Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

Default Neil Armstrong Dead at 82

Neil Armstrong, the First man on the moon just died at the age of 82.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87O0B020120825

Ah, just saw that on MSN. That's sad, a man of history is now gone. But I guess that's to be expected, he was getting old, though I figured he would've gone in a few more years. Didn't know he had heart surgery. Though I guess at his age, heart surgery probably is useless. Either way, he shall be missed. He made his mark here, I think that's good enough for him.

Godspeed, Armstrong. Take that next small step for man into the next life.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I've just heard about Armstrong's death. Whilst undoubtedly being a sad moment at least he lead a long and fulfilling life.

In lighter news, this is probably one of my favourite news stories from this week. It reports about an old woman who attempted (without permission) to restore a 19th-century church fresco that deteriorated due to damp. The visual result of her attempt is hilarious.
    Running for the thrill of it

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    In lighter news, this is probably one of my favourite news stories from this week. It reports about an old woman who attempted (without permission) to restore a 19th-century church fresco that deteriorated due to damp. The visual result of her attempt is hilarious.
    Oh gosh, that story. I don't care that the woman's elderly, she should've known better than to have done that. We don't know if she have dementia or what, I have not seen any news story that mentioned it, but until that fact shows up, I'm calling her a dimwit, and I'm also calling everyone else who worked at the church a dimwit for not stopping her the moment she raised the brush to the painting.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Oh gosh, that story. I don't care that the woman's elderly, she should've known better than to have done that. We don't know if she have dementia or what, I have not seen any news story that mentioned it, but until that fact shows up, I'm calling her a dimwit, and I'm also calling everyone else who worked at the church a dimwit for not stopping her the moment she raised the brush to the painting.
    I agree with you there. But in this article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...co-repair.html), she claimed that she wasn't finished with the "restoration", and I also read somewhere that she claimed to had "permission" to do it. Why didn't they stop her is beyond this correspondent's logic?
    Indigohex is a retired fifty-three star surgeon-general who wishes that the Australian version of I Am A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here would get cancelled within less than a second of starting. The views reflected in the posts above and below this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Serebii.net, its owners or shareholders.

Indigohex: Serebii.net Forums' Voice

Quote Originally Posted by indigohex View Post
    I agree with you there. But in this article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...co-repair.html), she claimed that she wasn't finished with the "restoration", and I also read somewhere that she claimed to had "permission" to do it. Why didn't they stop her is beyond this correspondent's logic?
    Yup, I read somewhere too on MSN where it said she had "permission". Um... if she had "permission", she would have to be a certified artist, and getting paid to restore the painting. It's pretty obvious she took it upon herself to take acryllics and just paint away. The question is when was she doing this. Was this at night, or during the day time when people are working (I'm pretty sure the churches are open every day, if not 24/7) and thus could see her? Was this done in one day, or was this done longer? There's quite a few more questions that do need to be asked.
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    My grandma told me about that recently, I lol'd it was so bad.

Tropical Storm Issac Now Hurricane Issac

At 12:20 p.m. ET, Isaac had 75 mph sustained winds, a mile above the speed needed for a Category 1 hurricane.

National Hurricane Center Director Rick Knabb said "rain bands will become more frequent and more potent" along the northern Gulf of Mexico coast as the day goes on.

Isaac is very wide as storms go, with tropical storm-force winds stretching 185 miles from its center. Hurricane-force winds extend out 60 miles.
    For all those living by the Gulf Coast, hope you are prepared and/or safe. It shouldn't be too bad for a Category 1 hurricane, but you're strong people (living by the Coast, you pretty much have to be). You'll be able to make it through.

I'm personally looking at the positive side of this rain Issac has. It may go out into the Midwest and help give them water to get out of the drought (if they haven't already), and we might get some of it out here, too. Sacrifices may have to be made (though we hope there aren't casualties), but there's always a reward to go along with it. That's the way I see it.
    I survived Pupa.

Old man yells at chair

Clint Eastwood, the secret guest at Thursday’s closing night of the Republican convention, surprised everyone with a head-scratching, ad libbed speech in which he pretended to talk to and make fun of an invisible President Obama on the stage.
    It's exactly what it sounds like. Eastwood/Invisible Obama 2016
    Last edited by Artorias; 2nd September 2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: quote from article

Default Promising?

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/promising-f...063003562.html

Spoiler:- see for yourself:

Oh really, pretty much for us, its too late to bring our peso value to dollar or Euro value. Marketing is Philippines last resort to prosper. Its just that the community is too laid back and most are corrupted.

were just not built for massive marketing thats why.

Which means we blame the wife of President Ferdinand Marcos. She drove him to corruption too much. yet today, she still lives not in prison. She's still gold and glamour for some of us. but in truth, our government and political history quite sucks.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 2nd September 2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Munchlax View Post
    Hahaha, this is priceless. Also pretty uncomfortable.

9/11 memorial being treated like Disneyland rather than a, you know, memorial to commemorate the dead.

At the National September 11th Memorial, tourists balance coffee cups and soda bottles on the parapets bearing the names of the dead.

Parents hoist their children to sit on the bronze plaques, while other visitors splash water from the two waterfalls onto their faces to cool themselves on a hot summer day.
    This is why the terrorists win. Every single time.

Update: Introducing the dumbest blonde in the universe.

An Israeli model and actress has admitted to a six-year romantic relationship with Col. Muammar Gaddafi’s son Saif and appealed to former British prime minister Tony Blair to intervene to save his life. The son of the late Libyan dictator currently faces the death penalty in his native Libya, where he is about to go on trial for his alleged part in the killing of protesters during last year’s civil war.

Orly Weinerman, 41 — who played a dumb blonde in the 1990s hit Israeli TV show “Shemesh,” and was a Hebrew gossip column regular — had previously denied her romance with Gaddafi. But she acknowledged on Sunday that they were in a “discreet” relationship that began in London in 2005, when they were introduced by mutual friends, and that ended only when the civil war broke out in 2011. According to a Daily Mail report, she said that although there was tension in the relationship because of their conflicting backgrounds, there was even talk of marriage before the end.
    And yes, that's her name.
    Last edited by Artorias; 4th September 2012 at 11:22 AM.

Old man yells at chair
    That was sad and dissapointing. I actually expected better from him.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

That pisses me off. I just want to smack every literate adult upside the head because the big blue sign is freakin' right there. Damn hippies.

Okay, I don't mind star-crossed lovers, but you don't continue a relationship if there's tension due to conflicting backgrounds. Stupid woman, don't plead his case. I don't know if he had anything to do with what his father did, but he possibly has his father's mindset.
    I survived Pupa.

FBI reports that they have successfully destroyed all evidence of being hacked.

Previous article, saying that AntiSec hacked into the FBI's database and snatched 12 million Apple device IDs from them.

The FBI said today that it does not know anything about a laptop that hackers say they compromised and that led them to millions of Apple iOS device user details, of which 1 million have been released on the Web.
    And now, friends, for another totally legitimate DMCA takedown, this time on the DNC.

YouTube, the official streaming partner of the Democratic National Convention, put a copyright blocking message on the livestream video of the event shortly after it ended, which was embedded prominently at BarackObama.com and DemConvention2012.
    And yeah, both of them are tech-related. Because I love tech, and I hate the direction it's headed, especially in terms of copyright and privacy issues.

especially in terms of copyright and privacy issues.
    I know right.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

Congratulations. We've wiped out the Japanese river otter.

The Japanese Ministry of the Environment has declared the Japanese River Otter to be extinct, since no person has seen the species in the wild in over 30 years.
    Humanity, go sit in the corner. Again.

Samsung releases the iPhone 5.

The firm said it was 18% thinner and 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S. However, it does not feature an NFC (near field communication) chip to allow it to make touchless payments.
    Incidentally, both Samsung and HTC are suing Apple over the LTE tech in the phone. Welcome to two years ago, Apple.
    Last edited by Artorias; 13th September 2012 at 2:12 PM.

Congratulations. We've wiped out the Japanese river otter.

Humanity, go sit in the corner. Again.
    Calm down, we still have otters. I didn't even know the Japanese had an otter. And as some of us here are under thirty, we had nothing to do with it. *glides away*

Samsung releases the iPhone 5.

Incidentally, both Samsung and HTC are suing Apple over the LTE tech in the phone. Welcome to two years ago, Apple.
    I didn't bother to stay around to listen to the news when it was announced. All I could think of is "STOP IT APPLE". And I thought it was Samsung who had been sued, but now they're suing back? Wow, just... wow. I'm so glad I could care less about what goes on in the Apple world and all things starting with the letter "i" and all even though I have a MacBook Pro.

In other news, more unrest in the Middle East.

Yemeni security forces fired into the air as demonstrators reached the [U.S.] embassy's grounds. Protesters managed to set fire to a building inside the compound but were forced by security forces to pull back after trying to take furniture and computers.
    I have no idea what this movie is, but why should they care? They're only giving themselves an even worse reputation than they already have throwing huge fits over opinionated movies or whatever. Far as I know, it was just an independent movie, and it wasn't going to go overseas anyway.
    I survived Pupa.

That pisses me off. I just want to smack every literate adult upside the head because the big blue sign is freakin' right there. Damn hippies.
    Yes, clearly anyone being disrespectful is a hippie.

Second of all, who are you all to judge how people should mourn/celebrate the deceased and assume that these people are completely oblivious to the monument? Banning smiles, children, and any attempt at fun sounds like an inhumane and disrespectful thing to do to those who risked their lives so other could live. I can understand sitting on monuments or spilling coffee and food being disrespectful; I get museums, which is also why I can say that not everyone responds, processes, and interprets this in one uniformed fashion.

Excuse me, but aren't iPhones produced by Apple, not Samsung, unless I've suddenly been teleported into an alternate dimension in the last five minutes or so?

Default Iphone 5!!!!

Check out the iphone 5. What do you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHL...s&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    Excuse me, but aren't iPhones produced by Apple, not Samsung, unless I've suddenly been teleported into an alternate dimension in the last five minutes or so?
    thatsthejoke.jpg

If you've followed the Apple/Samsung legal blah, you'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by destimon pokeruction View Post
    Check out the iphone 5. What do you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHL...s&feature=plcp
    It's the same phone with tech already on the market. Nothing special. Carry on.

Malaria outbreak in the USA, scary stuff.

Epicenter is Texas, but cases have been found in every state on the continental US.

118 deaths, 2600 cases, and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) predicts it will worsen.

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    Malaria outbreak in the USA, scary stuff.

Epicenter is Texas, but cases have been found in every state on the continental US.

118 deaths, 2600 cases, and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) predicts it will worsen.
    Can you prove this? It sounds serious, but without a source, I'm not going to buy any prediction or whatnot about this malaria outbreak which I haven't heard about on the news. I would've seen it by now. And even then, the numbers are rather small for a 314+ million population. If this is true, I'm personally not worried. Out here in Arizona, I'm more likely to get West Nile than malaria, and we haven't had an outbreak in a good few years.
    I survived Pupa.

Can you prove this? It sounds serious, but without a source, I'm not going to buy any prediction or whatnot about this malaria outbreak which I haven't heard about on the news. I would've seen it by now. And even then, the numbers are rather small for a 314+ million population. If this is true, I'm personally not worried. Out here in Arizona, I'm more likely to get West Nile than malaria, and we haven't had an outbreak in a good few years.
    I searched for a possible source on the Internet, but I came up with nothing. I have not heard of this outbreak either, but if it is real, 118 death and 2600 cases are pretty serious.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast