excuse.

This is seriously pre-Civil Rights movement all over again just flipped on its head. Yes, issues of race are never going to go away completely, but for Pete's sake, this is the 21st century, we're not Neanderthals anymore. This poison should've been expelled from our country after the Civil Rights movement, and yet look at the mess we're in right now. This is reminding me of the riots of 1991 out of outrage of police brutality and racism, though I don't know which of these two riots are worse--both out on the streets and what they're rioting against.
    First off, Human nature tends to view things differently and notice things are different. Every country has racial stereotypes and in some cases racial persecution (Hutu's and Tutsi's of Africa comes to mind). Although humans are beginning to rtract from that primitive behavior, nature still prevails. We can't help but make differences and judge, and if we do so, we'll make big deals about it when conflicts between races occur!

Second thing, we also tend to believe the stereotypes and try to conform in order to stay socially level, but that only creates alot more tension between races. Not all African-Americans need to conform to the stereotypical thug image, but it's only to keep them socially accepted by those of their own race or image.

And we have to get rid of this stupid stereotype of what kind of person someone is by what they wear. Zimmerman does not look like the racist type -he's white and live in Florida, but no that doesn't automatically label him as racist-, but he claimed to see Martin as shady. All Martin was doing was wearing a hoody.
    If Martin was shot because he looked shady and all he was wearing was a hoody, which isn't the actual case, I would've considered Zimmerman to deserve 'guilty' because just because you wear your hoody at night does not make you a thug! It's an image that makes one socially accepted by his/her own crowd.
    <Signature in Progress>

Credit goes to FairyWitch of Flower Paradise Graphics!
    Proud member of Dracaena!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFruit View Post
    Zimmerman does not look like the racist type -he's white and live in Florida, but no that doesn't automatically label him as racist-, but he claimed to see Martin as shady. All Martin was doing was wearing a hoody.
    If Martin was shot because he looked shady and all he was wearing was a hoody, which isn't the actual case, I would've considered Zimmerman to deserve 'guilty' because just because you wear your hoody at night does not make you a thug! It's an image that makes one socially accepted by his/her own crowd.
    Zimmerman is hispanic, not white. Martin was wandering in the rain, looking at houses, acting oddly(per Zimmerman), in an area that had experienced burglaries.

In a debate thread about it, I'm pretty sure I was on the side of "not guilty." It is also possible that I had just been pressing the question, "Is there doubt about guilt?" Either way, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Vibrava View Post
    I have a lot of my POC (people of color) friends are fuming on facebook right now about the injustices and how the case means that white people think it is okay to shoot black kids in hoodies. I love my friends to death, but they just don't have all the facts. The jury did not give the verdict they gave because they were racist and Zimmerman had "white privilege".

I agree. In fact, many of the details about this may be the exact opposite of "white privilege." If what I've heard is correct, the NAACP is filing a suit with the Department of Justice alleging a "civil rights violation" on the part of Zimmerman. But if the racial roles had been reversed, nobody would have been able to expect to get the justice department to hear them after a jury acquitted a black man. Please, nobody misunderstand what I'm saying, but this is an example of "black privilege."

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-prot...075210080.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Protesters ran through Los Angeles streets Monday night, breaking windows, attacking people on sidewalks and raiding a Wal-Mart store, while others blocked a major freeway in the San Francisco Bay area in the third night of demonstrations in California over George Zimmerman's Florida acquittal in the killing of Trayvon Martin.

Fourteen people were arrested after multiple acts of vandalism and several assaults in Los Angeles' Crenshaw District. One man was seen in the street with a head injury and a TV crew received minor injuries in an assault.
    This is really helpful for your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-prot...075210080.html

This is really helpful for your cause.
    I also love how Benjamin Crump, the Martin family attorney, stated how he was more worried about riots if Zimmerman was found guilty, since the Trayvon supporters are so peaceful. His words, not mine.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/16...r-officer-gun/

Pittsburgh police say a 6-year-old boy went for an officer's gun and then bit the officer before being sent for psychiatric treatment.

The Associated Press is not identifying the boy because he is too young to be charged with a crime in Pennsylvania.

Police on Monday revealed the incident happened Friday evening when Officer Paul Abel encountered the boy and several other children accused of stealing bicycles.

Police say the officer held the boy away from his body to control him, but the boy tried to kick out the windows of a squad car and was briefly handcuffed for his own safety.

Cmdr. RaShall Brackney says the officer is upset because he "had to use force on a 6-year-old" whose face was bruised during the incident.

The boy tells WPXI-TV: "I tried to take the cop's gun."

Feral children in the US?

Edit:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...est=latestnews

Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt and the attorneys general of 11 other states sued the Environmental Protection Agency Tuesday, demanding that the agency turn over documents the states allege will show the agency cooperates with environmental groups as part of a "sue and settle" legal strategy to develop regulations.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Oklahoma City, alleges that binding consent decrees between the EPA and environmental groups that have sued the agency over the years have led to new rules and regulations for states without allowing their attorneys general to defend their interests and those of its businesses and consumers.
    I can actually see the EPA working with environmental groups. If this is true, should the EPA be disbanded?
    Last edited by LDSman; 17th July 2013 at 9:33 PM.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast